What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Andy Isabella, BAL (1 Viewer)

Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said rookie WR Andy Isabella is going to play "mostly outside wide receiver for the time being."

With Christian Kirk (ankle) and Damiere Byrd (hamstring) doubtful for Sunday, all signs pointed to Isabella being unleashed in the slot alongside Larry Fitzgerald. Kingsbury instead opted for KR Pharoh Cooper (signed Tuesday) to move inside with Isabella playing behind KeeSean Johnson and Trent Sherfield on the sidelines. The highest-drafted of the Cardinals' three rookie wideouts, No. 62 overall pick Isabella can play on the outside, but it logically doesn't make sense to keep him bottled as No. 5 on the depth chart (if true). Isabella led the nation in receiving yards (1,698) and yards per route run (4.15) as a senior but should strictly be considered a large-pool DFS option and dynasty acquisition until further notice.

SOURCE: Kyle Odegard on Twitter

Oct 2, 2019, 2:56 PM ET

This whole thing is really confusing to me. They've been using no names and signing washed up guys to play instead of Isabella. Either he's not very good or Kinsbury is pretty dumb.

This whole thing is really confusing to me. They've been using no names and signing washed up guys to play instead of Isabella. Either he's not very good or Kinsbury is pretty dumb.
I agree, at least give him a chance to show what he can do. They must not like what they have seen so far with lack of playing time he has gotten. 

Or he got hurt and was behind... he hurt his knee and then after that was "a work in progress"

Your dislike of Isabella is well documented in this thread. I'm not surprised you would give these two very incorrect options, when option C is the correct one 

Last edited by a moderator:
They have not yet unleashed Kyler Murray. When they do I think Isabella will benefit
I've seen this posted a few times by different people on forums/twitter and have been confused by this "unleashing" that is supposedly about to happen this year. 

As a Kyler Murray owner in a couple of redraft leagues, including my dynasty league, I have to ask.....What the hell are they waiting for?

To me it's pretty simple, their o-line is the big issue. Kyler doesn't get enough help from them to throw enough deep bombs. I would love to be wrong, but other than being due for some positive TD regression in the redzone, I'm not expecting some "unleashing" here

I've seen this posted a few times by different people on forums/twitter and have been confused by this "unleashing" that is supposedly about to happen this year. 

As a Kyler Murray owner in a couple of redraft leagues, including my dynasty league, I have to ask.....What the hell are they waiting for?

To me it's pretty simple, their o-line is the big issue. Kyler doesn't get enough help from them to throw enough deep bombs. I would love to be wrong, but other than being due for some positive TD regression in the redzone, I'm not expecting some "unleashing" here
Oh it's coming......

Oh it's coming......
I hope so, but I'm thinking it is what it is at this point due to that crap o-line. But again, they're 100% due for some positive redzone regression so just by default they should produce bigger fantasy days from here on out. 

I hope so, but I'm thinking it is what it is at this point due to that crap o-line. But again, they're 100% due for some positive redzone regression so just by default they should produce bigger fantasy days from here on out. 
On pace for 

4284 passing

452 rushing

And close to 20 total TDs........

This is the first 4 games of his career and a tough schedule to start.....with him running below EV on TDs. 

On pace for 

4284 passing

452 rushing

And close to 20 total TDs........

This is the first 4 games of his career and a tough schedule to start.....with him running below EV on TDs. 
Exactly my point, I'm expecting similar yardage but an uptick in TD's

Thanks to Faust and Dr. Dan for pushing this thread up. I picked up Isabella tonight, dropping Gesicki. I don't expect much but Isabella has speed and now an opportunity so he is worth a lottery ticket for the moment.

“Positive regression” That’s funny.

Holding tight on this one in dynasty, not every rookie WR just goes straight in and starts putting up points 

Positive regression to me would mean the same as positive correlation, the regression line has positive slope; as the x increases so does the y.  'Positive regression' to the mean seems to be invented by fantasy football. A google search of the phrase shows the top 3 results are FF stuff. "Positive" or "negative" to differentiate whether the variable increases or decreases towards the average, I've never heard of it.

Back to the subject, Arizona is an interesting regression case. They're on pace to break the record for plays ran, 70% of them pass attempts. Kyler has 6.3 ypa and a TD percentage of 2.37%. So there's extreme volume and extreme efficiency (or lack thereof).

Positive regression to me would mean the same as positive correlation, the regression line has positive slope; as the x increases so does the y.  'Positive regression' to the mean seems to be invented by fantasy football. A google search of the phrase shows the top 3 results are FF stuff. "Positive" or "negative" to differentiate whether the variable increases or decreases towards the average, I've never heard of it.

Back to the subject, Arizona is an interesting regression case. They're on pace to break the record for plays ran, 70% of them pass attempts. Kyler has 6.3 ypa and a TD percentage of 2.37%. So there's extreme volume and extreme efficiency (or lack thereof).
Nope.  A “regression line” is not the same thing as “regression to the mean,” which is very much a thing.

Regression to the mean refers to the tendency over repeated instances for the sample average to approach the population average.  It arises from the fact that outcomes very far above or below the mean are unlikely, making it more likely that the next outcome lies in the direction of the mean.

You won’t find a lot of hits for “positive regression to the mean” because statisticians understand regression can go both ways,  It’s only when the term started creeping into fantasy football that this became an issue.  Early analysts focused on regression in the context of “last year’s breakout star is unlikely to repeat” and not on “this guy underperformed and is due for a breakout,” so people for whom the term was new decided it meant “going backward.”  (Quite reasonable since in other contexts “regress” is to move one way and “progress” is to move the other.)

The concept of “positive regression” has been people attempting to correct this misconception by pointing out instances of the other side of the concept of regression to the mean in FF.

Signed,

Your Friendly Neighborhood Statistics Teacher

It is poor phrasing to say regression to the mean when you are talking about the direction of movement of the variable increasing.

Whether statisticians know what they mean by this or not. Its poor communication of the idea because you could just say progression toward the mean in this case as a more accurate descriptor.

Isabella has no stats to regress or progress to. I presume this is referring to the entire offense being below what is expected on average for TD thrown per attempt and so on not matching up.

Well this offense is different than the alagamation of passing stats from 32 different teams and QBs.

Rookie QB. Rookie head coach. I wouldnt be thinking in these sorts of terms in regards to this offense right now.

It is poor phrasing to say regression to the mean when you are talking about the direction of movement of the variable increasing.

Whether statisticians know what they mean by this or not. Its poor communication of the idea because you could just say progression toward the mean in this case as a more accurate descriptor.

Isabella has no stats to regress or progress to. I presume this is referring to the entire offense being below what is expected on average for TD thrown per attempt and so on not matching up.

Well this offense is different than the alagamation of passing stats from 32 different teams and QBs.

Rookie QB. Rookie head coach. I wouldnt be thinking in these sorts of terms in regards to this offense right now.
Well, aside from the fact that you would be coining the phrase "progression to the mean" which has no meaning in statistics, whereas regression to the mean has been around for over a century.

But by all means make you your own terminology rather than teaching the masses to use the words we already have properly.  It seems to be the way of things.

Well, aside from the fact that you would be coining the phrase "progression to the mean" which has no meaning in statistics, whereas regression to the mean has been around for over a century.

But by all means make you your own terminology rather than teaching the masses to use the words we already have properly.  It seems to be the way of things.
Yeah why would we try to say things correctly? Even though "regression to the mean" is deep seeded in statistical history, these phrases seem one in the same. Especially when people just dont understand, ignorance is always the better method. Casing point, no one here really seemed to realize what regression to the mean meant, but everyone can understand what progression to the mean implies. If you think we can help increase the understanding of these topics and awareness of proper terms, you've got another thing coming. 

but everyone can understand what progression to the mean implies.
I know you're being funny, but to follow up on my actual point:  this isn't correct.  No one understood "progression to the mean."  It was invented because of misunderstanding regression, and has had to be repeatedly explained for it to take hold as a fantasy football concept.

The correct view is to see the mean as the normal state, and the outlier as being movement away from it.  Calling it "returning to the mean" would have the same meaning as "regression," and perhaps more clearly explain why regression is a valid word.  It is regression (backward movement) in the sense of going back toward the mean, which is the default state.

Progression would imply something changing over time, whereas the presumption here is that there is a mean, and that each "season" is a random variation off of that mean, and not a trend "progressing" in any particular direction,

I know you're being funny, but to follow up on my actual point:  this isn't correct.  No one understood "progression to the mean."  It was invented because of misunderstanding regression, and has had to be repeatedly explained for it to take hold as a fantasy football concept.

The correct view is to see the mean as the normal state, and the outlier as being movement away from it.  Calling it "returning to the mean" would have the same meaning as "regression," and perhaps more clearly explain why regression is a valid word.  It is regression (backward movement) in the sense of going back toward the mean, which is the default state.

Progression would imply something changing over time, whereas the presumption here is that there is a mean, and that each "season" is a random variation off of that mean, and not a trend "progressing" in any particular direction,
I agree

I was being facetious. I dont know why people make up terms or use incorrect terms. happens far too often. As a medical professional, seeing medical terms and theories thrown around that are flat out incorrect makes me shake my head. I get grief when I point out the error. Hope you are more fortunate 

TartanLion said:
Holding tight on this one in dynasty, not every rookie WR just goes straight in and starts putting up points 
Completely agree but it’s still super weird to me that he’s a second round pick, the type of player who should be perfect for this offense, and yet he’s still buried behind basically WR3s and practice squad guys. 

Arodin said:

All words and phrases are made up and agreed upon. Some times only because of hubris or because that's the way it's been for a long time. Language is continually evolving. Including phrases for this term in the specialized field of statistics.

A more informative answer for the use of regression or return for this idea is that it is based on deductive reasoning. 

What we are talking about is movement of a value towards the point of origin which is the mean and describing the direction of that movement.  The process of doing so is deductive, so perhaps using the word progress interferes with understanding that?

U of Texas added the top RB,  arguably the top HS player-Gatorade player of the year, and his coach has been subbing him in at slot and not letting him play RB. He said he's going to change the position and revolutionize the game. I don't know about all that, but it does look different. He takes hits, gives hits, and it's different, but is he wrecking that kid's future? Or is he helping with the dime a dozen RB culture of the NFL? 

Why bring this up?

Kingsbury was asked about this before he said Isabella is playing outside. Then he said David Johnson and Chase Edmunds will be in the slot.

I don't think the full story is presented here so I just wanted to pass this along.

My opinion- Kingsbury would totally try and lead a trend and this absolutely suits his ego. I still think it's wiser to play a WR at slot and for FF guys to plan on it. Maybe Fitz is inside? I'm gonna throw some DFS $ at Edmunds and Johnson but otherwise, I'll have to believe it when I see it

FBG does have both bits in their news emails. I think it's just reporters making two stories of it.

Week 5 snaps and utilization for AZ WR

L.Fitzgerald 57 snaps (74%)8 targets 6 receptions 58 yards
K.Johnson 73 snaps (95%) 1 rushing attempt 3 yards 7 targets 3 receptions 22 yards 
T.Sherfield 59 snaps (77%) 3 targets 1 reception 23 yards
P.Cooper 18 snaps (23%) 1 target 1 reception 5 yards
A.Isabella 10 snaps (13%) 2 rushing attempts 11 yards

The Cardinals played two TE for over 50% of the snaps. Charles Clay had one reception for 27 yards.

He didn't get any targets but at least they did get the ball in his hands despite playing the fewest snaps of the WR.

I guess I need to learn who Sherfield is and why he is playing so much.

Some stuff about Isabella according to the HC

With Kirk and Byrd injured, rookie receiver Andy Isabella, Arizona's second-round pick, will get more snaps. Isabella has played just eight offensive snaps this season, with seven coming Sunday against Seattle. Kingsbury took the blame for Isabella's lack of production -- he hasn't caught a pass this season.

"Up to this point, it's really just about fit," Kingsbury said. "We've moved him around several places and backing up Christian, backing up [Larry Fitzgerald], it's hard to get on the field. And we're going to continue to try and get him comfortable at one spot.

"I expect him to continue to get more time. And it's not for lack of effort or talent or anything like that. It's just we moved him around and I think it's slowed his development a little bit."

Btw Matthew Barry used the phrase progression to the mean on his show earlier today.

And all statisticians cringed in horror over nothing I suppose.

He was worth a lottery ticket but it looks like a bust. Time to move on.
for redraft sure. for dynasty the guy is in a great spot for 2020. They keep moving him around because he is so versatile. It is slowing his progression, but once Fitz retires and that wr group shakes out a bit more, Isabella is primed for a big 2nd and 3rd year. 

Week 5 snaps and utilization for AZ WR

L.Fitzgerald 57 snaps (74%)8 targets 6 receptions 58 yards
K.Johnson 73 snaps (95%) 1 rushing attempt 3 yards 7 targets 3 receptions 22 yards 
T.Sherfield 59 snaps (77%) 3 targets 1 reception 23 yards
P.Cooper 18 snaps (23%) 1 target 1 reception 5 yards
A.Isabella 10 snaps (13%) 2 rushing attempts 11 yards

The Cardinals played two TE for over 50% of the snaps. Charles Clay had one reception for 27 yards.

He didn't get any targets but at least they did get the ball in his hands despite playing the fewest snaps of the WR.

I guess I need to learn who Sherfield is and why he is playing so much.
Damiere Byrd was out. 

Damiere Byrd was out. 
Yup.

I guess Sherfield was with the team last season and even made some plays late n the year when I was not paying any attention to them.

I didn't find out much else before I got bored. Maybe a Cardinals fan could tell us more about him?

for redraft sure. for dynasty the guy is in a great spot for 2020. They keep moving him around because he is so versatile. It is slowing his progression, but once Fitz retires and that wr group shakes out a bit more, Isabella is primed for a big 2nd and 3rd year. 
But don't you expect to see a bit more out of a guy?  

Yup.

I guess Sherfield was with the team last season and even made some plays late n the year when I was not paying any attention to them.

I didn't find out much else before I got bored. Maybe a Cardinals fan could tell us more about him?
He's good on special teams. He probably doesn't make most teams in the nfl. He's a below average receiving talent.

But don't you expect to see a bit more out of a guy?  
I'd be lying if I said I wasnt a little disappointed in his progression so far, but I dont see it as a death sentence. I mean look at Michael Gallup last year compared to this year. I see a similar path to starting. 

I dont expect wrs to break out their rookie season. For some owners the sky is falling if their rookie isn't an immediate success. great opportunity to buy. This offense, when it is finally clicking, will have so much volume there's going to easily be more than 1 relevant wr

I'd be lying if I said I wasnt a little disappointed in his progression so far, but I dont see it as a death sentence. I mean look at Michael Gallup last year compared to this year. I see a similar path to starting. 

I dont expect wrs to break out their rookie season. For some owners the sky is falling if their rookie isn't an immediate success. great opportunity to buy. This offense, when it is finally clicking, will have so much volume there's going to easily be more than 1 relevant wr
Gallup actually played in 16 games last year.  I don’t see the correlation.  

What’s alarming to me is that Isabella is a WR with an X factor in speed that the Cards could use right now.  Yet as others have said, he’s seemingly about their 7th WR option.  I’d be less concerned if he was a more well rounded WR prospect and was taking time to adjust to the speed of the game, and not getting thrown to the Wolves because of that.  But I fully expected Isabella to be a guy that gets plenty of snaps simply to stress the defense.  But the only thing he’s stressing is his dynasty owners.  He can still develop, but I’m extremely concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread