What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Andy Isabella, BAL (4 Viewers)

socrates said:
Larry Fitzgerald can't play forever, so there is an eventual path to more playing time.  In the meantime, Hopkins will continue to be heavily targeted, and Fitzgerald and Christian Kirk will each get their fair share of targets.  Without an injury to one of those guys 'ahead' of him, Isabella is unlikely to get enough turns in this offense to be more than a speculative flex at best.  Still, he is a dynasty hold if you have the roster space.  This offense is emerging as one of the most exciting in the league, and Isabella brings an electrifying element to the team.  He is a threat to score from anywhere on the field.  It is a tough situation for the young speedster.  He is in the right offense for success, but he is playing behind two future Hall-of-Famers in Fitz and Nuk, and an ascending talent in Kirk.  It will be tough to crack this starting lineup, but there may come a point when Coach Kingsbury can no longer keep Isabella on the bench.  When/if that happens, you will want Isabella on your dynasty squad.  In the interim, just keep watching his college tape to remind yourself how special Isabella can be in Arizona's version of the Air Raid Offense!
This seems wildly optimistic

Which part?
Basically the entire evaluation of what Isabella can bring on the field seems like wishful thinking with little evidence since he was drafted, right? 

“Isabella brings an electrifying element to the team.  He is a threat to score from anywhere on the field.”

“there may come a point when Coach Kingsbury can no longer keep Isabella on the bench”

I just haven’t seen any hint of this playing out in the NFL at all, it seems like total projection from his college days so far. 

Yes, he’s behind talented and/or established players and yes, it can take some time for young WRs to develop and break out onto the scene. But Isabella has barely flashed at all so far. He had one long TD and one other big play as a rookie, and that’s it. On 9 catches that might seem like a good rate of big plays, but teams don’t usually hide guys that they think can regularly make plays like that—they don’t design plays to get him the ball in space, don’t deploy packages meant to work him into the gameplan, they don’t use him in 4-wide situations which you’d think he’d feast off of under Kingsbury, at least not yet, and shouldn’t he be able to handle that as a 2nd-year player? 

It just seems to me like he’s been a supreme disappointment so far, but you talked about his talent and ability to effect an NFL offense in the most optimistic and inevitable of terms, as if the rookie draft where he was taken just happened and we haven’t seen him struggle for his entire career so far.

I think it’s good to have pet project guys like this who clearly have some potential and maybe more importantly, pedigree—John Ross is another one, who actually flashed way more in way less possible games due to injury. But it can’t be all rainbows and best case outcomes when talking about the player’s future, when so little has been showcased by the player—these NFL teams are invested in their young explosive players as well and have a vested interest in seeing that pedigree paid off, and yet here we are. That’s gotta be a red flag.

“Isabella brings an electrifying element to the team.  He is a threat to score from anywhere on the field.”

“there may come a point when Coach Kingsbury can no longer keep Isabella on the bench”

I just haven’t seen any hint of this playing out in the NFL at all, it seems like total projection from his college days so far. 
He went for like an 85 score on one of his first and only NFL receptions last year.  

https://youtu.be/e-9ibIzNT1Y

There's your hint.  

Basically the entire evaluation of what Isabella can bring on the field seems like wishful thinking with little evidence since he was drafted, right? 

Yes, he’s behind talented and/or established players and yes, it can take some time for young WRs to develop and break out onto the scene. But Isabella has barely flashed at all so far. He had one long TD and one other big play as a rookie, and that’s it. On 9 catches that might seem like a good rate of big plays, but teams don’t usually hide guys that they think can regularly make plays like that—they don’t design plays to get him the ball in space, don’t deploy packages meant to work him into the gameplan, they don’t use him in 4-wide situations which you’d think he’d feast off of under Kingsbury, at least not yet, and shouldn’t he be able to handle that as a 2nd-year player? 

It just seems to me like he’s been a supreme disappointment so far, but you talked about his talent and ability to effect an NFL offense in the most optimistic and inevitable of terms, as if the rookie draft where he was taken just happened and we haven’t seen him struggle for his entire career so far.

I think it’s good to have pet project guys like this who clearly have some potential and maybe more importantly, pedigree—John Ross is another one, who actually flashed way more in way less possible games due to injury. But it can’t be all rainbows and best case outcomes when talking about the player’s future, when so little has been showcased by the player—these NFL teams are invested in their young explosive players as well and have a vested interest in seeing that pedigree paid off, and yet here we are. That’s gotta be a red flag.
He’s on the waiver wire in one of my dynasty leagues

eta I added him for an end of bench stash and dropped Humphries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy Isabella caught 4-of-4 targets for 47 yards and a pair of touchdowns in the Cardinals' Week 3 loss to the Lions. 

It was a promising day for the second-year pro, though Pro Football Focus' initial charting still only shows 26 snaps. For his first score, Isabella beat Darryl Roberts in the end zone on a 13-yard corner route. For No. 2, a four-yarder, he slipped a tackle at the goal line. With Christian Kirk once again injured and Larry Fitzgerald disappearing into old age, the Cardinals need Isabella to emerge opposite DeAndre Hopkins. In theory, the sophomore is capable of doing damage at every level of the field. He is once again worth a flier as the Cardinals enter a ludicrously soft portion of their schedule.  

Sep 27, 2020, 8:09 PM ET

Any chance this guy overtakes Kirk? 

Kirk seems to be just a run of the mill WR, while Isabella seems to have playmaking ability. Another week like this and he won’t be cheap

Any chance this guy overtakes Kirk? 

Kirk seems to be just a run of the mill WR, while Isabella seems to have playmaking ability. Another week like this and he won’t be cheap
At the beginning of the year I would have said - not a chance in heck. But he did look good yesterday, and Kirk has been very pedestrian so far this year. It's hard to say whether it's game script or not (would Kirk have also had those looks and opportunities if he was in there?). But it would appear that Andy is worth a flier at this point because you may end up with a part of a high-powered offense which is always a good thing.

At the beginning of the year I would have said - not a chance in heck. But he did look good yesterday, and Kirk has been very pedestrian so far this year. It's hard to say whether it's game script or not (would Kirk have also had those looks and opportunities if he was in there?). But it would appear that Andy is worth a flier at this point because you may end up with a part of a high-powered offense which is always a good thing.
I read that Johnson actually took Kirk’s snaps, so Isabella had his own role, not Kirk’s. Interesting to say the least. I’m intrigued 

And of course I dropped the guy in a ton of leagues where we only have 22 roster spots KNOWING he would likely break out at some point.  :censored:

20 PPR points yesterday on 4 targets and 40% of offensive snaps. Speed to burn adds a different element to this offense that Kirk (more quick than fast) and Hopkins/Fitz/Johnson don't offer. 

:ear to the ground - hand on the wire:

Highlights from the last two weeks...

Isabella's big issue last season was a struggle to beat NFL press, a common theme for rookie WRs. This past week, he did it multiple times in game, including on both of his TDs. And when they allow him to free release in zone schemes, bad things happen... See the first link below with his 54 yd catch from week 2 as an example - a play that should've been a 77 yd TD had Murray not underthrown him. Pretty sure Murray threw it as far as he could, but Andy still had to slow down for it. 

https://arizonasports.com/story/2399869/cardinals-mindful-of-getting-looks-for-wrs-christian-kirk-andy-isabella/

https://arizonasports.com/story/2407900/andy-isabella-gets-his-opportunity-scores-2-tds-for-cardinals-vs-lions/

And here's another big play from yesterday, where Isabella and Murray seem to have their signals crossed at the top of the route - looks like Andy broke in and Kyler threw it deep. Somehow Andy was able to restart from the dig and made up the ground in time to make the catch anyway. He jumped to make the grab, but if he'd just kept running it looks like he would've had the chance to catch in stride for a 69 yd TD. Love this guy's start-stop athleticim.

https://youtu.be/9NhEl0YACmY?t=124

This offense is in need of an over the top threat like this guy IMO. Snaps have been in short supply for him so far. 17% wk 1, then 18% and finally 40% yesterday with Kirk out - numbingly, 4.6 40 Keesean Johnson got 71%, with Fitz and DHop both over 85%. Sooner or later, Kingsbury will figure this out. They are MUCH more dangerous with Isabella on the field. This feels an awful lot like the situation in Pittsburgh - where the higher impact WR is idling and biding his time for a true chance, but in the meantime keeps making big plays with the few looks he's getting.

Good news for Isabella and Mapletron: cream rises.

:popcorn:

Watched this last game vs the Lions. Isabella is a strange case. In a game without Kirk he still only saw 40% of the snaps, being used much the same way as before, near exclusively in 4 ways: a) deep route - run straight, 2) block, 3) short route, 4) reverse. Kingsbury favored KeeSean Johnson to run intermediate routes in place of Kirk. I see this as a huge red flag.

Isabella has great acceleration, getting separation by stop/starting. This can work on short passes as shown by his TD in the 3rd quarter, but won't help him create separation down field. A receiver can't stop, instead needs to conserve his momentum while changing direction on intermediate routes. I haven't seen Isabella do this. I am thinking he's not very good at getting open beyond 5 yards which is why Kingsbury doesn't ask him to do it. I'm going to see if I can get my 2nd back for him.

Watched this last game vs the Lions. Isabella is a strange case. In a game without Kirk he still only saw 40% of the snaps, being used much the same way as before, near exclusively in 4 ways: a) deep route - run straight, 2) block, 3) short route, 4) reverse. Kingsbury favored KeeSean Johnson to run intermediate routes in place of Kirk. I see this as a huge red flag.

Isabella has great acceleration, getting separation by stop/starting. This can work on short passes as shown by his TD in the 3rd quarter, but won't help him create separation down field. A receiver can't stop, instead needs to conserve his momentum while changing direction on intermediate routes. I haven't seen Isabella do this. I am thinking he's not very good at getting open beyond 5 yards which is why Kingsbury doesn't ask him to do it. I'm going to see if I can get my 2nd back for him.
I'm not sure how good he can catch either. He slightly bobbles a lot of his opportunities. Including his two tds Sunday.

Hopkins injury could keep him out. And is Kirk still out?

Isabella could be last man standing.

And he's sitting on the wire.

All kinds of late options emerging: Isabella, MVS, Ward, Cobb.

Cardinals WR Andy Isabella ran 18 pass routes in Week 4 against the Panthers. 

It was the fewest pass routes among the four wideouts in the team's regular rotation. Christian Kirk, returning from injury, ran 32 routes, finishing with 19 yards and a touchdown against Carolina. Isabella posted two grabs for three yards. Head coach Kliff Kingsbury continues to ignore the pleas of fantasy football Twitter as Isabella remains a little-used option in the Arizona passing game. How rude. Meanwhile, Larry Fitzgerald, who has 88 yards on 236 offensive snaps this season, ran 14 more routes than Isabella in Week 4. 

RELATED: 

Larry Fitzgerald

, Christian Kirk

Oct 5, 2020, 11:20 AM ET

Andy Isabella caught 4-of-6 targets for 33 yards in the Cardinals' Week 12 loss to the Patriots. 

With Larry Fitzgerald on the COVID-19 list, Isabella matched a season-high with his four grabs, but he was barely heard from again after catching a 19-yard pass in the first quarter. Positive for the virus, Fitzgerald will almost certainly miss Week 13 against the Rams, but Isabella will be unlikely to hit a big play vs. L.A.'s Jalen Ramsey and Aaron Donald-keyed defense. 

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy Isabella played 60 percent of the Cardinals' offensive snaps in Week 12 against the Patriots. 

The speedy Isabella served as the team's primary slot receiver with Larry Fitzgerald on the reserve/COVID-19 list. He caught four of his six targets (18 percent target share) for 33 yards against New England. Isabella ran 27 routes, 11 fewer than DeAndre Hopkins and nine fewer than Christian Kirk. He'll be a WR3 candidate in Week 13 against the Rams since Fitzgerald is likely to miss another game before he's cleared to return. 

RELATED: 

Larry Fitzgerald

SOURCE: Adam Levitan on Twitter 

Nov 30, 2020, 9:38 AM ET

Andy Isabella wasn't targeted in the Cardinals' Week 17 loss to the Rams.

He played just three snaps and was buried on the Cardinals' depth chart all season, playing just 27% of the snaps on the year. Isabella was a healthy scratch Weeks 14-16 and appears to be headed into an offseason on the roster bubble. Isabella caught 21-of-35 targets for 224 yards and two touchdowns on the year after going 9-189-1 as a rookie. The former second-round pick just turned 24 in November. Perhaps if Larry Fitzgerald retires, Isabella can get a real shot at No. 3 duties.

Jan 4, 2021, 10:28 AM ET

Cardinals placed Andy Isabella on COVID-19 list.

Arizona's second round draft selection in 2019, Isabella has failed to make an impact. The additions of Rondale Moore and A.J. Green this offseason further complicate his path to playing time. He won't be helped if he misses an extended portion of training camp. Arizona also added C Rodney Hudson, LG Justin Pugh and WR Keesean Johnson to the reserve/COVID-19 list

RELATED: 

Rodney Hudson

, Justin Pugh

, KeeSean Johnson

, A.J. Green

, Rondale Moore

, Christian Kirk

I thought this guy would be a star - very wrong on that one.
When the Tyreek Hill domestic stuff was blowing up and at its worst, I panicked and traded him for the 2.4 rookie pick...which I spent on Isabella. Will easily go down as one of the worst trades I've ever made. :bag:  Luckily I then traded FOR Hill in 2 other leagues giving up only a future 3rd, so I can sleep at night. 

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer reports Andy Isabella is among potential trade targets for receiver-needy teams like the Saints and Lions. 

Isabella has been the forgotten man in Arizona's wideout rotation this season, replaced by A.J. Green and rookie Rondale Moore. Isabella, who has been active for one game in 2021, was an enticing, blazing fast prospect coming out of the University of Massachusetts in 2019, but has only been used when the Cards are desperate at receiver. He would likely crack the starting lineup for both Detroit and New Orleans if Arizona deals him prior to the NFL's November 2 trade deadline. 

RELATED: 

Detroit Lions

, New Orleans Saints

SOURCE: SI.com 

Oct 29, 2021, 10:21 AM ET

3rd year UDFA Antoine Wesley played 31 snaps (53%) while Andy was inactive. I see no reason to expect a trade at this point, as there were articles/rumors that claimed teams were looking to acquire him earlier in the year but AZ wasn't selling. 

Andy Isabella caught 1-of-3 targets for 10 yards in the Cardinals' Week 1 loss to the Chiefs.

Isabella ran a mere 15 pass routes in the depleted Arizona offense and had his only catch late in the fourth quarter from Trace McSorley. There's seemingly no universe in which Isabella will get a full complement of snaps and routes in the Cards offense. He can remain on waiver wires.

- NBCSportsEDGE

The Ravens will sign Isabella to their practice squad, Doug Kyed of Pro Football Focus reports.

Isabella joins a receiving corps that lacks clarity behind top wideout Rashod Bateman. And Bateman didn't practice Wednesday due to a foot issue, so Isabella could make an impact as soon as this Sunday against the Bengals, assuming the team elevates him. In parts of four seasons as a Cardinal before he was waived Tuesday, Isabella, a 2019 second-round pick, recorded 33 catches (on 53 targets) for 447 yards and three touchdowns in 39 appearances.

Users who are viewing this thread