What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Andy Isabella, BAL (1 Viewer)

he played behind "scrubs" that are no longer on the team. by all means dont see the forest for the trees 
Yeah but he still played in all 16 games.   Isabella is only playing because of injury  

Last edited by a moderator:
He missed the 1st preseason game, he played in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

http://www.nfl.com/player/andyisabella/2562669/gamelogs

Try again.
yes... started the preseason hurt. exactly what I said. If you dont think that put him behind then idk what to say. 

Coach has flat out said they want him to have a Julian Edelman role, but the reason he hasnt is because the coaching staff keeps moving him around.

Kingsburys words, not mine.  

yes... started the preseason hurt. exactly what I said. If you dont think that put him behind then idk what to say. 

Coach has flat out said they want him to have a Julian Edelman role, but the reason he hasnt is because the coaching staff keeps moving him around.

Kingsburys words, not mine.  
We want you in an Edelman role, but we’re going to keep “moving you around” and not actually playing you in real NFL games.  That’s the plan, because there’s value in moving you around so that you can not play.  

C’mon man.  Isabella’s minor knee injury occurred in practice on August 1st.  He was back at practice on August 6th, sat out their first preseason game two days later as a precaution, and has played continuously since their second preseason game on August 15th.  To use a five day stretch of sitting out the first week of August for a minor injury, which followed numerous reports of him struggling in camp, as the reason we’re seeing guys like Crabtree/Byrd/Sherfield/PHAROH COOPER play ahead of him is reaaaaally stretching it.  Again, not saying he can’t develop.  But let’s call a spade a spade at this point.

SayWhat? said:
We want you in an Edelman role, but we’re going to keep “moving you around” and not actually playing you in real NFL games.  That’s the plan, because there’s value in moving you around so that you can not play.  

C’mon man.  Isabella’s minor knee injury occurred in practice on August 1st.  He was back at practice on August 6th, sat out their first preseason game two days later as a precaution, and has played continuously since their second preseason game on August 15th.  To use a five day stretch of sitting out the first week of August for a minor injury, which followed numerous reports of him struggling in camp, as the reason we’re seeing guys like Crabtree/Byrd/Sherfield/PHAROH COOPER play ahead of him is reaaaaally stretching it.  Again, not saying he can’t develop.  But let’s call a spade a spade at this point.
Kingsbury's words, not mine :shrug:

Kingsbury's words, not mine :shrug:
Regardless of what Kingsbury wants out of him, five days of missed practices in early August is of zero consequence to whether Isabella would or wouldn’t be getting snaps ahead of guys like Sherfield, Byrd, and Pharoh Cooper two months later.   :lmao:   But you keep on believing that that injury is still the reason.  Wouldn’t at all be surprising for the Cards to add Ryan Grant this week and play him 40 more snaps than Isabella in Week 6.  But he was injured.  Unless Isabella scored a four on the Wonderlic, the fact that he can’t get on the field (inside where he’s going to be Edelman or outside over Sheffield) at this stage is a massive red flag. 

Anyone notice in the game on one of his end-arounds when he ran out of bounds. It looked like hew was about to run Kingsbury over and kind of glared at him? lol

I don't think Gallup is comparable to Isabella. Although he didn't start out as a star, he was on the field contributing and showing something. He caught at least one pass in every game the first 5 weeks.  True, he didn't have a great fantasy day until week 7 but he was showing ability.  And he wasn't buried on the depth chart by JAGs and undrafted FAs.

I think the coach is off his rocker if he thinks Isabella is anything like Edelman. He isn't. He is a deep ball WR.

This was discussed pretty thoroughly earlier on in the thread before Isabella was drafted.

No wonder the coach is disappointed if that is what he thought Isabella was. 

Who is Andy Isabella?

Due to his size, Isabella is a slot receiver through-and-through. But, he’s not a typical, horizontal slot receiver. The UMass product is actually more developed in vertical route running than horizontal. He has excellent top-end speed and takes explosive breaks on his vertical routes. Per PFF, the receiver was second in the class in 2018 for the position in deep yards (705) and 11th in deep pass receptions (14).

I know WRs can take a while to get going in the NFL, but I personally (as an owner) find it a bit alarming that (as a second round pick) he's playing behind scrubs and practice scrub types when the Arizona offense absolutely needs playmakers right now. He must look terrible in practice or be making mistakes constantly because there's no reason for a guy with his talent and profile o be so birued on a depth chart...on a team that utilises more WRs than any other team.

I was at the game yesterday and watched him closely on the snaps he played. He (obvioulsy) didn't do much, but man, this kid is FAST! There was one play in particular where he came out of the backfield and ran a route where he just torched the DB and would have been wide open, but the ball went the other way. The few times he was in and ran a route he looked like he was shot out of a cannon. It was just strange to see.

Anyway, I'm not sure if he's going to get on the field much this year, but he sure looks like a guy that can take the top of a D and that could be really good for this offense.

Andy Isabella caught his lone target for an 88-yard touchdown in the Cardinals' Week 9 loss to the 49ers.

Isabella entered the game with just two catches and 41 snaps to his name. He still barely played, but he made the play of the season for a Cardinals team that came surprisingly close to springing the massive home upset. Kyler Murray dropped an absurd dime over the top off Emmanuel Moseley, and Isabella matador'd Richard Sherman. He and his 4.31 wheels were then off to the races. It's an element that's been badly missing from the Cardinals' offense all season. They now have 10 days to think about getting Isabella more involved ahead of a juicy matchup with the Bucs. It's far from a guarantee that they will.

Nov 1, 2019, 12:19 AM ET

Its about freakin' time! No idea why the Cardinals have kept Isabella on the bench so often. He's their most dangerous WR, even if he isn't catching passes, just the threat would loosen things up for others ala Ted Ginn. 

People wrote off DJ Chark this last offseason too. Now some on twitter compare him to Julio Jones. One catch may be one catch but it also displayed the athletic prowess some of us drooled over during the draft. Many of you are over-reactionary to one direction or the other. I think the Cardinals spread caps all the WR’s there to never be a true WR1 but there is room for a guy like Isabella to emerge and have a really nice career. Players are allowed to develop slower than some especially when they come from UMass.

KeeSean Johnson can't do what Isabella did on that route.

You could tell the WR group was stoked for Isabella, like he's been busting his rear end and finally got a shot. 

It's what he did in college so many times, which allowed him to lead the league in receiving yards by a wide margin.

Was fun to see him make a play. Gives me some more optimism about his career than I had 24 hours ago, that's for sure. A reminder that we shouldn't be so quick to write off guys. of course, it was one play, but a reminder of his speed and talent

The big play is great to see. The catch itself wasn't super clean and showed one of his scouting negatives. The reaction of his WR group sure looked like a bunch of guys that were thrilled for Isabella moreso than the TD itself which I think points to his work ethic & development.

The big play is great to see. The catch itself wasn't super clean and showed one of his scouting negatives. The reaction of his WR group sure looked like a bunch of guys that were thrilled for Isabella moreso than the TD itself which I think points to his work ethic & development.
The catch was downright awkward. It makes me worry. You can't be a pin the ball to your chest guy in the NFL. 

That and the DB totally blew the coverage trying to jump the route. And missed. 

credit to Isabella - he’s fast, but folks might want to slow down on anointing him just yet. He got beat out by KeeSean early & I doubt 1 catch changes that. 

When Fitz is gone the Cards receiving corps looks dangerous though with Kirk, KeeSean & Isabella. That’s a lot of speed.  

dont look now but he is quietly getting way more snaps. 

In 3 games hes been able to practically match KeeSean Johnson's year long stats, who "outplayed him." 

Get him before his 2020 breakout campaign 

He is really small out there but the wheels are real. He may or may not ever have a big fantasy impact but it looks like he will definitely have real NFL value.

I have both Isabella and Butler. Nuk's trade to AZ dims any hope for relevance this season. To the taxi squad for the both of you!

saintfool said:
I have both Isabella and Butler. Nuk's trade to AZ dims any hope for relevance this season. To the taxi squad for the both of you!
:sadbanana: Last year in a panic move (when all the chit was hitting the fan with Hill in KC) I traded away Hill for the 2.4 pick....and drafted Isaballa.  :bag:

saintfool said:
Trade value next to nothing now I would guess. I was looking to trade Isabella away before Hopkins, but now holding. This affects his perceived value more than his real value. If he's any good he'll produce in this offense.

ANDY ISABELLA WR, ARIZONA CARDINALS

Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said the team passed on receivers in this year's deep wideout class because they remain intrigued by Andy Isabella, Hakeem Butler and KeeSean Johnson. 

Of course, that leaves out the part where the Cardinals traded a second-round pick for DeAndre Hopkins. Second-rounder Isabella was the only one of the three who made any sort of a rookie impact in a shaky receiver corps, and even that was a modest 9/189/1 line where 88 yards of the yards came on one catch. Johnson averaged a woeful 8.9 yards on 21 catches. It's difficult not to like Isabella's profile, but his rookie year usage speaks louder than his athletic makeup. It will be daunting for Isabella to carve out a meaningful sophomore role behind Hopkins, Christian Kirk and Larry Fitzgerald, though Kingsbury does regularly employ four-receiver sets. 

SOURCE: azcardinals.com 

May 14, 2020, 4:20 PM ET

10 Second year Arizona Cardinals primed to step up in 2020

Excerpt:

#5. Andy Isabella

Again, like Hakeem Butler, Isabella would be higher on this list but the starting trio of DeAndre Hopkins, Larry Fitzgerald and Christian Kirk is more than enough for 2020.

That said, unlike Butler, Isabella has shifty low 4.3 speed and after the departure of Damiere Byrd to the Patriots, he’s the only 4.3 receiver on their roster. That means as far as a deep separating threat it’s just down to him.

The Cardinals spent the 2nd they got in the Josh Rosen deal on him with the expectation that he would become invaluable out of the slot and a much bigger piece of the offense than he ended up being. If he can make the leap and become a viable deep threat....their offense might be impossible to stop.

Hope he gets going soon as I just traded for him in Dynasty. I think if he shows some improvement this year, he might be able to carve out a real role when Fitzgerald is gone.

Hope he gets going soon as I just traded for him in Dynasty. I think if he shows some improvement this year, he might be able to carve out a real role when Fitzgerald is gone.
I just don't see him passing Hopkins for sure, and probably not Kirk. Fitz will play one two more years, so at best AI will be the WR 4 on this team for now, and WR3 if Fitz does hang it up. There just doesn't seem to be much room for him to carve out a significant fantasy role any time soon.

I just don't see him passing Hopkins for sure, and probably not Kirk. Fitz will play one two more years, so at best AI will be the WR 4 on this team for now, and WR3 if Fitz does hang it up. There just doesn't seem to be much room for him to carve out a significant fantasy role any time soon.
This. Typical combine darling, more valuable as a deep threat when he steps on the field rather than a fantasy threat. 

The only way he has value is if Arizona WRs suffer injury and/or Corona cases and he steps on and steps up. Otherwise he is buried until the next guy is drafted

AZCardinals.com's Mike Gurecki and Craig Grailou report Andy Isabella is "more confident" in his second NFL season.

Every second-year pro should be more confident, but Isabella did struggle catching the ball with his hands throughout his rookie experience so it's a notable nugget. Those issues led to a disappointing year were he only caught nine passes despite little standing in his way on the receiver depth chart. In 2020, Isabella remains the favorite for the fourth receiver spot, one that actually could be of some value given coach Kliff Kingsbury's usage of four-receiver sets. Isabella remains off the radar in most fantasy leagues, but he's a worthwhile flier in deep leagues as someone who is at least athletic and attached to a quality offense. Expect Hakeem Butler to compete with Isabella this training camp.

SOURCE: AZCardinals.com

Aug 10, 2020, 6:07 PM ET

Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said he wants to expand Andy Isabella's role.

Kinsgbury elaborated, "I have to do a better job of expanding his role and finding ways to get him on the field and get him utilized." The offense attempted to use four-receiver sets early into Kyler Murray's rookie season, but there simply wasn't enough talent at receiver to make it happen. With DeAndre Hopkins in town, the Cardinals likely up their use of four-receiver sets (23% of Arizona's late-season pass attempts were in four-receiver sets). Isabella figures to start in four-receiver sets immediately but has his work cut out to break into three-receiver sets with Hopkins, Christian Kirk, and Larry Fitzgerald ahead of him. With that said, Isabella's speed makes him a quality late-round target in 12- and 14-team fantasy leagues.

SOURCE: Kyle Odegard on Twitter

Aug 30, 2020, 7:21 PM ET

Larry Fitzgerald can't play forever, so there is an eventual path to more playing time.  In the meantime, Hopkins will continue to be heavily targeted, and Fitzgerald and Christian Kirk will each get their fair share of targets.  Without an injury to one of those guys 'ahead' of him, Isabella is unlikely to get enough turns in this offense to be more than a speculative flex at best.  Still, he is a dynasty hold if you have the roster space.  This offense is emerging as one of the most exciting in the league, and Isabella brings an electrifying element to the team.  He is a threat to score from anywhere on the field.  It is a tough situation for the young speedster.  He is in the right offense for success, but he is playing behind two future Hall-of-Famers in Fitz and Nuk, and an ascending talent in Kirk.  It will be tough to crack this starting lineup, but there may come a point when Coach Kingsbury can no longer keep Isabella on the bench.  When/if that happens, you will want Isabella on your dynasty squad.  In the interim, just keep watching his college tape to remind yourself how special Isabella can be in Arizona's version of the Air Raid Offense!

Sorry, this guy is a bum. Should have taken a 4th for him when I had the chance. Now my best case is finding a sucker with a decent defense. 

JoeSteeler said:
Dropped in my deep dynasty league, I assume he’s worth an add
I wouldn't.  At this point even if he hits, he'll be a roster clogger bye week filler at best.  

Users who are viewing this thread