What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (5 Viewers)

I don't think I'll be done with the NFL but will have difficulty rooting for him, no matter where he goes. He's squarely in my higher esteem than Aaron Hernandez and Rae Carruth by a lot, though. The spectacle of his personage is annoying, even sickening, but let's not forget human horrors like that and say this is the tipping point.

And really, is he worse than Roethlisberger, who was almost charged criminally with rape? I don't think so. 
The "done with the NFL" outrage is comical to me. Like, I don't even understand where those people are coming from. There have been and continue to be worse people than Brown, and there likely always will be. That isn't independent to the NFL(or atheletes) either, get any profession that has 2,000+ people in it, and I promise there will be some bad people doing it, its just not as big of news if 2% of accountants are criminals, because that doesn't fit a biased talking point, or generate clicks.  

Not to get into a what about this guy game, but, I agree that he's on par with Big Ben. He's obviously nowhere near Hernandez/Carruth levels. I find Brown easier to root for than Tyreek Hill. Where does he fall when compared to guys like Mixon, or Peterson, or Vick? Michael Kendricks admitted to a felony, and is playing through it. Brown is a #######, and a jerk, but there hasn't been anything proven that he is a criminal. 

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually think Brown has gotten unfairly screwed this season. I don't think he should have been punished until the law punished him, but that is the guilty until proven innocent(or people forget about you, which Brown isn't gonna let happen, to his own detriment) culture we seem to live on at the moment. 

Is Brown a role model? No, of course not, but why should that matter? Why is there still this stupid idea that being a professional athlete is a privilege? Is Brown a worse person than Bob Kraft? 

I really enjoy watching Brown play football, he's probably my favorite player to watch of this past decade. I think he's the best WR of this decade, and strictly on the field is the best WR drafted after 1998. In my opinion, he should be a 1st ballot HOF'er, and is better than half the WR's who made the NFL's top-100 team.

I'll be disappointed if I've seen his last game, and while ultimately he only has himself to blame, it does seem to me that he seems to draw a level of vitriol that equal or worse people somehow seem not to.

The "done with the NFL" outrage is comical to me. Like, I don't even understand where those people are coming from. There have been and continue to be worse people than Brown, and there likely always will be. That isn't independent to the NFL(or atheletes) either, get any profession that has 2,000+ people in it, and I promise there will be some bad people doing it, its just not as big of news if 2% of accountants are criminals, because that doesn't fit a biased talking point, or generate clicks.  

Not to get into a what about this guy game, but, I agree that he's on par with Big Ben. He's obviously nowhere near Hernandez/Carruth levels. I find Brown easier to root for than Tyreek Hill. Where does he fall when compared to guys like Mixon, or Peterson, or Vick? Michael Kendricks admitted to a felony, and is playing through it. Brown is a #######, and a jerk, but there hasn't been anything proven that he is a criminal. 

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually think Brown has gotten unfairly screwed this season. I don't think he should have been punished until the law punished him, but that is the guilty until proven innocent(or people forget about you, which Brown isn't gonna let happen, to his own detriment) culture we seem to live on at the moment. 

Is Brown a role model? No, of course not, but why should that matter? Why is there still this stupid idea that being a professional athlete is a privilege? Is Brown a worse person than Bob Kraft? 

I really enjoy watching Brown play football, he's probably my favorite player to watch of this past decade. I think he's the best WR of this decade, and strictly on the field is the best WR drafted after 1998. In my opinion, he should be a 1st ballot HOF'er, and is better than half the WR's who made the NFL's top-100 team.

I'll be disappointed if I've seen his last game, and while ultimately he only has himself to blame, it does seem to me that he seems to draw a level of vitriol that equal or worse people somehow seem not to.
good post. IMO

I mostly agree with you here. However, I am not sure how much he has been punished yet. The Pats cut him not because of the accusations but because he began harassing his accuser. There might be worse people out there like Kareem Hunt or Joe Mixon, but they have at least been contrite, acknowledged their mistakes and worked to be better or at least  put that image out to the public. If AB would have kept quiet, he likely would still be a Patriot. And it's hard to blame anyone but AB for him not playing for the Raiders.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Brees and the Saints and would root for them in the NFC (I’m a Raiders fan, so I have no allegiances in the NFC) but if they sign AB and he actually plays, I hope for an implosion and an early exit from the playoffs for the saints. 
yes, literally rooting against him. 
I will root against AB and any team he plays for.   F him

- Raiders fan. 

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports teams that have expressed interest in Antonio Brown have "made clear" they are waiting on the NFL to conclude its investigation.

Brown visited the Saints this week and left without a deal. There are at least two other teams that have been connected to him, but Brown's not going to get any offers until the league makes a decision on his status. At this point, there's no timetable for when that's going to happen. It likely won't be until the offseason before Brown finds another team.

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

Dec 27, 2019, 7:02 PM ET

ultimately he only has himself to blame, it does seem to me that he seems to draw a level of vitriol that equal or worse people somehow seem not to.
AB earned all the disdain because of the way he quit on the Steelers and Raiders IMO and there is nothing worse in team sports.  Also hurting him are his continued twitter rants against former players and the NFL.

I love that comparison to Janoris Jenkins :rolleyes:   Like Jenkins and Brown are even in the same league with bad behavior.
They didn’t compare them they just pointed out that the Saints are willing to overlook character (Janoris qualifies there) if a player can help; and they did...well..you know bring Brown in for a workout when as far as I know no one else has. 

Just heard on the radio that AB showed up to his Saints tryout with “A full entourage & camera crew in tow”.

:shock:

I mean, sure - what better way to show folks that you’re not an attention-seeking diva problem child who’s all about himself, amirite?

way to prove the haters wrong, AB. :rolleyes:  

AB earned all the disdain because of the way he quit on the Steelers and Raiders IMO and there is nothing worse in team sports.  Also hurting him are his continued twitter rants against former players and the NFL.
I'll give you the Raiders, but Steelers fans have nothing to complain about. He gave them about as good of a 6 year stretch as any WR in NFL history. 

Do you hold Randy Moss actively not trying in games and forcing multiple trades against him? 

I'll grant you the twitter stuff, but that is just annoying, its not something that should earn "I hope he gets seriously injured" or even death threat level hate from some.

This "bad locker room presence" concept really doesn't matter in most cases, especially now that it's just down to the playoffs. Everyone here has people that you work with that you don't like. The world keeps going and stuff still gets done. And in fact some of the most abrasive, deeply unlikable people may also be the most valuable. The value returned to the organization is the most important factor. 

The fact is the Raiders and Steelers are worse teams without AB and both likely miss the playoffs. The Patriots should have kept AB and I'm sure BB and Brady wish they did. 

The Saints really should sign him, especially after getting jobbed last year in the NFC championship game, even if he gets moved to the exempt list. At the very least, it would force the NFL to finish their investigation. 

Do you hold Randy Moss actively not trying in games and forcing multiple trades against him? 
Moss gets called out on this a lot, but IMO it’s grossly exaggerated. He would often run a bunch of deep routes in a row. Teams realized the value of him being on the field, so they would never take him out of the game for a breather. So on plays designed to the opposite side of the field, he would take a play off. Is it so terrible to not even run off the line of scrimmage and still tie up 2 defenders on a sweep to the other side of the field? It was the only way he could catch his breath. 

travdogg said:
I'll give you the Raiders, but Steelers fans have nothing to complain about. He gave them about as good of a 6 year stretch as any WR in NFL history. 
He was great on the field (until he quit on the team in a meaningful game).  Off the field and in the locker room he was a cancer.  

I am surprised how quickly people forget his antics the last  two years with the team and since leaving it. 

He was great on the field (until he quit on the team in a meaningful game).  Off the field and in the locker room he was a cancer.  

I am surprised how quickly people forget his antics the last  two years with the team and since leaving it. 

Its not forgetting it, its just saying the good far outweighed the bad. 

AB was never the same after that hit which knocked him out of the game. It was like he got hit but when he woke up he was a totally different person.

All roads point back to that day he got hit.

Tex

I knew this was gonna happen. NFL probably hasn't had anybody even look at the case in the past 30 days. They just gonna hold his career hostage indefinitely with this.

He was an idiot way before that hit. It's just been building up over time. the Steelers did a great job of catering to him and hiding his insanity. $ is what took this clown down.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ex-steelers-star-crushes-antonio-brown-with-2012-story-give-him-money-youre-going-to-create-a-monster/
I’m talking about the weirdness of his actions. The dying of his mustache and hair. The clownish haircuts. He’s been no different from any other player who’s tried to get more money but for clarity I’m talking about the insane outwardly transformation.

Tex

I knew this was gonna happen. NFL probably hasn't had anybody even look at the case in the past 30 days. They just gonna hold his career hostage indefinitely with this.
First, AB is not some sort of victim in this situation. Secondly, he doesn’t work for the NFL. They have no reason to look at anything.

what is the translation on this?
Before the regular season commenced, JuJu Schuster proclaimed that he was ready to take on the WR1 role.  As it turns out, based on the Steelers finishing with a below 500 record, perhaps he was not ready.  Perhaps he lacked the proper appreciation for what it takes to take on the WR1 role.

Conveniently, AB forgets about the fact that his personal insanity created the situation, so throwing rocks at a peer isn't highly professional.  Oh wait...

Before the regular season commenced, JuJu Schuster proclaimed that he was ready to take on the WR1 role.  As it turns out, based on the Steelers finishing with a below 500 record, perhaps he was not ready.  Perhaps he lacked the proper appreciation for what it takes to take on the WR1 role.

Conveniently, AB forgets about the fact that his personal insanity created the situation, so throwing rocks at a peer isn't highly professional.  Oh wait...
And JuJu had to play all season with backup scrubs at QB

First, AB is not some sort of victim in this situation. Secondly, he doesn’t work for the NFL. They have no reason to look at anything.
The NFL shows good faith to the player and players union by conducting a fast and fair investigation, and come down with a ruling in a timely manner. We all know the NFL has no intention of doing this.

Ab can't even troll right. They were 8-8 lol

Well, they were 5-7 in the games that JuJu played, so maybe there was a twisted logic to what AB said?

Well, they were 5-7 in the games that JuJu played, so maybe there was a twisted logic to what AB said?
Oh, it's twisted alright. Can wait for the next round of crazy tweets. Dude should go on the road next year, show up in a different stadium every week and bad mouth whoever is playing.

:lol:

I appreciate Sean Payton and them guys for supporting me and bringing me out to work out. But I think it was a publicity stunt for them.

I’m [going to] just keep committing to be the difference. ‘Cause I know I’m the difference.”

Head coach Sean Payton has always been serious about improving his team anyway he can and undoubtedly has visions of what his passing game could look like with AB catching passes across from Michael Thomas.  But that vision could only become reality if Brown got his head on straight and was willing to become a team player.  Brown flunked that test right off the bat when the Saints asked him to come to the tryout without his entourage and he showed up with the entourage anyway. 

:lol:

I appreciate Sean Payton and them guys for supporting me and bringing me out to work out. But I think it was a publicity stunt for them.

I’m [going to] just keep committing to be the difference. ‘Cause I know I’m the difference.”

Head coach Sean Payton has always been serious about improving his team anyway he can and undoubtedly has visions of what his passing game could look like with AB catching passes across from Michael Thomas.  But that vision could only become reality if Brown got his head on straight and was willing to become a team player.  Brown flunked that test right off the bat when the Saints asked him to come to the tryout without his entourage and he showed up with the entourage anyway. 
The guy who brought his entourage with him to the workout is the one accusing others of making it a publicity stunt. Classic. Same guy who showed up to camp in a hot air balloon.

I just can’t imagine a team actually wanting to push forward with this guy’s nonsense. He needs some serious counseling/psychiatric help and I don’t think he’s going to be back in the NFL if he doesn’t get it.

I was going to guess JJSS was below 500 yards receiving?  Didn't look it up though.

Users who are viewing this thread