What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Chase Claypool, MIA (3 Viewers)

Not trying to kill the messenger but I've never heard of this Michael Balko guy until about a week ago and I follow over 200 NFL writers. All of sudden he's reporting on players getting traded left and right. Look over his timeline and he's pushing idea a lot of players are going to get traded and even threw in that Rodgers has told the Packers he's retiring after this year.

He may be a blue check mark, and I get Jeremy Fowler mentioned teams were interested, but I'm going to hold off on running with anything this Balko guy is giving out until I have a reason to buy what he's selling.

Not trying to kill the messenger but I've never heard of this Michael Balko guy until about a week ago and I follow over 200 NFL writers. All of sudden he's reporting on players getting traded left and right. Look over his timeline and he's pushing idea a lot of players are going to get traded and even threw in that Rodgers has told the Packers he's retiring after this year.

He may be a blue check mark, and I get Jeremy Fowler mentioned teams were interested, but I'm going to hold off on running with anything this Balko guy is giving out until I have a reason to buy what he's selling.
From what I’ve heard on him (on Reddit) he’s not very credible.

ESPN's Dan Graziano reports teams expect Steelers WR Chase Claypool to be available ahead of the NFL trade deadline.​

Pittsburgh shopped Claypool this preseason but didn't find any takers. The Panthers' Christian McCaffrey trade gives the Steelers a baseline to get a deal done with Claypool, with Pittsburgh asking teams for "multiple" Day 2 picks. Claypool has shown signs of breaking out the last two weeks, going for 146 yards and a touchdown on 16 targets. Claypool, Jets WR Denzel Mims and Patriots WR Kendrick Bourne are among the receivers expected to draw interest at this year's deadline.
SOURCE: ESPN
Oct 21, 2022, 8:30 PM ET

ESPN's Dan Graziano reports teams expect Steelers WR Chase Claypool to be available ahead of the NFL trade deadline.​

Pittsburgh shopped Claypool this preseason but didn't find any takers. The Panthers' Christian McCaffrey trade gives the Steelers a baseline to get a deal done with Claypool, with Pittsburgh asking teams for "multiple" Day 2 picks. Claypool has shown signs of breaking out the last two weeks, going for 146 yards and a touchdown on 16 targets. Claypool, Jets WR Denzel Mims and Patriots WR Kendrick Bourne are among the receivers expected to draw interest at this year's deadline.
SOURCE: ESPN
Oct 21, 2022, 8:30 PM ET
Many questions or comments include...if he's available then why is he still likely to take the field Sunday Night?
I keep hearing Green Bay Green Bay Green Bay, you either are gonna pony up or not and some of this is starting to feel like Rodger humoring so he feels they are doing their best to get hm some help, meanwhile they keep offering Pittsburgh a 3rd round draft pick and they decline.
But he'a available and the Packers want him...that story or arc has not moved an inch in the last 2-3 days, something is not right or someone has their info crossed.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Chase Claypool "is not expected to be dealt."​

With the Steelers drafting George Pickens and Calvin Austin in the spring, it looked like they were positioning themselves to move on from Claypool this year. However, Claypool's production has continued to sink, likely tanking the potential value Pittsburgh can get for him in a trade. Before posting a 7/96/1 line in Week 6, Claypool was averaging 26 yards per game.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Oct 23, 2022, 11:20 AM ET

Bears acquired WR Chase Claypool from the Steelers for a 2023 second-round pick.​

Albert Breer reports it is the second-round pick that the Bears acquired from the Ravens for Roquan Smith. Claypool will immediately slot in as Chicago's No. 2 receiver, which should give him more volume in fantasy even if the offense he's joining isn't exactly prolific throwing the ball. He may eventually overtake Darnell Mooney. It's a bit puzzling that the Bears decided to give up a second-rounder for a third-year receiver without a 1,000-yard season to his name and just a year-and-a-half of his rookie deal left. But they did have a major hole to be filled at the spot and were using reclamation projects like Equanimeous St. Brown and N'Keal Harry as starters.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter
Nov 1, 2022, 1:34 PM ET

Not sure going to the Bears is going to help him at all. He goes from one team with no passing offense to another team with no passing offense and a QB that's just as bad.

He's on our WW but I'm hesitant to pick him up. But I was also hesitant to pick up Donte Foreman too

Not sure how this will work out but its nice to see the Bears actually try to address a major need that's existed for years. Fields is one of the best talents at the position and he's getting better understanding defenses. I think Claypool will excel here if the two put in the work together.

Not sure how this will work out but its nice to see the Bears actually try to address a major need that's existed for years. Fields is one of the best talents at the position and he's getting better understanding defenses. I think Claypool will excel here if the two put in the work together.
I'm having a hard time with the bolded. That's just simply not true. Are you sure you weren't trying to say/mean something else?

I'm having a hard time with the bolded. That's just simply not true. Are you sure you weren't trying to say/mean something else?
No, I meant what I said. Don't get me wrong, talent doesn't equate to success or winning, but his athleticism coupled with his size and arm talent are off the charts good. He obviously has some things he needs to improve upon to be a top tier NFL quarterback including mental lapses and accuracy issues that seem to pop up at the worst times. He may or may not figure it out, and I realize he's a very polarizing player, but I'm excited to see what he can do with Claypool and I hope they surround him with more talent at the position in next year's draft. A player like this needs to be put in a position to succeed, but his story is far from its conclusion. He's only 23. Nagy was awful, and he started this year devoid of any real pass catching talent. Let's give him a minute before we attack.

Not sure going to the Bears is going to help him at all. He's on our WW but I'm hesitant to pick him up. But I was also hesitant to pick up Donte Foreman too
The Bears redzone offense is pretty rough, I think he becomes the feature option down there.
It will be fun to see Fields consistently miss throws to him in the red zone
On the bright side,it’ll be nice to have a receiver draw a PI 20 yards down the field.

No, I meant what I said. Don't get me wrong, talent doesn't equate to success or winning, but his athleticism coupled with his size and arm talent are off the charts good. He obviously has some things he needs to improve upon to be a top tier NFL quarterback including mental lapses and accuracy issues that seem to pop up at the worst times. He may or may not figure it out, and I realize he's a very polarizing player, but I'm excited to see what he can do with Claypool and I hope they surround him with more talent at the position in next year's draft. A player like this needs to be put in a position to succeed, but his story is far from its conclusion. He's only 23. Nagy was awful, and he started this year devoid of any real pass catching talent. Let's give him a minute before we attack.
Reminds me a little bit of Hurts last year. The raw talent is there, but will that coalesce fast enough with the right pieces around him.

death nail
I really don't think so. I have been really impressed with how much better Fields has looked the last 2 weeks. I actually think Claypool flourishes in Chicago. And I don't own him in many leagues so its not a biased thing. Fields does have a canon and he can chuck it deep. I see a lot of 50/50 balls that Claypool is very capable of winning in his future.

Bears coach Matt Eberflus said that Chase Claypool would play in Week 9 and could see anywhere from "10 to 35 snaps."​

Regardless of whether it's 10 or 35, Claypool will be a risky play in his first start with the Bears against the Dolphins. Chicago's offense has looked better of late, but Claypool will have had less than a week with the playbook and will likely be limited because of that. He's probably only a FLEX option this week.
SOURCE: Brad Biggs on Twitter
Nov 4, 2022, 3:16 PM ET

Chase Claypool caught 2-of-6 targets for 13 yards in Chicago's Week 9 loss to Miami.

Claypool was heavily involved at the start of the game, as he had four targets before the break and two more after it. He also drew a long DPI penalty on Chicago's first drive and probably should have drawn a second on third-and-10 on their final drive as well. Claypool was ticketed for a screens-and-bombs role in game one with Chicago, we'll see if he can deliver enough to have modest fantasy value in Week 10 against the Lions with another week of practice. The volume is encouraging, if nothing else.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Bears coach Matt Eberflus said the team will extend the packages for Chase Claypool in Week 10 against the Lions.​

Claypool only took the field for 35 percent of the Bears' snaps last week but was targeted six times. He also picked up one rush attempt. He should see the field and the ball more often in Week 10 against a weak Detroit defense. Claypool will still be a risky fantasy option until he earns a full-time role, but he could be started as a FLEX option based on his upside.
SOURCE: Mark Grote on Twitter
Nov 11, 2022, 3:23 PM ET

Chase Claypool (knee) was limited in Wednesday's practice.​

Claypool went down with the knee issue in the fourth quarter of Week 12. He got up slowly after extending for an overthrown pass, only to leave the field a week later. Claypool did not return, though it was late in a game that was already decided, so that shouldn't come as a surprise. A limited session to open the week is a good sign for his Week 13 availability. If he does suit up, Claypool will operate as the Bears' No. 1 receiver with Darnell Mooney now out for the season.
Nov 30, 2022, 3:47 PM ET

Chase Claypool (knee) was removed from the Week 13 injury report and will play against the Packers.​

With Darnell Mooney suffering a season-ending injury early in Week 12, Claypool logged his best snap share of the season versus the Jets. He took the field for 67 percent of the team's snaps, and that will not serve as his floor going forward. Now operating as the Bears' top receiver, Claypool will have some WR3 juice in Week 13 versus the Packers.
Dec 2, 2022, 2:49 PM ET

Bears head coach Matt Eberflus said Chase Claypool isn't yet familiar with the team's playbook.​

“I wouldn’t say he’s there yet,” Eberflus said of Claypool, who joined the Bears six weeks ago in a trade with the Steelers. “I would say he’s getting there. He’s getting there and working there just like everybody else. But again, it’s all new to him and there’s a lot of volume of offense that he has to learn and he’s getting there. ... He needs alignment, assignment and get all the things down, the route depths and the routes, the discipline of running the routes. He’s in a good spot." Claypool has seen limited usage in Chicago's offense, averaging 4.4 targets in five games. NBC Sports' Alex Shapiro said "one would imagine it would be a high priority around Halas Hall to get Claypool involved" in the season's final four games. Coming out of a bye, we could see Claypool's routes and targets increase in a Chicago offense missing Darnell Mooney for the rest of the season.
SOURCE: NBCSports.com
Dec 13, 2022, 10:42 AM ET

Bears head coach Matt Eberflus said Chase Claypool isn't yet familiar with the team's playbook.​

“I wouldn’t say he’s there yet,” Eberflus said of Claypool, who joined the Bears six weeks ago in a trade with the Steelers. “I would say he’s getting there. He’s getting there and working there just like everybody else. But again, it’s all new to him and there’s a lot of volume of offense that he has to learn and he’s getting there. ... He needs alignment, assignment and get all the things down, the route depths and the routes, the discipline of running the routes. He’s in a good spot." Claypool has seen limited usage in Chicago's offense, averaging 4.4 targets in five games. NBC Sports' Alex Shapiro said "one would imagine it would be a high priority around Halas Hall to get Claypool involved" in the season's final four games. Coming out of a bye, we could see Claypool's routes and targets increase in a Chicago offense missing Darnell Mooney for the rest of the season.
SOURCE: NBCSports.com
Dec 13, 2022, 10:42 AM ET
I only roster him in 1 dynasty league (FFPC, Keep only 14 skill position players) and I hope he can have a couple of decent games before the season ends, so I can hopefully sell him in the off-season for a low 2nd (at best) or any 3rd rounder, really. Looking forward to him being OFF of my roster in 2023.

Barstool Sports @barstoolsports
The Bears traded the 32nd pick in the 2023 NFL draft to acquire Chase Claypool

7 games (0-7)
18 catches
140 yards
0 TDs
Oof. Steelers fleeced the Bears big time
There are several WRs projected to go around 32. None are sure things but at least there would be more upside.
and a longer contract - what a terrible deal

Bears OC Luke Getsy said Chase Claypool is a player he could see "getting a lot of opportunities" in 2023.​

In an article over at The Athletic, Getsy talks about the trade of Claypool, and the underwhelming results it yielded last season. Acquired at the trade deadline from the Steelers in exchange for a 2023 second round pick, Claypool caught 14 passes for 140 yards in seven games with the Bears, as he struggled with injuries and learning a new playbook. Arguably the most wide receiver-needy team in the league, the Bears can ill afford to see their trade for Claypool fall flat. As a rookie with the Steelers in 2020, Claypool flashed dynamic potential, catching 62 passes for 873 yards and nine touchdowns while rushing for 16 yards and another two scores. He nearly replicated his receiving yards in 2021 but struggled in a revamped Steelers offense to get anything going last season. Claypool now has a full offseason to get familiar with the playbook and improve on what was his most challenging season as a pro to date.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Feb 6, 2023, 9:27 AM ET

Still convinced that Matt Canada essentially nuked this guy's strengths with his playbook and that he can be an effective receiver if you let him run the intermediate to deep routes he seems to be successful at. He's 6'4", 220 or something like that. He's not a quick twitch separator. Nobody should want him to be.

Still convinced that Matt Canada essentially nuked this guy's strengths with his playbook and that he can be an effective receiver if you let him run the intermediate to deep routes he seems to be successful at. He's 6'4", 220 or something like that. He's not a quick twitch separator. Nobody should want him to be.
I could agree with that. Feels like he should be used more like a Mike Evans than as a gadget WR as he often was in Pittsburgh. I think he (and Mooney too) can be a quality #2 WR, but probably isn't a true #1.

Bears coach Matt Eberflus said Chase Claypool is "dealing with a few things."

"Just a few minor things he's working with. He's not in a time crunch," Eberflus continued. Claypool has reportedly been sidelined for a few weeks and did not participate in minicamp, though the plan is to get him fully healthy ahead of training camp. It's not a terrific sign that Claypool isn't getting in all the offseason work he can with Justin Fields after coming over at the trade deadline in 2022, but the Bears have been very optimistic about his work up to this point these past few months.
SOURCE: Brad Biggs on Twitter
Jun 13, 2023 at 3:14 PM ET

What is his deal? That size-speed combo, you would think even if he can't run routes he could provide a DK- lite threat to an offense. Some end arounds, some deep balls, some WR screens. Looking more and more like this guy just might not belong on an NFL field.

Users who are viewing this thread