What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Corey Davis, Retired (1 Viewer)

Bri said:
This Titans staff and the previous have been rough with rookies and wrecked some of their confidence. 

Davis was called out for a bad game and made a "what ya wanna hear" statement Monday.

I did not like Mularkey and Robiske calling him out Tuesday. "Dumbest play I've seen in football" was real strong for a day after he apologized and said he has to do better. They don't say "that matter has been handled" or "we're onto the Steelers now" like most NFL staffs do.
I read the transcript on that and Robiske did say "dumbest play" and followed up with "Here’s a guy who is 6-4, 220, and he’s trying to dive in from the five. Put your shoulder pads down and cover the ball up and get ready to go score."

I agree with Robiske there and seems like a straight up honest answer.  You can't treat first round rookies like stars.  And I liked Davis' follow up on his fumble.  See below:

“I’m not going to tell you something I didn’t tell him,” Robiskie said. “But I told him on the fumble: Where did that come from? Who makes that play? Who does that? When he came in Monday, we sat down and looked at it, and like I told him, “(It’s) the dumbest play I’ve seen in football. Corey, ‘What are you doing?’ Here’s a guy who is 6-4, 220, and he’s trying to dive in from the five. Put your shoulder pads down and cover the ball up and get ready to go score. 

“But I think he is just trying to do it flashy.”

Davis said he’s looking forward to Thursday night, and making an impact.

“I am definitely getting more comfortable each week,” Davis said. “The more I play, the more I get used to the game, it helps.

“(The fumble) is part of learning, and part of growing. I definitely learned a lot from that play.”

Bri said:
Not sure that it matters for FF, but one series has been all him each game (maybe a single run to break it up but...). Outside of that, he's clearly third behind Matthews and Walker. I imagine they're trying to get him going. He hasn't really been successful at these times, so maybe if he does get hot there will be a big uptick the rest of the game
I think they have been preparing him for this game. He is capable and rested, Mariota is healthier. They really need Davis to equal out Smith-Shuster & Brown. Titans know if they can win, they are really in drivers seat. That being said, let's hope the HC doesn't favor a banged up Walker like usual

I have a bunch of mid-tier options at WR (Allen, Fitz, Parker, Sanu) and would love to see Davis bust out, but I think his first breakout game will be on my bench. 

Davis in over

D Williams vs TB

Jordy vs BAL

P Richardson vs ATL

I really hate playing guys on Thursday nights...games are usually dogs 

I have a bunch of mid-tier options at WR (Allen, Fitz, Parker, Sanu) and would love to see Davis bust out, but I think his first breakout game will be on my bench. 
Agreed. I've got similar options (Fitz, Crabtree, Maclin, M. Jones).

With mid-tier options there is always the headache of who to put in your lineup. But at least they've all put up WR1 production in the past.

Davis has yet to even prove he can put up WR1 numbers at all...so then you're compounding the general WDIS problem with guessing his breakout game.

If it comes tonight against a tough D like Pittsburgh, great. He belongs in that WR2 group. Then Indy, Houston and SF in weeks 12-15 to become the next OBJ.

I currently have Davis in at flex over D Jax, D Williams, Perine, and Ekeler.  My only hesitation is that I am playing Walker as my TE and know it is unlikely they both have great games.

Very tempted but it isn't a great matchup. I am waiting one more week untill the great match-ups come. I am playing Maclin over him.

I currently have Davis in at flex over D Jax, D Williams, Perine, and Ekeler.  My only hesitation is that I am playing Walker as my TE and know it is unlikely they both have great games.
Got a feeling Walker throws up a dud. 

Got banged up more at the end of last game + short week. 

Got a feeling Walker throws up a dud. 

Got banged up more at the end of last game + short week. 
Could be, but better option than anyone on the wire for me.  If he only has 3 catches for 40 yards but Davis goes off for 100 yards and 2 tds I will be very happy

I think it has been mentioned somewhere upthread, but for those talking about the matchup, note that the Steelers are without a starting CB (Haden) and a starting S is questionable after leaving last week's game.

I think it has been mentioned somewhere upthread, but for those talking about the matchup, note that the Steelers are without a starting CB (Haden) and a starting S is questionable after leaving last week's game.
This is good info, Larry. The S in question is FS Mike Mitchell who is a GTD. J. Harrison is also questionable which could chill the pass rush a little.

Definitely a matchup upgrade.

Still not sure. Trying to decide between Davis, Inman, and Crowder. Leaning toward Davis because of the higher potential, but I'm still pretty tentative. Plus, Thursday night games never seem to work out for me.

Tenn really has to get the ball in Davis' hands, maybe game script goes Titans way, but I just don't see how you win in Pittsburgh without passing. Things are favoring Davis, in PPR he has been outperforming (not hard, they are low) his expected numbers. Davis is big, strong, fast, great hands- maybe best WR Tenn drafted recently- 

Now that being said, if Henry rips off long TD run all of this is irrelevant 

This is good info, Larry. The S in question is FS Mike Mitchell who is a GTD. J. Harrison is also questionable which could chill the pass rush a little.

Definitely a matchup upgrade.
Good point about the secondary but Harrison barely even plays this year and isn't the same pass rusher that he used to be.  I doubt that has much impact.  

Agreed. I've got similar options (Fitz, Crabtree, Maclin, M. Jones).

With mid-tier options there is always the headache of who to put in your lineup. But at least they've all put up WR1 production in the past.

Davis has yet to even prove he can put up WR1 numbers at all...so then you're compounding the general WDIS problem with guessing his breakout game.

If it comes tonight against a tough D like Pittsburgh, great. He belongs in that WR2 group. Then Indy, Houston and SF in weeks 12-15 to become the next OBJ.
Yeah, was thinking exactly that. To cite one specific example, Parker has been been both dependable and frustrating this year. He seems to consistently put up 6/70/0, but never really goes beyond that. Meanwhile, Davis put up almost exactly that line in Week 1, and hasn't come close since, even as they've been peppering him with targets in the past couple games. Which is no slam on him. He's a rookie, and these things take time. But that's why I view him as a hold.

When Haden went down Artie Burns switched from LCB to RCB.  Sensabaugh took the LCB position.  Davis will be matched up with Burns since he is the primary X position.

Per PFF Haden has allowed a passer rating of 73.1 on passes thrown in his direction while Burns has allowed a rating of 98.1. DVOA numbers paint an even starker contrast. When Steelers opponents throw to the right side of the field (Haden’s side), Pittsburgh ranks 1st in DVOA. When their opponent throws left (Burns’ side) the Steelers are 31st.

Further, Davis plays all three positions.  X, slot and Z.  Sensabaugh played exclusively on special teams before the Haden injury.  Sensabaugh is a huge downgrade from Haden.  Mularkey and Robiskie should position Davis on match ups with Sensabaugh.  Either way, match up against Burns or Sensabaugh I expect Davis to win on a few routes.  The Steelers are also leaving 5'9 Mike Hilton to cover the slot.  Fine, put Davis in on that match up too.

Last edited by a moderator:
When Haden went down Artie Burns switched from LCB to RCB.  Sensabaugh took the LCB position.  Davis will be matched up with Burns since he is the primary X position.

Per PFF Haden has allowed a passer rating of 73.1 on passes thrown in his direction while Burns has allowed a rating of 98.1. DVOA numbers paint an even starker contrast. When Steelers opponents throw to the right side of the field (Haden’s side), Pittsburgh ranks 1st in DVOA. When their opponent throws left (Burns’ side) the Steelers are 31st.

Further, Davis plays all three positions.  X, slot and Z.  Sensabaugh played exclusively on special teams before the Haden injury.  Sensabaugh is a huge downgrade from Haden.  Mularkey and Robiskie should position Davis on match ups with Sensabaugh.  Either way, match up against Burns or Sensabaugh I expect Davis to win on a few routes.  The Steelers are also leaving 5'9 Mike Hilton to cover the slot.  Fine, put Davis in on that match up too.
Davis also seems to line up on both sides of the field. Reviewing last week's target highlights, it was roughly 60/40 left vs. right. The near-TD was a short left-to-right pick play crossing pattern.

Earlier, you posted that Pittsburgh plays primarily zone. So really does it matter what the specific Pittsburgh CB matchup is?

I would think DB communication is the main factor here, and with potentially two secondary starters down, that might be where the PIT weakness lies for tonight.

Davis also seems to line up on both sides of the field. Reviewing last week's target highlights, it was roughly 60/40 left vs. right. The near-TD was a short left-to-right pick play crossing pattern.

Earlier, you posted that Pittsburgh plays primarily zone. So really does it matter what the specific Pittsburgh CB matchup is?

I would think DB communication is the main factor here, and with potentially two secondary starters down, that might be where the PIT weakness lies for tonight.
It matters in the red zone where the field is compressed.  Also matters when Steelers play man to man.  Though they are a 3-4 zone defense they don’t play it 100% of the time.

You people are brave. I'd be interested to see who you're starting Davis over.

I had Alshon locked in as my #2 this week but all this Davis love is making me re-think that choice...

I read the transcript on that and Robiske did say "dumbest play" and followed up with "Here’s a guy who is 6-4, 220, and he’s trying to dive in from the five. Put your shoulder pads down and cover the ball up and get ready to go score."

I agree with Robiske there and seems like a straight up honest answer.  You can't treat first round rookies like stars.  And I liked Davis' follow up on his fumble.  See below:

“I’m not going to tell you something I didn’t tell him,” Robiskie said. “But I told him on the fumble: Where did that come from? Who makes that play? Who does that? When he came in Monday, we sat down and looked at it, and like I told him, “(It’s) the dumbest play I’ve seen in football. Corey, ‘What are you doing?’ Here’s a guy who is 6-4, 220, and he’s trying to dive in from the five. Put your shoulder pads down and cover the ball up and get ready to go score. 

“But I think he is just trying to do it flashy.”

Davis said he’s looking forward to Thursday night, and making an impact.

“I am definitely getting more comfortable each week,” Davis said. “The more I play, the more I get used to the game, it helps.

“(The fumble) is part of learning, and part of growing. I definitely learned a lot from that play.”
Pretty sure I said in the game thread cmon put your shoulder down and ECB said something similar here. I don't disagree at all. My issue is it's being said on Tuesday that I don't like.

My quote is 100%, check PK and others. Titans transcripts are not always 100%. If ya watch the periscope sometimes it makes your head spin. Sadly you're best looking for quotes on twitter from beat reporters tweeting live during pressers or watching the whole thing.

I'm very much against the primadonna WR stuff. I'm not advocating that. "Beat him up" after the game and/or in the film room and maybe to the press during those two days. After that, there have been one or two practices (short week is odd). After watching film and practicing through the kinks, I don't think it's right. Other coaches say "we're onto the next team" and the Titans staff should.

JAG was brutal and IMO unprofessional as all... I'm not saying this is that. They've been rough on rookies so I have my radar up is all

Well he thought he didn't play well. Called his fumble play terrible and said his "work" wasn't much better. I do love a rook owning up to mistakes.

Mularkey was somewhat negative with the "it's his 3rd game" excuse added.

Guy on the radio called him "too consumed with the defender" and I like that phrase. 

OK OK OK just man up next time. There's no way the Steelers see that and don't try and bump him around all game. Surely some of that happened in college. Cmon now Corey
Steelwind, see this was me Monday. If ya scroll back to page 12 ya see Mularkey quoted and I mentioned Davis comments. Should have been done, moving on

I have this mishmash of WRs. I have Tyreek, who I have to start against the NY Give-ups. Then I have another WR slot to fill, as well as a flex. My options?
Alshon who's dinged, and is inconsistent although trending up. Demariyus Thomas, who I am sitting against a better than advertised bengals secondary. Also Brock is horrendous. Then DeVante in what should be his best matchup of the year. Finally Corey. 

So I've decided

WR1 Tyreek - could win you your week any week, the Giants just don't care anymore.

WR2 Alshon, because he's trending up, and Dallas' defense has been a sieve.

Flex DeVante because IN THEORY he should have WR1 upside in this game. He's got a strong floor for a flex.

Benched

DT- was tricky because he is getting so many targets, but Denvers running game isn't gonna scare anyone, and I'm assuming they just make Brocks life a living hell and take the 2 WRs out of the game.

Corey- I just haven't seen quite enough yet, and although its a banged up Steelers secondary, it's still on the road, and lets be serious, Mariota just hasn't been very good this year. I think he has potential down the stretch, I just don't see this as the most likely recipe for success.

You people are brave. I'd be interested to see who you're starting Davis over.
OK, F it.  Pulling the trigger and starting Davis tonight in 0.5 PPR 12 team.   Starting him over all these cats:

• Doug Martin
  • Perine
  • Maclin
  • Alf Morris
I figure Pitt at home is gonna put up some points plus the Tennesse secondary has been utter garbage.  Tennessee will have to score, 10 targets last game.  Kid is good and motivated.

Prediction:  8 - 123 - 1TD

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very much against the primadonna WR stuff. I'm not advocating that.
To be fair, confidence is something that all great NFL players use as a tool. No one ever became great overwhelmed by feelings of doubt and apathy. Almost all these players have immense talent. But it's the players that demand the ball that become stars. It's nice when a player calmly hands the football to the ref after a TD. However, stardom and confidence are inextricably tied together. 

OK, F it.  Pulling the trigger and starting Davis tonight in 0.5 PPR 12 team.   Starting him over all these cats:

• Doug Martin
  • Perine
  • Maclin
  • Alf Morris
I figure Pitt at home is gonna put up some points plus the Tennesse secondary has been utter garbage.  Tennessee will have to score, 10 targets last game.  Kid is good and motivated.

Although I think your prediction is a bit optimistic, I agree that he has double the upside of the humps you started him over!

How much does that change the forecast for the Titans passing game? 
Two secondary starters out.  Sensabaugh, who mostly played special teams taking Haden’s place.  Mike Hilton who was a 3rd stringer and 5’9 will man the slot.  Wilcox, who was terrible in Dallas, will help at safety.

Two secondary starters out.  Sensabaugh, who mostly played special teams taking Haden’s place.  Mike Hilton who was a 3rd stringer and 5’9 will man the slot.  Wilcox, who was terrible in Dallas, will help at safety.
We still have the fact that the Titans don't throw the ball much and have been pretty awful for WR scoring. Steelers have the 2nd most sacks in the NFL. I am skeptical to say this will make a huge difference. 

• Doug Martin
  • Perine
  • Maclin
  • Alf Morris

Wow. From your post to the FF God's ears

Man, I'm in a must-win situation and now you guys have me considering him over M Lee in one league and Crowell in another (standard leagues).

Users who are viewing this thread