What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR D.J. Chark, LAC (1 Viewer)

D.J. Chark caught 3-of-12 targets for 86 yards and a touchdown in Week 1 against the Texans.

Chark got half his yards on a 41-yard touchdown where Trevor Lawrence threaded a pass through double coverage. His 12 targets were a team high, but Chark had a bad drop on third down that led to the Texans taking an early two-score lead. Chark looks like a strong rebound candidate in a Jaguars offense that's figures to see plenty of negative game script. He's a high-upside WR3 for a matchup with the Broncos in Week 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trevor did *not* thread it through double coverage. He rolled slightly to the right and then threw the deep pass to the left to the wide open Chark. There was no threading nor double coverage.

Trevor did *not* thread it through double coverage. He rolled slightly to the right and then threw the deep pass to the left to the wide open Chark. There was no threading nor double coverage.
I saw that play. The safety rotated over and he had to put it between two guys. I'm not sure I'd call it double coverage, but it was a heck of a throw and catch. He couldn't lead him into the safety, and Chark took a hit at the end.

I saw that play. The safety rotated over and he had to put it between two guys. I'm not sure I'd call it double coverage, but it was a heck of a throw and catch. He couldn't lead him into the safety, and Chark took a hit at the end.
The safety was the only player close to him

D.J. Chark has been diagnosed with a broken left ankle and is out indefinitely. 

"Out indefinitely" in this case almost certainly being the rest of the season. Chark can be dropped across the re-draft board. It's a brutal turn of events for a contract-year wideout coming off a shaky 2020. Chark has not seemed to gel with new coach Urban Meyer, so it is possible he has already played his final game in a Jags uniform. Chark will not be a particularly young first-time free agent, with 2022 being his age-26 campaign. As for the 2021 Jags, even though Meyer was not peppering Chark with targets and treating him mostly like a strict down-field option, this is a devastating blow to the Jags' nonexistent depth behind Marvin Jones and Laviska Shenault. Speaking to that fact, Tavon Austin was seeing Week 4 snaps. They will undoubtedly be hosting free agent wideouts next week. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Sep 30, 2021, 9:09 PM ET

Jaguars placed WR D.J. Chark (ankle) on injured reserve. 

Chark was carted off the field last week against the Bengals after a player rolled up on his ankle in an ugly injury. Jaguars head coach Urban Meyer said Monday Chark has been placed on IR, ending his season. Chark has seven receptions for 154 yards and two touchdowns through the season's first three weeks. His loss could make the team's target tree more narrow, benefiting Marvin Jones and Laviska Shenault. 

Oct 4, 2021, 11:08 AM ET

Part of me thinks Chark ends up staying in Jacksonville. I think Meyer being gone only increases those chances. They a saw what they had without him, and it wasn't great. 

Part of me thinks Chark ends up staying in Jacksonville. I think Meyer being gone only increases those chances. They a saw what they had without him, and it wasn't great. 
I'd like the see the Chargers let Mike Williams go and sign Chark to a much cheaper deal. I don't think they will let Williams go, though.

I could see the Pats taking a hard look at him...they need more weapons badly but also have other holes to fill so Chark could make sense on a short-term deal...add someone like him and a legit slot to go with Meyers, Bourne and Henry and the offense would have the chance to be in a much better spot than they were this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like the see the Chargers let Mike Williams go and sign Chark to a much cheaper deal. I don't think they will let Williams go, though.
I don't think they let Williams go either, especially with how much cap space they have. I think Williams is a better player than Chark, but I haven't seen anything yet to suggest either will ever be a true #1. 

Lions signed D.J. Chark, formerly of the Jaguars, to a one-year, $10 million contract. 

The deal can be worth up to $12 million with incentives. With the Jaguars adding a cavalcade of free agent wideouts on Monday, it was clear Chark was headed elsewhere. The Lions, with one of the league's worst wide receiver groups, offered Chark, 25, a one-year prove-it deal after he missed most of the 2021 season with a broken ankle. He broke out in 2019, posting 73 catches for 1,008 yards and eight touchdowns as a highly productive boundary receiver who should pair nicely with slot receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown. It could be tough sledding for Chark in a Detroit offense headed by Jared Goff. The Lions in 2021 had the third lowest early-down pass rate and Goff threw deep on just 9.1 percent of his attempts, among the lowest in the league. 

RELATED: 

Jacksonville Jaguars

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Mar 15, 2022, 8:10 AM ET

As someone who recently acquired ARSB, I am ok with this.

Goff threw downfield less than 10% of the time. We knew the Lions would bring in a receiver. It coulda been Juju…it coulda been a host of other WRs who excel at short & intermediate routes.

IMO this shouldn’t hurt ARSB’s value, while giving the Lions a field-stretcher on a prove-it deal. 

Reynolds plays the Y, and voila. Lions receiving corps is kinda meh, but kinda might be sneaky good. 

Hot Sauce Guy said:
Lions receiving corps is kinda meh, but kinda might be sneaky good
I liked your post because of the ARSB analysis.

But the quoted I disagree with. They're maybe passable. I don't think so. I'd bet they pick up another during the draft. 

I liked your post because of the ARSB analysis.

But the quoted I disagree with. They're maybe passable. I don't think so. I'd bet they pick up another during the draft. 
I do think Chark has upside. I also think ARSB has upside. 

I’m still not sure what to make of Reynolds, but ARSB & Reynolds are. It’s likely a good fit for Goff’s noodle arm. 

I agree they likely draft a WR. In this year’s draft it remains to be seen if that’s an immediate upgrade over the 3 being discussed here. 

Lions WR D.J. Chark (ankle) was cleared for offseason workouts.

Ankle surgery cost Chark most of the 2021 season, sidelining him the final 13 games. The Lions signed him to a prove-it deal in March and expect a full recovery. Getting cleared for workouts this early is a good sign for Chark, who should open the season in a top-three role with Amon-Ra St. Brown and first-round WR Jameson Williams.

SOURCE: Detroit Free Press

May 14, 2022, 11:29 AM ET

D.J. Chark caught 4-of-8 targets for 52 yards and a touchdown in the Lions' Week 1 loss to the Eagles.

Chark finished second on the team in targets, ahead of T.J. Hockenson. It's a good sign that he saw eight targets in his first game with Goff, who is not known for his willingness to take downfield shots. After a 1,000-yard season in 2019, Chark's career had taken a downturn that culminated in a season-ending injury last year. After one week, the move to Detroit appears to be working out for Chark. He will be a high-upside FLEX option for the Lions' Week 2 game against the Commanders.

- NBCSportsEDGE

D.J. Chark caught 3-of-6 targets for 46 yards in the Lions' Week 3 loss to the Vikings.

Amon-Ra St. Brown dealt with an ankle injury, but it was Josh Reynold who stepped up with 10 targets, rather than Chark. Chark looks like an ancillary piece on a passing offense that is a poor bet for a ton of weekly production. He's best left out of fantasy lineups against the Seahawks in Week 4.
- NBCSportsEDGE

D.J. Chark (ankle) will not play in Week 5 against the Patriots.​

After telling reporters that the injury felt much better on Thursday, Chark was a surprise no practice on Friday and was quickly ruled out. Ahead of his Week 6 bye, Chark can be dropped in short-bench leagues if you need the roster spot.
Oct 7, 2022, 4:23 PM ET

WK 1 4/8
WK 2 0/4
WK 3 3/6
WK 4/5 DNP bc last year’s repaired ankle is toast

ranks 108th (of 108 qualifying WR/TEs) in separation

1 yr $10M prove it deal

so far proving he’s toast

D.J. Chark caught 2-of-5 targets for 16 yards and a touchdown in the Lions' Week 12 loss to the Bills.​

Active for just the second time since Week 3, Chark's score was his first since Week 1. It was a one-yarder where he beat Dane Jackson 1-on-1 in the end zone. Chark's return is going to help the Lions on the real life gridiron, but it is difficult to envision WR4 relevance in 12-team fantasy leagues.
Nov 24, 2022, 4:49 PM ET

WK 1 4/8
WK 2 0/4
WK 3 3/6

1 yr $10M prove it deal

Hmm... things have shifted dramatically in Detroit. I see Chark ascending. I had thought that perhaps J Williams would share some of the deep threat stretching the field with Chark as the Lions are very healthy at WR and RB. He's sitting on the FA waiver wire.
Who are folks starting this guy over? He's available and I have DPJ and Z. Jones --
Has my attention as a Z Jones new owner. Also watching the WR's in LAC with J Palmer if M Williams plays or not. Chark may be ranked rather low, like WR #4 types 37-48. I think the dude has upside and is studly. Could I start him? Wow. I do have J Williams for upside because of losing Kupp. I'm wondering who the better play is now. Likely Chark > J Williams or can I roster both like a handcuff lol.

Edit: If M Williams is active it would be dropping J Palmer for Chark in one league and dropping J Palmer or J Williams in another league. DJ Chark was a solid WR before injury and seems to be back in form again.

WK 1 4/8
WK 2 0/4
WK 3 3/6

1 yr $10M prove it deal

Hmm... things have shifted dramatically in Detroit. I see Chark ascending. I had thought that perhaps J Williams would share some of the deep threat stretching the field with Chark as the Lions are very healthy at WR and RB. He's sitting on the FA waiver wire.
Who are folks starting this guy over? He's available and I have DPJ and Z. Jones --
Has my attention as a Z Jones new owner. Also watching the WR's in LAC with J Palmer if M Williams plays or not. Chark may be ranked rather low, like WR #4 types 37-48. I think the dude has upside and is studly. Could I start him? Wow. I do have J Williams for upside because of losing Kupp. I'm wondering who the better play is now. Likely Chark > J Williams or can I roster both like a handcuff lol.

Edit: If M Williams is active it would be dropping J Palmer for Chark in one league and dropping J Palmer or J Williams in another league. DJ Chark was a solid WR before injury and seems to be back in form again.

Probably one of the best weeks to use them. Vikings have given up the most passing yards and have given up the second most FF points to WRs. Thinking Ben Johnson will have them in a lot of personnel (3 WRs) 80% again. Chark played a season high 63 snaps (83%) and his route participation was 71% (31 of 43 drop backs.) BY FAR the deepest ADOT on the team - 18.0 v Jax and 18.1 for the season. He's the only big body who is comfortable playing the X and has the speed to take the top off and draw safety coverage.

Hopefully we get to see Jamo at Flanker more than 8 snaps. Would be pretty fun watching the Vikings figure out which one they want to bracket.

WK 1 4/8
WK 2 0/4
WK 3 3/6

1 yr $10M prove it deal

Probably one of the best weeks to use them. Vikings have given up the most passing yards and have given up the second most FF points to WRs. Thinking Ben Johnson will have them in a lot of personnel (3 WRs) 80% again. Chark played a season high 63 snaps (83%) and his route participation was 71% (31 of 43 drop backs.) BY FAR the deepest ADOT on the team - 18.0 v Jax and 18.1 for the season. He's the only big body who is comfortable playing the X and has the speed to take the top off and draw safety coverage.

Hopefully we get to see Jamo at Flanker more than 8 snaps. Would be pretty fun watching the Vikings figure out which one they want to bracket.
Thank you for that! I grabbed him-- have Sutton too and he's doubtful--

Free agent D.J. Chark will visit the Panthers on Friday.

Chark was connected to the Giants on Wednesday, but the Panthers will be his first official visit. Carolina is as receiver-needy as anyone in football after dealing D.J. Moore. It's unknown who Chark's quarterback might be, but whoever it is would be unlikely to spark him to WR3 status in 2023 if he ends up in Carolina's rebuilding offense.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Jordan Schultz on Twitter
Mar 16, 2023 at 3:30 PM ET

Panthers GM Scott Fitterer said the team is still in talks with WR D.J. Chark.​

Less than 24 hours after the Panthers signed Adam Thielen to a three-year contract, Fitterer reaffirmed the team's discussions with Chark. Chark has been rumored to have a few suitors over the last several days, as the wide receiver-needy Giants have also been tied to the veteran wideout. Chark will be hard to trust in fantasy regardless of where he lands, with low-end WR3 production likely being his most optimistic outcome.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Darin Gantt on Twitter
Mar 20, 2023, 12:12 PM ET

Panthers signed WR D.J. Chark, formerly of the Lions, to a one-year contract.​

The 2022 season didn't go quite as Chark had hoped when he joined the Lions on a one-year contract last offseason. An ankle injury limited him to just 11 games last season, but his 30-502-3 line put him on pace for 776 receiving yards, which would have marked his most since his 1,008-yard campaign in 2019. A tall and athletic receiver with speed to burn, Chark should make for a nice deep threat for the Panthers and their incoming rookie quarterback. Since 2019, Chark ranks seventh among qualified receivers in contested catches on deep targets (16). For now, he has some low-end WR3 appeal for fantasy.

My guess would be that Chark is the Panthers #3 WR next season. I think low-end WR3 value is really pushing it. I'd say more like WR5 maybe.

I think this actually a good spot for him if he’s got anything left. It’s not like there’s much in front of him. If he shows well in camp he could end up with a starting role.

Last edited:
I think this actually a good spot for him if he’s got anything left. It’s not like there’s much in front of him. If he shows well in camp he could end up with a starting role.
I agree and him & Thielen are leaders to the young WR already on roster.
The issue is will the rookie QB or the new OC pick a primary target?

I was thinking Shenault offered some value but Chark is a higher ceiling on the young offense.
Marshall has not shown enough to warrant not adding more bodies so I see him as fading more and more.

My guess would be that Chark is the Panthers #3 WR next season. I think low-end WR3 value is really pushing it. I'd say more like WR5 maybe.
He should be ahead of Thielen. He looked totally washed last year.
I'd be surprised if he was ahead of Thielen. I'd disagree that Thielen looked washed. He looks slower than his peak, sure, but he's still a solid starting WR in my eyes. Just one, who likely will continue to decline. Still for 2023, I'd say he's still a ways ahead of Chark.

I kinda feel bad for Shenault, he seemed like a guy who would be a better fir in Reich's more RAC focused offense. He's probably the #4 at best now.

If I had to make a guess for the Panthers #1 at the moment, I'm still gonna say Marshall, but the ice is thinning.

Users who are viewing this thread