What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeSean Jackson (6 Viewers)

Nothing he said seems like anything other than just answering a question.

You don't need a transcript of the entire thing. Nothing he said should sound any alarms whatsoever.
this whole story is hard to figure out. so they're going to get rid of their best wr because they don't want to pay him and be left with Riley cooper and maclin who is usually hurt. just seems odd.

not saying we can't speculate, but the whole exercise is a little pointless, as we might as well wait and find out, but there were other guys, like moss and revis, who i wouldn't have believed would come her for contract reasons.

I don't think he's eager to tear up money, but if he thought the pats could juice up his future prospects he might sign a shorter deal, or push money back a year or two on the current deal.

wait...just looked up his deal -- 2014: $10.5 million, 2015-2016: $9.75 million

oof

ok, maybe not

Phenix said:
I want NO part of him if he goes to the Jets.

Amazing how two WRs like Decker and him could go there and lose so much fantasy value.
yeah that's the fantasy players' graveyard
I will never say that about any where. A couple years ago Seattle was bad. The Lions were horrible for years, the Bears were only good for running backs.

cstu said:
Insein said:
How come you cannot find what question was asked of Desean after the Saints game anywhere? All we get is the quote where he "demanded" a new contract when he said "I feel it's deserving." That's all he said. I'm sure it was contract related but what was the exact question asked of him?

This thing has snowballed out of control from such a throw away comment.
"I definitely feel it's something deserving," Jackson said Monday, per CSN Philadelphia. "We'll see how that plays out, and hopefully we can work things out smoothly and not have to worry about anything out of the ordinary."

"I'm going into the third year of my deal. Just feel it's deserving. So we'll see," Jackson said. "I feel like I've proved everything on the field. To do some of the things that top receivers in this league do, I think like I'm right there at the top. So we'll see how it goes."
The bolded is the problem IMO. I can only imagine how the agent may have pitched this to Howie. After seeing the crap he pulled his first go round with wanting a new deal I'm sure Howie isn't going to go through this again

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Jets have "inquired" on DeSean Jackson.

Most teams will be inquiring on one of the league's best receivers, but as RapSheet points, New York's inquiry comes in tandem with Michael Vick's visit. There have been conflicting reports on Jackson's Philly future, but it's pretty clear the Eagles are at least listening to the phone calls. With or without Vick, the Jets would make sense as a landing spot. Gang Green is starved for playmakers.

Related: Jets

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
I guess Howie must be just telling everyone who's calling. These reports are such BS

Phenix said:
I want NO part of him if he goes to the Jets.

Amazing how two WRs like Decker and him could go there and lose so much fantasy value.
Dunno, if Vick goes there too - Vick, DJax, and Decker - there's some fantasy points to be had.

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Panthers and Raiders have also inquired on DeSean Jackson.
They join the Jets, 49ers and Patriots as teams known to have looked in on the Eagles' No. 1 receiver. Predictably, the Eagles have denied that D-Jax is on the block, but at the very least, teams think he can be had. It's still possible the Eagles aren't actively shopping Jackson, but simply taking calls on his availability. Jackson's odds of remaining in Philly are looking no better than 50-50.

Related: Panthers, Raiders

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Do Carolina Panthers have cap room to acquire wide receiver DeSean Jackson?

By Joseph Person

The Carolina Panthers were among the teams the Philadelphia Eagles informally reached out to in order to gauge their interest in a possible trade for wide receiver DeSean Jackson, a league source told the Observer.

After the Panthers’ receiving corps was gutted during the first week of free agency, they have an obvious need to restock the position. The Panthers signed former Steelers receiver Jerricho Cotchery to a two-year, $5 million deal Thursday, and on Friday agreed to terms with Tampa Bay free agent wideout Tiquan Underwood.

While neither Cotchery nor Underwood is a true No. 1 receiver, Jackson is a three-time Pro Bowler who ranked among the league leaders last season with 82 catches for 1,332 yards and nine touchdowns.

But with roughly $5 million in salary cap room, Carolina is not in position to take on Jackson’s contract, which calls for him to make $10.5 million this year.

There are moves the Panthers could make to create cap space, including getting a long-term deal done with defensive end Greg Hardy, who will make $13.1 million this year after having the franchise tag placed on him.

But there have been no indications the Panthers are close to signing Hardy to an extension.

The Panthers could restructure the contracts of defensive end Charles Johnson or safety Charles Godfrey, both of whom carry big cap numbers.

But even if Carolina came up with the space or Jackson agreed to a restructuring, the Panthers still might not be interested.

Steve Smith, the franchise’s all-time receiving leader and one of the team’s most popular players, was released last week in part because general manager Dave Gettleman viewed him as a distraction, sources said.

If the Panthers cut ties with Smith because of his big personality, they clearly would have misgivings about acquiring Jackson, whose has a diva reputation around the league.

New England, San Francisco and the Jets reportedly have shown interest in the 27-year-old Jackson.

Last edited by a moderator:
I worry about DJax if he is not on the Eagles and if he does end up wherever Vick is, Is Vick a good passing QB all of a sudden? He has never had over 3,303 yards and 21 TDs, but he is supposed to do better on a new team and another year older? If Vick does go to NYJ, Geno can progress to be better than what Vick can provide.

False Start said:
I worry about DJax if he is not on the Eagles and if he does end up wherever Vick is, Is Vick a good passing QB all of a sudden? He has never had over 3,303 yards and 21 TDs, but he is supposed to do better on a new team and another year older? If Vick does go to NYJ, Geno can progress to be better than what Vick can provide.
It's a good point, but there are pluses. Vick can still fling it. And he can still run around and create time. You aren't going to get another 80/1300. But you could very well get a 60/1100. Similar outlook for me if he goes to CAR. I would be most concerned about SF given they have 3 great receiving options already. I expect Crabtree to have better stats and for VD and Boldin to get something. Leaves DJax as a Flex player +/-.

ANyone hearing anything about CLeveland as a possible destination?
First I heard of it.
There hasn't been anything. They just have a ton of cap room and a ton of picks. And, Desean + Gordon? Well, they would lead the league in TD's and orange jumpsuits.
huh?
Um. They're black?
Actually, neither has law trouble so far as I know but Gordon is one strike away from a long vacation and Jackson is a diva who wants a new contract every year. It'd take a strong locker room core to balance that out. Exaggeration and sarcasm.

On paper, it would make a lot of sense for the Browns is all I'm saying. It'd be an X's and O's nightmare. Plus, CLe has the cap room, picks, a win now mentality, and they're frontloading contracts (which would make sense for Desean if he wants a renegotiation).

Of course, the Browns have a shot at Watkins too. But, the Lions once tried for the Holy Grail trifecta at WR.

Get ready folks. Sanchez just cut, Vick about to sign with Jets, and DeSean won't be far behind I think.
DeSean and Vick in NYJ would be fun I think. If that happens, with Decker, adding a TE or another WR to boot after Kerley, plus giving Smith room to grow, maybe the Jets are finally thinking as an organization.

Chip doing his best Josh McDaniels impression
Truth. Why do coaches want to get rid of assets just because they don't like them. I thought that stuff only happens in corporate America not in a field where production equals success. Even though thats how it is in corporate America too, so guess the NFL is becoming the same way.

@Jeff_McLane: MT @MMehtaNYDN: Could Jets be in hunt for DeSean? Source tells me: "Philly is trading him or cutting him.That's a fact. They don't want him"

The bottom line is that he did or said something that did to over well with the higher ups. If they're willing to pay 6 million just for him to go away you know it had to be bad.

So laughable. As soon as they resigned Rilley and Maclin I knew it was coming to this. And when the team has to leak out that the coach has called the player and reassure them its over.

Chip doing his best Josh McDaniels impression
Truth. Why do coaches want to get rid of assets just because they don't like them. I thought that stuff only happens in corporate America not in a field where production equals success. Even though thats how it is in corporate America too, so guess the NFL is becoming the same way.
How did getting rid of Santonio Holmes work for the Steelers?

The bottom line is that he did or said something that did to over well with the higher ups. If they're willing to pay 6 million just for him to go away you know it had to be bad.
I guess so, but sometimes you have to put your personal feelings aside to be successful.

Follow the money
Like i said in the Eagles thread, if its just about money, then they did this so poorly it makes me lose a little faith in Chip and Howies abilities. It can't be just about money.
It's much easier to put up with a problem player making $1M than one making $10M. Especially when that player still complains about how much money he's making.

Follow the money
Like i said in the Eagles thread, if its just about money, then they did this so poorly it makes me lose a little faith in Chip and Howies abilities. It can't be just about money.
It's much easier to put up with a problem player making $1M than one making $10M. Especially when that player still complains about how much money he's making.
Now tell me how easy it is to fine 82/1332/9?

Follow the money
If be pretty happy with that from another Pats WR not named Edelman! I hope they get him!

Follow the money
Mike Francesa made a great point last yr or so about college coaches that come to the pros and fail, even though they bring good ideas and great systems to the NFL many times they fail because they can't make the transition from managing boys too managing young millionaries. If a totally different world from having a kid that is pretty much trapped to your program than a man that makes more money than you.

Follow the money
No its much easier to cut a problem player who makes a million. Its a lot harder to replace a pro bowl talent at wr when free agency is over.

Follow the money
They did - his name is Jeremy Maclin.

If they part with him I would say this would be one of the dumbest moves in quite some time by an NFL team.
Be about as dumb as that Trent Richardson trade, right?
ShaHBucks said:
DeSean's Career DYAR prior to Chip Kelly according to FBO:

2008 DYAR Rank: 56th

2009 DYAR Rank: 20th

2010 DYAR Rank: 46th

2011 DYAR Rank: 39th

2012 DYAR Rank: 72nd

This is who you think is worth top-5 WR money?

In Chip Kelly Offense:

2013 DYAR Rank: 7th

He's a byproduct of the system. DeSean has never even cracked the top-20 in a stat thats based on being better than the average WR. How can he not be replaced if that's the case? Go look at the numbers Oregon players put up in this offense. Players like Jeff Maehl outproduced DeSean by a wide margin in the same conference while playing for CK. I'm not saying Maehl is better, because he's not, but Chip is responsible for the production. If you believe that then a 3rd round rookie WR would probably be a stud in this offense with Nick Foles while saving 30M+. Heck, even Riley Cooper had a career year. He put up virtually the same #'s as Desean did while playing with Foles. http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=684751&page=12#entry16623442

I don't believe the rumors either FWIW.

(RotoWire)According to New York Daily News writer Manish Mehta, a source said "Philly is trading [Jackson] or cutting him. That's a fact. They don't want him."

Follow the money
Stop.

Follow the money
Stop.
Maclin only led Eagles receivers in receptions three years in a row and barely missed doing so his rookie year.

Follow the money
Stop.
Maclin only led Eagles receivers in receptions three years in a row and barely missed doing so his rookie year.
Never has had a 1000 yard season and he had this little season ending knee surgery for the 2nd time in his career. Not to mention his game is not the downfield burner. So excuse me if I'm not excited about dropping a pro bowler for an unknown.

Meanwhile Jackson had less catches than Maclin in all of those seasons but more yards in every one as well.

Follow the money
Stop.
There's several dozen Maclins in the league, Desean is a rare game breaking talent. I don't care what the numbers are, there's a big difference between the two.

You don't need a transcript of the entire thing. Nothing he said should sound any alarms whatsoever.
this whole story is hard to figure out. so they're going to get rid of their best wr because they don't want to pay him and be left with Riley cooper and maclin who is usually hurt. just seems odd.
I don't understand this either. He is only 27. He just had his best year ever. And when you look at one some very ordinary WRs are getting paid, 10.7 M for Jackson doesn't seem that our of line.

I don't understand this either. He is only 27. He just had his best year ever. And when you look at one some very ordinary WRs are getting paid, 10.7 M for Jackson doesn't seem that our of line.
10.7 Mil is good, but I'm wondering if he started to use the words holdout

This blip came out at the end of the season

DeSean Jackson said Monday he wants the Eagles to renegotiate his contract and give him a raise.

In March of 2012, Jackson signed a five-year, $48.2 million contract that included $15 million guaranteed. He's owed $10.25 million in 2014 base salary and a total of $30.5 million in salary plus workout bonuses over the next three years. But as he comes off a career-best season, he wants more. "I definitely feel like it's deserving," Jackson said. "I'm proven in this league, and after this past year, went out there, no distractions, and just really put it all in for my team and went out there and had a lot of success, so we’ll see how it goes." D-Jax has absolutely no leverage here. He's being compensated at a rate in line with the elite players at his position and is under contract through 2016. Skipping OTAs and minicamps won't do anyone any good.

Rotoworld:

The Kansas City Star doesn't expect the Chiefs to pursue DeSean Jackson unless he's released.
The Chiefs have a major need at wideout opposite Dwayne Bowe, but don't have the cap room to afford Jackson at his current salary. Jackson has ties to Andy Reid and would give Kansas City a vertical threat they desperately lacked in 2013. The Jets, Raiders, Panthers, 49ers and Seahawks have all been linked to Jackson and appear to be better landing spots.

Related: Chiefs

Source: Kansas City Star

Rotoworld:

The New York Post reports the Jets have interest in DeSean Jackson, but "not at his current price."
The Eagles are actively shopping Jackson, but his unwillingness to restructure makes any potential deal unlikely. Trade talks for Jackson are expected to intensify at this week's league meetings, with the Jets, Raiders, Panthers, 49ers and Seahawks among the teams that have expressed interest. Jackson is owed $10.7 million in 2014 and could ultimately be released.

Related: Jets

Source: Brian Costello on Twitter
The Philadelphia Inquirer's Jeff McLane reports the Eagles have "intensified efforts" to trade DeSean Jackson in the last week.
It confirms that the Eagles have been actively shopping Jackson, as opposed to simply fielding offers. Jackson is due a massive $10.7 million in scheduled salary and bonuses this year, making any trade difficult. Still, he's coming off a very strong first season in Chip Kelly's offense and figures to generate interest despite his cap number. Jackson reportedly doesn't expect to be back with Philadelphia in 2014. The Eagles "reached out" to the Panthers earlier this week, while the Jets have also been linked as a possible suitor.

Source: Jeff McLane on Twitter

Users who are viewing this thread