What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jalen Hurd, SF (1 Viewer)

Hurt, unless the 49ers are planning on moving on from Kittle. I could certainly see Hurd lining up all over the place, but doubt he will ever play a true in line TE constantly.
If he's labeled as a TE on FF sites but plays a mix of te and wr, I'd think that boosts his value. 

Had to draft him in the 3rd, he reminds me too much of boldin. The opportunity is there, in a promising offense. 

-OZ- said:
If he's labeled as a TE on FF sites but plays a mix of te and wr, I'd think that boosts his value. 

Had to draft him in the 3rd, he reminds me too much of boldin. The opportunity is there, in a promising offense. 
He's never going to be a TE. He's never played TE, and that is not where his skills are. He is a RB turned WR, which means he could easily get both carries and receptions for SF. Baylor started giving him more carries as the year unfolded last year. 

I got him at 3.11.  I think he is going to end up at RB, at least that is my hope. Given he is a big body, I think he could have a regular role as a rookie. 

I got him at 3.11.  I think he is going to end up at RB, at least that is my hope. Given he is a big body, I think he could have a regular role as a rookie. 
Didn't he switch to WR because he didn't want the abuse that RBs take?

Shannahan has some history of moving a player's position.  Niles Paul went from WR to TE for the Redskins.

I'd love to see Hurd classified as a TE but used mostly as a receiver and an occasional runner.

49ers third-round WR Jalen Hurd believes he is "a mismatch guy."

A former running back who played ahead of Alvin Kamara at Tennessee, Hurd was drafted as a receiver following a college position switch, and the 49ers have hinted at the possibility he eventually ends up at tight end. "That's not really my position right now to kind of guess and see where I'm going to play," Hurd said. "So I'm going to go in there, work hard and see where I end up." The quotes coming out of San Francisco suggest Hurd will open his career on the Tavon Austin-Cordarrelle Patterson spectrum as a valuable real-life weapon who struggles to create consistent fantasy points, but it is impossible to make anything more than a guess about his role at this point.

SOURCE: ESPN

May 9, 2019, 9:04 AM ET

Kyle Shanahan on the cutting edge with 'positionless' offense

The 49ers offense could have a much different look in 2019, and it’s not just because they’re getting injured players back. It appears head coach Kyle Shanahan is constructing an offense that pushes the typical boundaries of the way teams think about that side of the ball. 49ers running back Tevin Coleman, who spent his first two NFL seasons in Atlanta where Shanahan was the offensive coordinator, told reporters that he’s noticed a difference in the coach’s scheme since he last played in the offense in 2016 with the Atlanta Falcons. “He’s definitely more creative than he was in Atlanta, everything he’s doing with the backs, tight ends and receivers,” Coleman said according to Cam Inman of the Mercury News. The running back went on to say he’s lining up more as a receiver than he ever did during Shanahan’s tenure with the Falcons. That’s an interesting note when considering the type of players the 49ers have been stockpiling over the last two seasons.

Let’s consider the 2018 49ers for a moment. The fully healthy version of that offense featured versatile running backs Jerick McKinnon and Matt Breida. In the backfield with them was Swiss army knife fullback Kyle Juszczyk who can line up anywhere on the field. It also had an extremely athletic tight end, George Kittle. Those four alone all had the ability to stretch their on-field responsibilities outside of those typical for their positions. The receiving corps lacked in that area, and Shanahan made it a point this offseason to change that. He even told reporters at the owners meetings that versatility from his receivers would be something he wanted to fix over the offseason. He wanted more pass catchers who could line up in different areas and take on different responsibilities in the offense. That trend toward more interchangeable pieces started in free agency when the team added Coleman to their already crowded backfield. Then they signed wide receiver Jordan Matthews to a one-year deal. Matthews can play any of the receiver spots in the 49ers offense. Shanahan’s mission of offensive versatility continued in the draft when they used their second- and third-round picks on wide receivers Deebo Samuel and Jalen Hurd. Samuel is capable of the same versatility as Matthews, while Samuel is a converted running back who played a do-everything role during his final year at Baylor. Prioritizing a receiver in the second round wasn’t a huge surprise, but the Hurd selection in the third is a massive indicator of what San Francisco’s head coach has planned for his offensive attack. “Positionless” is the phrase du jour for describing what the 49ers are building on offense. They’re stocking up on players who allow them to vary their play calls and formations without ever changing the personnel. That layer of unpredictability is potentially deadly in a league where opposing coaches feast on tendencies.

Shanahan was already on the forefront of this concept last season. San Francisco ran 11 personnel (one running back, one tight end) with three receivers only 39 percent of the time last season, according to Sharp Football Stats. The next-lowest in the league was New Orleans at 53 percent. The NFL as a whole used 11 personnel a whopping 66 percent of the time, and passed out of that formation at the same rate. San Francisco passed out of 11 personnel 83 percent of the time. It’s the most predictable of the common personnel groupings, and the 49ers utilized it far less than the rest of the league. Where Shanahan varies greatly from the rest of the league is in the use of 21 personnel (two running backs, one tight end) with two receivers. NFL teams on average use 21 personnel just 8 percent of the time. San Francisco utilized 42 percent of their offensive snaps in 2018. By comparison, New England runs it 28 percent of the time; no other team eclipsed 15 percent, and the Rams didn’t use it once. While the league had a 40-60 pass-to-run ratio out of 21 personnel, the 49ers were at 46-54. Keeping defenses off balance through personnel groupings will be a hallmark of the 2019 iteration of the 49ers offense. One example that comes to mind is in 11 personnel. The 49ers will be able to deploy an 11 personnel package where Jalen Hurd is one of the three receivers, but he lines up as a tight end and gives it more of a 12 look (one running back, two tight ends) with two receivers. The next play could feature the same group with Hurd lining up as a running back and the running back splitting out wide to give a more traditional 11 look with a wide receiver in the backfield. They could even empty the backfield and essentially turn that package into a five wide receiver set. It’s a fascinating concept that could turn the 49ers’ offense into a tornado of varying personnel packages that tears up every offensive norm or tendency defensive coaches rely on.

A few obstacles stand in the way of this offensive revolution. Health is an obvious one, with quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo and McKinnon both missing most of all of last season with torn ACLs. Several members of the receiving corps dealt with injuries last season too, including Dante Pettis, who’s expected to be a key part of the passing attack. Any limitations from a roster standpoint could handcuff the coaching staff in terms of utilizing the various skill sets of their offensive weapons. Another big one is the development of rookies Samuel and Hurd. Their quick learning would be immensely helpful for San Francisco as they try and expand the playbook for players at different spots. It’d be a significant blow to the advancement of Shanahan’s offense if Samuel can only handle one receiver job, or Hurd doesn’t catch on quick enough to play a couple of different positions.

Shanahan’s innovative thinking on offense helped spawn head coaches like the Rams’ Sean McVay and the Packers’ Matt LaFleur. It doesn’t look like the coach is settling with a very good scheme. The 49ers are continuing to adapt to the ever-changing NFL, and if things go right, San Francisco will be several steps ahead of everyone else.

He looked pretty good out there I guess. Sure, it's the pre-season, but he fought for extra yardage and I didn't notice him making mistakes as a route runner. Maybe he could get a little better when it comes to route quickness and shiftiness, plus jumping off the line/snap a little better, but I liked what I saw from him. 

Well, I would like it if he could jump a little higher and could burn you deep, but honestly, that might come with some time. 

With the way he fights for extra yardage, I kinda hope the Niners consider using him for some GL and Red Zone touches as a RB. I know those days are behind him, but I fundamentally believe that you have to use a player's versatility to your advantage, as opposed to only making him specialize.

Chris Biderman @ChrisBiderman

Shanahan said Jalen Hurd only played eight snaps last night because he’s been dealing with back tightness this week. #49ers

Coach Kyle Shanahan was uncertain if Jalen Hurd (back) will be ready for Week 1 against the Bucs.

Hurd had a big preseason game against the Chiefs a couple weeks back, but he's been mostly working with the backups all summer. With both Hurd and Trent Taylor (foot) in question for Week 1, the Niners' three-wide set against Tampa Bay could be Dante Pettis, Marquise Goodwin, and Jordan Matthews in the slot, with Deebo Samuel as the No. 4. Pettis, of course, has been sidelined this week with a "minor" groin issue. This receiving corps has a lot to sort out.

SOURCE: Eric Branch on Twitter

Aug 27, 2019, 7:05 PM ET

49ers WR Jalen Hurd (back) didn't practice Monday.

Coach Kyle Shanahan indicated last week that Hurd will likely miss Week 1. The 49ers are also expected to be without Trent Taylor (foot), while Dante Pettis (groin) isn't at 100% either. This means Marquise Goodwin, Deebo Samuel and either Kendrick Bourne or Richie James could wind up working in 3-WR sets against the Buccaneers' putrid secondary. The Buccaneers were a bottom-10 defense against quarterbacks, running backs, wide receivers and tight ends alike in 2018.

SOURCE: Eric Branch on Twitter.

Sep 2, 2019, 2:16 PM ET

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said WR Jalen Hurd (back) is "week to week."

It goes without saying given his downgrade from day-to-day status, but Hurd won't suit up in San Francisco's juicy Week 1 matchup against the Bucs. With Trent Taylor (foot) also nursing an injury, the Niners will turn to some combination of Dante Pettis, Marquise Goodwin, Deebo Samuel, and Kendrick Bourne to connect with Jimmy Garoppolo. Despite the signal-caller's poor performance this preseason, the 49ers' offense is expected to be in an all-out point-for-point shootout against Jameis Winston and Co from the very first possession.

SOURCE: Matt Barrows on Twitter

Sep 4, 2019, 3:42 PM ET

Jalen Hurd (back) remained sidelined at Wednesday's practice.

Coach Kyle Shanahan called Hurd "week to week" last week, and Hurd doesn't look like he's going to suit up for Week 2 against the Bengals. The Niners went with a three-wide set of Deebo Samuel, Marquise Goodwin, and Richie James in Week 1, with Dante Pettis mixing in for two snaps.

SOURCE: Nick Wagoner on Twitter

Sep 11, 2019, 2:05 PM ET

Coach Kyle Shanahan said Jalen Hurd (back) is recovering from a stress fracture but could return to practice next week.

The nature of Hurd's injury wasn't yet known, but now we know why he's been sidelined for a month. Shanahan seems optimistic Hurd could be back for Week 5, but that's still up in the air. The Niners have been using a five-man rotation at receiver to open the year.

SOURCE: Cam Inman on Twitter

Sep 23, 2019, 6:37 PM ET

49ers placed WR Jalen Hurd on injured reserve with a broken back.

Hurd has been battling a stress fracture in his back since midway through the preseason. The 49ers obviously though he would avoid injured reserve when they kept him on their Week 1 roster, but he's not making the progress the team had hoped for. An "offensive weapon" type, Hurd is not the kind of rookie who could afford to lose so much practice and development time. He'll likely be too raw to be a realistic candidate for return when first eligible in Week 13.

Oct 3, 2019, 2:33 PM ET

49ers WR Jalen Hurd (back, injured reserve) will be re-evaluated next week.

Speaking Thursday, coach Kyle Shanahan confirmed the No. 67 overall pick will be a candidate for return. Hurd cannot do so until Week 13.

SOURCE: Can Inman on Twitter

Nov 7, 2019, 3:48 PM ET

49ers WR Jalen Hurd (back, injured reserve) will not resume practicing this week.

That had been the Niners' tentative plan, but Hurd did not show the team what it wanted to see last week. Hurd will be eligible for activation in Week 13. That is not looking terribly likely for the receiver-desperate 49ers right now.

Nov 12, 2019, 5:46 PM ET

Jalen Hurd (back, I.R.) is expected to miss the remainder of the season.

Hurd has experienced multiple setbacks, and coach Kyle Shanahan admitted it "has not been looking good" for the rookie to play this year. One of the stars of the preseason, Hurd will essentially redshirt as a rookie and look to make an impact next year in what remains a wide open receiver group with Emmanuel Sanders in the final year of his contract.

Nov 18, 2019, 8:57 PM ET

The Athletic's Matt Barrows reports Jalen Hurd (back) is expected to be ready for OTAs.

Per Barrows, Hurd's back injury is healed, and he's "doing well." The "offensive weapon"-type prospect ended up making zero regular season appearances after injuring his back in the preseason. The track record for gadget players who miss their entire rookie year is exceptionally poor, while Hurd will be old (24) for a second-year pro. His dynasty light is dimming, though the Kyle Shanahan connection remains worth investing in for one more year.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Feb 11, 2020, 6:14 PM ET

49ers GM John Lynch has a "lot of hope" Jalen Hurd (back) will be ready for the offseason program.

"(We) don’t want to officially give that word, but there have been some recent scans and things that give us a lot of hope that that’ll be the case, come April 1, he’ll be a full-go," Lynch said. Lynch did add that Hurd's stress fracture had proven "stubborn." Perhaps there is the possibility of a setback, though The Athletic reported earlier this month that Hurd is already healed. A full offseason would do wonders for the 24-year-old slash prospect.

SOURCE: NBC Sports Bay Area

Feb 25, 2020, 8:17 PM ET

49ers GM John Lynch said WR Jalen Hurd (back) "is cleared."

Hurd has been at the 49ers' facilities working on the stress fracture in his back that kept him off the field during his entire rookie season. Lynch notes that the team is "ramping him up" and "very optimistic" that Hurd can contribute in his second year. With Deebo Samuel, first-round rookie Brandon Aiyuk, and others ahead of him on the depth chart, Hurd remains off the fantasy radar in San Francisco's run-heavy offense, but it sounds like he'll be ready when the team can meet. 

SOURCE: Matt Maiocco on Twitter

Apr 27, 2020, 7:05 PM ET

Yeah I really liked him last year when I was watching his tape but I fear there's very little opportunity in SF. 

I love the player. Love that he is able to line up in multiple spots. He'd be lacking targets but may get a few carries in the running game. Worth a stash to see what happens.

49ers WR Jalen Hurd (back) has resumed catching passes in informal sessions with Jimmy Garoppolo. 

The 49ers announced in April that Hurd had been cleared for "activities." He had not caught passes since last August. “Jalen is very raw. He’s so explosive, so powerful,” Garoppolo said. “There’s so many little technique things, I guess you could say, he hasn’t even learned yet. But he enjoys learning it. That’s one of the main things I like about coming out here — when we get to talk about the stuff, you can see he’s eating it up, taking it all in. And then he goes out and does it. When you have a guy like that, it makes quarterbacking very easy.” That rawness is one of many reasons Hurd is unlikely to make a 2020 re-draft impact, but he is yet another all-purpose talent in an offense that has placed an emphasis on versatility amongst its pass catchers. 

Jun 12, 2020, 4:07 PM ET

49ers WR Jalen Hurd is expected to play the "big slot" role this season.

Per beat writer David Lombardi, the 49ers strive for "position-less" football, and Hurd might be the prime example. The former Vols running back could handle a couple carries per game, catch passes over the middle of the field, or use his 6-foot-4 inch frame to block on the edge -  likely busting common personnel groupings defenses match-up against. If Hurd is the "big slot," that makes Trent Taylor the "small slot." Both are coming off injuries that forced them to miss the entire 2019 season.

Jul 8, 2020, 9:43 AM ET

Questions remain about Jimmy Garoppolo, but deep 49ers motivated coming off Super Bowl loss

Excerpt:

#FantasyHotTaek

Matt: Jalen Hurd records more fantasy points than Brandon Aiyuk. This take is meant to shine more positivity on my hopes for Hurd, rather than pessimism toward the rookie. Aiyuk may have a large learning curve heading into the NFL, as he simply just did not defeat press in the rare moments he did see that type of coverage in college. He will have to be schemed open, much like Samuel was as a 2019 rookie. However, while they both win after the catch, Aiyuk is far more apt at electric elusive moves whereas Deebo played like a bully. Hurd, as a former 1,200-yard rusher in the SEC turned wide receiver, could slide into those packages far easier. Kyle Shanahan has spoken positively about Hurd and his potential to fill roles as a runner, H-back and slot option.

49ers mailbag: Are Jalen Hurd, Jerick McKinnon really looking as good as teammates say?

Excerpt:

How is Jalen Hurd looking? (@hinojos1986)

We haven’t seen Hurd in a full-team practice since last August. Our long wait will soon be over. Meanwhile, here was Raheem Mostert’s assessment of Hurd, who missed his rookie season with a back injury: “He’s a bigger receiver and probably the most physical receiver I’ve seen tap-wise and even going out there practicing. It’s nice to see him back.” Mike McGlinchey hailed Hurd’s imposing presence as: “6-4, 240 (pounds) and built in a lab.”

He will be their second best option in the redzone. I hesitate to say best option in the redzone because Kittle is such a dynamic player but if you look at Kittle's TD numbers they aren't super impressive. I keep going back to Hurd's preseason debut last year. He lined up in the slot 23-32 snaps and had 3 receptions. Two of those receptions were TDs. One lined up in the slot and the other out wide on a fade. 

No Deebo to start the season and a rookie with basically no preseason snaps is all that's in his way. Hurd quietly finds himself in a really juicy spot........

He will be their second best option in the redzone. I hesitate to say best option in the redzone because Kittle is such a dynamic player but if you look at Kittle's TD numbers they aren't super impressive. I keep going back to Hurd's preseason debut last year. He lined up in the slot 23-32 snaps and had 3 receptions. Two of those receptions were TDs. One lined up in the slot and the other out wide on a fade. 

No Deebo to start the season and a rookie with basically no preseason snaps is all that's in his way. Hurd quietly finds himself in a really juicy spot........
Completely agree but his injury history scares me a little. Seems like he struggled to get healthy last year and then he ended up with some kind of back fracture, which doesn't sound good. If he can get out there I have no doubt he'll be terrific, but he's one of those guys I'd be scared of him getting dinged up at any time. Maybe that's unfair, but he's been dealing with something ever since before the draft process last year. 

Jalen Hurd (back) was limited in the 49ers' first training camp practice.

Hurd practiced with the team during the first portion, but then went to the sideline for the second half. It likely means he's close to a full return. With Deebo Samuel (foot) looking 50/50 to play the season opener, Hurd could become a deep-league fantasy player to know early in the season. Hurd is a physically impressive player with lots of college production at multiple positions, making him a great fit with the ever-so creative Kyle Shanahan. Expect Brandon Aiyuk, Trent Taylor, Hurd, and others to compete for snaps left behind Emmanuel Sanders.

SOURCE: Mercury News

Aug 15, 2020, 8:24 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread