What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jameson Williams, DET (1 Viewer)

PFF's Mike Renner has Alabama WR Jameson Williams as his top-ranked receiver on his big board.

This wide receiver class is five deep at the top and all three could be at the top of the class. For Renner, that player is Williams (6'2/188) and he has him at nine on his board. Williams combines an element of dynamic speed and twitch that allows him to both start and stop along with being excellent in the open field. Williams did suffer a torn ACL but it doesn't look like he ended up paying an injury tax for Renner.

SOURCE: PFF

Apr 19, 2022, 10:01 PM ET

as a Washington fan I would love to get him with the 1.11 pick. If he misses 4-8 games getting healthy so be it. 

More and more I think he goes to a "bad team" at the top of the draft making it murky when you want to select him in fantasy.

Alabama WR Jameson Williams was a player to be counted on when it come to scoring from the slot in 2021.

Williams (6'2/188) is a player who has garnered a lot of attention within a deep wide receiver class, finding himself at the top of some analysts' boards. Williams brings several things to the table, operating well for Alabama from the slot and playing with a lot of twitch -- a trait highly desired from wideouts going to the next level. He was the kind of touchdowns from the slot in 2021, scoring eight of those to outdo Arkansas' Treylon Burks by one touchdown in the category.

Apr 22, 2022, 7:40 PM ET

The Athletic's Bruce Feldman reports an NFL wide receivers coach likened Alabama WR Jameson Williams' speed to Tyreek Hill's. 

The receivers coach said Williams is the draft's top wideout and "it's not close." "He’s blazing fast and you can’t replicate that top-end, and his play speed is different  — like Tyreek Hill different — he’s running away from SEC guys," the coach told Feldman. "His explosiveness after the catch is rare. His quickness at the line of scrimmage is just different." Williams averaged 19.9 yards per reception in 2021, the highest mark among pass catchers with at least 50 targets. Scouts and NFL coaches told Feldman they admired Williams' competitiveness on game day and in practice, and see him as the receiver with the most upside in the 2022 draft class. Williams, of course, is recovering from an ACL injury headed into the draft. NBC Sports' Peter King has Williams going to the Jets with the tenth pick in this week's draft. Meanwhile. NBC Sports Edge's Thor Nystrom projects Williams as the class' fourth best wideout. 

RELATED: 

New York Jets

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Apr 25, 2022, 10:37 AM ET

Comparisons for Jameson Williams that are out there:

• Robby Anderson 
  • Will Fuller 
  • DeSean Jackson
  • Tyreek Hill
If Robby Anderson is his floor and something close to Tyreek Hill is the ceiling  - that is a range of outcomes that is very tantalizing.

• Robby Anderson 
  • Will Fuller 
  • DeSean Jackson
  • Tyreek Hill
If Robby Anderson is his floor and something close to Tyreek Hill is the ceiling  - that is a range of outcomes that is very tantalizing.
until the Jets draft him and his value drops like a rock   :kicksrock:

• Robby Anderson 
  • Will Fuller 
  • DeSean Jackson
  • Tyreek Hill
...and I think his floor is higher than Anderson.

Nobody has that high a floor. He is coming off an ACL injury. His floor is he never plays.
The health 'floor' exists for anyone. It's only something I account for when there is tangible reason to believe it is more likely to be an issue than any other random player. There was a day when an ACL qualified, but I don't think that's the case anymore.

Assuming health I think D Jacks is a reasonable worst case.

The health 'floor' exists for anyone. It's only something I account for when there is tangible reason to believe it is more likely to be an issue than any other random player. There was a day when an ACL qualified, but I don't think that's the case anymore.

Even without health issues, lots of players bust completely. 

Also the health issue is waaaay bigger for someone coming off an ACL injury. 

Three of four quoted NFL personnel claimed Alabama WR Jameson Williams is the best WR in the class in Bruce Feldman's latest draft confidential.

How quotes were picked is unknown, but three of the four NFL personnel like Jameson Williams (6'2"/188) as the best WR in the class, with one of them saying it's not particularly close. Obviously his speed and explosion were the highlights, but one mentioned that he loved Williams' competitiveness, which isn't talked about as much. The one holdout scout/coach took Garrett Wilson as the best WR in the class with great twitch and excellent ball skills. 

RELATED: 

Garrett Wilson

SOURCE: Bruce Feldman on the Athletic

Apr 25, 2022, 3:15 PM ET

This is not at all true. The risk for another ACL injury is 10x higher for 1. Arthritis risk 5 years out is huge.
Got any resources that support this? My understanding is ACL recoveries can become problematic if one returns to activity too soon, has a pre existing injury to the same knee, the ACL injury is not isolated and other injuries also occurred, and of course if this is not the first one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Jameson doesn't fit any of that criteria.

Always open to new information though.

I am no surgeon, but I can confidently say I would rather have Jameson Williams without the injury than with it.  From all accounts, Williams is progressing well and is ahead of schedule.  I generally take reports like that with a grain of salt this time of the year, as that is precisely what I would expect Williams and his handlers to be putting out there; however, that truly seems to be the case.  Still, projections that Williams will be a full participant by training camp seem a bit too optimistic.

ACL surgeries and rehab have come a very long way in recent years, but there is of course always a risk that a player takes a prolonged period to return, never returns to 100% or suffers a setback during his return.  

I do not recall all of the details around the ACL injury to Bryce Love, but it essentially ended his career.  There are no guarantees a player returns to his pre-injury form.

NFL teams have done their due diligence, and it is a very good sign that Williams is still being discussed as a first rounder.  I expect that the team which drafts Jameson Williams will also exercise caution and ease him into action.

2022 NFL Draft Buzz: Latest league news, rumors from Monday ahead of Thursday's Round 1

Excerpt:

Jameson Williams' sky-high draft stock appeared to take a significant hit the moment he suffered an ACL injury in the College Football Playoff National Championship Game.

Nearly four months later, it appears the Alabama wide receiver may not have to endure such a slide after all. On Sunday, Williams' agent tweeted a video of his client working out, providing prospective teams with a status update on the receiver's progress in rehab from his ACL tear. NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported teams don't appear to be too worried about Williams' journey back from the knee injury, which has not experienced any complications or setbacks.

"Obviously, an ACL is a concern for any player. Teams like to know what exactly they are getting," Rapoport said during Monday's edition of NFL NOW. "It doesn't seem like it's that much of a concern to me from the teams I've spoken with. I don't know if he's going to be the first receiver taken, but he is going to be taken very high. I would not be surprised if he is a top-15 pick, ACL or not."

Williams left Ohio State to move to Alabama in 2021, becoming a star receiver in his only season with the Crimson Tide in an offense that also included wideout John Metchie. Both suffered injuries in Alabama's postseason play, and Williams' came at the worst possible time, especially for a player expected to attract a ton of attention from NFL clubs.

With the receiver making steady progress and suitors looking for a big-play wideout in the pass-first NFL, Williams might avoid a drastic slide typical of decades past. Williams stands as the second-best receiver in the class, per NFL Network's Bucky Brooks' most recent position rankings. We'll see which team is willing to take the risk with the hope of long-term payoff.

This is not at all true. The risk for another ACL injury is 10x higher for 1. Arthritis risk 5 years out is huge.
Do you have a source on this? The arthritis risk I believe but I've never heard of higher risk for an ACL after a successful repair. As someone who had an ACL repaired around 10 years ago, I remember being told I would actually be less likely to tear it after the surgery and I doubt medical science has gotten worse in 10 years.

Do you have a source on this? The arthritis risk I believe but I've never heard of higher risk for an ACL after a successful repair. As someone who had an ACL repaired around 10 years ago, I remember being told I would actually be less likely to tear it after the surgery and I doubt medical science has gotten worse in 10 years.
Agreed, I had an ACL reconstruction in Dec 2009 and they told me it was stronger (with proper rehab that took better part of 9 months but I was slow jogging again by month 4 as part of that)  than my "good" knee and it feels it. Yes I'm not a world class athlete by any means, just I was told the same thing and can relate to the rehab timeline JW is facing! 

For the record I feel he will begin on the PUP and be ready mid-season and as a dynasty asset that I'm hoping to get at 1.04 (non-SF) I am excited for that as we can stash players on a rookie Taxi Squad for as long as. Having him for late 2022 or even 2023 would be worth the wait. 

I can’t really think of many players that tore the same ACL multiple times - I’m sure it’s happened but doesn’t seem all that common.

Safe floor, Olave if you want speed, London if you want size. Or Jameson Williams if you want a higher ceiling.

Christian Watson looks almost as explosive as Jameson, and he showed good field vision on KR and jet sweeps. I'm guessing Watson doesn't have quite the WR moves and the skills as Jameson. Jameson might go top 10, Watson top 30.

Not sure but he has had two ACL tears. Like I said I’m sure it happens.
Same one, per sources. 

"Odell Beckham Jr. received his first Super Bowl win last night, but it came at a tough cost. The former Cleveland Browns receiver tore the same ACL he did during the 2020 season, last night against the Bengals."

"As NFL Network's Ian Rapoport detailed on The Pat McAfee Show, the surgery that Beckham had to repair his latest torn ACL "corrected a bad surgery" he had on the same knee a couple of years ago."

Same one, per sources. 

"Odell Beckham Jr. received his first Super Bowl win last night, but it came at a tough cost. The former Cleveland Browns receiver tore the same ACL he did during the 2020 season, last night against the Bengals."

"As NFL Network's Ian Rapoport detailed on The Pat McAfee Show, the surgery that Beckham had to repair his latest torn ACL "corrected a bad surgery" he had on the same knee a couple of years ago."
The last line is interesting. I wonder if they reported it as “successful” surgery at the time.

Got any resources that support this? My understanding is ACL recoveries can become problematic if one returns to activity too soon, has a pre existing injury to the same knee, the ACL injury is not isolated and other injuries also occurred, and of course if this is not the first one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Jameson doesn't fit any of that criteria.

Always open to new information though.
There are many studies that show this. Here is a review 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26772611/

The risk for reinjury in the same knee is higher, but the risk is also higher in the other knee. It is probably more that you were always at higher risk than other people. 

Safe floor, Olave if you want speed, London if you want size. Or Jameson Williams if you want a higher ceiling.

Christian Watson looks almost as explosive as Jameson, and he showed good field vision on KR and jet sweeps. I'm guessing Watson doesn't have quite the WR moves and the skills as Jameson. Jameson might go top 10, Watson top 30.
Watson's problem is he can't catch

I haven't watched much of him, but his drop rate is truly awful. 
The FantasyPros expert consensus has Watson outside the first round. Behind London (8),  Wilson (10), Williams (13), Burks (19), Olave (22), Pickens (30). That was 6 days ago, I think before the video came out of Williams doing some running drills. 

That would leave Dotson, Watson, Moore and maybe even Pierce for teams wanting a WR in round 2. I think the consensus picks above is an overdraft of WRs, which would leave good talent at OT, CB, and safety  for teams like the Jets and Seahawks with 2 picks each early in the 2nd round.

In the league where I have picks 5 and 6 and don't need WR help this year, I really hope Williams falls to me.  

With the draft in August, he probably wont fall

I could obviously be wrong, but I think ifJameson falls past Atlanta, the chiefs are working to move up and get this guy. Yeah he might not help a whole lot early in 22, but Pat to Jameson will look great for years.  I think Atlanta makes the most sense as they basically punt 2022 anyway. 

Last edited by a moderator:
William Galloway @Wm_Galloway

Alabama WR Jameson Williams reached 23 MPH in practice on Wednesday 😳🤯

(@MattRheaPhD)
https://twitter.com/wm_galloway/status/1453659777926565888?s=21

Sidelines - Bama ###N_Alabama

Alabama WR Jameson Williams was the fastest ball carrier in college football this weekend, hitting 22.4 MPH against Georgia on Saturday.

Speed kills.
#RollTide
https://twitter.com/ssn_alabama/status/1468250566837121033?s=21

Hutchinson Brown @tyfmnfl

Jameson Williams’ fastest speed on the field in college was clocked in at about 23 MPH. Since 2016, Tyreek Hill and Raheem Mostert are the only two players in the NFL to have hit 23 MPH on the field.

Jameson Williams doesn’t just have speed. He has GAME CHANGING speed.
https://twitter.com/tyfmnfl/status/1519363703308697602?s=21

Lions traded up with the Vikings to select Alabama WR Jameson Williams with the No. 12 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.  

Williams (6'2/179) was unable to earn consistent playing time at Ohio State as a freshman or sophomore, compelling a transfer to Alabama. The move paid off enormously, with Williams emerging as college football's premier deep threat. Williams finished 2021 with 79 receptions for 1,572 yards and 15 touchdowns in 15 games, accounting for 31% of Alabama's receiving yards and receiving TDs. Williams was named a first-team All-American and first-team All-SEC; he was also named the SEC Co-Special Teams Player of the Year after returning 10 kickoffs for 352 yards and two scores. Unfortunately, Williams tore his ACL in the national championship game, which will substantially impact his rookie season. Once healthy, he will likely need to bulk up slightly from his 179-pound Combine weigh-in, which his 6'2" frame should accommodate, allowing him to operate as a classic NFL deep threat in the mold of Will Fuller. In Detroit, he should dominate the Lions' limited deep ball opportunities. 

Apr 28, 2022, 9:31 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread