What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (2 Viewers)

Why the heck would this change Gordon's or others suspensions? It's like saying the speed limit was just raised to 80mph, so if anyone got a speeding ticket under 80mph within the last year they will have them ripped up. Pipe dream.
Because raising the speed limit doesn't involve a negotiation between two parties who want different things and need to find a compromise...and this does.

Why the heck would this change Gordon's or others suspensions? It's like saying the speed limit was just raised to 80mph, so if anyone got a speeding ticket under 80mph within the last year they will have them ripped up. Pipe dream.
If you are currently being punished for a past incident of breaking a rule, once that rule no longer exists, your punishment should immediately end.

Because raising the speed limit doesn't involve a negotiation between two parties who want different things and need to find a compromise...and this does.
Problem is you then have to go back and make it right for all the others in the program and having received consequences. Rescind Gordon's suspension and you have to retroactivity do the same with anyone else. On top of that, Gordon has this DUI issue out there. After the Rice blow back, the NFL isn't going to let Gordon skate.

Look, what makes a Gordonite a "Gordonite" is insisting that he was somehow going to play in light of a mountain of evidence to the contrary, and an easy, thoughtless switch from one argument to another.

"We don't know it's 16 games, we only have a thousand reports, you don't know for sure!" 16 game suspension confirmed. Okay but:

"The appeal is taking too long - the NFL is scared!" Gordon loses his appeal. Okay but:

"Gordon has the best lawyers in the galaxy, all he has to do is get an injunction, which is easy!" No appeal filed, Gordon starts selling cars. Okay but:

Etc.

This is a little different. The reports are that the NFL and NFLPA are negotiating a new policy. It seems like the NFL wants some give from the NFLPA, and the NFLPA, it's reasonable to assume, will want some things from the NFL.

NFL: We want HGH testing.

NFLPA: Fine, but you have to change how amphedemines are classified, AND we want to increase the marijuana threshold becase, you know, it's not 1950....

NFL: Fine! Sucker!

NFLPA: ...wasn't finished. We want any changes to be applied retroactively to the beginning of the (NFL season/calendar year/whatever).

NFL: No way! Gordon? Do you know how many ##### e-mails I got from fantasy nerds telling me that pot was legal in like six states. And if Welker doesn't take a few weeks off his brain is going to expl-

NFLPA: HEY! When you wanted to throw together a "Domestic Abuse" policy in like 24 hours, did I give you any flak?

NFL: Well, no, you were pretty accommodating on that, but -

NFLPA: You owe me one. Apply the changes retroactively, and we'll hammer this thing out before kickoff on Sunday.

NFL: Ugh, fine, but we're EVEN.

I still think it's unlikely...but I can see it. And to ignore new evidence would make me no more than an AntiGordonite.
I would bet against it, but you're right. There is a slight chance this plays out as you say. Getting blood testing and HGH testing is the real deal--blood testing is so much more accurate and HGH is the real evil here. I suspect that they would still make current offenders be suspended some--but I could see cutting the penalty in half. That's what I would negotiate.

You really think the handful of players who have been suspended are the bargaining chips in this? Come on

If you are currently being punished for a past incident of breaking a rule, once that rule no longer exists, your punishment should immediately end.
If you are currently not being punished for a past incident of not breaking a rule, once that rule exists, your punishment should immediately start.

Don't get too excited yet. He'll probably just pop hot for HGH a week after having his dope suspension removed. :) That would be an epic turn of events!

I'm torn on this possible news. I'm partially invested in him after stashing him with a late rounder in a redraft. But in my main auction league, I couldn't bring myself to pay to keep him, and a big rival got him really cheap...mostly due to my drunkenness.

If it turns out to be accurate, it would add some more spice to the best weekend of the year!

Problem is you then have to go back and make it right for all the others in the program and having received consequences. Rescind Gordon's suspension and you have to retroactivity do the same with anyone else. On top of that, Gordon has this DUI issue out there. After the Rice blow back, the NFL isn't going to let Gordon skate.
No you don't. The NFLPA would only (in this hypothetical) be arguing for the reversal of any suspensions that would be affected by the new rules. So if the increase the level of the marijuana test to 20 whatevers per whatever, you'd only be looking at suspensions that were due to marijuana that were below 20 whatevers per whatever. We know that Gordon was just over the current limit. I don't know about other players, but you wouldn't have to reverse all suspensions, just the ones that wouldn't have occurred under the new rules.

You really think the handful of players who have been suspended are the bargaining chips in this? Come on
I think the NFLPA fights/negotiates/advocates for players. That includes players who are suspended, and probably especially applies to big name players like Gordon. This would be a big, highly public win for the NFLPA.

No you don't. The NFLPA would only (in this hypothetical) be arguing for the reversal of any suspensions that would be affected by the new rules. So if the increase the level of the marijuana test to 20 whatevers per whatever, you'd only be looking at suspensions that were due to marijuana that were below 20 whatevers per whatever. We know that Gordon was just over the current limit. I don't know about other players, but you wouldn't have to reverse all suspensions, just the ones that wouldn't have occurred under the new rules.
This will not happen.

So the guy who got tagged 3 years ago who wouldn't have under the new rules is getting his pay back?

You can collectively bargain for new rules going forward, you can't collectively bargain for retroactive changes that only impact a portion of the bargaining unit.

I'd think we were at the point where people stopped making absolute statements regarding this case.
This will not happen.
I think it is unlikely. But I think it's a reasonable possibility and worth discussing. That differentiates it from pretty much every other "Gordon will get off" theory that's been put forth so far, in my opinion.

So the guy who got tagged 3 years ago who wouldn't have under the new rules is getting his pay back?

You can collectively bargain for new rules going forward, you can't collectively bargain for retroactive changes that only impact a portion of the bargaining unit.
No. Those players aren't suspended anymore.

As to your second sentence, my question is how do you know that?

I think the NFLPA fights/negotiates/advocates for players. That includes players who are suspended, and probably especially applies to big name players like Gordon. This would be a big, highly public win for the NFLPA.
The handful of players who are currently suspended make up less than 0.2% of the players that this new drug testing would affect. I highly doubt the the NFLPA will be fighting for them in this instance.

The handful of players who are currently suspended make up less than 0.2% of the players that this new drug testing would affect. I highly doubt the the NFLPA will be fighting for them in this instance.
Conversely, if it's just 0.2% of players, then it doesn't require a major bargaining concession from the NFLPA to get them included. They're allowing testing for HGH. That's pretty big. The NFLPA must be getting some nice fruit baskets in exchange. I don't know why you or anyone would dismiss out of hand that one of the cherries on top is the application of a new, favorable rule to players who are currently suspended by the one it is replacing.

If this little pothead gets reinstated, I will laugh, shake my head, and tip my cap to Soulfly, wherever he is.

Rooting for you, my man.

No. Those players aren't suspended anymore.

As to your second sentence, my question is how do you know that?
It's not about the punishment timing, it's about the infraction date. If you had two people caught in Jan 2013 with one finishing his suspension in Jan 2014 and the other still lasting 8 weeks into this year due to an appeal, you can't let off the later and give him 8 games more pay after docking the other for 16 games.

Regarding your question, just from my experience working in a bargaining unit. Unions do do stuff retroactively that help some of the bargaining unit but not other parts (unless they re corrupt). Not treating everyone the same doesn't fly in a union and opens them up to blow back from their membership.

This isn't rocket science people. All the gnashing of teeth in this thread over a lot of what the shark move isn't.

The shark move in this instance , has always been, either draft him or keep him until it is known for sure that he isn't playing.

If he isn't , you have a pawn to use for a waiver move, and that always has value.

Just hold your fire boys, this thing is still only in the 5th or 6th inning.

Urgh. I am so stupid. Drafted him then dropped him onto WW two days ago when someone dropped Terrance Williams off their team.

Needless to say I have put back in for him and have to sweat it out till Saturday morning with last priority !

What rank would Gordon have held if he was not suspended?

1. Calvin

2. D. Thomas

3. Dez

4. Gordon?
I think closer to 7-8 IMO. I don't trust that offense without Norv nearly as much. After seeing the preseason, I would put him closer to 14-16.

Last edited by a moderator:
If this little pothead gets reinstated, I will laugh, shake my head, and tip my cap to Soulfly, wherever he is.

Rooting for you, my man.
What does a renegotiated CBA on a drug level, have to do with Soulfly?

Soulfly has shown he knows absolutely nothing about this topic from being wrong in every instance, people who agreed with him and support him are in that same ballpark. A backdoor adjustment to a CBA after the fact does not make him right in any sense about the process that led to Gordons suspension, I also would expect nothing less from a troll like you though.

Funny that the guys who claim to want to help Gordon are the ones who want to see his suspension overturned.

You guys just don't get it. It's not the dope, it's his decision making process. You let him off the hook here and all you do is reward him for yet another bad decision. It's called enabling, and it virtually ensures that he'll continue to make bad decisions. You've made Gordon worse by reinforcing his bad behavior.

And as normal on these kinds of situations, you feel great about curing the current symptom while the disease continues to grow.

Nope if you are suspended under an existing rule at the time, the punishment should continue until complete...This new rule if they are to enact it, should apply to anybody caught after the new rule goes into effect....That to me seems like common sense.

Going retro seems like it would create a #### storm. But I'm holding out a smidgen of hope for fantasy purposes.

Man, all that smugness from a few pages back seems to have evaporated.
Speaking of which, someone made a post about slaying all the stupid up in here yesterday and it appears to have mysteriously been editted/deleted away. I guess I can't bump it. :kicksrock:

Man, Gordonlvrs have quite the distorted view of reality
How is drafting someone in the last round or picking them up waivers and hoping for a small miracle a "distorted view of reality". What, like Kenny Stills was going to be a difference maker for my team and I'm an idiot for buying a Gordon lotto ticket?

LOOOOL oh, so many of you are gonna get a HUGE slice of humble pie if this passes

Tho, Im not counting on this happening
Why, was this forseeable?

Most of the people arguing against Gordon's case were doing so based on logic, the law/rules, the facts, etc. It wasn't some kind of witch hunt against you or Gordon. Frankly I still haven't even had my redraft yet (its tomorrow) so didn't really care. I just found some of the arguments in his favor absurd. Even now those that drafted him should have hope and be excited, but claiming a victory or some one else having egg on their face over this is pretty weird.

Man, all that smugness from a few pages back seems to have evaporated.
The reports are all speculation; no sources have been named. It seems like the secondary reports are based on the initial reports, which are based on no reported sources.

I still think it's very unlikely that this occurs, but if it does, I will enjoy the benefits (as a Gordon AND Welker owner).

Gordon doesn't have a pot problem

Gordon didn't test positive

Gordon hasn't been suspended

Gordon's only going to get 2 games

Gordon's only going to get 4 games

Gordon's only going to get 6 games

Gordon's only going to get 8 games

Gordon's going to file a lawsuit

Gordon's going to get an injunction

Gordon's going to get reinstated because they change the rules

Yeah, someone should be humbled.

:shrug: I picked up off the waiver heap, if it does not pan out, I'll toss him back.

It does have the feeling of the NFL strong-arming the players back to the negotiating table to deal with the HGH stuff. impose draconian penalties, then offer to reduce/eliminate in exchange for getting the deal done.

Nope if you are suspended under an existing rule at the time, the punishment should continue until complete...This new rule if they are to enact it, should apply to anybody caught after the new rule goes into effect....That to me seems like common sense.
Have you ever negotiated for anything? NFL made its point with the existing rules/penalties. The NFL does not want stars missing games, any more than the players do - so the easiest thing for them to give up in a negotiation is something they would gladly give up.

Players walk way feeling like they won something, owners get the HGH testing in place, while conceding something they would have conceded for free. Everyone wins here imo.

Unless, of course, the reason for modifying the rule is that it was unreasonable in the first place.

Why not. For my last roster spot, I'll grab him. Hopefully I don't regret cutting James White.

One thing I don't understand:

Why would the NFL retroactively reduce Welker & Gordon's suspensions on a policy change, immediately after they made a policy change on domestic assault and did not retroactively punish Ray Rice more. It seems pretty much like the same situation, which tells me it is very unlikely that anything happens here. But hey, Gordon is still worth the stash for a week.
Same reason guys get out of jail when laws are changed, but they never add time to sentences already handed down...

If you read what Albert Breer is saying, DeSmith is making it a point to put any suspension issued in 2014 aside. Not hard to understand, and this coming from a non Gordon supporter.

I cant believe the NFL level is lower then the military. That is poppyseed low.

One of Bree's tweets:

"Worth mentioning that Josh Gordon's failed drug test reportedly came in the 2013 league year. So he wouldn't necessarily be off the hook."

:lmao:

Wouldn't that be the final kick in the balls? Policy is CHANGED, ruling is RETROACTIVELY applied...but Gordon failed a test a month too early to get the get out of jail free card.

Now that the cat has emerged from the bag regarding the possibility that a comprehensive new drug policy will benefit players suspended in recent weeks and months under the current rules, look for plenty of players to apply plenty of pressure to the NFLPA to get a deal done, ASAFP.

Last night’s report from the Packers-Seahawks pregame mentioned only Broncos receiver Wes Welker and Browns receiver Josh Gordon, but other players also would experience relief if the new policy applies retroactively on subjects like the shifting of offseason stimulant use to the substance-abuse policy and/or the increase of permissible marijuana metabolite concentration from 15 ng/ml to 150 ng/ml.

Players like Cowboys cornerback Orlando Scandrick and Dolphins defensive endDion Jordan could suddenly find themselves getting a green light to play on Sunday, if a deal can be worked out today. While it’s unclear whether the appropriate i’s can be dotted and t’s can be crossed in an expedited fashion, real progress had been made toward a new drug policy. If both sides are motivated, a deal can get done.

Multiple sources have made it clear that the NFL is ready to get something done; the Commissioner himself said on the record two days ago that he’s been ready for three years. And while the NFLPA may prefer to try to extract a few more concessions, the involvement of specific players with significant dollars and playing time at stake likely will result in the placement of significant pressure on the union to work things out.

One of Bree's tweets:

"Worth mentioning that Josh Gordon's failed drug test reportedly came in the 2013 league year. So he wouldn't necessarily be off the hook."

Wouldn't that be the final kick in the balls? Policy is CHANGED, ruling is RETROACTIVELY applied...but Gordon failed a test a month too early to get the get out of jail free card.
didn't all reports say he failed in 2014? January. So yes... 2013 season, potentially... but the year 2014.

Would be interesting

One of Bree's tweets:

Even I would laugh

Users who are viewing this thread