What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (4 Viewers)

Because Coleman is a rookie and Gordon has already proved he can be the #1 WR in FF with 2 missed games that season.
He's also proven he can get suspended and miss an entire season. A risk you don't take with Coleman. I mean, I doubt I'd really want either. But it just seems to me the valuing on this is way off. But that's ok, different people think differently and I'm not here trying to tell anyone they are wrong. As I said, it was just a question on his train of thought.

DallasDMac said:
Serious question. Why would the guy who is suspended and one mistake away from being out of the league, who is also suspended the first four games, be 5 rounds more valuable than the one who is penciled in as an immediate starter? Especially in a redraft league?
Because Gordon was dominant in 2013. You remember 2013 don't you? Peyton Manning was passing for 5500/55. Chip was the hot buzz in the league turning the hapless 4-win Eagles into a playoff team his first season as HC. Promising rookie Zack Stacy almost had 1,000 yard and had 7 TD in only 12 starts with the Rams. Andre Johnson was dominating PPR with 109 receptions for over 14000 yards. Seems like just yester...... wait, how long ago was it that Josh Gordon looked any good?

Finishes top 10 on the season w 4 games missed 
Not disagreeing with you, but to play devil's advocate, he didn't exactly set the world on fire when he came back in 2014. So we are to believe that with an even longer layoff, an equally disappointing QB situation, and more guys to steal targets than a few years ago . . . that he will do almost as well as 2013 on a per game basis? Just floating that out there.

Anarchy99 said:
Not disagreeing with you, but to play devil's advocate, he didn't exactly set the world on fire when he came back in 2014. So we are to believe that with an even longer layoff, an equally disappointing QB situation, and more guys to steal targets than a few years ago . . . that he will do almost as well as 2013 on a per game basis? Just floating that out there.
FBG should implement drug testing for all message board members.  Soulfully would be joining Gordon on a 4 week suspension.

BobbyLayne said:
Coleman's ADP right now is 87ish, but that might slide as we move from mocks to actual. So I am thinking he'll be had in the 10th-12th round.

Not sure where Gordon will be but right now the staff has him around 70-75 in the rankings. Bit steep but 7th or 8th I would go for it.

To your question, I don't really care what drives perception. I'm interested in which round I need to target if I want him and which round I'll pass on if he keeps moving up.

I would imagine the answer is former All-Pro (with hot garbage QBs) versus unproved rookie = 4-5 rounds difference, but again, I don't really care.

But if I am taking a boom/bust guy in the 7th and I can get the guy who will benefit from his 4 game absence at the beginning of the season - and will likely benefit if things go south with the all or nothing proposition - seems like a good strategy to hedge the Gordon pick by taking Coleman. 

Or maybe good strategy is a stretch. That's why I threw it out there, for discussion.

Gordon in the 7th is a pick over someone like DeSean, Crabtree, Lockette. Pretty easy to justify. Gordon in the 6th is a pick over Hurns or Moncrief is a little tougher. Potentially he's way better than anyone going in the 5th or 6th, but he's also potentially a completely wasted pick. So his value needs to be 7th or 8th at this point for me to be interested.

Have drafted several teams already, Coleman is going in the 7th, Gordon was drafted early 7th after reinstatement, Coleman went late 7th in the same draft.

You will NEVER get Coleman in the 10th.

Hue Jackson LOVES Coleman and is totally invested in him, he has zero investment in Gordon.

Lockett went in the 6th btw and has gone as early as 5th.

Finishes top 10 on the season w 4 games missed 
Even if Gordon plays lights out - which isn't out of the question but also isn't any kind of lock - with all of the good receivers in the league right now, this seems like a pretty outlandish statement.

I'm sure even you don't really believe this but just perpetuating your schtick.

Even if Gordon plays lights out - which isn't out of the question but also isn't any kind of lock - with all of the good receivers in the league right now, this seems like a pretty outlandish statement.

I'm sure even you don't really believe this but just perpetuating your schtick.
+1

I will be impressed if Gordon is top 10 in the AFC let alone the entire league.

Antonio Brown

DeAndre Hopkins

AJG

Hilton

Cooper

Marshall

ARobinson

DThomas

KAllen

Watkins

Maclin

Edelman

Decker

Hurns

Landry

That's 15 good WR off the top of my head just from one conference.

Because Gordon was dominant in 2013. You remember 2013 don't you? Peyton Manning was passing for 5500/55. Chip was the hot buzz in the league turning the hapless 4-win Eagles into a playoff team his first season as HC. Promising rookie Zack Stacy almost had 1,000 yard and had 7 TD in only 12 starts with the Rams. Andre Johnson was dominating PPR with 109 receptions for over 14000 yards. Seems like just yester...... wait, how long ago was it that Josh Gordon looked any good?
He'd be a rising Junior in college if he was a HS senior when he had his career year.

Gordon is one of the top 2 or 3 must have lottery ticket players this season.

Hue Jackson has had a nice run in Cincy he completely rejuvenated the offense. He has his work cut out for himself with Cle but they are  playing the 11th easiest schedule.

He's the best flyer pick I can think of..

Definitely worth reaching for 

"You definitely get that sense of need to do something important with your life and with my career. Considering my age, how much time I've been out and how much time I got left nobody knows," Gordon said. "I'm starting to capitalize on that. Not only for myself but for the well being of my family and be there for this team that held me together and allowed me to comeback."

-King Josh Gordon

He is saying all the right things.  If he can do all the right things from here on out, it could be a great redemption story, a la Chris Carter.  Good Luck to him.

was blackmon ever reinstated? 

has manziel ever done a single thing on the field??

cuz gordon set records
Blackmon averaged over 7 catches and over 100 yards/game after being reinstated. Before getting suspended again.

Manziel is only 23 so he's on pace to break some of Gordon's records in the category of poor career crippling decisions before the age of 25. But it might be close. I am sure there is someone out there that insists johnny really "gets it" this time.

+1

I will be impressed if Gordon is top 10 in the AFC let alone the entire league.

Antonio Brown

DeAndre Hopkins

AJG

Hilton

Cooper

Marshall

ARobinson

DThomas

KAllen

Watkins

Maclin

Edelman

Decker

Hurns

Landry

That's 15 good WR off the top of my head just from one conference.
If he doesn't outperform the likes of Maclin and Decker I will be stunned. 

Brown aside, have ANY of those guys ever done what Gordon did? I mean, not even Brown matched Gordon's record, IIRC, tho I of course acknowledge Brown is the better WR. 

He was better on the field than any of those guys, and badder off it too :lol:

I saw this video online today of one kid running out of a tent and trips over the door. Then a second kid runs out and does the exact same thing after watching the kid before him do it. Then a third, a fourth and then a fifth kid. Five kids watched it happen in front of their face and couldnt help themselves and did the same thing again and again and again.

This is what I picture when people keep talking up Gordon. To think that so many in this thread have not learned their lesson. What does that say?

I saw this video online today of one kid running out of a tent and trips over the door. Then a second kid runs out and does the exact same thing after watching the kid before him do it. Then a third, a fourth and then a fifth kid. Five kids watched it happen in front of their face and couldnt help themselves and did the same thing again and again and again.

This is what I picture when people keep talking up Gordon. To think that so many in this thread have not learned their lesson. What does that say?
You dropping leveon bell too, bro? 

Was Bell ever banned for two years?
Where did I mention anything about dropping anyone?

I'm confused why you would even compare apples to oranges. You already went down with the ship, In all seriousness why would you start being objective now?

Hue Jackson has had a nice run in Cincy he completely rejuvenated the offense. He has his work cut out for himself with Cle but they are  playing the 11th easiest schedule. 
He did?

He shifted it from a pass oriented scheme to a run oriented scheme but he inherited an offense that was 10th in yards and 6th in points and went 15th & 15th in his first season and 15th & 7th in his second.

Seems like a push at best.

I'm confused why you would even compare apples to oranges. You already went down with the ship, In all seriousness why would you start being objective now?
Second time busted for weed. If it wasnt during a revised policy, Bell would be gone for much longer.

Apples to oranges? K. 

Apples to oranges?   More like McIntosh to Granny Smith!  This would be Bell's second suspension plus a DUI?  Love his talent, as I do Gordon's and even Martavis Bryant's, but once these guys get busted multiple times, there is always going to be a risk associated with them.

I agree with that, I dont want either.
But if comparing Bell to Gordon. Bell has not had season bans, his risk of being out of the league is not near what Gordons is.
If they were on the same level with the suspension time, maybe, but they are not.
I didnt bring Bell into a Gordon discussion, Soulfly and his always desperate attempts to justify Gordon in some way did.

If he doesn't outperform the likes of Maclin and Decker I will be stunned. 
Decker finished as WR10 in a non-ppr league I am in. Maclin was #17. Both with a game missed due to injury. I simply listed these players as 2 (of 15) good AFC receivers I could think of (right off the top of my head) that Gordon would be up against just to finish top 10 in his conference let alone the entire league as soulfly suggested.

Last edited by a moderator:
When is he gonna be useful to you?

After his long layoff last time, he looked out of shape.  He is starting training camp with an injury.  He's missing the first month of the season.  When are people planning on plugging him into the lineup?

Second time busted for weed. If it wasnt during a revised policy, Bell would be gone for much longer.

Apples to oranges? K. 
Bell has never been "busted"  by the NFL for weed, as far as we know.  He was entered into the program b/c of his arrest for DWI for weed, and he has missed tests, resulting in his pending suspension.  Now one could surmise (probably correctly) that he missed those tests b/c he would have pissed dirty, but the fact remains he has never been "busted" by the NFL for weed.

dont change the subject.
changing what subject? I won. Gordon will be back this season, by week 5. Despite months and months of knowledgeable members saying otherwise 

Despite being told countless times that Roger wouldnt even HEAR his appeal for months. Dion Jordon. Etc Etc.

The commish literally bent the rules for Gordon. I feel like a millionaire. You cant bring me down

Last edited by a moderator:
The commish literally bent the rules for Gordon. I feel like a millionaire. 
He did and it's a good sign pointing to the NFL lightening up on players smoking herb.  They could have snap suspended him another year with his failed/missed test earlier this year, but they made the right choice and just gave him a slap on the hand.

Users who are viewing this thread