What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (1 Viewer)

Who says it was weed? It could have been anything. Including harder stuff -- don't get me wrong. 

Love Gordon. Want him to get better. That's all his supporters ask for.  

Elevencents said:
440 pages. Unreal. Wish he would just retire already so this thread isn’t bumped for another entire offseason. 😴
Just wish I could hide it somehow. Another year of soul schtick is more than I can take.

NFL.com's Tom Pelissero reports suspended WR Martavis Bryant could be reinstated before the start of training camp.

Pelissero reports the same is true for Josh Gordon, something Ian Rapoport hinted at on Super Bowl Sunday. Per Pelissero, the NFLPA could have the ball moving on reinstatement by May. All of this is contingent on Bryant and Gordon having no more slip ups.

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Feb 7 - 5:10 PM

It won't let me quote the above post, but I've sort of given up on him playing and hope he can just put it together as a person. Sounds like he was using hard drugs. That's not good. 

Who says it was weed? It could have been anything. Including harder stuff -- don't get me wrong. 

Love Gordon. Want him to get better. That's all his supporters ask for.  

It won't let me quote the above post, but I've sort of given up on him playing and hope he can just put it together as a person. Sounds like he was using hard drugs. That's not good. 

His use is a known.  Go to page #### - it is in here somewhere ad nauseum.  That is one of the reasons the team is sticking with him (it isn't a "harder" drug).  Besides his freak abilities.  There is going to a new NFL marijuana policy in place soon and he will likely benefit from it. 

His use is a known.  Go to page #### - it is in here somewhere ad nauseum.  That is one of the reasons the team is sticking with him (it isn't a "harder" drug).  Besides his freak abilities.  There is going to a new NFL marijuana policy in place soon and he will likely benefit from it. 
They don’t release the results of the drug tests. A bunch of naive people assume it’s pot.

voiceofunreason said:
They don’t release the results of the drug tests. A bunch of naive people assume it’s pot.
"Gordon earned a basketball scholarship at Westbury Christian, a prep school in Houston, but was thrown out in the 10th grade for marijuana. He then attended and graduated from Lamar High, a public school in Houston.

At Lamar, Gordon said he joined a gang, Six Deuce Harvard Park Brim Blood, which involved carrying and shooting a gun — never “maliciously,” he said — stealing cars, fighting, scamming businesses with counterfeit money, and dealing drugs.

Gordon said he sold drugs, mainly marijuana, to “feed” himself. He said he smoked marijuana every day and drank vodka from Minute Maid bottles during class. He said he also started drinking codeine syrup mixed with soda his junior year [his last year at school] and experimented with Xanax, hydrocodone, and oxycodone at nearly every opportunity [Baylor was put on probation right after he graduated, if I remember correctly].

As a sophomore, Gordon was arrested mid-season when police found him and teammate Willie Jefferson asleep in a car parked in the drive-thru lane of a Taco Bell at 2 a.m. Officers found multiple bags of marijuana in the car, and both players were charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession, though the charges were dropped. Gordon’s coach at the time, Art Briles, also suspended him. Gordon played in 13 games, recording 42 catches for 714 yards and seven touchdowns that season.

While at Baylor, Gordon said a dealer from home would send him as much as six pounds of weed per week that he would sell in Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio. He estimates he banked over $10,000 per month from dealing."

Do you need more?  

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2018/09/18/josh-gordon-drugs-suspension-timeline

"Gordon earned a basketball scholarship at Westbury Christian, a prep school in Houston, but was thrown out in the 10th grade for marijuana. He then attended and graduated from Lamar High, a public school in Houston.

At Lamar, Gordon said he joined a gang, Six Deuce Harvard Park Brim Blood, which involved carrying and shooting a gun — never “maliciously,” he said — stealing cars, fighting, scamming businesses with counterfeit money, and dealing drugs.

Gordon said he sold drugs, mainly marijuana, to “feed” himself. He said he smoked marijuana every day and drank vodka from Minute Maid bottles during class. He said he also started drinking codeine syrup mixed with soda his junior year [his last year at school] and experimented with Xanax, hydrocodone, and oxycodone at nearly every opportunity [Baylor was put on probation right after he graduated, if I remember correctly].

As a sophomore, Gordon was arrested mid-season when police found him and teammate Willie Jefferson asleep in a car parked in the drive-thru lane of a Taco Bell at 2 a.m. Officers found multiple bags of marijuana in the car, and both players were charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession, though the charges were dropped. Gordon’s coach at the time, Art Briles, also suspended him. Gordon played in 13 games, recording 42 catches for 714 yards and seven touchdowns that season.

While at Baylor, Gordon said a dealer from home would send him as much as six pounds of weed per week that he would sell in Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio. He estimates he banked over $10,000 per month from dealing."

Do you need more?  

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2018/09/18/josh-gordon-drugs-suspension-timeline
Some people will beilieve lieterally anything. This stuff is all a long time ago. 

Some people will beilieve lieterally anything. This stuff is all a long time ago. 
"2014: Prior to the start of the 2014 season, Gordon was arrested for a DWI in Raleigh, N.C. According to police, he was pulled over just before 3 a.m. for driving 50 mph in a 35 mph zone. His blood-alcohol level was .09 — .01 over the legal limit. Two months after Gordon’s arrest, the NFL announced he had been suspended the entire 2014 season for a failed drug test (marijuana). The suspension was later reduced to 10 games due to the league’s reformed drug policy."

"2016: Gordon’s initial application for reinstatement was denied by the league in April because he failed another drug test. Gordon was reinstated by the NFL in July, allowing him to participate in training camp, but he remained suspended for four games to start the season. Gordon was expected to play in Week 5, but he elected to enroll in a 30-day intensive rehab program in New Hampshire.
Gordon told GQ he stayed sober for six months following his initial 30-day stint in rehab. He then wanted to celebrate “in the way [he knows] how,” which was drugs and alcohol. Gordon said at this point he reached his “rock bottom” and checked back into rehab for over three months.

“I found myself around the city of Gainesville just wandering, looking for a drug dealer,” he told Uninterrupted. “Looking for people on the street corner, whatever smelled like weed, somebody that looked like they had something, asking random people, knocking on like smoke shop storefronts seeing where I could find some stuff at. I was just looking for something, some type of relief.”"

Did you even read the article before responding?  It literally quotes Gordon.  He has been fairly transparent. 

Gordon said he sold drugs, mainly marijuana, to “feed” himself. He said he smoked marijuana every day and drank vodka from Minute Maid bottles during class. He said he also started drinking codeine syrup mixed with soda his junior year [his last year at school] and experimented with Xanax, hydrocodone, and oxycodone at nearly every opportunity [Baylor was put on probation right after he graduated , if I remember correctly].

Do you need more?  

"Graduated"? What's this now? 

If the Pats are still with Gordon, so should fantasy players.  That organization doesn't hesitate to cut a player or let them walk.  We all know it's a gamble, but the risk/reward should be there for many (not all) owners.

If the Pats are still with Gordon, so should fantasy players.  That organization doesn't hesitate to cut a player or let them walk.  We all know it's a gamble, but the risk/reward should be there for many (not all) owners.
That risk/reward balance hasn't worked out well for Gordon owners the past several seasons.

You're probably the exception. Not to mention all of the opportunity costs that have been wasted on him with roster spots.
This is probably me. I cut Doug Baldwin while keeping Gordon. Hard to say if exactly what I would have done if I had Gordon's roster spot, but that's the only drop I remember regretting while having him since a rookie. 

Imagine how many easy paychecks Justin Blackmon could have got posting stupid videos on Instagram of him working out. Amazing that he is still under contract with a team. 
Those two will go down together as some of the finest wasted talent the modern league has ever seen.  

Indeed. He's a person whose priorities are drinking first and football a distant second, at best. 

It's not mutually exclusive to say that he wasted his talents for the drink like Gordon wasted his for booze and drugs.  
I guess my point being is pointing to the ridiculousness (which it is) of a marijuana suspension doesn’t apply to either of these individuals. They are wasting their talent due to true addiction. If we want to offer forgiveness to someone’s career due to marijuana we should be posting in the Ricky Williams and David Irving threads.

I guess my point being is pointing to the ridiculousness (which it is) of a marijuana suspension doesn’t apply to either of these individuals. They are wasting their talent due to true addiction. If we want to offer forgiveness to someone’s career due to marijuana we should be posting in the Ricky Williams and David Irving threads.
Ah, okay. I missed your broader point. That's very true, and not something I'd argue against. They are both clearly addicted to toxic substances of some sort. 

Bojang0301 said:
Josh Gordon is an alcoholic that pops pills and does coke. If the people in this thread realized that four years ago they would have been better off. 
No.  He is a guy who has publicly admitted trying those drugs during his last year (junior year) at Baylor.  He has been very public about what he is addicted to.  He is a pot addict.  Maybe you should read the thread.  And look at some of the sources.  That is why the League keeps letting him back into the league.  If it was anything stronger, if Josh Gordon didn't have otherwise impeccable character, he would have been gone a long time ago. 

The Patriots aren't stupid.  Gordon will be back playing with the Patriots this season. And if getting a Super Bowl ring is wasting his talent, I want some of that kind of waste. 

Last edited by a moderator:
based on his history, i’m surprised some people are still this optimistic on his prospects.  
I'm stunned the Patriots both gave him a ring and placed a tender on him.  And no, even his more ardent supporters like myself see little hope for his football future.  

No.  He is a guy who has publicly admitted trying those drugs during his last year (junior year) at Baylor.  He has been very public about what he is addicted to.  He is a pot addict.  Maybe you should read the thread.  And look at some of the sources.  That is why the League keeps letting him back into the league.  If it was anything stronger, if Josh Gordon didn't have otherwise impeccable character, he would have been gone a long time ago. 

The Patriots aren't stupid.  Gordon will be back playing with the Patriots this season. And if getting a Super Bowl ring is wasting his talent, I want some of that kind of waste. 
Excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses. It’s been a half decade man. Do you believe in the Easter bunny and Santa Claus too?

What he has been is probably what he will continue to be. He is an extremely gifted player that cannot be relied on to stay on the field. It is quite simple. At some point his age or off field transgressions will take him away from the game. He is an elite athlete that has not been able to reach his full potential due to his addictive nature. The roller coaster will most likely continue. The Patriots would put him on the field if it helped them win one game during the season. I am sure they understand the risk of counting on him long term.

Excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses. It’s been a half decade man. Do you believe in the Easter bunny and Santa Claus too?
He got a Super Bowl ring last year. Seems like he is managing his career just fine.  

So what if Gordon smoked pot and experimented in college.  More than half the people I know have smoked pot and experimented with other drugs in college.  He isn't a crackhead.  He isn't a heroin addict.  There is a reason Tom Brady liked having Gordon's locker next to his.  It is because Gordon is a cerebral, hollistic football junkie and a freak athlete who is under an unprecedented media microscope because of who he was coming out of Baylor.  The league shows him latitude precisely because he is not some hardened criminal or a strung out junkie or even an alcoholic.  . 

Honestly, I think what you are saying says more about you than Gordon. There is a reason the Patriots tagged him with a 2nd round tender.    

So he graduated in 3 years.  Must be a really bright guy.   :nerd:

He got a Super Bowl ring last year. Seems like he is managing his career just fine.  

So what if Gordon smoked pot and experimented in college.  More than half the people I know have smoked pot and experimented with other drugs in college.  He isn't a crackhead.  He isn't a heroin addict.  There is a reason Tom Brady liked having Gordon's locker next to his.  It is because Gordon is a cerebral, hollistic football junkie and a freak athlete who is under an unprecedented media microscope because of who he was coming out of Baylor.  The league shows him latitude precisely because he is not some hardened criminal or a strung out junkie or even an alcoholic.  . 

Honestly, I think what you are saying says more about you than Gordon. There is a reason the Patriots tagged him with a 2nd round tender.    
Or he was getting a good discount on weed.

So he graduated in 3 years.  Must be a really bright guy.   :nerd:
I know plenty of smart people that didn't graduate from college.  He left early.  I KNOW you know the story and are just fishing.  Baylor went on suspension right after he left.  That place was a mad house.  And then he went to Cleveland.....

Or he was getting a good discount on weed.
We are talking Mr. Avocado Ice Cream here.  I doubt any poisons are entering his body.  He is playing until he is 90. 

“Experimented”... I certainly hope no one in your immediate circle ever deals with addiction. Your response would be “no biggie it’s only oxy and coke”, “it’s only drinking at 6AM until you blackout”.

Unreal the perspective here.

Users who are viewing this thread