What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (2 Viewers)

I agree .08 is BS but that doesn't make Gordon any less stupid for speeding around on a holiday with enough alcohol in his system to be borderline even. I have a high tolerance myself and drive fine but I don't speed when I've been drinking and I'm especially careful around holidays.
Stupidity is not a crime... I am not arguing that Gordon is not immature and stupid to an extent at this stage of his life...
Unfortunately it goes hand in hand. Speeding and being over .08 in this particular state are crimes.
Speeding is not a crime!
Where do you live, the Autobahn? You can say that you don't think it should be a crime but what's the point? It is a crime and he got caught. The limit is .08 and he was over...
Speeding is not a criminal offense in the state that I live in. I don't know of a state where it is...

I could be wrong though??
I think if you are way over the speed limit it goes down as reckless driving and then it is criminal.

I agree .08 is BS but that doesn't make Gordon any less stupid for speeding around on a holiday with enough alcohol in his system to be borderline even. I have a high tolerance myself and drive fine but I don't speed when I've been drinking and I'm especially careful around holidays.
Stupidity is not a crime... I am not arguing that Gordon is not immature and stupid to an extent at this stage of his life...
Unfortunately it goes hand in hand. Speeding and being over .08 in this particular state are crimes.
Speeding is not a crime!
Where do you live, the Autobahn? You can say that you don't think it should be a crime but what's the point? It is a crime and he got caught. The limit is .08 and he was over...
Speeding is not a criminal offense in the state that I live in. I don't know of a state where it is...

I could be wrong though??
Whether speeding is considered a 'criminal offense' in the technical sense, or a misdemeanor or whatever is getting a little to nitpicky. They are both offenses of the law, against the law, however you want to word it. It obviously violates some law or else you couldn't get arrested and/or fined for it.

This will not end well. Gordon is an addict. Until he enters a rehabilitation facility and commits to getting clean, this will just continue to spiral out of control. His career is hanging by a thread.

I'm ambivalent. Part of me feels sympathy and compassion because I don't think addiction is a choice, but the other part of me feels that he's not being a participant in his own health and well being, so why should I have any sympathy.

If he wasn't going to face a full year of suspension before, I don't see how he avoids it now.

All in all, a sad state of affairs. Gordon is rapidly squandering his prodigious talent.

@CecilShortsIII 6m

Instead of attacking Josh Gordon, pray for him! It's crazy to me how we judge people when we all are battling with our own faults and issues
@SigmundBloom 1m

Lot of very judgmental people about a 23 year old making typical early 20's mistakes. It's sad and a waste, but he's not a murderer
@JayGlazer 46s

Josh Gordon what are you thinking?!? Honestly hope he gets help bc he can't help himself
Pfft. The kid is dumb just like many people are at that age. We didn't need prayers...we needed to grow up. We didn't have the incredible life changing opportunity he had so we didn't face the fall he is facing but rest assured this clown could have and still can help his damn self.

He deserves to be mocked by every person who will never have the opportunity this kid was gifted since we have to watch his dumb ### throw it all away.

So the circular addiction arguements and haranguing over what the BAC level should be aside, this last incident pretty much pins him for 1 more violation right? I mean soulfly was trying to say the May issue was over a missed test, which still qualifies as a failed test, but maybe there was still some wiggle room for him to worm his way out. DUIs count as a violation under the substance abuse policy, not the conduct policy right?

Gordon's gonna have to change his name to Houdini after this

@SigmundBloom 1m

Lot of very judgmental people about a 23 year old making typical early 20's mistakes. It's sad and a waste, but he's not a murderer
I have to disagree with Bloom on this one, Josh Gordon isn't making typical mistakes a 23 year old makes who has the life that Josh Gordon has. There is nothing typical about Gordon. He is arguably the best WR in the NFL, he has the chance to make millions upon millions of $$$$. Gordon might be 23 years old, but there is nothing typical about him. Gordon was given the golden egg and he dropped it.

When he was drafted

Gordon spent last season out of football after Baylor dismissed him from the team in August 2011. Gordon was suspended at Baylor for a failed marijuana test, he told the Chronicle.

When He failed the NFLs drug test for a 2nd time.

It was at least his second violation of the substance abuse policy, and at least his fifth failed drug test since 2010, including three for marijuana in college.

And now he's arrested for DWI

Pull your heads out of your ### people. He's a loser.

It seems like we're on life 9 here. Argue semantics and theories all you want, but he's got a long suspension coming, will be on the shortest leash in the league, if he can make it through his suspension, and always be one misstep from a lifetime ban. The guy is an embarrassment to the Goddell's league and with his star status, that's a serious problem.

The dude will really need a Cris Carter like turnaround. Sad; couldn't even stay straight while he's under a microscope.

@SigmundBloom 1m

I have to disagree with Bloom on this one, Josh Gordon isn't making typical mistakes a 23 year old makes who has the life that Josh Gordon has. There is nothing typical about Gordon. He is arguably the best WR in the NFL, he has the chance to make millions upon millions of $$$$. Gordon might be 23 years old, but there is nothing typical about him. Gordon was given the golden egg and he dropped it.
Yep. Typical early 20-year olds don't piss away millions of dollars to get high and drunk. Well, a few do, like Josh Gordon.

I really don't see this being curtains on the career of Gordon. Nor do I see it being a huge insurmountable issue. He's making some mistakes living the life that many of us wish we'd had at that age. He could get suspended this season, and next season, and still come back. He'd be the age Demaryus Thomas is right now.

Now I think he needs to wake the hell up, but I don't see anything to indicate that he's this addict along the lines of Doc Ellis or Leonard Little. He's not even Justin Blackmon. I don't know that there's any indication that Gordon is an alcoholic or a drug addict. He's in the program. But I don't know, for some reason his outlook to me isn't nearly as bleak as Blackmon's.

But he's got a ton of talent. A ton. Ray Lewis and Brandon Marshall type talent.

I'd buy if you can get him cheap.

Everyone's forgotten his positive test to

codeine, the drug associated with purple drank. purple drank, weed, alcohol = this kid has issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably already posted, but...

From ESPN: "WNCN, the NBC affiliate in Raleigh, reported Gordon's blood-alcohol level was .09, and he admitted to having three drinks with vodka. The legal limit in the state of North Carolina is .08."

At some point, can't you give the kid a freaking break?

I really don't see this being curtains on the career of Gordon. Nor do I see it being a huge insurmountable issue. He's making some mistakes living the life that many of us wish we'd had at that age. He could get suspended this season, and next season, and still come back. He'd be the age Demaryus Thomas is right now.

Now I think he needs to wake the hell up, but I don't see anything to indicate that he's this addict along the lines of Doc Ellis or Leonard Little. He's not even Justin Blackmon. I don't know that there's any indication that Gordon is an alcoholic or a drug addict. He's in the program. But I don't know, for some reason his outlook to me isn't nearly as bleak as Blackmon's.

But he's got a ton of talent. A ton. Ray Lewis and Brandon Marshall type talent.

If he sits out 2 years, just curious if his football skill will be anywhere near the level that it is now. Not only do you have to get him cheap (I consider a dynasty 2nd round pick fair value, a 3rd round pick is cheap), but he also will be taking up a valuable roster spot. Every year there are players on waivers who shine and to let them pass on to another owner because I'm holding a spot for Gordon, that has to be taken into consideration also. Then there is always the risk of him failing another test when he comes back.

From ESPN: "WNCN, the NBC affiliate in Raleigh, reported Gordon's blood-alcohol level was .09, and he admitted to having three drinks with vodka. The legal limit in the state of North Carolina is .08."

Can you be sure he hasn't been given any breaks before? But, just for argument sake, if this was his first time in trouble with the law, then I would agree with you.

If he sits out 2 years, just curious if his football skill will be anywhere near the level that it is now. Not only do you have to get him cheap (I consider a dynasty 2nd round pick fair value, a 3rd round pick is cheap), but he also will be taking up a valuable roster spot. Every year there are players on waivers who shine and to let them pass on to another owner because I'm holding a spot for Gordon, that has to be taken into consideration also. Then there is always the risk of him failing another test when he comes back.
I have no problem with holding on to a player like Gordon for two years. I have no concerns that his skills will erode. The issue is that there's very little to suggest that after the two years, things will be find'n'dandy. He'll still be in the program. He'll get tested, a lot, for the rest of his career. You have to bet that he's going to do a 180 in order to believe he's going to have a career. He hasn't show any indication that he's interested/able to do that at this point.

Gordon might be the first guy I have ever called a bust for off the field stuff. His talent is thru the roof and his IQ and common sense are in the toilet

No. He was impared based on the laws set forth by the people of North Carolina. That is a crime. The end. His career is in jeopardy. Thankfully he can count on the cowboys to sign him three years from now.

lololololololololololololololololol

::takesbreathe::

is there a case of a guy being suspended for a year who's come back to play at a high level?i don't recall one.

.09 DUI is CRAP!

I could land a space shuttle and perform major surgery at .09
I can drive easily at .09, but won't since I don't want to risk a DUI. I'm sure you can too, but there others that can't. They need to form a level and apply it to all, and I agree that having a stricter limit than more lenient makes sense. This is a different discussion regardless.

Gordon is an idiot.
Yes he is.

And so is Brewtown........

::takesbreathe::

What's the downside? If you're in a dynasty league, target the panicked Gordon owner and see if you can get him for cheap. It's the lowest price you'll ever pay for him.

@SigmundBloom 1mLot of very judgmental people about a 23 year old making typical early 20's mistakes. It's sad and a waste, but he's not a murderer
Not sure where Bloom is coming from here. Nothing about his string of behaviors is typical, especially in light of his circumstances.

Exactly who should be giving him a break? The state of N. Car.? The police officer? I've heard of cops doing exactly that for celebrities and losing their jobs over it.

.09 DUI is CRAP!

I could land a space shuttle and perform major surgery at .09
Awesome dude. Point is its the law. I agree with you but also understand that if I have a couple at the bar and drive, I am LEGALLY flirting with trouble. So the guys is too dumb to realize the life he could have versus the life one more tiny beer might cost him. How you or anyone else operates at 0.08 is irrelevant.
I say having one more beer should not have an impact on the type of life that you should be able to have/live when the limit is .08.If the limit is .08 - then we all need to understand what we are dealing with. A different world when it comes to drunk driving....

Drunk driving will be more like a speeding ticket in this environment....
And he is clearly thinking exactly like you are. It probably shouldn't matter but that is irrelevant. If you can't get why realizing its a problem is a concern, well then I can't help you....
Actually neither one is/was thinking

@SigmundBloom 1m

Per RW, this is what Dqwell Jackson had to say:

Former teammate D'Qwell Jackson tweeted the following Saturday: "If you're close to Josh Gordon please help this kid, it's not about football anymore it's about picking up the pieces of his life."
Obviously this isn't just a young guy sowing the oats. Saying he has a huge problem and is in risk of losing his career and maybe more, and expressing disappointment and shock about that, is not being judgmental.

By lowering the legal limit to .08, might seem foolish to 1 or 2 posters here, but the fact that is has saved lives and reduced accidents caused by drinking and driving, some industrial countries have even lowered the limits to .02. By lowering the limit at least we can all agree, saves lives. Then some might say, why let anyone driving have any alcohol in their system, and I would say, that's a good question.
This is BS!

This doesn't save lives! It wrecks lives of normal/hardworking people who want a couple of beers or glass of wine with dinner.

Go after the .15s driving the wrong way on the freeway... Not the Jimmy/Sally's who are out for dinner....

Boooooooooooo......
Seriously dude, just stop posting.

Exactly who should be giving him a break? The state of N. Car.? The police officer? I've heard of cops doing exactly that for celebrities and losing their jobs over it.
Give him a break so next time he can speed, drive drunk and kill someone? Sure

@SigmundBloom 1mLot of very judgmental people about a 23 year old making typical early 20's mistakes. It's sad and a waste, but he's not a murderer
Not sure where Bloom is coming from here. Nothing about his string of behaviors is typical, especially in light of his circumstances.
I will be extremely surprised if that quote was actually from Bloom. That's a pretty asinine statement.

This should get thrown so far out of court Moss couldn't run under it.

(Pretty good, eh? Snuck in a football joke from 2003.)

I will be extremely surprised if that quote was actually from Bloom. That's a pretty asinine statement.
It was from his official twitter account. I seriously doubt he has surrogates that tweet for him or that it was hacked. And saying that a 23 year old has the maturity of a 23 year old and should be cut a break for his mistakes is not a "pretty asinine statement" IMO.

Probably already posted, but... From ESPN: "WNCN, the NBC affiliate in Raleigh, reported Gordon's blood-alcohol level was .09, and he admitted to having three drinks with vodka. The legal limit in the state of North Carolina is .08." At some point, can't you give the kid a freaking break?
Can you be sure he hasn't been given any breaks before? But, just for argument sake, if this was his first time in trouble with the law, then I would agree with you.
Not sure about breaks, but Baylor suspension, Baylor dismissal, multiple failed drug tests in the NFL, suspension, a longer suspension looming, and in the midst of a long-term suspension he gets caught recklessly speeding, caught in the vehicle of another car with an associate smoking weed, and now a DUI.

But, there will be apologists. People like Bloom will sweep this under the rug and describe it as "typical."

Which is even more reckless and inexcusable when you think about it.

lololololololololololololololololol::takesbreathe::

What's the downside? If you're in a dynasty league, target the panicked Gordon owner and see if you can get him for cheap. It's the lowest price you'll ever pay for him.
if it's a deep league, i can understand doing this, if you're optimistic he's going to come back. but, the downside is obviously not only the player you could've taken with that pick has a higher chance of being in the league next year imo, and as someone mentioned earlier, the roster spot is also a valuable commodity as well.

Give him a break so next time he can speed, drive drunk and kill someone? Sure
This seems to be the sentiment.

is there a case of a guy being suspended for a year who's come back to play at a high level?i don't recall one.
Ricky Williams like comeback is the best you can hope for now

Do you wait until he kills someone?

Users who are viewing this thread