What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (2 Viewers)

So what are the nflpa rules? If he was about to fail a test, as opposed to already failing, and checked in to rehab, what is the process?  Is that a loophole a player could use to avoid a drug test? 

So what are the nflpa rules? If he was about to fail a test, as opposed to already failing, and checked in to rehab, what is the process?  Is that a loophole a player could use to avoid a drug test? 
why can't they test him in rehab?  not allowed?  Seems like a loophole if so

What to do with this guy in keeper leagues?  I had him locked up for three years.

No chance he plays this season?

Anyone else have a weird feeling this is as much about not wanting to return to a crappy Browns situation as it is getting himself straight?

Yes, but it won't work.
Why?  What are the rules if a player checks in to rehab right before a scheduled test? And is there different rules for access to the player for inpatient v outpatient? Just looking to see if someone knows if there is a potential loophole players could try to use to avoid failing a test. 

Thanks FBG's for the heads up email and "wishing him the best."  Now how about some fantasy advice on what to do with him.

I guess it's too early to really say if he's droppable and such?

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is that he failed another test and is proactively doing this. 

However--there is maybe another possibility:

It's possible that maybe he got lazy and didn't do any conditioning during his 4 week suspension and figures it's better for him to get healthy and to buy himself more time to be in ideal shape than it is for him to come back and look like a slob that did nothing but party during the off season.  If he came back looking fat and slow--with no history of rehab--his career would definitely be over.  This might keep his chances of coming back to the NFL slim.  

Dynasty league. Held him since I drafted him as a rookie. Traded him in August for Marvin Jones and a 2nd.

Same league, I own Terrelle Pryor, too. So an added bonus.

FeelsGoodMan

Why?  What are the rules if a player checks in to rehab right before a scheduled test? And is there different rules for access to the player for inpatient v outpatient? Just looking to see if someone knows if there is a potential loophole players could try to use to avoid failing a test. 
Even if it is a "loophole", Goodell will know that's why he did it, just like all of us.

Gordon will be suspended forever and he will have the option to fight it in court for 3 years a la Tom Brady.

Loving the optimistic speculation in this thread.  Can't wait to get the facts so we know what to do with this guy.

We are all in denial....he blazed it up and failed his first test back...

It's possible that maybe he got lazy and didn't do any conditioning during his 4 week suspension and figures it's better for him to get healthy and to buy himself more time to be in ideal shape than it is for him to come back and look like a slob that did nothing but party during the off season.  If he came back looking fat and slow--with no history of rehab--his career would definitely be over.  This might keep his chances of coming back to the NFL slim.  
This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

None.

What a ####### dimwit. Can't keep off the sauce for millions, you ain't ever gonna be able to. 
OK, so this is about where I think the line blurs too greatly between FFB and life. Gosh Gordon is actually doing the right thing here. 

Maybe he had good intentions, or maybe he got popped (or was gonna get popped) for a weekly test. 

But regardless, he checked himself into an inpatient rehab - there's no reason to insult the dude for it. It hurts FFB players, but obviously if he thought rehab was worth more to his life than millions, he's making the correct choice. 

Of course it is also possible that he thinks rehab is a path to millions, if he thought he'd get busted for a positive test. 

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

None.
Nice of you to leave out the sentence above my quote where I clearly wrote that my guess is that he failed another drug test--but that if there was a slim possibility of it being something else--it could have been that.  That was a longshot thought--and you responded as if it was my primary theory.  Wasn't there reports of Gordon being really out of shape when camp started? 

Nice of you to leave out the sentence above my quote where I clearly wrote that my guess is that he failed another drug test--but that if there was a slim possibility of it being something else--it could have been that.  That was a longshot thought--and you responded as if it was my primary theory.  Wasn't there reports of Gordon being really out of shape when camp started? 
I think the theory is he had all preseason to condition, he's been with the team during the suspension, and he went for 80/TD in preseason with starters on the field for both teams.  So shape shouldn't be an issue?

There is zero possibility that your secondary theory makes any sense, at all. 

None.

Happy?

I think the theory is he had all preseason to condition, he's been with the team during the suspension, and he went for 80/TD in preseason with starters on the field for both teams.  So shape shouldn't be an issue?
Again--my theory is that he failed another drug test--and that was just a side thought.  However--isn't it the case that while you are on suspension--you don't get to work out with the team or even work out in the facilities? I might be wrong--but if he let himself go in the off season--then got some working out in during camp to where he had a moment or two in the preseason--but then had 4 weeks on his own again--I wouldn't be shocked if he wasn't disciplined enough to stay in shape or get in better shape.    It's also quite possible that not only did he relapse on drugs--but he also didn't stay in shape. It's not like this secondary theory couldn't be in addition to him failing a drug test.  

Again--my theory is that he failed another drug test--and that was just a side thought.  However--isn't it the case that while you are on suspension--you don't get to work out with the team or even work out in the facilities? I might be wrong--but if he let himself go in the off season--then got some working out in during camp to where he had a moment or two in the preseason--but then had 4 weeks on his own again--I wouldn't be shocked if he wasn't disciplined enough to stay in shape or get in better shape.    It's also quite possible that not only did he relapse on drugs--but he also didn't stay in shape. It's not like this secondary theory couldn't be in addition to him failing a drug test.  
He was allowed with the team and at the facilities.

300lb right tackle Josh Gordon would have a better chance of playing again, than failed/skipped another drug test Josh Gordon.

He was allowed with the team and at the facilities.
Not to change the subject..but then why can't Tom Brady practice with the team?  I read that while he is on suspension he's not even allowed to talk football with any personnel?  Are there different rules for different types of suspensions?

My guess is that he failed another test and is proactively doing this. 

However--there is maybe another possibility:

This is the kind of reasoning that keeps wives in abusive relationships. 

I wasn't stating your theory, I was stating the counter theory that he's not out of shape.  Hence giving some reasoning into why your "out of shape" possibility doesn't really have much weight.

Yep, I wish I owned Pryor right now, and I would SELL SELL SELL. He might be the most overvalued player in fantasy circles at this time
not sure exactly what hes valued at but it should be pretty damn high.  dont see how he doesnt average 5+ catches a game here on out and then throw in some running and passing bonii.  hes easily a top 15 wr going forward.

C'mon Soulfly--let's be real here.  It's not like Gordon is some great dude with drugs being his only issue.  This dude dodged a paternity test for a year until a judge put a warrant out for his arrest a few weeks ago.  He was out there for a year partying with Manziel while a young woman was wondering if the potential father of her child would play a part of that child's life.  The guy doesn't want help--if he wanted it--he would have gotten it in the offseason, or during the 4 week suspension that he was serving---he wouldn't do it now.  Sorry for the rant--it's just frustrating to see how easily people are willing to let themselves fail.  

As a sidenote:  There are two different types of paternity tests--one is a swab test--and the other a blood test. I'm just wondering if maybe his paternity test exposed some sort of drugs in his system.  I want to make clear that this is nothing more than just pure speculation on my part.  

posts like this make me question the future of the human race.  

Loving the optimistic speculation in this thread.  Can't wait to get the facts so we know what to do with this guy.

We are all in denial....he blazed it up and failed his first test back...
uhh, thats wat pretty much everyone in this thread is saying.

Not to change the subject..but then why can't Tom Brady practice with the team?  I read that while he is on suspension he's not even allowed to talk football with any personnel?  Are there different rules for different types of suspensions?
Here is the link to the NFLPA substance abuse policy.  It talks about it on page 21 for when players are allowed access to the facilities.  

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/Player Development/2015 Policy and Program on Substances of Abuse.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread