What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR JuJu Smith-Schuster, NE (2 Viewers)

anything to see here for this year?

Jakobi Meyers 2.0
So not a bad WR5 in a PPR best ball league? 10+ round solid dart?

i don’t do Best Ball so I’m really not the best person to answer that…overall, I would not be in a rush to own any Patriot not named Rhamondre…depending on the size of the roster if I was gonna do a dart throw it would be Douglas…the kid has been the star of their training camp…no idea if it will translate to real games but grab him with one of your last picks and see what he does in the first few games and if he doesn’t produce he is an easy guy to cut when you are picking-up a free agent.

Last edited:
I like him this year. New England is known for that Julian Edelman, Wes Welker role.

My gut says he is going to be a PPR machine and everyone will be slapping their heads. Guy is 26 with no injury history, playing with a noodle arm QB that will check it down a bunch, and very little if any competition for targets.

He's too much of an ego driven, attention whore to pull a Kenny Golladay. At his current price tag, there's not much risk.

I like him this year. New England is known for that Julian Edelman, Wes Welker role.

Those guys both had sick short-area quickness. JuJu does not. He's taller than them by at least three inches and slower. It takes him longer to unwind. He was always an Antonio Brown creation.

I don't like him much this year. I am not seeing a PPR machine.

Those guys both had sick short-area quickness. JuJu does not. He's taller than them by at least three inches and slower. It takes him longer to unwind. He was always an Antonio Brown creation.

I don't like him much this year. I am not seeing a PPR machine.

Makes sense. Could be a blindspot of mine. Appreciate your insight, looks "rocksolid".

I'll see myself out. 😂

If there is a Welker or Edelman coming from NE, IMO, it will be Douglas. Juju should still get plenty of targets, but no one has been able to cover Douglas n camp.

If there is a Welker or Edelman coming from NE, IMO, it will be Douglas

I was typing exactly this but then thought I might be buying a little too much hope and a little too much hype. I figured I'd leave it at the point where I don't see JuJu operating at a high level without an alpha to draw attention like a Brown or a Kelce.

My gut says he is going to be a PPR machine and everyone will be slapping their heads.
I think your second part is possible - he’s still a solid possession guy - but he’s not like those small and quick other guys. He’s 6’1” 215 and looks slower each season he plays.

He was solid in KC but didn’t look that good and put up average numbers overall.

Juju Smith-Schuster caught 4-of-7 passes for 33 yards in the Patriots’ Week 1 loss to the Eagles.

Smith-Schuster fell victim of Mac Jones spreading the ball around evenly. Although it wouldn’t have made a big difference, his stat line would’ve been a tad better if not for a third-down drop in the first half. Starting any Patriots’ receiver right now is scary situation.

- Rotoworld

Drop him for Bourne or wait and see?

What about other waiver wire pickups like Puka, Josh Kelley, etc?

Rather take my chances on Puka. At least you could get decent production until Kupp comes back. I don't see how JJSS gets 8-10 targets in any game this year, has no upside.

I suspect JJSS will have games with 6 or 8 catches, but his lines might be 8-58-0. The Pats signed him thinking they were getting Jakobi Meyers with more speed a little more wiggle, but they ended up with an inferior version of Meyers that struggles to get separation.

NE WR coach Troy Brown mentioned yesterday or today that their WR sets, alignments, and game plan will vary from week-to-week, and this week was not a heavy design scheme for JuJu week. Essentially, Brown is saying the game plan will vary a lot based by opponent, which is what they've done for years. At some point, I think Pop Douglas will overtake JJSS, but who knows if that is in a month, the end of the season, next year, or even later.

Hard to tell people what to do with individual roster decisions. If there is someone that is a clear upgrade, then JJSS probably isn't a huge loss. Harder to tell with guys that might be a temporary fix or guys that had a hot Week 1.

Thanks for the responses guys!

Is JJSS even the WR1 or are we throwing darts at this point?

Draft buzz was he was the clear WR1 and would get the majority of the targets. Week 1 didn’t quite pan out that way. I didn’t watch the game, but saw some of his plays on Red Zone. That drop he had was horrible and his body language was concerning. Bill Belicheck ain’t gonna put up with that for long.

Also heard he got benched?? That would be the most concerning, as they needed their best players on the field on those final drives.

Thanks for the responses guys!

Is JJSS even the WR1 or are we throwing darts at this point?

Draft buzz was he was the clear WR1 and would get the majority of the targets. Week 1 didn’t quite pan out that way. I didn’t watch the game, but saw some of his plays on Red Zone. That drop he had was horrible and his body language was concerning. Bill Belicheck ain’t gonna put up with that for long.

Also heard he got benched?? That would be the most concerning, as they needed their best players on the field on those final drives.
The benching part is what I was referring to with Troy Brown. At the end of the game, JuJu wasn't in the lineup. Brown mentioned that whatever they were running that was working and effective was a package that JJSS wasn't a part of. That's the formation they went with . . . you can call it "benched" if you want, but it sounds like that was what they settled on that was working well.

He struggled to get on the field during training camp and has been slow to recover from a knee injury from last year. The media / beat guys that were at camp all summer indicated he was slow, sluggish, and didn't show any juice (and may not be 100% healthy). He didn't play much (if at all) in the preseason games, so no one really knew what the plan was for him in NE. The three likely mainstays heading into camp were JJSS, Parker, and Bourne with hopes that Thornton would work his way into the mix.

Things got reset as the season started. Bourne ended up being the clear go to guy of the receivers, JJSS didn't show much, Parker was his usual self (some great catches in practice one day mixed in with days where he didn't do much or missed with a nagging injuries), and Thornton got hurt again. Douglas was said to be great in training camp but might not be given a big workload as he's a rookie. Boutte showed enough to stick on the roster.

I think the offense is still finding their way with O'Brien as OC. Mac seems to trust Bourne and looks for him a lot. I'm not sure how much practice time Jones and JuJu had, and maybe they connect more as the season progresses.

Patriots beat writer Andrew Callahan says, “Multiple team sources believe [JuJu] Smith-Schuster is not presently among the team’s five most effective pass-catchers.”

Callahan opens his article by pointing out the Patriots’ decision to sideline Smith-Schuster in the team’s final drive against the Eagles in Week 1. Instead, the team opted to rely on rookies Kayshon Boutte and Demario Douglas, and veteran Kendrick Bourne to move the ball on the game winning drive. Wide receivers coach Ross Douglas said the team opted to go with the players they “thought was best to be able to move the ball and score points.” It’s not exactly a ringing endorsement for Smith-Schuster, who signed a three-year, $25.5 million deal this offseason and is the highest-paid receiver on the team. He still finished third on the team in snaps, and tied for second on the team with seven targets, but an underwhelming four catches for 33 yards was left a lot to be desired. He’ll be hard to trust as anything more than a depth play in Week 2 against the Dolphins.

Patriots beat writer Andrew Callahan says, “Multiple team sources believe [JuJu] Smith-Schuster is not presently among the team’s five most effective pass-catchers.”

Callahan opens his article by pointing out the Patriots’ decision to sideline Smith-Schuster in the team’s final drive against the Eagles in Week 1. Instead, the team opted to rely on rookies Kayshon Boutte and Demario Douglas, and veteran Kendrick Bourne to move the ball on the game winning drive. Wide receivers coach Ross Douglas said the team opted to go with the players they “thought was best to be able to move the ball and score points.” It’s not exactly a ringing endorsement for Smith-Schuster, who signed a three-year, $25.5 million deal this offseason and is the highest-paid receiver on the team. He still finished third on the team in snaps, and tied for second on the team with seven targets, but an underwhelming four catches for 33 yards was left a lot to be desired. He’ll be hard to trust as anything more than a depth play in Week 2 against the Dolphins.
NE WR coach Troy Brown indicated earlier in the week that JJSS was not in this week's two-minute package which was installed for their game against the Eagles. The Patriots were using that to try to move the ball in the latter part of the 4th quarter. Brown was asked that directly in response to a reporter's question on why JuJu wasn't on the field (asking if he had been benched). Brown further explained that they will have different schemes and configurations based on their opponent, and people should not read too much into anything.

JJSS struggled to get back on the field in training camp after his knee injury last year and subsequent rehab. Because of that, he didn't get much practice time with Mac Jones. However, there were plenty of reports that JuJu looked slow, sluggish, couldn't separate, and had no juice. Maybe he's lost a step. Maybe he's still recovering. Maybe he's struggling with the offense. Maybe he'll get better over time and with more practice. Or maybe this is how he'll always be from now on. Lots of maybe's involving JJSS.

I still think Bourne is the WR1 in NE, Parker should man the other side, and JJSS and Douglas will get most of the shorter underneath stuff. The difference between those two is night and day, but BB usually doesn't put too much on a rookie receiver's plate . . .

Deion Branch 43-469-2
Aaron Dobson 37-519-4
Julian Edelman 37-359-1
Kembrell Thompkins 32-466-4
Malcolm Mitchell 32-401-4
Jakobi Meyers 26-359-0
Tyquan Thornton 22-247-2
Bethel Johnson 15-209-2
Chad jackon 13-152-3
N'keal Harry 12-105-2
Josh Boyce 9-121-0
David Givens 9-92-1

To be fair, a lot of those rookies were playing behind a lot more established and effective receivers (who Tom Brady trusted), and this crop of options is not in the Welker / Moss / Edelman category. But overall, rookie receivers in NE have been pretty underwhelming.

At some point, they will try to integrate Thornton into the mix, but he hasn't shown he can stay on the field and is always playing catch up in learning the offense. Some weeks Mike Gesicki will see more looks (he's more of a WR than a TE these days).

Some beat reporters had some pretty lofty projections for Douglas, ranging anywhere from 40-75 receptions. A couple of them thought he could produce at a Jakobi Meyers level.

Anyway, that's how I see things currently in the NE receiver room.

I took a flier on JJSS at the end of the draft. Kinda regretting it. Bourne was scooped off waivers yesterday. Would you rather have JJSS or Parker when he comes back? Parker is available. Or is the whole Pats team a dart throw?

I took a flier on JJSS at the end of the draft. Kinda regretting it. Bourne was scooped off waivers yesterday. Would you rather have JJSS or Parker when he comes back? Parker is available. Or is the whole Pats team a dart throw?
Parker is a bit like a real-life snake. He'll have a big meal one day and not eat again for 2+ months. I'm guessing there may be better free agents out there, but in PPR leagues, Douglas is probably the best option of NE receivers (besides Bourne). JuJu might have a week with 8-58-0, but they have better red zone options than him. Last year, Parker had two weeks with 20+ points (1 PPR), 5 games under 10 points, and 7 weeks with 0 points (out or didn't catch anything). There's still a chance JuJu heals up, learns the offense better, and at least has some volume based fantasy value. But that could be weeks from now.

Last edited:
Bourne went for quite a lot on FFPC waivers last night, including by me. Dolphins this week seems worth chasing those week 1 points IMO. Am curious how much FAAB someone spends on Juju if at all on the next run.

Parker is a bit like a real-life snake. He'll have a big meal one day and not eat again for 2+ months. I'm guessing there may be better free agents out there, but in PPR leagues, Douglas is probably the best option of NE receivers (besides Bourne). JuJu might have a week with 8-58-0, but they have better red zone options than him. Last year, Parker had two weeks with 20+ points (1 PPR), 5 games under 10 points, and 7 weeks with 0 points (out or didn't catch anything). There's still a chance JuJu heals up, learns the offense better, and at least has some volume based fantasy volume. But that could be weeks from now.

Yeah basically sounds like a dart throw for the WR corps in NE lol.

Parker is a bit like a real-life snake. He'll have a big meal one day and not eat again for 2+ months. I'm guessing there may be better free agents out there, but in PPR leagues, Douglas is probably the best option of NE receivers (besides Bourne). JuJu might have a week with 8-58-0, but they have better red zone options than him. Last year, Parker had two weeks with 20+ points (1 PPR), 5 games under 10 points, and 7 weeks with 0 points (out or didn't catch anything). There's still a chance JuJu heals up, learns the offense better, and at least has some volume based fantasy volume. But that could be weeks from now.
Agreed... Picked up Demario Douglas FA today to play the "Wait & See" Game on NEP WR selection.
I have seen more than 1 report that Juju was "sluggish" and that has me looking at a PPR target like Demario.
He has the quick step moves but is still developing the body wiggles like Welker/Edelman had.

Juju is what he is. Bigger slot guy who will get 4-6 catches a week for 50 or so yards and will score 5-6 TDs for the season. He was drafted in most leagues in the 9-10th round. I see him being dropped in a couple leagues and just don't get it. He had 7 targets despite sitting out the last couple drives.

If he's is healthy and with Jones looking pretty good his first game against a good defense, I like Juju as a #4 type WR who you can flex in.

Juju < Bourne?

Nobody seems to believe in Bourne in my league. I could grab him for free now but JuJu would have to go.

I knew better than to mess with. NE WR 😂

Had to start him last week with Watson out. At least it wasn’t a goosegg

Users who are viewing this thread