What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Odell Beckham, Jr., MIA (3 Viewers)

If I am New England, no chance I risk bringing in OBJ knowing that there is a chance that his prima donna attitude could blow up and hinder the development of your young QB. 

If I am New England, no chance I risk bringing in OBJ knowing that there is a chance that his prima donna attitude could blow up and hinder the development of your young QB. 
New England probably wins another title if they had stuck with AB….OBJ is an experienced player that addresses a weak spot.  If he does anything to cause friction, you show him the door.   

I have no concerns about that...they have a history of bringing in this type of player and they either thrive or BB launches them.

Huge difference, IMO, in NE bringing in AB or Moss. They had a vet QB that wasn't going to be affected by their antics. 

I'm not saying OBJ couldn't succeed in NE, but Im not taking the chance that it could all go wrong quickly. 

Huge difference, IMO, in NE bringing in AB or Moss. They had a vet QB that wasn't going to be affected by their antics. 

I'm not saying OBJ couldn't succeed in NE, but Im not taking the chance that it could all go wrong quickly. 
Feels more like a potential Chad Johnson type of situation, which did not succeed. 

I doubt OBJ's rep as being a disruptor would have much of an impact on Jones in NE. BB won't tolerate that. My bigger concerns are OBJ's health and his ability to pick up the playbook. IMO, BB would be looking at OBJ as a longer-term investment vs. a 7-game rental. The Pats offense is very complex and it's not easy to grasp and master in that short a time. They might only offer him a contract through the end of the season, but there would probably be option years attached to it.

I also think Beckham is better off trying to land a big contract now with no other free agents on the market than waiting until the offseason when there will be other options to compete against. The chances aren't great that he looks like a superstar on a new team to close out the season, and that would only serve to reduce his value. He probably won't get a multi-year deal now and will likely get a prove it type deal to try to get his value back up, but that might backfire.

I don't see what the downside is...if he is a distraction he gets launched...on the flipside if BB can get him to play at a high level it would have a chance to change the complexion of this offense because what he could be is a big time need for them and with the way their D is playing and a suddenly more open AFC they could possibly take a run at the AFC...as Anarchy pointed out the bigger concern is integrating him into the offense because that has been an issue with some veterans in the past although they are definitely not as complex now as they were with Brady.

I don't see what the downside is...if he is a distraction he gets launched...on the flipside if BB can get him to play at a high level it would have a chance to change the complexion of this offense because what he could be is a big time need for them and with the way their D is playing and a suddenly more open AFC they could possibly take a run at the AFC...as Anarchy pointed out the bigger concern is integrating him into the offense because that has been an issue with some veterans in the past although they are definitely not as complex now as they were with Brady.
The last part is an interesting debate / discussion. NE has scaled down the playbook for Mac n Cheese (ie they are only running a small percentage of plays in the playbook). But have they made the plays they are running less complicated? I believe they still have hot reads and real time recognition requirements for both Jones and the receivers. That’s how things were with Brady. But I can’t speak to if they thinned out the in play route running options, as that is above my pay grade. 

The last part is an interesting debate / discussion. NE has scaled down the playbook for Mac n Cheese (ie they are only running a small percentage of plays in the playbook). But have they made the plays they are running less complicated? I believe they still have hot reads and real time recognition requirements for both Jones and the receivers. That’s how things were with Brady. But I can’t speak to if they thinned out the in play route running options, as that is above my pay grade. 

I think it just wasn't the complexity but the demand for perfection from Brady that made things difficult for some new WRs...the second he didn't have faith in you it was over and I think that was intimidating...that dynamic will not be in play right now (or at least close to what it was with TB)...now whether that is a good or bad thing is another debate.

Isnt another issue with OBJ is that he likes to freelance?  I thought I read somewhere that’s the reason he and Mayfield weren’t connecting.  If that’s the case, isn’t that an even bigger issue for The New England offense where everything is based on timing and WRs are supposed to be at a specific spot at a specific time?

Dianna Russini

⁦‪@diannaESPN⁩

There are teams who are talking to Odell Beckham Jr. that believe the free-agent wide receiver will wait until the games are complete on Sunday before making his final decision, per league sources.

11/11/21, 10:34 AM

Isnt another issue with OBJ is that he likes to freelance?  I thought I read somewhere that’s the reason he and Mayfield weren’t connecting.  If that’s the case, isn’t that an even bigger issue for The New England offense where everything is based on timing and WRs are supposed to be at a specific spot at a specific time?
Let's try this again (tried posting but  that got wiped out based on a system error).

The precise route running / timing / passing was more a Brady think than a Mac Jones thing. Jones has done a good job tracking where his receivers are headed and throwing the ball to where only his guy can get it (for the most part).

Meyers at this point runs a lot of ad-libbed / freelance routes in that he runs to the open spot and then determines if he needs to stop and sit in a zone, angle away from a defender, or cross to avoid running into coverage. That's probably his main role.

I doubt they would have OBJ do that on intermediate to deeper routes. Nothing worse than a guy cutting off a square out to the sideline to either a slant into the middle or a post route. That's how teams give up pick sixes.

I think BB wants Beckham longer term than just this year, but for that to happen OBJ can't be great and can't be terrible. He needs to show enough that NE wants him back (on a discount) but not enough for other teams to line up to go after him. If NE actually gets him, I would guess Bill will have options or provisions that extend beyond this year. That way they might have a team option for a discounted second year, they can take a minimal cap hit for this year, and they could always opt out and get a compensatory pick for him. It would be a win-win for them with very little risk. That being said, Beckham may have no interest in a deal like that (and might prefer to play with a Pro Bowl QB).

Dianna Russini

⁦‪@diannaESPN⁩

There are teams who are talking to Odell Beckham Jr. that believe the free-agent wide receiver will wait until the games are complete on Sunday before making his final decision, per league sources.

11/11/21, 10:34 AM
Schefter was on TV earlier today indicating he guessed Odell would most likely sign by the weekend, as he would get a game check for this week.

I have seen conflicting information as to whether OBJ has offset language in his contract with CLE. I have seen that he will get $4.5 million plus whatever his new team gives him, and I have seen that he will only get more than that if his new team offers him more than $4.5 million. If he gets the CLE money AND new money, then it makes sense for him to sign before Sunday's games. If not, then it probably doesn't really matter when he signs.

All this seems a little odd, as the money element probably won't change much from offer to offer unless someone wants to give him a multi-year deal. Not sure he will do better than the $4.5 million from CLE to play 6 or 7 games for a new team.

Am I the only one that thinks Belicheat and OBJ is a disaster mix? 

I think Sean Payton is much better suited to keep OBJ in happy without tantrums and get the most out of his skillset. 

I am thankful my Raiders seem to be passing on that drama... we have had more than our fill to last a while.

Interesting after Desean leaves after he couldn’t get targets.

Wondering how this affects Kupp, Woods….or probably Jefferson more?

Interesting after Desean leaves after he couldn’t get targets.

Wondering how this affects Kupp, Woods….or probably Jefferson more?
This hurts all their values.  Not a lot of course, but at the very least there's little to no chance that this helps those other WR's.  Probably just a VERY small downgrade to Kupp, Woods, Jefferson, Higbee.

NBC Sports Edge take:

Rams agreed to terms with WR Odell Beckham. 

There is some conflicting information, but ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Beckham is "expected to be an LA Ram." That is good enough for us. It's amazing for the Rams and a pain in fantasy, as Beckham will now be fighting with Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods for targets, keeping his own outlook volatile while perhaps dimming Kupp's all-world 2021 pace. As for Woods, his WR2 stabilization program is now off track. Even in this more crowded receiver corps, Beckham's WR3 reliability should increase. He is going from a run-first attack to pass-obsessed offense, getting a major upgrade at quarterback, and all in all playing in a more explosive offense than the one he left in Cleveland. That is not to ding Kevin Stefanski's excellent system, but Sean McVay's is where you want to be if you are a wideout. Beckham's arrival returns Van Jefferson to the bottom of the WR5 barrel and probably leaves Tyler Higbee as more of a TE2 than TE1.  

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Nov 11, 2021, 3:50 PM ET

Packers once again look like a team that doesn’t understand they need to go all in.

sad.
Packers made so much more sense.  I think it comes down to a title for him and maybe he just saw the ####show in GB and decided LA would be more stable and a better chance at a title. 

Plus, who would ever pick living in Wisconsin over California as the winter approaches?

No impact to Kupp except frees him up even more likely. Woods probably goes back to a boom/bust guy after finally stringing together some good games again. Jefferson becomes irrelevant for redraft, but he's looking like a nice buy low in dynasty. They can't afford to keep all these guys going forward.

Edit: Oh and Beckham probably becomes boom/bust himself. Must have wanted a shot at a ring over the numbers, can't blame him.

Last edited by a moderator:
No doubt, the rational choice would be to sign with the team with the best QB in the hunt, in need of a 1 or 2. GB definitely fits, but so would Buffalo, and dare I say the raiders? Although LV doesn’t need more drama this year. 
among the best QBs in the hunt but the rest 🤷 

I guess a ring is more important than stats. 

Good move by the Rams. OBJ steps right into that DeSean Jackson role... 2-3 targets/week... catches a long TD every 3-4 weeks... more importantly - he WON"T be playing for GB where it could have made a difference.

Good move by the Rams. OBJ steps right into that DeSean Jackson role... 2-3 targets/week... catches a long TD every 3-4 weeks... more importantly - he WON"T be playing for GB where it could have made a difference.
He runs solid routes and should be used in the short to intermediate passing game. IMO Van Jefferson fills the DJax 9 route role. 

Users who are viewing this thread