What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Stefon Diggs, HOU (2 Viewers)

with 2 G (4 tms) to go only 7 WRs had more targets this week, only 3 WRs had more receptions

on pace for 62-982 in 12 games

with 2 G (4 tms) to go only 7 WRs had more targets this week, only 3 WRs had more receptions

on pace for 62-982 in 12 games
I personally think he's an outstanding receiver. Every game I've watched, he impresses,me more. But between the Vikings propensity to run the ball, and Bridgewater's limitations as a quarterback, I doubt he'll be the fantasy factor he should be unless he gets a change of scenery.

Best case scenario the Vikings realize this guy is good and he's a semi-focal point next year in a Randall Cobb type role. Cobb has struggled to be the #1 without Jordy but he's still a pretty good play. I'd slot him pretty close to that category by now and after what 6 games he's played? For a rookie that's pretty damn good.

I hate that Cobb and Diggs are my best WR's and they're both on my bench while I start Sammy Watkins and Vincent Jackson.

I hate that Cobb and Diggs are my best WR's and they're both on my bench while I start Sammy Watkins and Vincent Jackson.
Why would you bench Cobb? Chasing points?

Field conditions are supposed to be terrible but I would imagine that means a lot of short passes

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you bench Cobb?Chasing points?

Field conditions are supposed to be terrible but I would imagine that means a lot of short passes
How is this a real question?
Am I missing an injury report? 9 targets two games in a row. Watching the games it's not lack of opportunity that's been making Cobb a less than stellar fantasy play. It's drops. And he's not a wr who drops passes historically. So I'd imagine he'd right that ship pretty fast.Watkins hasn't had 9 targets all season. ~5 total fantasy points over the last two weeks. By all means start him over Cobb..... I don't think id even start him over Diggs

Is Atlanta really that tough on WR? In my league the stats say "yes" --they are # 2 in def vs. WR --

However -- the better WR's they have faced have done pretty well -- Week 1 J. Mathews 10-102; Week 2 ODB 7-146-1; Week 4 Hopkins 9-157 and Shorts 6-87-1; Week 7 Wright 4-46-1 (meh) --- the rest of the teams Atl faced really have minimal WR threats : Tenn, Wash, NO, SF -- they did shut down Evans Week 8 --not sure of specifics there --but, I'm curious if Minny's O-Line can protect, if Diggs can get similar stat lines --

Diggs looks great. Situation is not ideal-QB not so hot & running AP. Diggs looks terrific on the few plays he gets to make plays. Seems to be open every time I watch. IMO

Is Atlanta really that tough on WR? In my league the stats say "yes" --they are # 2 in def vs. WR --

However -- the better WR's they have faced have done pretty well -- Week 1 J. Mathews 10-102; Week 2 ODB 7-146-1; Week 4 Hopkins 9-157 and Shorts 6-87-1; Week 7 Wright 4-46-1 (meh) --- the rest of the teams Atl faced really have minimal WR threats : Tenn, Wash, NO, SF -- they did shut down Evans Week 8 --not sure of specifics there --but, I'm curious if Minny's O-Line can protect, if Diggs can get similar stat lines --
Atlanta is allowing the 15th most passing yards on the year.

definition of average

Atlanta is 12 in scoring defense which is pretty good. They have allowed the fewest total yards rushing in the league and are 3rd overall in fewest yards per carry allowed at 3.6

The pass defense is 18th overall in total yards allowed. Only 6 teams have allowed more pass completions. 9 teams have allowed a higher completion percentage than Atlantas 65.5% allowed. They are tied for sixth in interceptions with 12. The Falcons are tied with the Giants for the fewest sacks at 12.

The Vikings have allowed more pressure to their QB than any other team in the league. Pass rush is not the Falcons strength, so these two things should meet somewhere in the middle, the Vikings will hopefully have relatively better pass protection, while the Falcons may generate more pass rush than they normally do.

The strong run defense and relatively weaker pass defense seems like a good combination for Diggs to get more targets and Teddy to possibly have more passing attempts than usual.

The question is how much of Trufant (who has allowed 14 completions for 210 yards on the year :shock: ) Diggs will see. As far as I know Trufant doesn't shadow opposing WRs and is confined to the left side of the field. Also, as far as I know Diggs moves around enough to the point where he shouldn't see Trufant all game. Also, Alford is no slouch either and he's now relatively healthy. Eh, this isn't a good match-up.

The question is how much of Trufant (who has allowed 14 completions for 210 yards on the year :shock: ) Diggs will see. As far as I know Trufant doesn't shadow opposing WRs and is confined to the left side of the field. Also, as far as I know Diggs moves around enough to the point where he shouldn't see Trufant all game. Also, Alford is no slouch either and he's now relatively healthy. Eh, this isn't a good match-up.
Glad you brought that up about Trufant playing LCB. That would put him on Wallace more often than not, I think. Hopefully Biabreakable can confirm, but my impression from the 2nd Lions & last week v. GB Diggs is on the left (e.g., opposite RCB) about 60-80% of the time on passing downs.

Hmmm...

I'm looking for ANY excuse to bench AJ Green. I was thinking I'd switch him with T Benjamin, but I might sneak Diggs in again. Started SD last week (last minute) & had 100% efficiency on my lineup choices (never ever happens.)

Diggs plays mostly on the left. 70% plus of the plays of his have been on the left side of the offense so as BL says going against the RCB.

I haven't watched the Falcons since early on in the season, so maybe I just dont know but I don't have this concern about Trufant that SSD has.

Diggs plays mostly on the left. 70% plus of the plays of his have been on the left side of the offense so as BL says going against the RCB.

I haven't watched the Falcons since early on in the season, so maybe I just dont know but I don't have this concern about Trufant that SSD has.
Trufant has just played extremely well this year but you're correct, I just rewatched Diggs's snaps and he lines up on the left more often than not (at least last week). Still, ATL's secondary has not been even remotely friendly to opposing WRs this year. They've allowed the 3rd least points to WRs in PPR and haven't allowed a WR to eclipse 5 receptions or 70 yards since week 5. They've also only allowed 3 TDs to opposing WRs this season, the 2nd least in the league. One could argue that they haven't exactly faced potent pass offenses over the past month and change but MIN isn't likely to change that trend. I believe in Diggs, obviously, but I have to imagine his ceiling will be capped in this one.

I'm still waiting to hear what WR3 can be counted on for WR1 numbers when your 1 and 2 are hurt/on bye...

I had my 1/2 on bye and I got pretty much what I expected from Diggs minus maybe two catches/20 yards

With the way he can get separation + that fast track, I wanna see what he can do -- fortunately, I locked up playoff spot so can gamble a little --

ATL opposing QBs 2015 (leading WR):

1. Bradford (Matthews 10-102-0)
  2. Eli (OBJ 7-146-1)
  3. Weeden (Beasley 4-49-0)
  4. Mallett/Hoyer (Nuk 8-157-0)
  5. Cousins (Crowder 8-87-0)
  6. Brees (Snead 4-55-0)
  7. Mettenberger (Wright 4-46-1)
  8. Winston (Evans 3-48)
  9. Gabbert (Patton 3-70-0)
  10. bye
  11. Hasselbeck (Moncrief 5-41-0)
I think I figured out the "secret" to the Falcons defensive ranking v. the pass and FFPA to WRs.

Fire the Diggs hype train back up!

Stefon Diggs caught all four of his targets against Atlanta for 31 yards. The Vikings defense kept the Falcons off the score board until the last two minutes of the game and the Vikings held a lead for most of the game.

The Vikings had 70 offensive plays and Diggs was on the field for 54 of them 77% which led all WR in offensive snaps. They ran the ball 39 times to 28 pass attempts. 55.7% run. Kyle Rudolph led the team in targets with 10 (35.7%) only 6 targets went to WR 4 of which were to Diggs. The Vikings targeted RB/FB 9 times (32%) and Ellison had 2 targets giving the TE 42.9% of the limited targets.

They used a lot of 2TE personnel and when going big Charles Johnson is the only WR on the field so that was the 23% of the snaps when Diggs was not on the field.

Unless the Vikings get behind in the score this is likely the game plan moving forward as well, so to play Diggs you need to hope for a game script where the Vikings are playing from behind.

Targets for Diggs in the first four games were 10, 9, 9, 12 in the four games since targets have been 5, 2, 9, 4. The 9 targets came against Green Bay who had a lead on the Vikings for much of the game.

Between the game plan and Bridgewater, they've turned this guy into garbage.
He's exactly where expected him to be. Limited upside due to volume and the tendency of TB (or Norv) to not risk turnovers by throwing into a tight window.

Stefon hasn't changed. He's still a very special talent with phenomenal route running skills. If he stays healthy he'll evolve into a WR1 heavily featured.

I'm holding & starting Weeks 15 & 16. Hopefully the latter will be for the championship and not 3rd Place. I may even start him next week. Strongly considered him this week but came to my senses a few seconds before kickoff & put AJ Green back in.

Pretty good WR for free. Definitely will be targeting him in redraft next year, probably take him a round early. Love the talent. Sub-optimal situation.

I actually like Diggs against the Seahawks this week. They can't run AP all day against them, which they did against the Falcons. They'll need to throw and I can see Diggs beating Cary Williams or Deshawn Shead a few times.

I actually like Diggs against the Seahawks this week. They can't run AP all day against them, which they did against the Falcons. They'll need to throw and I can see Diggs beating Cary Williams or Deshawn Shead a few times.
So what is expected from Sherman in coverage here? He can't possibly cover two "smallish" receivers in back-to-back games :)

Diggs has been compared to A Brown and TB has been compared to Big Ben. Its gonna take a few years for Diggs to develop into a top WR. As long as AP is there both Diggs and Teddy's values are gonna be capped. It took AB until year 4 before he exploded. Be patient peoples.

ADP has been phenomenal this season; running behind a below average line, he's on pace for (rounded) 345-1700-4.9-12. Top 3 season in a career full of great seasons. BUT...on the wrong side of 30, he'll enter next season with 2400 / 12K. That's a lot of wear and tear. Maybe two great seasons and two diminished seasons left? With his work ethic, wouldn't bet against the latter. But I could see the attack becoming more balanced in the next season or two.

Sherman well lock him down
if Sherman is on him then, yeah I change my mind. If Sherman is on Wallace a lot then Diggs could be a good play. They are also traveling East to play the Vikes at home so that has to count for something.

Sherman usually plays LCB and Mike Wallace plays mostly on the right so that would be the likely match up unless Seattle decides that Diggs is such a threat that they need to change their whole defensive scheme so that Sherman can follow Diggs wherever he goes (mostly plays on the left side) I see the Vikings being able to choose their match ups.

Like most teams Sherman is most likely ####ting bricks about how often the cornerback is the only guy who can make the play on Peterson with a full head of steam. That is what they will be worried about, not Diggs.

Diggs has been compared to A Brown and TB has been compared to Big Ben. Its gonna take a few years for Diggs to develop into a top WR. As long as AP is there both Diggs and Teddy's values are gonna be capped. It took AB until year 4 before he exploded. Be patient peoples.
In what world is TB compared to Big Ben?

In what world is TB compared to Big Ben?
Chill! Others have compared him to a younger Ben. Ben now is obv different from year two Ben.

I've sure never heard him compared to Big Ben
A quick google search found "No experts recommend Teddy Bridgewater over Ben Roethlisberger" which is technically a comparison.

I could also say "Bridgewater is shorter than Ben and has less NFL experience."

Sherman usually plays LCB and Mike Wallace plays mostly on the right so that would be the likely match up unless Seattle decides that Diggs is such a threat that they need to change their whole defensive scheme so that Sherman can follow Diggs wherever he goes (mostly plays on the left side) I see the Vikings being able to choose their match ups.

Like most teams Sherman is most likely ####ting bricks about how often the cornerback is the only guy who can make the play on Peterson with a full head of steam. That is what they will be worried about, not Diggs.
Sherman used to play only 1 side, but with a lack of a reliable corner opposite of him he's been moving around all year. He shadowed Brown all day and locked him down.

They handled AP fine last time they played (21 carries for 65yds) buuuuut that was the SB winning team and the D isn't clicking like that this year.

If they are moving Sherman around then that means they are playing more man to man.

That is why Norv almost always has someone going in motion before the snap. If defenders follow Vikings players in man coverage the motion can be used to open up additional gaps in the run defense.

Users who are viewing this thread