What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Terry McLaurin, WAS (2 Viewers)

Dotson and TMc went back-to-back in that order early Round 8 of my 12 team PPR. I passed on both in that round for Gibson. I am a huge fan of McLaurin, and was looking for Flex players there, but have a hard and fast rule against ****ing with the dreaded turf toe. Seen way too many fantasy season's destroyed by that particular injury.
It would be nice if we kept a record of times that it didnt. As I think we do have selective memory here of all the times it has while likely forgetting the ones it didnt.

Dotson and TMc went back-to-back in that order early Round 8 of my 12 team PPR. I passed on both in that round for Gibson. I am a huge fan of McLaurin, and was looking for Flex players there, but have a hard and fast rule against ****ing with the dreaded turf toe. Seen way too many fantasy season's destroyed by that particular injury.
It would be nice if we kept a record of times that it didnt. As I think we do have selective memory here of all the times it has while likely forgetting the ones it didnt.
exactly. People only remember the ones that did.

exactly. People only remember the ones that did.
There have definitely been quite a few that did linger and hamper the player most or all of the season even when they were able to play through it.

But yeah the ones that didnt we are just like hes good and forgot they had turf toe.

the ones that didnt we are just like hes good and forgot they had turf toe

Let's name a few.

The only one I can recall is Devante Adams, but that was after he tried to play on it for a couple weeks, then decided to shut it down for like 4 or 5 to get right, which he sort of did. Problem, IIRC, is that no other players (with more than minor turf toe) did exactly that - shut it down for the proper amount of time.

CBS Sports’ Jonathan Jones reports the Commanders are “optimistic” Terry McLaurin (toe) will play in Week 1 against the Cardinals.
Jones said McLaurin, who injured his toe two weeks ago during a preseason game, “responded well to work on the field so far with a few days of practice remaining” before Washington takes on the Cardinals at home. McLaurin drafters should monitor his Thursday and Friday practice participation and make sure he’s active for Sunday’s contest. His absence would be a knock to Sam Howell’s prospects, and would boost Jahan Dotson into WR2 territory against a poor Arizona coverage unit.

Just read he's dressed and on the field at practice today but hasn't done any running/routes.
McLaurin was in pads for practice both Wednesday and Thursday. Wednesday he was limited but Thursday he was a full participant in practice, no limitations. https://www.commanders.com/news/commanders-cardinals-week-1-injury-report

Some local beat guys posted videos from practice...he sure looked like he could run and cut pretty well to me. He has also told local media that he wants to play. IMO, there is a very, very high probability that he suits up on Sunday.

Not sure what this means from a fantasy perspective. I mean, I don't think you'll get a goose egg from putting him in your lineup. But would the Commanders rest him late if they had a lead vs. the Cardinals, who don't seem to be interested in winning any games this year? So maybe if there is a guy you have that is the same exact level, that's a tiebreaker...just don't know.

But, people in D.C. area seem to be pretty certain he's gonna play.

Have a few tough decisions, but thinking about benching him for Pickens, Aiyuk, and Gibson in 3 different PPR leagues. I do believe he's going to play for sure from everything I've read

Have a few tough decisions, but thinking about benching him for Pickens, Aiyuk, and Gibson in 3 different PPR leagues. I do believe he's going to play for sure from everything I've read
I don't even have great options to replace him in my one dynasty league - but will surely play Doubs or Flowers over him this week until I see that the toe is not slowing him down. I think he's a risky start this week - could just be a decoy situation.

the ones that didnt we are just like hes good and forgot they had turf toe

Let's name a few.

The only one I can recall is Devante Adams, but that was after he tried to play on it for a couple weeks, then decided to shut it down for like 4 or 5 to get right, which he sort of did. Problem, IIRC, is that no other players (with more than minor turf toe) did exactly that - shut it down for the proper amount of time.
Yeah sorry my memory banks have completely cleared this from my recollection.

I do recall a few who played through the injury the whole season but had down years relative to other seasons performance and some that we were reminded about having this injury during the offseason as speculation for why they didnt perform as well the previous year, or might to better in the upcoming season.

No specific names come to mind though.

I suppose a google search might help find some names but I dont think I am going to bother with that.

Such a search might find some names where the injury was speculated on but the player turned out to be fine and this became a non story as well. That would be more difficult to sort through.

I decided I was curious enough and I did a quick search.

I found a few alarming ones.

Michael Thomas and Julio Jones.

I also found out Justin Jefferson had this injury last year. That might explain a couple of his down games. Not sure if the timing of that lines up or not, but obviously Jefferson was fine even though he had this injury.

There are different severities of this injury and where the player is at in their career, it might affect them differently.

Michael Thomas for example does not seem like the same player since this injury, although there may be other reasons for that than this.

Julio Jones had it near the end of his career.

Jefferson is a younger player and while maybe it affected him, it didnt affect him for very long.

Last edited:
Hard to keep this guy on the bench going into this game with the Cards despite the potential game script. He's going to want to establish rapport with Howell and this franchise wants to give the fan base a spark as they come out of the dark ages with Snyder. I'm excited to see EB's game plan. Outside of Kelce he hasn't coached an elite receiver since Tyreek. No doubt he knows what he's got here and if Terry clicks with Howell, watch out.

What people are forgetting is that Mclaurin was the GUY in that preseason game before he got hurt. Had like 3-44 early while Dotson had 0-0.

Not saying its going to be like that all year but I think TM17 is going to have a really really good year. He can win 1 on 1, wins at catch point, has a QB who can and will sling, and FINALLY has an OC that can get guys open.

There are different severities of this injury

This is the most critical data point that we do not yet have.

Second most critical is how long a player rests in order to allow the joint to heal, as historically many (most?) have come back too early. But this second point is also a direct function of the first.

Too early to tell, but as a fan of TMc, I hope his strain was of the low grade variety and he has a Jefferson-like outcome.

Terry McLaurin caught 2-of-4 targets for 31 yards in the Commanders’ Week 1 win over the Cardinals.

A disappointing statline on an afternoon where Sam Howell wasn’t exactly lighting the world on fire with his passing, but McLaurin was on the field for his usual number of routes despite battling through a toe issue the past few weeks. It is to be determined how big of a help or hindrance Howell is going to be, but it would be safer to call McLaurin a WR3 than WR2 for Week 2 against the Broncos as Washington readies for Denver’s Patrick Surtain-keyed coverage.

- Rotoworld

I will bet you anything Denny Carter wrote this: :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
Terry McLaurin caught 4-of-5 targets for 49 yards in the Commanders’ Week 5 loss to the Bears.

The Commanders fell behind 17-0 45 seconds into the second quarter and 27-3 at halftime. That should equal a targets bonanza for McLaurin and Jahan Dotson, right? Wrong. Oh so wrong. McLaurin and Dotson somehow combined for just 10 of Sam Howell’s 51 attempts, with the first-year starter going bonkers for Logan Thomas, Dyami Brown, Byron Pringle and so many more random people. It was bizarre, baffling, inexplicable, whatever word you like. Howell was having trouble pushing the ball down the field, and admittedly found success in the short-to-intermediate areas. That still should have meant more looks for McLaurin and Dotson. Having exceeded six targets in only 1-of-5 appearances, McLaurin is shaping up to be a low-floor WR3 this season.

- Rotoworld

I got tired of waiting for this guy to explode last year and finally dealt him because I needed immediate RB help. Terry might never have a QB or coach that will get him the ball. Maybe that's on Terry?

I doubt it is, but we have to consider the possibility at least.

*sighs*

He's good, too, IMO.

I got tired of waiting for this guy to explode last year and finally dealt him because I needed immediate RB help. Terry might never have a QB or coach that will get him the ball. Maybe that's on Terry?

*sighs*

He's good, too, IMO.
I agree 100% so far his career has been a bit disappointing. I was hoping Howell would finally let us see him put up consistent stats. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to be happening and I can’t understand why… game script adds up Howell slings it and keeps plays alive here and there… oline is a killer but it should be leading to more pass attempts. Shrug…

*sighs*

He's good, too, IMO.
It’s sad. Would have been nice to see him maybe demand a trade and get moved to somewhere like the Chargers or Chiefs or heck even Titans to replace Brown would have probably been an upgrade.

Not a trade but did a SF Dynasty startup and took Terry at 8.7 pick (next few WRs taken after Terry were Evans, Kirk, and K. Allen) Pretty good value for a guy that has averaged 1000+ yards all 5 years in the league and 5 TDs a year with HORRIBLE QB play.

Users who are viewing this thread