What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WSL 2 Draft Commentary (2 Viewers)

Honestly I feel I am pretty strong in a 1-2-3-1-1-1 weekly format. Weakness is definitely WR4-WR6 and backup QB/PK/DST. But I can live with that, or hopefully at least survive.
I like this team. No obvious stud @ RB, but solid depth everywhere but QB. I can only imagine your feelings when you realized you were getting stuck with Sanchez as QB2... :( :no: :hot: :rant: :cry: :bag:
yeah...when you take a "stud" early....you should be pretty much committing to not taking another one for awhile or it kind of defeats the purpose/value....thats the game you decide to play I guess...although one could say you should back em up sooner to "protect the value", meaning you get somebody that can adequately cover his duds so you continue to reap the rewards of their "big" games throughout the year...just really couldn't see pulling the trigger on those guys that went in the 6th and 7th...had I taken Vick in the 8th, which I probably should of (seems crazy he was still available)...I could have had Turner/Tate/Powell/P. Thomas or something....hopefully the McGahee/Sanchez dynamic duo makes it a non issue...since we are almost done, I will also say that I considered taking a flyer on Mallet instead of the Weeden/Gabbert/Sanchez/Cassel group that I knew I would be looking at.....in the end....it appears right now, that Sanchez could still be the starter so he got the nod....Henne, etc scare me in JAC...think there are some teams that might make NE an offer for Mallet when the dust settles on this non spectacular QB class...

I dont mind the Sanchez pick. He was QB9 in 2011 in my home league so I am sure was close to that hear and he will start. Good pickI like your team overall. Dont know if I like the Gonzo risk with the solid team you have but he could be you winning it all and I guess worth the risk. Taken something there and gotten a Te like zach Miller later would have looked pretty good alsoOne of the teams that I dont mind that have been posted

If you have a stud QB, as long as you get a clear starting QB as your #2, then who cares if it's Sanchez or some other schlub? Even Sanchez will have a decent week or three, and you never know when it is the weeks that keep your bacon our of the fire!

I refrained from making comments about my team during the draft, but now that its done I'll lay out my thoughts.6.12 QB - M. Schaub. Texans7.05 QB - C. Palmer, Raiders19.05 QB - B. Weeden, BrownsI didn't get 1 of the top 3 guys, so I waited on the position as long as I could. Schaub is a safe play as long as he stays on the field. Palmer actually puts up decent fantasy points, but his team stinks & he could get replaced in a youth movement. There is an injury concern with him also. I went with 3 QBs because of injury concerns for the previous 2 & thought Weeden presented to much value to pass him up. The new coach in town said he'd have to compete for the starting job, but I expect him to win it easy. 1.05 RB - R. Rice, Ravens5.05 RB - R. Matthews, Chargers10.12 RB - D. Thomas, Dolphins13.05 RB - D. Woodhead, PatriotsEven with the Ravens being insistent on giving the ball to everyone but Ray Rice, there's no way I was going to let him pass 1.05. Who knows what I'm getting from Matthews. I can only hope for an injury free season & a coach that knows how to use him. I went with Daniel Thomas earlier than anyone else in the WSLs because I don't think Miller is going to be able to shoulder more than 50% of the RB touches. That leaves a good chunk for Thomas. There were bigger boom/bust opportunities available when I took Woodhead, but I wanted someone @ RB4 would likely get decent amount of touches each week.2.12 WR - R. White, Falcons3.05 WR - J. Nelson, Packers4.12 WR - D. Bowe, Chiefs 11.05 WR - M. Floyd, Chargers12.12 WR - N. Washington, Titans20.12 WR - D. Johnson, EaglesI really like my WR corp. Julio will continue to take the top of Ds & Roddy will make a killing on short & intermediate routes. Plus Gonzalez's targets have to somewhere & I think Roddy is the best candidate to pick up alot of those targets. Nelson will produce some silly stat games when he's healthy. I'll take 10 - 12 weeks of his stats as a base & hopefully he'll stay on the field all season & put up career #s. I'm guessing Bowe stays in KC & Reid uses him like T.O. in his Eagles heyday. Floyd represented great value to me where he's getting picked. Gates is slowing down & there isn't a lot of competion at WR in San Diego. I could probably pencil Nate in for 50/750/5 right now & not be off by much. Pretty solid for a WR5. Damarius Johnson is electrifying with the ball in his hands. I expect Chip Kelly to recognize this a work him into the gameplan out of the slot. 8.12 TE - H. Miller, Steelers9.05 TE - J. Tamme, Broncos18.12 TE - C. Clay, DolphinsSome serious question marks at TE, but if my 1st 2 guys can get healthy, I'll like their production. I was targeting Charles Clay for the late rounds of this draft because I really like his situation. Fasano is a FA & likely won't be back. Tannehill needs another outlet valve for dump offs now that Bush is/will be out of the picture & Clay can get upfield too. 16.12 K - S. Suisham, Steelers17.05 K - R. Succop, ChiefsI got 214.12 D/ST - Miami15.05 D/ST - Tampa BayI got 2Well that's that. It's not a great team, but I'm satisfied.

I refrained from making comments about my team during the draft, but now that its done I'll lay out my thoughts.6.12 QB - M. Schaub. Texans7.05 QB - C. Palmer, Raiders19.05 QB - B. Weeden, BrownsI didn't get 1 of the top 3 guys, so I waited on the position as long as I could. Schaub is a safe play as long as he stays on the field. Palmer actually puts up decent fantasy points, but his team stinks & he could get replaced in a youth movement. There is an injury concern with him also. I went with 3 QBs because of injury concerns for the previous 2 & thought Weeden presented to much value to pass him up. The new coach in town said he'd have to compete for the starting job, but I expect him to win it easy. 1.05 RB - R. Rice, Ravens5.05 RB - R. Matthews, Chargers10.12 RB - D. Thomas, Dolphins13.05 RB - D. Woodhead, PatriotsEven with the Ravens being insistent on giving the ball to everyone but Ray Rice, there's no way I was going to let him pass 1.05. Who knows what I'm getting from Matthews. I can only hope for an injury free season & a coach that knows how to use him. I went with Daniel Thomas earlier than anyone else in the WSLs because I don't think Miller is going to be able to shoulder more than 50% of the RB touches. That leaves a good chunk for Thomas. There were bigger boom/bust opportunities available when I took Woodhead, but I wanted someone @ RB4 would likely get decent amount of touches each week.2.12 WR - R. White, Falcons3.05 WR - J. Nelson, Packers4.12 WR - D. Bowe, Chiefs 11.05 WR - M. Floyd, Chargers12.12 WR - N. Washington, Titans20.12 WR - D. Johnson, EaglesI really like my WR corp. Julio will continue to take the top of Ds & Roddy will make a killing on short & intermediate routes. Plus Gonzalez's targets have to somewhere & I think Roddy is the best candidate to pick up alot of those targets. Nelson will produce some silly stat games when he's healthy. I'll take 10 - 12 weeks of his stats as a base & hopefully he'll stay on the field all season & put up career #s. I'm guessing Bowe stays in KC & Reid uses him like T.O. in his Eagles heyday. Floyd represented great value to me where he's getting picked. Gates is slowing down & there isn't a lot of competion at WR in San Diego. I could probably pencil Nate in for 50/750/5 right now & not be off by much. Pretty solid for a WR5. Damarius Johnson is electrifying with the ball in his hands. I expect Chip Kelly to recognize this a work him into the gameplan out of the slot. 8.12 TE - H. Miller, Steelers9.05 TE - J. Tamme, Broncos18.12 TE - C. Clay, DolphinsSome serious question marks at TE, but if my 1st 2 guys can get healthy, I'll like their production. I was targeting Charles Clay for the late rounds of this draft because I really like his situation. Fasano is a FA & likely won't be back. Tannehill needs another outlet valve for dump offs now that Bush is/will be out of the picture & Clay can get upfield too. 16.12 K - S. Suisham, Steelers17.05 K - R. Succop, ChiefsI got 214.12 D/ST - Miami15.05 D/ST - Tampa BayI got 2Well that's that. It's not a great team, but I'm satisfied.
really like your WR's....you commented about White getting some of Gonzo's targets....is it really possible for White to get any more targets...?..heck it seems like he practically leads the league in that category every year as it is.....lol...not just because I drafted him here, but I got a feeling Gonzo comes back....the only thing he is missing is a ring...ATL is close to being there....

3.07 Matthew Stafford QB8 Det7.07 Jake Locker QB23 TennI figure I got a top 5 qb in Stafford and then teamed him up with up and coming Locker, who may out score him some weeks where he gets bonus rushing yards. Before his injury Locker was putting up some decent stats. I was figuring on teaming him up with Nate Washington... but alas, you guys drove early and often on the WRs.1.07 CJ Spiller RB7 Buf4.10 Jacquizz Rodgers RB21 Atl5.07 Vick Ballard RB23 Ind10.10 Ben Tate RB46 HouDefinitely a matter of taste for my RBs. I was targeting Wilson NYG, but got caught by the Bradshaw news increasing his value right around when I was going to pick him. I like Spiller to be the main back in Buf. this coming year and feel Rodgers will get more catches with Gonzo retiring akin to Darren Sproles. In retrospec, with how far Rodgers fell in the other leagues, I jumped too soon on him and would have been better off with a different RB in round 4. Ballard I figure will be the main guy in Indy, so should be stable points to cover lulls in Spiller/Rodgers production. As for Tate, I really like him to come back healthy this year and be the one-two punch with Foster in Houston. He has had some big games in the past sharing time and is capable of carrying the load if Foster gets dinged. I really debated going Tim Hightower with my last pick... but figured my WRs needed one more guy.8.10 Sidney Rice WR47 Sea12.10 Davone Bess WR65 Mia13.07 Nate Burleson WR68 Det14.10 Joseph Morgan WR73 NO18.10 Leonard Hankerson WR84 Wash19.07 TJ Graham WR89 Buf20.10 Steve Breaston WR100 KCA motley crew at best. I went into the draft with plans on target the boom-bust weekly scorers along with some possession types. I was hoping to grab Nate Washington, Jacoby Jones, Rod Streater, Stephen Hill, Alshon Jeffrey, Vincent Brown, Mohammad Sanu... but the draft didn't fall as I figured it might. I was also planning on getting some matched pairs, like Rice & Tate for Sea or Sanu & Hawkins from Cin to try and get one scoring WR each week from two. That didn't happen either. So I had to go prospecting a lot more. Rice, Bess and Burleson should get me a few points each week I figure with some bigger scoring weeks. The rest of the WRs are more touch and go. They all have situations where that could come into bigger roles in their offenses, but they could also turn into 0s.2.10 Jason Witten TE4 Dal6.10 Owen Daniels TE6 HouSince I saw my WRs going south, I figured to start getting an advantage in other positions on the rest of the teams. With the survivor format, I figured hurting my opponents could cause them to post more 0 positions and thus off set my lack in WR pts to get me to survive to another week. I debated a 3rd TE in Cameron Clev or Clay Mia, but decided I had to just roll with two top guys and put another WR into my crap shoot each week there instead. It was unfortunate that TE's just sat and sat and sat, so I could have had a very solid 2nd/3rd tier guy a number of rounds later. I wasn't figuring that would have been the case, as other teams jumped into TE, but you all kept going WR.. WR... WR! 15.07 Matt Prater K4 Den16.10 Connor Barth K14 TB17.07 Josh Scobee K24 JckPKs looks like a trouble to pick this early. I feel I got a couple top PKs with Prater or Barth, and decided to add a 3rd when Scobee was one of the last sure starting PKs left on the board. This also tied in with my opponent denial strategy I gravitated toward due to my WR situation. Holding 3 PKs would hurt some teams more than having a random extra WR on my team I figured. Guess time will tell come September.9.07 Denver Broncos DST111.07 Seattle Seahawks DST2 I misjudged the start of the Defenses... attempting to start up a run at the 9-10 turn... it didn't happened, and then didn't happen at the other end 10-11 turn, so I figured what the heck, they will start coming off the board in the 11-12 turn, so I'll just grab the next best Def. I am figuring on 2013. I like Denver's weak schedule to put up some decent points and Seattle's new Def. Coordinator should get the weakest part of their defense (D-Line) back into gear. So between the two I'm hoping to get 10-20 pts/week and hopefully that will show up in 5-15pts+ more than some other teams with just 1 defense or two sub-par defenses that fail to score more than a handful of points in a week.Overall, my first winter league, so I did have a few mistakes in judgement on the flow of the draft, but I still figure I came out with a unique team that should survive a few weeks into the season. I was also going to take a flyer on Titus Young when news broke he signed with St.Louis, but missed my chance and now that he was already cut, I guess I might have lucked out some there.I was also surprised by the amount of rookies being picked. I guess it's no different a lottery pick than my WR's down the stretch. I just haven't thought about them much yet... guess that is another pre-Winter league task in the future to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
really like your WR's....you commented about White getting some of Gonzo's targets....is it really possible for White to get any more targets...?..heck it seems like he practically leads the league in that category every year as it is.....lol...not just because I drafted him here, but I got a feeling Gonzo comes back....the only thing he is missing is a ring...ATL is close to being there....
I think Suisham is not guaranteed a starting PK job for one. He is shaky at best with the rookie PK`s coming in and so many guys out there not having jobs that seem capableI personally think Atlanta drafts Eifert or Ertz at the end of round 1 if either is still available. Gonzo will have to make his mind up before draft and I really dont think he comes back. Too many good teams in the NFC to think they are that close. Giants, Packers, Niners, Seahawks are all tough and you could list more. I think he stays retired as he played probably 2 more seasons that he expected too in trying to win but Ryan wont get it done.

I think Suisham is not guaranteed a starting PK job for one. He is shaky at best with the rookie PK`s coming in and so many guys out there not having jobs that seem capable
Suisham made 90.3% of his field goals (28 of 31). That was 8th best in the NFL. Two of the Ks with better percentages (Forbath & Brown) attempted about half as many FGs as Suisham. I think his job is secure. If not with the Steelers then with someone else.

6.7 Jay Cutler7.10 Ryan Tannehill2.7 Demarco Murray8.7 Shane Vereen9.10 Pierre Thomas10.7 Daryl Richardson12.7 DuJuan Harris16.7 Mike Tolbert3.10 Victor Cruz4.7 Pierre Garcon5.10 TY Hilton11.10 Vincent Brown13.10 Marvin Jones14.7 Josh Morgan20.10 Jason Avant1.10 Rob Gronkowski19.7 Jordan Cameron15.10 PHI D18.10 BUF D17.7 Jay Feely
QB - somewhat minimal here - cutler could be helped by trestman & tannehill should improve in addition to having a nice trend of good rushing stats down the stretch. Need other positions to pick me up, but this won't sink me.RB - Wish I had a more durable RB1 and a real RB2, but like at QB, I expect this group to at least keep me afloat, if not surprise. Vereen and Richardson could be in for a larger roles, Thomas and Tolbert will get their share of receptions (and Tolbert TDs), and Harris has a shot to get significant work in Green Bay. Not a strength, but only spent 1 of first 7 picks here.WR - Lots of eggs in this basket. Cruz, Garcon, and Hilton are my trio that I hope to give me at least 5-7 top 10 weeks each at the position. All of them are outstanding deep threats, and I'm expecting some 60+ pt weeks from this trio. I love my support here if Hilton or Garcon get hurt. Brown and Jones are young and on the rise, Morgan should start and give me a little Garcon injury insurance, and Avant seems to find a way to catch 50 balls every year.TE - Obviously I need 16 games from Gronk. Cameron was a shot in the dark assuming the Browns don't bring Watson back. I got stung in one SL for not backing up Gronk last year, so at least a chance to rectify that here.K - I'm fine with one durable entrenched PKD/ST - waiting as long as possible, I'm happy with PHI, who should play in some fast-paced games, and BUF, who has some good playmakers on the DL and in the secondary.I'm not thrilled with this team, and should have gone QB over Hilton in round 5, but if Murray & Gronk stay healthy and I can get an RB hit, I think I can last.

Last edited by a moderator:
2.09 T.Brady NE18.09 D.Dixon PHIL3.08 D.Sproles NO8.09 G.Bernard ROOK15.08 P.Hillis FA17.08 C.Benson FA4.09 R.Wayne IND5.08 J.Blackmon JAX6.09 J.Jones GB7.08 M.Williams TB9.09 S.Holmes NYJ11.08 K.Allen FA19.08 S.Moss WASH20.09 AJ.Jenkins SF1.08 J.Graham NO10.09 F.Davis WASH13.08 S.Grokowski NE16.09 S.Graham CIN12.09 NewEngland14.09 Tennessee

Self AnalysisAs I scored the 2012 leagues, by default I got a lot longer look at all of the teams than I usually took in the past. From the early exits to the champs, I've studied almost every roster. Who went where. Who snagged big value late. Hopefully this all adds up to a stronger run for me in 2013. I think this roster represents a solid first step.2.09 T.Brady NE18.09 D.Dixon PHILOnce I landed the stud QB, I circled Dixon as my super late round sleeper and rolled on. I love it when a plan comes together. Can Dennis Dixon win the starting job in Philly? As the only QB in the league with experience in the Chip Kelly O, I think he has a solid shot. Oh, and I've heard my starter is pretty good. He's got the GQ style and a hot underwear model for a wife. How can I loose? 3.08 D.Sproles NO8.09 G.Bernard ROOK15.08 P.Hillis FA17.08 C.Benson FAI wasn't a fan of Sproles in the past, but after 2 solid 80+ catch seasons in the big easy, I'm converted. He's PPR money. Now to the RB2BC group. Targeted Miller, but Twilite snagged him on me. Turned to the top draft prospects where Bernard seems graded well enough to contribute next year. Hillis is a gut feeling that seemed a solid risk in the 15th. Benson looked good in GB when healthy, and he should also get a shot with someone in 2013.4.09 R.Wayne IND5.08 J.Blackmon JAX6.09 J.Jones GB7.08 M.Williams TB9.09 S.Holmes NYJ11.08 K.Allen FA19.08 S.Moss WASH20.09 AJ.Jenkins SFTalk about value shopping. I didn't touch the position until round 4, yet I still have 3 of last year's top 20 (one from the top 10)! I expect Blackmon to go top 20 this year. Sprinkle in a top prospect in Allen and a recovered Santonio and this group should post big each week. Santana is gravy. Was after Avery in the 20th, but Bloom snipped him. Couldn't find a plan B - Jenkins should have been a RB.1.08 J.Graham NO10.09 F.Davis WASHGraham rules and a healthy Davis in the 10th is rediculous value. 13.08 S.Grokowski NE16.09 S.Graham HOU12.09 NewEngland14.09 TennesseeI think I was 5th to take a team D. I think we all know that is HUGE progress for me!

Self AnalysisAs I scored the 2012 leagues, by default I got a lot longer look at all of the teams than I usually took in the past. From the early exits to the champs, I've studied almost every roster. Who went where. Who snagged big value late. Hopefully this all adds up to a stronger run for me in 2013. I think this roster represents a solid first step.2.09 T.Brady NE18.09 D.Dixon PHILOnce I landed the stud QB, I circled Dixon as my super late round sleeper and rolled on. I love it when a plan comes together. Can Dennis Dixon win the starting job in Philly? As the only QB in the league with experience in the Chip Kelly O, I think he has a solid shot. Oh, and I've heard my starter is pretty good. He's got the GQ style and a hot underwear model for a wife. How can I loose? 3.08 D.Sproles NO8.09 G.Bernard ROOK15.08 P.Hillis FA17.08 C.Benson FAI wasn't a fan of Sproles in the past, but after 2 solid 80+ catch seasons in the big easy, I'm converted. He's PPR money. Now to the RB2BC group. Targeted Miller, but Twilite snagged him on me. Turned to the top draft prospects where Bernard seems graded well enough to contribute next year. Hillis is a gut feeling that seemed a solid risk in the 15th. Benson looked good in GB when healthy, and he should also get a shot with someone in 2013.4.09 R.Wayne IND5.08 J.Blackmon JAX6.09 J.Jones GB7.08 M.Williams TB9.09 S.Holmes NYJ11.08 K.Allen FA19.08 S.Moss WASH20.09 AJ.Jenkins SFTalk about value shopping. I didn't touch the position until round 4, yet I still have 3 of last year's top 20 (one from the top 10)! I expect Blackmon to go top 20 this year. Sprinkle in a top prospect in Allen and a recovered Santonio and this group should post big each week. Santana is gravy. Was after Avery in the 20th, but Bloom snipped him. Couldn't find a plan B - Jenkins should have been a RB.1.08 J.Graham NO10.09 F.Davis WASHGraham rules and a healthy Davis in the 10th is rediculous value. 13.08 S.Grokowski NE16.09 S.Graham HOU12.09 NewEngland14.09 TennesseeI think I was 5th to take a team D. I think we all know that is HUGE progress for me!
Love your collection of WRs. Not crazy about your RBs and lack of depth at that position. Solid K and DST. After Brady, you don't need much. But if he gets hurt/has a lackluster game, you're in trouble.

[SIZE=10.5pt] :penalty: [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]After Further Review: (since the draft or in some cases while draft was going on)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]STINKIN REF:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]2.03 Aaron Rodgers QB1 GB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]20.03 Mark Sanchez QB35 NYJ[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]3.14 Steven Jackson RB19 ATL[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]5.14 David Wilson RB26 NYG[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]8.03 Willis McGahee RB32 FA[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]10.03 Andre Brown RB44 NYG[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]13.13 Michael Bush RB63 CHI[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]1.14 Julio Jones WR3 ATL[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]4.03 Eric Decker WR17 DEN[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]6.03 DeSean Jackson W35R PHI[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]14.03 Darrius Heyward-Bey WR71 IND[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]15.14 Jacoby Jones WR76 BAL[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]19.14 David Nelson WR94 CLE[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]7.14 Jermichael Finley TE12 GB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]9.14 Tony Gonzalez TE21[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]11.14 Dwayne Allen TE27 IND[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]16.03 Lawrence Tynes PK10 FA[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]17.14 Rian Lindell PK29 BUF[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]12.03 CHI DST4[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]18.03 IND DS29 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Steven Jackson signed with ATL, not sure that could have turned out better.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Bradshaw gets released just prior to my 10th round pick so good for Wilson/Brown.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]My 8th round pick (McGahee) is looking for work.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Welker signing does some damage to my 4th round pick (Decker) I may never draft a ####### Bronco again.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]DHB could be a nice addition in IND. If he locks down the WR2 job that could be a nice bump for this squad. Brazil suspension helps.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Jacoby Jones still looks to be WR2.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Nelson now looking to make the team in CLE with the Bess signing, although Gordon suspension could help.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Tony G is back baby.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Tynes still without a job is kinda surprising.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Overall: Rodgers staying healthy and maybe getting a few immunities could be the key. DHB and Jacoby Jones locking down their respective WR2 positions on their teams would be nice. [/SIZE]

I was wondering the same thing, I did not find any WSL on MFL...Bass?

Tigers don't play tonight, i could load one.

peace

Users who are viewing this thread