What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WTH is actually wrong with Dez Bryant? (1 Viewer)

ppierce

Footballguy
Any Dallas homers know whats up? He was held out of practice again today. Seems like a lot of time missed for a quad "bruise."

Have you ever had a deep tissue bruise?

It hurts like hell and can take weeks to heal. A quad bruise for a WR is serious b/c he needs the quad muscle every time he pushes off that leg.

Depending on the severity of the bruise it could be several more weeks before Dez is back at full strength.

Have you ever had a deep tissue bruise?It hurts like hell and can take weeks to heal. A quad bruise for a WR is serious b/c he needs the quad muscle every time he pushes off that leg.Depending on the severity of the bruise it could be several more weeks before Dez is back at full strength.
Yup, I have. I was able to finish the game with a lot of tightness and some pain, but that night I was in agony, and my entire thigh turned black and blue. High school stuff, but it was a big hit, right on my thigh. The LB who delivered it went out with a concussion, and I'm talking about when if you could see and count 3 fingers, you played. Now, what does that mean in regards to Bryant? Nada, or almost nothing. His bruise could be very different than mine. I was a cripple for 3 days, but by the next Saturday I was 100%. Once the dead blood flushes out of the muscle tissue, you are good to go. Not much different than working out too hard, lifting too much.... sore for days, then fine. However, given his brief history in the NFL, he is at the least injury prone, and possibly a mary when it comes to playing hurt. Obviously, that is an uninformed opinion, as I don't have facts to support it, just observing his propensity to miss games in his brief career. Given that he has been laid up for this long, I suspect more than just a severe muscle bruise. There has to be a pull or a strain there IMO.

Also, remember dallas plays on Monday night, so missing practice today is like missing a Wednesday practice any other week. If he misses practice again tomorrow, then you can start to get worried.

What to make of these rumors that he's skipping meetings and treatments? I'm starting to lose faith in this kid...

NFL Network's Warren Sapp told ESPN Dallas on Tuesday that if stories about Dez Bryant missing treatments and skipping out on team meetings are true, it's time for Cowboys veterans to tighten the reins on the talented, free-styling wideout."He thinks it's OK," Sapp said. "Whatever the head of the unit is, whether it's Miles Austin, (Jason) Witten, (Tony) Romo. Somebody's got to pull it. Somebody's got to pull the yoke in his mouth and say, 'Hey son, this isn't how we do it.'"

What to make of these rumors that he's skipping meetings and treatments? I'm starting to lose faith in this kid...

NFL Network's Warren Sapp told ESPN Dallas on Tuesday that if stories about Dez Bryant missing treatments and skipping out on team meetings are true, it's time for Cowboys veterans to tighten the reins on the talented, free-styling wideout."He thinks it's OK," Sapp said. "Whatever the head of the unit is, whether it's Miles Austin, (Jason) Witten, (Tony) Romo. Somebody's got to pull it. Somebody's got to pull the yoke in his mouth and say, 'Hey son, this isn't how we do it.'"
I would like to see the date on that statement. My guess is it is from last year.

NFL Network's Warren Sapp told ESPN Dallas on Tuesday that if stories about Dez Bryant missing treatments and skipping out on team meetings are true, it's time for Cowboys veterans to tighten the reins on the talented, free-styling wideout.

"He thinks it's OK," Sapp said. "Whatever the head of the unit is, whether it's Miles Austin, (Jason) Witten, (Tony) Romo. Somebody's got to pull it. Somebody's got to pull the yoke in his mouth and say, 'Hey son, this isn't how we do it.'"
I would like to see the date on that statement. My guess is it is from last year.
Hot off the press

'Rovers said:
'VaTerp said:

It hurts like hell and can take weeks to heal. A quad bruise for a WR is serious b/c he needs the quad muscle every time he pushes off that leg.

Depending on the severity of the bruise it could be several more weeks before Dez is back at full strength.
Yup, I have. I was able to finish the game with a lot of tightness and some pain, but that night I was in agony, and my entire thigh turned black and blue. High school stuff, but it was a big hit, right on my thigh. The LB who delivered it went out with a concussion, and I'm talking about when if you could see and count 3 fingers, you played. Now, what does that mean in regards to Bryant? Nada, or almost nothing. His bruise could be very different than mine. I was a cripple for 3 days, but by the next Saturday I was 100%. Once the dead blood flushes out of the muscle tissue, you are good to go. Not much different than working out too hard, lifting too much.... sore for days, then fine.

However, given his brief history in the NFL, he is at the least injury prone, and possibly a mary when it comes to playing hurt. Obviously, that is an uninformed opinion, as I don't have facts to support it, just observing his propensity to miss games in his brief career.

Given that he has been laid up for this long, I suspect more than just a severe muscle bruise. There has to be a pull or a strain there IMO.
This part is not true. A deep bruise from trauma to the muscle is very different than routine soreness after working out. And it's not just a matter of being good to go once the blood flushes out of the muscle. The muscle has to go through the process of repairing the tissue and regaining strength and range of motion.There is no real reason to suspect more than a severe muscle bruise at this time.

NFL Network's Warren Sapp told ESPN Dallas on Tuesday that if stories about Dez Bryant missing treatments and skipping out on team meetings are true, it's time for Cowboys veterans to tighten the reins on the talented, free-styling wideout.

"He thinks it's OK," Sapp said. "Whatever the head of the unit is, whether it's Miles Austin, (Jason) Witten, (Tony) Romo. Somebody's got to pull it. Somebody's got to pull the yoke in his mouth and say, 'Hey son, this isn't how we do it.'"
I saw this the other day too. Based on what I could find, talk of Bryant missing treatments and meetings was from early in his rookie season. I havent found anything recent to validate these rumors.

If that's the case, it seems strange for Sapp to be talking about it now. I'd be relieved to hear that it's a non-issue, though.

Extra day off from practice....look to see if he practices on Sat with Dallas playing Monday night.

I think he will try to go. Especially knowing the team is without Austin already.

Practiced today (Friday). :football: Giddy up.

I saw enough in the first quarter vs NYJ before he got injured to still have very, very high hopes for him this year.

It's not a typical thigh bruise. It's not in the meaty part of the thigh, it's inside and deep more towards the knee and much harder to treat. Steven Jackson had a similar injury 3-4 years ago and missed several weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
i just hope its somewhat clear like last week going into sunday so i can start nelson. please don't do the gtd. from what i've seen they are saying he is expected to start.

Practiced today (Friday). :football: Giddy up. I saw enough in the first quarter vs NYJ before he got injured to still have very, very high hopes for him this year.
:goodposting: He looked fantastic playing against Revis no less. When I saw him get hurt on the freaking punt return I was pissed.

Dez Bryant dressed out for practice, but he was officially listed as "did not participate."

source: Tim MacMahon

Any Dallas homers know whats up? He was held out of practice again today. Seems like a lot of time missed for a quad "bruise."
He should have sat out week 1 but he was back in the game playing hurt and it made the injury worse. It's going to come down to using another WR or taking a chance of Dez. Personally, if it was me I'd look at starting someone else unless I knew for a fact he was running at full speed and he's not at this point.

Soft mentally, soft physically. That's not a recipe for a long career.
Nonsense. How do you know he's soft physically? You have no idea of the severity of his injury. Really, the fact that he's still in doubt for week 3 for an injury he suffered in week 1, the fact that he finished out that game where he was clearly limping and not able to really go suggests he is actually physically tough. Furthermore, you can't watch Dez Bryant and think "soft physically." In fact, it's probably the exact opposite that should come to your mind. He's a beast, which is why a guy like Revis, who openly has called out other big time WRs, said he respected him and that it was "two bulls going at it."

Yup, I have. I was able to finish the game with a lot of tightness and some pain, but that night I was in agony, and my entire thigh turned black and blue. High school stuff, but it was a big hit, right on my thigh. The LB who delivered it went out with a concussion, and I'm talking about when if you could see and count 3 fingers, you played. Now, what does that mean in regards to Bryant? Nada, or almost nothing. His bruise could be very different than mine. I was a cripple for 3 days, but by the next Saturday I was 100%. Once the dead blood flushes out of the muscle tissue, you are good to go. Not much different than working out too hard, lifting too much.... sore for days, then fine.

However, given his brief history in the NFL, he is at the least injury prone, and possibly a mary when it comes to playing hurt. Obviously, that is an uninformed opinion, as I don't have facts to support it, just observing his propensity to miss games in his brief career.

Given that he has been laid up for this long, I suspect more than just a severe muscle bruise. There has to be a pull or a strain there IMO.
This part is not true. A deep bruise from trauma to the muscle is very different than routine soreness after working out. And it's not just a matter of being good to go once the blood flushes out of the muscle. The muscle has to go through the process of repairing the tissue and regaining strength and range of motion.There is no real reason to suspect more than a severe muscle bruise at this time.

I saw this the other day too. Based on what I could find, talk of Bryant missing treatments and meetings was from early in his rookie season. I havent found anything recent to validate these rumors.
Well, it was true for me and my deep thigh bruise, but like I said, my experience with DB's injury doesn't mean anything, each injury is different, a point I thought I made quite clear. In my case, it WAS just like an over worked muscle, a few days and I went from a near cripple to 100%. So, your statement of an absolute is incorrect. That is based on first hand experience. Sapp.... a "Yoke"? Does a YOKE go into your mouth? LOL...

My fellow Cowboy fans here won't admit it, but this team is mixed with a whole bunch of vanilla. Dez, Felix, Newman...three guys who either are injury prone or have a sad shortage of pain tolerance, or both.

Props to Romo and Witten, who clearly have a history of gutting it out when they can. Emmitt separated his shoulder and carried the damn team on it. Thanks for vanishing Felix. Dez and Felix could stand to learn a thing or two from these guys about playing with routine nicks and bruises.

My fellow Cowboy fans here won't admit it, but this team is mixed with a whole bunch of vanilla. Dez, Felix, Newman...three guys who either are injury prone or have a sad shortage of pain tolerance, or both.Props to Romo and Witten, who clearly have a history of gutting it out when they can. Emmitt separated his shoulder and carried the damn team on it. Thanks for vanishing Felix. Dez and Felix could stand to learn a thing or two from these guys about playing with routine nicks and bruises.
is this still the feeling with Bryant. He was frustrating as hell from a fantasy perspective last night against the Redskins, and without the 30 yard catch he is almost useles. But he only got the ball thrown his way 4 times, Is there a reason why Ogeltree got so much love and Bryant didn't get much ofg any? I don't think DeAngelo Hall is that good, right?

My fellow Cowboy fans here won't admit it, but this team is mixed with a whole bunch of vanilla. Dez, Felix, Newman...three guys who either are injury prone or have a sad shortage of pain tolerance, or both.Props to Romo and Witten, who clearly have a history of gutting it out when they can. Emmitt separated his shoulder and carried the damn team on it. Thanks for vanishing Felix. Dez and Felix could stand to learn a thing or two from these guys about playing with routine nicks and bruises.
is this still the feeling with Bryant. He was frustrating as hell from a fantasy perspective last night against the Redskins, and without the 30 yard catch he is almost useles. But he only got the ball thrown his way 4 times, Is there a reason why Ogeltree got so much love and Bryant didn't get much ofg any? I don't think DeAngelo Hall is that good, right?
He didn't look 100%. I think he was there as a decoy as much as anything else.

It's easy to be being enthralled by Dez's athletic ability and upside but it's also difficult to ignore the off-the-field issues and problems staying healthy. I'm torn on him.

Last night he and Romo did make one of the biggest plays in the game when Romo found him on a broken play scramble and heave for a 1st down late in the 4th.

Speak for yourself. Thought Felix showed grit and ran for well, especially as the game went on.Unless you are in the training room you know nothing.GOOD GRIEF.

It's easy to be being enthralled by Dez's athletic ability and upside but it's also difficult to ignore the off-the-field issues and problems staying healthy. I'm torn on him.Last night he and Romo did make one of the biggest plays in the game when Romo found him on a broken play scramble and heave for a 1st down late in the 4th.
I think you're describing a WR13ish (high WR2 with top-5 upside and low bust-risk unless injured). A lot of the disappointment has to do with expectations rather than performance - because his performance last night was startable. Calvin faced that a ton the last couple years, too.

Speak for yourself. Thought Felix showed grit and ran for well, especially as the game went on.Unless you are in the training room you know nothing.GOOD GRIEF.
I didn't realize you werenin the training room with him. My bad.Glad Felix put together a half of football. Unfortunately, due to injury, he wasn't out there for the critical final plays of our last drive due to injury. Again. Forced Choice in there who ran terribly and made a huge mental error. But, of course, what do I know? I wasn't in the training room.

It's easy to be being enthralled by Dez's athletic ability and upside but it's also difficult to ignore the off-the-field issues and problems staying healthy. I'm torn on him.

Last night he and Romo did make one of the biggest plays in the game when Romo found him on a broken play scramble and heave for a 1st down late in the 4th.
Great description, and exactly the conflict I always have. I've got Romo and Dez. Really don't know if that make's me :eek: or :banned: It's like All or Nothing. Dunno if I think they're weak, or if I think they're battlers--but I sure know it's all or nothing. After picking Romo round 3 as my every-week play I've rolled with Cutler weeks one and three. Dez has sat both weeks two and three. They are both potentially top ten in their positions and Romo preseason was considered top five by many--but somehow they both have the sensation of glass and there's no confidence simply rolling them out every week. Though the numbers weren't there--their play this week might go a long way towards dispelling that sensation.

Sure Dez is still hurt and just didn't have the burst. They needed him out there but he should be still be out.
He didn't look 100%. I think he was there as a decoy as much as anything else.
Cowgirls homers crack me up. :lmao:

It's easy to be being enthralled by Dez's athletic ability and upside but it's also difficult to ignore the off-the-field issues and problems staying healthy. I'm torn on him.Last night he and Romo did make one of the biggest plays in the game when Romo found him on a broken play scramble and heave for a 1st down late in the 4th.
I think you're describing a WR13ish (high WR2 with top-5 upside and low bust-risk unless injured). A lot of the disappointment has to do with expectations rather than performance - because his performance last night was startable. Calvin faced that a ton the last couple years, too.
Calvin still performs like a beast when injured. Dez doesn't. Until Dez proves otherwise he'll always be the Bryant McKinnie of wide receivers. I'm an owner in a few leagues and I hate it. If I could move him for less I would in a heartbeat.

I'm starting to get the Micheal Crabtree vibe from Bryant. Tons of talent, but a lack of dedication and a penchant for injury could very well leave them both as career underachievers.

I'm starting to get the Micheal Crabtree vibe from Bryant. Tons of talent, but a lack of dedication and a penchant for injury could very well leave them both as career underachievers.
Two things: 1. I think Dez Bryant is much more talented than Crabtree, and has shown it pretty consistently since he's been in the league.2. I don't think that Dez Bryant is as talented as many make him out to be. For instance, I think that Austin is the more talented WR in Dallas. Dez being more explosive doesn't tip the scales for me.

It's not a typical thigh contusion. It's not in the meaty part of the outside thigh, it's in the inside part of the thigh in the knee. Steven Jackson had a similar injury in 2008 and missed several weeks because it makes it hard to bend the leg, push off and accelerate. It's also much harder to treat with conditional methods for muscle contusion.

Dez is a monster talent. But skipping meetings, being lazy, and relying solely on talent will get him only so far.

The catch he made over Revis in week 1, the TD catch he had later on that drive, the 3rd and 21 play this week. The guy has the physical gifts like a Calvin or Fitz. It's between the ears that is hurting him IMO. Even Calvin gets banged up all the time. But he is able to play at a high level through all the nicks and bumps.

Dez was a keeper for me this year, but if he doesn't show more mental toughness and desire I probably won't be keeping him next year

'griff321 said:
'mdlane said:
'trader jake said:
Calvin still performs like a beast when injured. Dez doesn't. Until Dez proves otherwise he'll always be the Bryant McKinnie of wide receivers. I'm an owner in a few leagues and I hate it. If I could move him for less I would in a heartbeat.
If you go back to the first four games last year, there were multiple threads about how disappointing Calvin is, how disappointing Calvin's injury-riddled 2009 was, and how Calvin is all hype. That all the Calvin supporters just liked to make excuses to explain why Calvin couldn't consistently produce at an elite level. And then, he started to.I see Dez and this thread the same way. You can't compare Dez to Crabtree - I've watched both and Dez is just flat out more talented than Crabtree. I refuse to believe that, barring injury, Dez won't be a top-7 WR with the potential in fantasy football to dominate your opponent any given week. I guess I'm the opposite of you - I don't own him in most leagues because he was always too expensive, but if I could pay some middling RB for him now, I would do it in every league I play in. Because 8 pts in a week isn't a bust and the potential is there for 30.

Dez is a monster talent. But skipping meetings, being lazy, and relying solely on talent will get him only so far.
Dez Bryant has time management and maturity issues, but he is definitely not lazy. The guy is an absolute monster on the practice field. If anything, he probably needs to dial it back some.

Users who are viewing this thread