What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

:X Lakers 13/14 Thread: 6th Draft Slot "Locked Up" :BYE: (1 Viewer)

The Sunday home whites are...

• abominations

Votes: 65 58.0%
  • meh

Votes: 56 50.0%

• Total voters
I'm curious as to why we shouldn't doubt Mitch. The lakers haven't been a relevant contender in 3+ years. They traded for Howard, didn't work out. Same with Nash. Jamison didn't do much. So on and so forth. The last good move he made was getting gasol which happened years ago.
The Lakers made 3 very good moves in the last couple of years:1. Acquiring Chris Paul.

2. Acquiring Steve Nash.

3. Acquiring Dwight Howard.

None of these worked out as projected. Paul was nixed by Stern (in a totally BS move), Nash got injured, and Howard wasn't fully recovered and turned out to be more immature than anyone thought. But they were all great moves at the time.
1. They didn't get Chris Paul. You don't get credit for that. 2. Nash has not played a week of quality ball for them yet. Trading for a post prime hall of famer for a slew of assets is not a good move.

3. Howard led the league in rebounding. He is dojbg so again this year. He isn't a bad player. He didn't fit the team, which is as much an indication of other factors then of the player himself.

Saying moved looked good at the time and didn't work out is pitiful. You don't hear the sixers clinging to hindsight about Bynum. The reality is they aren't a good team and aren't made better by signing Kobe right now.
to be fair it was such a good move that's the reason why they didn't get him.As far as Nash and Howard, they at least rolled the dice on a gamble with the closing/closed window for a championship run instead of doing nothing.

My observation is really about how Lakers fans/apologists seem to think that the organization should be getting some sort of "credit" for these moves that looked good on paper and didn't work out.
Oh, you're having a straw man argument. Not interested.
Yeah, Abe be trying to do work here, but we all know he ain't that bright to pull it off.
:shrug: suit yourself. Congratulation to laker fans on acquiring Chris Paul, a healthy Steve Nash, and the best center in the league. Hope you enjoy beating the heat and getting Kobe more rings!
Now Abe has gone full on mopes. You one crazy drunken fool!

I'm curious as to why we shouldn't doubt Mitch. The lakers haven't been a relevant contender in 3+ years. They traded for Howard, didn't work out. Same with Nash. Jamison didn't do much. So on and so forth. The last good move he made was getting gasol which happened years ago.
The Lakers made 3 very good moves in the last couple of years:1. Acquiring Chris Paul.

2. Acquiring Steve Nash.

3. Acquiring Dwight Howard.

None of these worked out as projected. Paul was nixed by Stern (in a totally BS move), Nash got injured, and Howard wasn't fully recovered and turned out to be more immature than anyone thought. But they were all great moves at the time.
1. They didn't get Chris Paul. You don't get credit for that.2. Nash has not played a week of quality ball for them yet. Trading for a post prime hall of famer for a slew of assets is not a good move.

3. Howard led the league in rebounding. He is dojbg so again this year. He isn't a bad player. He didn't fit the team, which is as much an indication of other factors then of the player himself.

Saying moved looked good at the time and didn't work out is pitiful. You don't hear the sixers clinging to hindsight about Bynum. The reality is they aren't a good team and aren't made better by signing Kobe right now.
to be fair it was such a good move that's the reason why they didn't get him.As far as Nash and Howard, they at least rolled the dice on a gamble with the closing/closed window for a championship run instead of doing nothing.
Abe should be happy they didn't pull it off. He was scared at the thought of both Howard and Paul on the same team in LA. His dome is still wet over it.

I have to admit I've enjoyed watching Farmar and Young play, particularly since I met each when they were in high school. It's made watching these games without Kobe bearable.

An interesting factoid from today's L.A. Times article on last night's loss.

Their five on the floor for most of the fourth quarter Sunday totaled $5 million in salary. The average NBA salary per player is about $5.5 million.
Those five (Meeks, Henry, Johnson, Williams, Sacre) almost brought the Lakers back from a 20 point deficit entering the 4th quarter, much of it against the Portland starting unit.

Gasol says he might need an MRI on his sprained ankle. So he'll be sitting out right about the time Bryant comes back.

Looks like Farmar is going to miss a month with a torn hamstring. So now Blake is the only sort of point guard that's physically able to play, though I think Nash was supposed to try to practice today. Gold star for him.

Gasol's MRI came back o.k.

Bryant possibly playing Friday night up in Sacramento.

Their five on the floor for most of the fourth quarter Sunday totaled $5 million in salary. The average NBA salary per player is about $5.5 million.
Those five (Meeks, Henry, Johnson, Williams, Sacre) almost brought the Lakers back from a 20 point deficit entering the 4th quarter, much of it against the Portland starting unit.

Gasol says he might need an MRI on his sprained ankle. So he'll be sitting out right about the time Bryant comes back.
I hate how D'Antoni is insistent on leaving in the players who brought the team back, even when they've been playing for more than a quarter straight. Once they get the team back in it, bring back the better players and they'll be hungry and fresh to finish it out. He should have put in Gasol, Hill and Blake with about three minutes left.

I hate how D'Antoni is insistent on leaving in the players who brought the team back, even when they've been playing for more than a quarter straight. Once they get the team back in it, bring back the better players and they'll be hungry and fresh to finish it out. He should have put in Gasol, Hill and Blake with about three minutes left.
I feel exactly the opposite. Unless the guys are gassed, you leave them in there. Gasol and Blake were brutal out there, you expect them to suddenly be great because they've been sitting for 30 minutes? I wonder if he'll be able to hold to this when Bryant gets back.

good idea. put in the guys that gave up the big lead to begin with. now they'll be motivated.

Looks like Farmar is going to miss a month with a torn hamstring. So now Blake is the only sort of point guard that's physically able to play, though I think Nash was supposed to try to practice today. Gold star for him.

I thought I heard that Blake has a hyper-extended elbow.

bryhamm said:

I thought I heard that Blake has a hyper-extended elbow.
Yes, they're hoping he (or Nash) will be able to play Friday. Otherwise it's X at the point.

Bryant not playing tomorrow night, good thing NBA TV put the Lakers and Kings on the national viewing schedule.

Blake practiced yesterday.

Lakers no longer on the NBA TV schedule for tonight.

Bryant might actually be able to play on Sunday night though.

Just noting here that the Lakers 1 game over .500 prior to Bryant returning. They got tough down the stretch last night.

It'll be really interesting to see how the team dynamic changes with Bryant back. They might not be the most talented bunch but these guys were really playing well together up to this point.

Schedule was pretty easy, but 10-9 without Kobe is pretty impressive. Say before the season that the Lakers would be starting Blake, Meeks, Wesley Johnson, Jordan Hill and Pau Gasol for most of these games without Kobe, and I don't think anyone would have predicted a winning record.

So Xavier Henry leads the team in scoring for the game with 17 in 14 minutes of playing time.

Think about that for a bit.

I think Gasol actually looked worse than Bryant last night. It was like an old timers game out there for the Lakers. Unfortunately the Raptors had actual NBA players going.

So Xavier Henry leads the team in scoring for the game with 17 in 14 minutes of playing time.

I think Gasol actually looked worse than Bryant last night. It was like an old timers game out there for the Lakers. Unfortunately the Raptors had actual NBA players going.
No doubt in my mind Gasol looked worse. The pulling of Henry in the 4th quarter continues to flabbergast me. No idea what Pringles was thinking there.

Also, the 5 main bench guys all scored 10+ last night and not a single one of the starters got over 10.

No doubt in my mind Gasol looked worse. The pulling of Henry in the 4th quarter continues to flabbergast me. No idea what Pringles was thinking there.

Also, the 5 main bench guys all scored 10+ last night and not a single one of the starters got over 10.
It's exactly what I was afraid of. Pre Bryant he'd just ride the hot hands, which is at it should be. Now he's going to play Bryant whether he's effective or not, regardless of how the rest of the team is doing.

Cave man is underrated when healthy. I like the move, especially for the mini exception.
Yeah, like I said before, they could do a lot worse for the money.
He stinks
Quality analysis here. I think I'm going to let whatever future trolling you care to do go unanswered. :bye:
You're excited about Chris Kamen!? Lol let me break this down for you. The deal is 3.2 mil for one season. Factor in penalties and the deal is 7.5mil. Kamen has never been good. He's had 2 ok seasons in his 10 year career. The last was 2008. He hasn't played over 1400 minutes in 3 years. To top it off he's been awful for the past 4 years. There is smarter ways to spend 7.5 mil, especially after trying to save money by getting rid of MWP. There is logic behind amnestying MWP. Too bad Kobe and Pau eats up majority of the salary cap. They are still over the luxary and that hampers what they can spend. The only options they have is to used their Midlevel Exception to sign their meh players from last season, or sign players for the minimum. Guess what? Both option will come with penalties. And if you read the rules they actually increased the budget by a extra mil because they have to pay the luxary. They would have been better off by doing their due diligence in the d-league or overseas by handing out a bunch of min contracts.

The only players to play in 50 games or over 2000 min was Howard and Kobe. Howard is gone and Kobe might not start the season at least. The only other respectable players on the team were Jamison, Nash, Blake, Jordan Hill and Gasol. Hill is coming off of injury, he can help if he healthy and actually gets time. Of the rest, Gasol is the youngest at 33! Nash, Gasol and Blake played under 50 games last season like I mentioned. I guess now you resign Jamison and hope his level of play stands up. He's not usually as good as he played last season.

They saved a little money. Kaman isn't good. You're stuck with a old roster. The only good young player is Jordan Hill. You won't find a better replacement for Meta most likely. You could have signed some D-League players for the min if you wanted to save a buck. Good job at replacing D12. How can you say they are doing a good job at maximizing the cap? They are wasting money to put a bad team on the floor. If you're tanking because the 2014 draft is supposed to be great than I take everything I said back :)
Gospel. And now Kobe takes minutes from a productive Jodie Meeks

What's the starting lineup going to look like? They have no point guards, where are the assists going to come from?

D'Antoni is pretty brutal. I like how he's calling out a guy who's actually won a couple of championships about collecting paychecks. What the #### has he ever done to say #### like that?

D'Antoni working on alienating Gasol again.

Looks like the team has gotten the tank directive.
From what it seems, it's basically telling him what is already known - he is soft.
Actually, it seems like the opposite. Gasol's saying he's more effective in the low post, D'Antoni won't put him there. Gasol's right, that's where he should be on offense, but D'Antoni is too stupid/stubborn to adjust his "system" to use Gasol effectively. Instead you get Gasol working from 17ft and out.

From what it seems, it's basically telling him what is already known - he is soft.
Actually, it seems like the opposite. Gasol's saying he's more effective in the low post, D'Antoni won't put him there. Gasol's right, that's where he should be on offense, but D'Antoni is too stupid/stubborn to adjust his "system" to use Gasol effectively. Instead you get Gasol working from 17ft and out.
Well..

"We have a system that we play, and our bigs are urged every day to put themselves in every play and to roll hard every play, to post up every play, and to get the ball inside," D'Antoni said. "That's the best thing we can do. And so it's up to them to put themselves in the play. The more energy you bring to the game, the more you're going to get the ball. That's always been the case, and if you don't have the energy, then you probably won't get the ball much. So, if they supply the energy, they'll get the ball and then we'll go from there."

In pick-and-roll situations, Gasol frequently has taken it upon himself to pop out for a jump shot after setting the screen, rather than roll to the hoop, which D'Antoni said is not how the team coaches him to play.

"I guess that's what he wants to do," D'Antoni said. "He does well doing it, but he knows our preference is to dive and post up."
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/12/17/5208554/pau-gasol-analysis-la-lakers-mike-dantoni

Well..

"We have a system that we play, and our bigs are urged every day to put themselves in every play and to roll hard every play, to post up every play, and to get the ball inside," D'Antoni said. "That's the best thing we can do. And so it's up to them to put themselves in the play. The more energy you bring to the game, the more you're going to get the ball. That's always been the case, and if you don't have the energy, then you probably won't get the ball much. So, if they supply the energy, they'll get the ball and then we'll go from there."

In pick-and-roll situations, Gasol frequently has taken it upon himself to pop out for a jump shot after setting the screen, rather than roll to the hoop, which D'Antoni said is not how the team coaches him to play.

"I guess that's what he wants to do," D'Antoni said. "He does well doing it, but he knows our preference is to dive and post up."
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/12/17/5208554/pau-gasol-analysis-la-lakers-mike-dantoni
Which is it, roll hard every play or post up every play, dive or post up - you don't really do both, at least not on the same play. The guy has slow feet - for better or worse - expecting him to play like a 24 year old Amare Stoudamire is idiotic. He needs to start in the low block, not work from the elbow (or further).

Last edited by a moderator:
There are basically two types of coaches in this world: the first type has a system in mind, and insists on using it no matter what kind of talent he's got. Sometimes, if the talent he's got is perfect for his system, then this type of coach can be very successful. More often than not, however, this type of coach spends most of his time trying to fit square pegs into round holes, and fails miserably.

The second type of coach evaluates the talent he's got, and then devises a system that will best utilize that talent. This sort is much rarer, because it takes innovation and creativity, and most importantly a willingness to adjust. The best of these sorts of coaches represent the best coaches who ever lived.

Unfortunately D'Antoni is a prime example of the first type of coach.

Well..

Which is it, roll hard every play or post up every play, dive or post up - you don't really do both, at least not on the same play. The guy has slow feet - for better or worse - expecting him to play like a 24 year old Amare Stoudamire is idiotic. He needs to start in the low block, not work from the elbow (or further).
You get Gasol down low, and he is just gonna pass up the shot than take it to the hole. How many times have we've seen that?

There are basically two types of coaches in this world: the first type has a system in mind, and insists on using it no matter what kind of talent he's got. Sometimes, if the talent he's got is perfect for his system, then this type of coach can be very successful. More often than not, however, this type of coach spends most of his time trying to fit square pegs into round holes, and fails miserably.

The second type of coach evaluates the talent he's got, and then devises a system that will best utilize that talent. This sort is much rarer, because it takes innovation and creativity, and most importantly a willingness to adjust. The best of these sorts of coaches represent the best coaches who ever lived.

Unfortunately D'Antoni is a prime example of the first type of coach.
I think Duh'Toni is the square peg in Jimbo's round hole.

Well..

Gasol is extremely inefficient in the low post. It's what I see, and the numbers back it up (I read the analysis recently pointing out how horrible Pau has been in the post on a pppossession basis).

Well..

Gasol is extremely inefficient in the low post. It's what I see, and the numbers back it up (I read the analysis recently pointing out how horrible Pau has been in the post on a pppossession basis).
You mean this year, or over his career? I haven't looked at the numbers, but it seems like over the course of his career he's been his best when located from the free throw line down. I'd be sincerely interested in seeing any data oriented analysis of that.

Gr00vus said:
tommyGunZ said:
Gr00vus said:
drummer said:
Gr00vus said:
drummer said:

Well..

You mean this year, or over his career? I haven't looked at the numbers, but it seems like over the course of his career he's been his best when located from the free throw line down. I'd be sincerely interested in seeing any data oriented analysis of that.
You can find all the previous data you want. Duh'Toni is the coach for Jimbo and for worse. It's not like Gasol was never called out by Jackson for being soft in the media. For Duh'Toni to do it is flat out hilarious, figuring his teams were never like the Knicks of old in half court slugfests.

Jimbo is probably trying to find a way to unload Gasol, slash more payroll, and have Bryant slug a bunch of scrubs up and down the court because $24 mil a season is nothing compared to what they had spent on a gimpy Luke Walton who added zero. That's nothing compared to what they profit from merch and TV revenue.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, Kobe out 6+ weeks with a knee fracture? Oof. Nice investment.

Overpaying for what happened a few years ago isn't going to do much to help this crew. It's becoming an albatross, no?

Only real hope is to amnesty Kobe and his 30m. It's probably too late for that with the bigger name FA already finding teams. They are fkd capped wise because they could only sign their own players like D12. The only sign and trade I could see is bringing back Bynum but I doubt Hinkie is interested in that.
I don't really understand the point of amnestying Kobe at this time. The time to do that was before Howard left, not after. Now you'd just be begging Cuban to sign him for league minimum and laugh at your sorry ### for having to pay for most of Kobe's salary and get no benefit from it. If they amnesty MWP they'd alleviate much of their luxury tax hit. If they could find a taker for Nash or Gasol, it'd be gone altogether. Kobe's not going anywhere - suggesting that as a realistic option is as stupid as thinking the everyone wants to play for the Lakers just because they're the Lakers.
1) they can't afford him. 2) he's not worth 30m.

3) he's not healthy

4) he's old

I'm really saying they should, but the won't amnesty Kobe. I'm sure some team will bid a good amount of money on Kobe and you won't get hit for the entire 30m. You're right, the time to do that has past. If Kobe and Dwight really had bad blood that could have been a negotiation tactic. Cut Kobe and sign Iggy and J-Smooth or whatever... Then at the deadline you can trade for anyone by offering expiring contracts since every player except Nash and whoever you signed is off the books next year.
Gospel. Now what?

Users who are viewing this thread