What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

xbox one vs ps4 (1 Viewer)

Loan Sharks said:
I don't know for sure but I think direct x is a optimizer soooooo make X1 run better would be my guess.
I would think any serious gamer would know what DirectX is and how it effects games. It seems as much news as you throw in here you would have an understanding of Directx.Have you heard of cryEngine, unreal Engine,frostbite? Most of the major engines use Directx.

Anyway, DirectX is an API that gives developers access to the hardware, shader pipelines, etc. In fact the PS4 uses a modified version of DirectX that has been modified to give even lower level access to the hardware.
He asked what it meant that directx 12 was coming out, not what dirextx was, thanks for answering it doesn't mean much since directx is already in most engines. Slightly better graphics over time for everything most likely.
I was responding to your lack of knowledge on what DirectX is when you have posted so much information. Like I said I thought most true gamers understood all the in between stuff. As far as what DirectX 12 will give the Xbox One is unknown and that if it even supports it. Everyone will find out at GDC if Microsoft planned ahead or not.
It's ok that you don't know what effect DirectX 12 will have and it doesn't make you any less of a gamer as you suggest. It is irrelevant that you don't know what Directx 12 will do. You can still be a car enthusiast even if you don't know every tool the manufacturer uses, just keep at it!
Not sure why you highlighted what you did.
Because you say that a true gamer would know what effect directx would have then you don't know what it will do, which is funny because you are trolling yourself.
I said a true gamer would know what DirectX is. Not what is in an unreleased version. No one knows the details of 12 yet.

You are the troll I just find it funny you post a ton of stuff you do not understand. That is all.

I am done clustering the thread talking to a troll.
Son, I asked a simple question and here we are talking about the merits of being a true gamer. Did we need to go there, really? Couldn't we just answer that simple question?Oh, and to establish my street cred, I go way back to the 2600, Intellivison, Coleco, Sega Master System, Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Genesis, 90s PC gaming (including programming my own Doom mods in college), the PS, PS2, XBox, PS3, 360, XB1 and the PS4. So maybe I'm no longer on the ball as to what the all the technical specifics are these days. Maybe I have a mortgage to pay and a kid to raise which prevents me from hanging out in online nerd forums talking about the latest graphics chips, Monster energy drinks and never getting laid. I instead come here to _this_ fantasy football nerd forum to deal with dudes who at least some grip on reality, who presumably have seen the light of day and have touched a woman that wasn't in their own D&D clan in hopes I can get an answer to a relatively simple question in Layman's terms, because, well, seeing as to how I'm not a "true gamer" and all.

Just answer the damn question and stop trying to impress me with how much you're in the know of hardware and all around douschery, Nerd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Epic fail for the Xbone last night as many users including myself were unable to log onto Xbox live at all last night, which of course was the first night for Titanfall. For me not only was I unable to play the game, I also wasn't able to test out the new headset adapter I picked up as well to see whether it works properly or if I should return it. For a system that has aspirations of going fully digital and always on-line, locking out a sizeable amount of the user base for 5+ hours is completely inexcusable and incomprehensible.

Epic fail for the Xbone last night as many users including myself were unable to log onto Xbox live at all last night, which of course was the first night for Titanfall. For me not only was I unable to play the game, I also wasn't able to test out the new headset adapter I picked up as well to see whether it works properly or if I should return it. For a system that has aspirations of going fully digital and always on-line, locking out a sizeable amount of the user base for 5+ hours is completely inexcusable and incomprehensible.
was it because of the overwhelming demand for titanfall?

MSFT claims it was not. I have no idea. I do know that it did work fine for many people, but was down for a boatload of others (see the Titanfall Xbone board on Gamefaqs for more details)

MSFT claims it was not. I have no idea. I do know that it did work fine for many people, but was down for a boatload of others (see the Titanfall Xbone board on Gamefaqs for more details)
It was just xbox one signing into xbox live. It didn't effect the 360 our anyone who was already signed in. Speculation is the additional new users trying to register on new consoles.

It was just xbox one signing into xbox live. It didn't effect the 360 our anyone who was already signed in. Speculation is the additional new users trying to register on new consoles.
Yep from what I understand it only affected those on XBone trying to sign in, which, given the time period that it happend, is still probably tens of thousands of people. Completely inexcusable regardless of the reason behind it.

Yep from what I understand it only affected those on XBone trying to sign in, which, given the time period that it happend, is still probably tens of thousands of people. Completely inexcusable regardless of the reason behind it.
that's sad. i too would have been pissed had I not been able to play my new game, or even log into my new console.

Titanfall xbox one bundle is $399 at the Microsoft store using promo code "1".
didn't work for me...
It looks like Microsoft is holding a special sale on the Xbox One bundle featuring Titanfall.

If you head to the official Microsoft store online and add the Xbox One Titanfall Edition bundle to your cart and use the promo code “1″ without quotes, you’ll snag the console for $100 less than its MSRP.

There’s no telling how long this deal will last, but you can see that it works based on the screenshot I snapped on my computer.

We first saw the deal thanks to a post on NeoGAF, and users there are reporting success.

Is a $100 drop and the inclusion of one of the system’s most hyped games to date a reason for you to take the splash on an Xbox One? If I didn’t already have mine, this deal would be mighty tempting.

It worked for me. I must have gotten one of the limited amount of codes, or maybe it was a mistake. It says "order processing", so we'll see if it was legit.

OC Zed said:
Son, I asked a simple question and here we are talking about the merits of being a true gamer. Did we need to go there, really? Couldn't we just answer that simple question?

Oh, and to establish my street cred, I go way back to the 2600, Intellivison, Coleco, Sega Master System, Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Genesis, 90s PC gaming (including programming my own Doom mods in college), the PS, PS2, XBox, PS3, 360, XB1 and the PS4. So maybe I'm no longer on the ball as to what the all the technical specifics are these days. Maybe I have a mortgage to pay and a kid to raise which prevents me from hanging out in online nerd forums talking about the latest graphics chips, Monster energy drinks and never getting laid. I instead come here to _this_ fantasy football nerd forum to deal with dudes who at least some grip on reality, who presumably have seen the light of day and have touched a woman that wasn't in their own D&D clan in hopes I can get an answer to a relatively simple question in Layman's terms, because, well, seeing as to how I'm not a "true gamer" and all.

Just answer the damn question and stop trying to impress me with how much you're in the know of hardware and all around douschery, Nerd.
Not going to get in an insult fight with you. What's funny is I wasn't even replying to you unless you forgot to log out of your alias.

I did notice you have over 8,000 posts. Seems like you spend a lot more time locked in than some.

Like I said no one knows what 12 is going to bring for the One until GDC.

If it goes through: :pickle:
I hope it goes through for you. If you are a X1 guy that is excellent deal.
Well, they have taken my money, so :pickle: .
Sweet!

My early quick thoughts on Titanfall (if you care):

1. The vertical dimension makes combat much more interesting. Being able to use walls and ledges to climb up high on buildings to get a good vantage point to take out a Titan, or to climb into a window to escape a fire fight, can be very exciting. It also means there are many more ways your opponents can come at you, so you always have to be on your toes.

2. Other than the vertical, the controls feel pretty much like COD, so its very familiar. In other words, there is limited recoil on the guns, the players move quickly and can jump, dodge, and strafe easily. I like this a lot, as the game plays to my style.

3. I think having a limited amount of time to use your special ability is a great idea and helps out with the balance of the game. So unlike COD, even when your pilot equips stim tactical ability (makes you move faster), you won't have people running around like the MW2 knife monkeys as the ability lasts for less than 10 seconds.

4. The game plays FAST. I don't know if its just people trying to quickly "score up" to get their titans, the fact that when you fire your weapon you show up as a huge dot on the HUD, the inherent speed of the pilots, or what, but most people playing this game right now are constantly running and jumping around and I have seen very little camping. There does not seem to be much incentive to camp, as: (a) there are no no killstreaks; (b) camping means it takes longer to get your next Titan; © the verticality creates many more angles to attack a camper; (d) Pilots have more health than players do in most of the COD games; and (e) No one seems to care much at this point about K/D, helped by the fact that its harder to see other people's stats.

5. Titans are cool, different, and add another interesting layer of complexity. And since everyone gets a Titan with time, they aren't overpowered (yet). I enjoy trying to figure out the best way to take out an enemy Titan, and/or the best way to utilize my Titan or my teammates Titans. The game makers were quite clever to include the Follow Mode for Titans, so that even if you don't want to use your Titan, you can have it around you helping you if you run into a battle with other Titans. Also, lots of fun trying to get your Titan to spawn on top of enemy Titans - got a big kick out of doing that last night. I haven't yet figured out how to control my Titan effectively - that's the next stage of learning the game for me and I look forward to that. In the end, I suspect those most proficient with the Titans, and not the guys good at Pilot to Pilot combat like myself, will be the dominant players in this game.

6. I'm a bit worried about the longevity of this game. Between Pilot and Titan controls, the combat is complex enough to keep me engaged for at least a little while, but after I become comfortable with that, what's next? I'm not sure there are enough customization options (guns, tactical abilities, etc.) or game modes to keep this game fun for the long haul. But I've only played it for a day (+ a few games of beta), so I will reserve judgement.

Overall, I really like the game so far....it is not COD4/Halo2 ZOMG great but it is dynamic and different enough that it may end up feeling that way for me in the end.

Damn, that is a good enough deal I could forget about having to buy the ####ty Kinect

4. The game plays FAST. I don't know if its just people trying to quickly "score up" to get their titans, the fact that when you fire your weapon you show up as a huge dot on the HUD, the inherent speed of the pilots, or what, but most people playing this game right now are constantly running and jumping around and I have seen very little camping. There does not seem to be much incentive to camp, as: (a) there are no no killstreaks; (b) camping means it takes longer to get your next Titan; © the verticality creates many more angles to attack a camper; (d) Pilots have more health than players do in most of the COD games; and (e) No one seems to care much at this point about K/D, helped by the fact that its harder to see other people's stats.
I love this about the game. No one is camping or trying to boost their K/D. Everyone is running around just trying to play to the objective and to have fun. The way it should be. They designed it perfectly to discourage camping.

6. I'm a bit worried about the longevity of this game. Between Pilot and Titan controls, the combat is complex enough to keep me engaged for at least a little while, but after I become comfortable with that, what's next? I'm not sure there are enough customization options (guns, tactical abilities, etc.) or game modes to keep this game fun for the long haul. But I've only played it for a day (+ a few games of beta), so I will reserve judgement.
I have heard this concern voiced quite a bit. It saddens me that we've now reached a time where "longevity" is synonymous with "unlocking stuff".

Up to the release of Titanfall, my two most played games were STILL Gears of War 1 and Left 4 Dead 2. Two games with no customization, essentially one game mode, no XP, no unlocks, etc. Seven years and probably 20,000 game hours later the gameplay was dynamic and fun enough to keep me playing with no incentives other than having a night of fun.

I dunno, it just seems like a game that needs a digital carrot to keep you hooked probably doesn't have fun enough gameplay in the first place. Playing a game shouldn't feel like work, where you grind out a match in order to earn some digital good just so you can use that when you grind out your next match. Thus far, Titanfall's gameplay seems different and dynamic and fun enough to keep me entertained without having to dangle a reward over my head. Whether it can last as long as Gears or Left 4 Dead did for me is another question, but it's off to a better start than any game I've played since those were released.

If it goes through: :pickle:
I hope it goes through for you. If you are a X1 guy that is excellent deal.
Well, they have taken my money, so :pickle: .
Sweet!

My early quick thoughts on Titanfall (if you care):

1. The vertical dimension makes combat much more interesting. Being able to use walls and ledges to climb up high on buildings to get a good vantage point to take out a Titan, or to climb into a window to escape a fire fight, can be very exciting. It also means there are many more ways your opponents can come at you, so you always have to be on your toes.

2. Other than the vertical, the controls feel pretty much like COD, so its very familiar. In other words, there is limited recoil on the guns, the players move quickly and can jump, dodge, and strafe easily. I like this a lot, as the game plays to my style.

3. I think having a limited amount of time to use your special ability is a great idea and helps out with the balance of the game. So unlike COD, even when your pilot equips stim tactical ability (makes you move faster), you won't have people running around like the MW2 knife monkeys as the ability lasts for less than 10 seconds.

5. Titans are cool, different, and add another interesting layer of complexity. And since everyone gets a Titan with time, they aren't overpowered (yet). I enjoy trying to figure out the best way to take out an enemy Titan, and/or the best way to utilize my Titan or my teammates Titans. The game makers were quite clever to include the Follow Mode for Titans, so that even if you don't want to use your Titan, you can have it around you helping you if you run into a battle with other Titans. Also, lots of fun trying to get your Titan to spawn on top of enemy Titans - got a big kick out of doing that last night. I haven't yet figured out how to control my Titan effectively - that's the next stage of learning the game for me and I look forward to that. In the end, I suspect those most proficient with the Titans, and not the guys good at Pilot to Pilot combat like myself, will be the dominant players in this game.

Overall, I really like the game so far....it is not COD4/Halo2 ZOMG great but it is dynamic and different enough that it may end up feeling that way for me in the end.
These are all good points. I want to add another from someone who typically doesn't play COD or other Mutilplayer games:

This game is fun, even if you are terrible at / don't like most other Multiplayer games. There is a genuine feeling of contributing to your team, even if you aren't a good player. And the game definitely discourages camping.

They designed this one very well. Everybody getting a Titan is awesome, but better players get them more frequently rewards skill. And everybody always having an anti-titan weapon ready with one button press, and getting points for damage, ensures even a Titanless newbie getting off six shots with the Sidewinder before the titan squashes him has helped the team.

I'm only at level 9 now (maybe 20 matches), and have felt very comfortable playing with level 40 guys, which is something no other MP game has accomplished (to me, anyway). I also have heard almost no griping about more skilled players playing with newbies. It's early, but encouraging.

I find that Titanfall does the on-foot pilot aspects (the running, wall-running, parkour, etc) so good that the Titans are the weakest part of the game. And that's not a bad thing. I find myself holding onto my Titanfall to see if I can use it tactically and I've been successful in calling it at perfect times to destroy enemies as the Titan lands. It's a beautiful thing.

I find that Titanfall does the on-foot pilot aspects (the running, wall-running, parkour, etc) so good that the Titans are the weakest part of the game. And that's not a bad thing. I find myself holding onto my Titanfall to see if I can use it tactically and I've been successful in calling it at perfect times to destroy enemies as the Titan lands. It's a beautiful thing.
Agreed. I'd rather be on-foot as you put it. The Titans are not as strong as you would expect but that does tend to make the game fairly balanced.

Agreed. I'd rather be on-foot as you put it. The Titans are not as strong as you would expect but that does tend to make the game fairly balanced.
I agree with you. But I do believe that this could be due to how new this game is and the fact that Titans are a new concept. I suspect that as people get more proficient with Titans (and you see more tutorials about it on youtube, etc.), we might begin to see some players dominate entire games with their Titan play.

News,

I am pretty shocked by this one,

Gamestop best selling items the Infamous Second Son Bundle is #1, Titanfall bundle 9th behind the lego game.

http://bgr.com/2014/02/26/ps4-vs-xbox-one-bundle-sales/

*article states the Titanfall bundle was 12th but it moved up a couple slots when I checked it.

http://kotaku.com/playstation-plus-marches-on-with-dead-nation-and-tomb-r-1532498849
The PS4 outsold the X1 by less than 10% in February.

No doubt it's hurting Sony that X1's are in stock and PS4's are not.

newly released sales figures for February put the Playstation ahead with a smaller lead. Sony sold over 287,000 units, while Microsoft was behind with 258,000 units sold.

News,

Gamestop best selling items the Infamous Second Son Bundle is #1, Titanfall bundle 9th behind the lego game.

*article states the Titanfall bundle was 12th but it moved up a couple slots when I checked it.

http://kotaku.com/playstation-plus-marches-on-with-dead-nation-and-tomb-r-1532498849

News,

how long is the wait for a PS4 if you order it from game stop or amazon?

At this point I just wish that Titanfall, Gears, and Halo (and the XB1 controller) were on the PS4. The XB1 interface is just so, so terrible. It's amazing that they could screw things up this badly after how good the 360's was, but I guess this is typical MS one-operating-rocks-then-the-next-one-sucks shenanigans.

5 of us tried to get into a party/game of Titanfall together last night and it took 30 minutes. The whole thing is sooooooo slow, so confusing, so cumbersome. I swear it's running Windows ME as its backbone.

At this point I just wish that Titanfall, Gears, and Halo (and the XB1 controller) were on the PS4. The XB1 interface is just so, so terrible. It's amazing that they could screw things up this badly after how good the 360's was, but I guess this is typical MS one-operating-rocks-then-the-next-one-sucks shenanigans.

5 of us tried to get into a party/game of Titanfall together last night and it took 30 minutes. The whole thing is sooooooo slow, so confusing, so cumbersome. I swear it's running Windows ME as its backbone.
Too heavy too light, too black or too white, too wrong or too right, today or

Tonight

Cumbersome

Too rich or too poor, it's wanting me less and I'm wanting it more

The interface is cumbersome

News,

News,

how long is the wait for a PS4 if you order it from game stop or amazon?
Currently in stock at Amazon, so 2 days if you have Prime.

Figured with all the gamers already in this thread, this would be as good a place as any to ask this question. We raised a bunch of money for the local children's hospital, and one of the things we are thinking about doing is getting 10-12 mobile gaming carts for use in the patient rooms on the inpatient cancer floor, as well as 2-3 carts in the daily infusion clinic waiting room for outpatient treatment. The hospital already has does a lot of activities for younger patients, so what we want to do is something for the older kids, say in the 10-18 years of age (which is why we're thinking XBox over Wii). We'll need to purchase A/V carts, flat screen TVs, game consoles, and a library of games. Here's where you all come in.

My son plays his XBox 360 infinitely more than our PS3, and that seems to be the case with most kids his age and older that we know. So if we go the XBox route, the question is XBox One or XBox 360?

I understand that most or all of the XBox 360 games won't play on the XBox One. So there's the game library issue to consider. And most kids who are in the hospital will be far more familiar with 360 games than games for the One. But the smaller library has it's benefits too, as we can better cover the available selection in our game library.

360 obviously has the better price point, though cost isn't a huge issue. Another issue is that I don't want to purchase 15 360s only to have them be obsolete in the next year. Keep in mind though, that given they'll be on carts and rolled around the hospital floor, I'm not expecting these units to last 5-10 years necessarily.

Finally, because this is in a hospital, it's unlikely that people will be able to log on to their XBox live accounts or anything (and we'd probably try to disable that option, if anything). The games will need to be played natively. Not sure whether that plays into the selection.

Any thoughts, advice, input, etc., that you all might have would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, the funds being used for these purchases are from donations that include gifts from the FFA. So these are your purchases as well!

Thanks,

bb

Great cause BB. I know cost isn't a concern now, but it could be down the road. I'd lean towards the prior gen myself, also knowing that these machines will likely wear out quicker than home units.

Not sure how many you are looking to get but you could also consider getting both ps3 and 360 units (maybe in a 70/30 split in favor of 360). Would have additional library costs but would help those who prefer the ps3.

ETA I see you are looking at 12 to 15 units, I think I'd do a split.

I was originally going to say that I would lean strongly toward the 360, just because it has a vastly better game library than the XB1 (obviously). On the other hand, I expect most developers to stop supporting previous-gen consoles this fall, so the 360 could potentially become obsolete pretty fast. (That's especially true for games that aren't COD, which are the kind of offline games you're talking about). I think I've talked myself into recommending the One instead if cost is really not an issue.

I think the PS4 would be better in that scenario but definitely go with the X1 over the 360. I'd buy up the Titanfall bundle and exchange those for other games kids can play (maybe a Gamespot would help you out if you tell them what's it's for).

Great cause BB. I know cost isn't a concern now, but it could be down the road. I'd lean towards the prior gen myself, also knowing that these machines will likely wear out quicker than home units.

Not sure how many you are looking to get but you could also consider getting both ps3 and 360 units (maybe in a 70/30 split in favor of 360). Would have additional library costs but would help those who prefer the ps3.

The 360 has a huge number of games, but these units should still last for years even in that environment.

The advantage to getting them all the same is that they can share the library.

XBox One would be the call I'd make. Like others mentioned, I'd be worried about lack of support for the system in the near future. Plus the novelty of playing a new system, which they likely don't have at home, might give them something to look forward to while in the hospital. This is what your intent likely is and I think the new system would bring more benefit in that area.

Either way, good idea BB.

Keep in mind that the Xbox One needs to be connected to Xbox Live once so that it can support offline play. I'm sure connecting them once won't be a problem.

The 360 has a huge number of games, but these units should still last for years even in that environment.

The advantage to getting them all the same is that they can share the library.
Yeah that was the additional library costs I referred to.

I think the PS4 would be better in that scenario but definitely go with the X1 over the 360. I'd buy up the Titanfall bundle and exchange those for other games kids can play (maybe a Gamespot would help you out if you tell them what's it's for).
If you decide to go with the new gen systems, I agree with going for the PS4. It's $100 cheaper than the XB1 and has/will have a better offline game library.

I work at a Children's Hospital and we have xbox360s in every patient room hardwired in with the TVs. The kids all know how to play them and navigate around and the only thing they have to ask for are controllers and games that come from our child life department. Not sure if we got some kind of deal from Microsoft or not but you might want to contact the MS corporate offices and see if you can get some discounts on the consoles, games, etc.

I am a PS3 (and eventually a PS4 guy probably), but I think the demographic you are going for would be more of the xbox crowd.

Users who are viewing this thread