What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Yahoo IR question: (1 Viewer)

Gottabesweet

Footballguy
A few days ago Justin Fields was labeled as OUT. I submitted a claim which still shows in pending for tomorrow.

Since Justin Fields is now Q but still on my IR. Will my claim process overnight since it was placed when he was out or will it skip over me?

I know if I try adding a claim now it won’t let me until I move Fields to bench.

He’s week to week.

I just checked my Yahoo league, and Fields is listed as Questionable for this week. He's on your team, correct? Will the site allow you to place him into an IR slot right now?

I just checked my Yahoo league, and Fields is listed as Questionable for this week. He's on your team, correct? Will the site allow you to place him into an IR slot right now?
He’s still on my IR from the time he was “Out”. I submitted claims Monday morning for tomorrow. He changed to questionable last night.

I’m curious if my claims will go through or not overnight.

If I try adding a third guy to my list right now it’ll give me an error because he’s now “healthy” but my other two claims are still in queue.

When I have a guy on the IR slot and I know he will be removed soon I will put in claim as soon as possible. If Yahoo lets me submit that claim it goes through. Even if the guy is ineligible when it processes. As I'm sure u know, if u try to put in claim when guy is currently ineligible it won't let u.

He’s still on my IR from the time he was “Out”. I submitted claims Monday morning for tomorrow. He changed to questionable last night.

If I try adding a third guy to my list right now it’ll give me an error because he’s now “healthy” but my other two claims are still in queue.
I think it will put it through because when u submitted he was eligible. Just don't cancel and attempt again obviously.

Last edited:
Seems like a good buy low. I have interest. His week 15, 16, 17 schedule is sweet
but if he doesnt have a qb that cant throw to him what good are good weeks. he has had only 1 super week and 1 normal week and the rest have been trash
Probably right man.
I don't see Jimmy as a "throw it up and let your guy win" type QB. Adams thrives in that kind of environment.
Isn't that when coaching comes in?

"Hey Jimmy, when Adams is out wide, with single coverage, and you see the safety move away we like our chances when u toss it up."

I think it will put it through because when u submitted he was eligible. Just don't cancel and attempt again obviously.
Thank You! It’ll save me a few bucks of transaction fees with Fields being announced out Friday. So by getting it in early at least I have a shot at a better player. I’m surprised they changed him back to healthy with them saying he’s week to week and not starting W9.

Seems like a good buy low. I have interest. His week 15, 16, 17 schedule is sweet
but if he doesnt have a qb that cant throw to him what good are good weeks. he has had only 1 super week and 1 normal week and the rest have been trash
Probably right man.
I don't see Jimmy as a "throw it up and let your guy win" type QB. Adams thrives in that kind of environment.

"Hey Jimmy, when Adams is out wide, with single coverage, and you see the safety move away we like our chances when u toss it up."

Thank You! It’ll save me a few bucks of transaction fees with Fields being announced out Friday. So by getting it in early at least I have a shot at a better player. I’m surprised they changed him back to healthy with them saying he’s week to week and not starting W9.
I've been playing this early IR game for years. Ha ha. I have never gotten a yahoo email that says your waiver claim was not processed due to ineligible IR designation. I can either submit or not. I've always felt like a change was coming though. Repost with your results.

Probably right man.

I've been playing this early IR game for years. Ha ha. I have never gotten a yahoo email that says your waiver claim was not processed due to ineligible IR designation. I can either submit or not. I've always felt like a change was coming though. Repost with your results.
Yup. I always have the 2 IR spots filled, whereas most of my league doesn't "waste their time". I've had guys in an IR spot that actually played that week!

Correct me if I’m wrong, but in Yahoo when an IR player is no longer eligible for IR (in this case, Fields going from Out to Questionable), it won’t allow you to add another player to your roster until you’ve activated Fields or cut him entirely.

The loophole is for players who are declared Out and then have a bye the next week, they’ll remain Out rather than revert to questionable. This happened to me with Tank Dell prior to his bye. If you have Deebo Samuel you’ll currently see he’s still listed as Out because he was out last week and the 49ers are on bye this week.

I think if you don’t activate Fields and cut another player ahead of time, then Yahoo won’t process your waiver claim because you’d have an ineligible player in IR and would put you above the roster limit. But maybe someone else can back me up on that.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but in Yahoo when an IR player is no longer eligible for IR (in this case, Fields going from Out to Questionable), it won’t allow you to add another player to your roster until you’ve activated Fields or cut him entirely.
Interestingly enough in my specific case I also have Fields in my IR. I figured he would be ineligible for that slot Monday. Knowing that, i put in two claims Sunday afternoon. Yahoo accepted them, but obviously hasn't processed yet. I have never been denied a claim due to ineligible IR designation after the fact. It's all about WHEN u submit it. Once again I've always felt yahoo would change that, but it hasnt yet.

You're correct. I tried doing that earlier this year and Yahoo stopped me.

In week 7, RB Jeff Wilson was in my IR slot when he played and got a carry. Yahoo didn't make me remove him from the IR slot until week 8.

In week 7, RB Jeff Wilson was in my IR slot when he played and got a carry. Yahoo didn't make me remove him from the IR slot until week 8.
You can go into weeks with ineligible players on IR with no issue, it won’t effect your starting lineup or anything. You just can’t add a new player to your team until you’ve removed the ineligible guy from your IR slot first. You probably could’ve continued with Wilson in your IR slot through Week 9 as well as long as you weren’t making a transaction.

You can go into weeks with ineligible players on IR with no issue, it won’t effect your starting lineup or anything. You just can’t add a new player to your team until you’ve removed the ineligible guy from your IR slot first.
Yes, I get that error message all the time, as I'm constantly playing switcheroo with the IR slots.

You can go into weeks with ineligible players on IR with no issue, it won’t effect your starting lineup or anything. You just can’t add a new player to your team until you’ve removed the ineligible guy from your IR slot first.
Yes, I get that error message all the time, as I'm constantly playing switcheroo with the IR slots.
I’ve had this dilemma come up a lot for me, and made me scared of having guys who are only expected to be out one week as IR. I knew if I did that, I’d have to drop a player if I even wanted to put a waiver claim since the IR guy would revert to questionable on Tuesday. I’ll occasionally roll with it and put an Out player on IR if I wanted to speculate on a few players over the course of the day (pick up a 1pm player, then drop for a 4pm player if he shows nothing, then for a SNF player, etc.). Usually go for backup skill players and see if an opportunity presents itself via injury, and cut bait when they don’t.

The other thing to do if you really don’t want to cut anyone but want to eventually use the guy you have on IR is wait until one of your other players is declared out and make the swap then. Just would have to hope it’s not someone you need to start the following week or else you’re back at square one. I was worried I’d have this problem if Purdy was out and I pick up a player I don’t want to cut. Then I’d need to activate Purdy for Tua’s bye week and I’d have a problem on my hands. Thankfully it never came to that.

So an update. I was able to make the claims I put in Monday when Fields was still on my IR as out.

I added Saints for Chiefs and also McBride for nobody (Fields open spot)

So once Fields is out my lineup is legal. If we finish a week with a player on IR who plays we lose the player and docked 20 points.

So an update. I was able to make the claims I put in Monday when Fields was still on my IR as out.

So once Fields is out my lineup is legal. If we finish a week with a player on IR who plays we lose the player and docked 20 points.
So in summary Yahoo allows it. It's all about WHEN u put claim in. Only downside is u gotta make waiver claims before the dust settles on the week. I've been doing it for years so u get used to it. Ha ha

So in summary Yahoo allows it. It's all about WHEN u put claim in. Only downside is u gotta make waiver claims before the dust settles on the week. I've been doing it for years so u get used to it. Ha ha

Yeah that's a good info. I'm so manic about playing with my lineup I never tested it bc you basically have to do your waivers Sunday night bc or Monday night instead of Tuesday bc they could revert to D or Q day after their game.

Yeah that's a good info. I'm so manic about playing with my lineup I never tested it bc you basically have to do your waivers Sunday night bc or Monday night instead of Tuesday bc they could revert to D or Q day after their game.
Yep. Me too. I'll even dump the waiver guy darling that gets zero snaps on Sunday for a guy that hasn't played Monday. Then try to dump him early if I don't like what I see. Yahoo allows it so I do it. Ha ha

Yep. Me too. I'll even dump the waiver guy darling that gets zero snaps on Sunday for a guy that hasn't played Monday. Then try to dump him early if I don't like what I see. Yahoo allows it so I do it. Ha ha
I like this move. We have transaction fees so I try to limit.

I want to add Charbonnett but have to wait till Fields is ruled out now.

I play in 2 local leagues on yahoo. Our add/drops end at 1pm Sunday until waivers run Tuesday night

Yes, but generally guys who were out one week aren't reclassified until Tuesday. So you should be fine waiting until all the games have been played before putting in your claim sometime Monday.

Related note: Yahoo allows you to drop players on your bench even after their games have started/finished, and also to bypass waivers if players are still on bye. But last week, I learned exactly when that deadline is. I had been planning on adding Spears while he was still on his bye, but I forgot until minutes after the Vikings-Niners MNF game had finished, by which point Spears had already shifted to waivers. So if you want to pull that off, make sure you do it before the end of MNF

Interestingly enough in my specific case I also have Fields in my IR. I figured he would be ineligible for that slot Monday. Knowing that, i put in two claims Sunday afternoon. Yahoo accepted them, but obviously hasn't processed yet. I have never been denied a claim due to ineligible IR designation after the fact. It's all about WHEN u submit it. Once again I've always felt yahoo would change that, but it hasnt yet.
Thanks again for this tip. I can confirm that it did indeed work for me.

I had a player declared out on Sunday so I used an IR slot for him. His status was “O” at the time. Put in a waiver claim for a free agent in my league who had already played and thus was on waivers. Yahoo said the claim would process Wednesday if successful. As of Tuesday, the player with “O” reverted to “Q” but was still on my IR. Kept the waiver claim in place and didn’t make any moves.

Little under an hour ago, got the confirmation that the waiver claim was successful. If I hadn’t put the claim in on Sunday, I would’ve had to cut two players for the price of one (one to cut outright to make space for the player no longer IR eligible, and one to swap for the guy on waivers). Instead I was able to do a one-for-one while keeping my other guy on IR. Quite the nifty loophole on Yahoo. :-) (y)

I had a player declared out on Sunday so I used an IR slot for him. His status was “O” at the time. Put in a waiver claim for a free agent in my league who had already played and thus was on waivers. Yahoo said the claim would process Wednesday if successful. As of Tuesday, the player with “O” reverted to “Q” but was still on my IR. Kept the waiver claim in place and didn’t make any moves.

Little under an hour ago, got the confirmation that the waiver claim was successful. If I hadn’t put the claim in on Sunday, I would’ve had to cut two players for the price of one (one to cut outright to make space for the player no longer IR eligible, and one to swap for the guy on waivers). Instead I was able to do a one-for-one while keeping my other guy on IR. Quite the nifty loophole on Yahoo. :-) (y)

Here's another tip I learned the hard way lol. When Burrow was declared out during the game, his status on Yahoo switched to out. Noticing that I decided to see "could I...?" and indeed I was able to move him to IR, freeing up a roster spot. Just picked up a free move for the week because now I have an open roster. Now I was pretty limited bc it was a MNF game and 28 teams players were already on Waivers. You can sort the Player List by NFL teams and looking through the 4 teams on bye I noticed Zack Moss and Jamaal Williams were available. The former is a Kingmaker if JT gets hurt again so why not pick up a free lottery ticket.

Here's where I screwed up. I started looking through players on IR-R. Hmmm....Freiermuth. I don't need him and he hasn't produced all year, but again, free move plus I could immediately move him into my 2nd and last IR spot. I'm so clever....

While I'm tinkering around with that the game ends. ADD Muth DROP nobody MOVE Muth to IR, OK let's go get Moss. [game ends] A player no longer eligible is in the IR spot. Say what? Yep.....as soon as the game ended, Burrow, declared out for the game, reverted to Q. I no longer could pickup Moss. Nor could I put in a claim until I moved Burrow back to the Active Roster.

Cut Muth and went to bed.

Here's another tip I learned the hard way lol. When Burrow was declared out during the game, his status on Yahoo switched to out. Noticing that I decided to see "could I...?" and indeed I was able to move him to IR, freeing up a roster spot. Just picked up a free move for the week because now I have an open roster. Now I was pretty limited bc it was a MNF game and 28 teams players were already on Waivers. You can sort the Player List by NFL teams and looking through the 4 teams on bye I noticed Zack Moss and Jamaal Williams were available. The former is a Kingmaker if JT gets hurt again so why not pick up a free lottery ticket.

Here's where I screwed up. I started looking through players on IR-R. Hmmm....Freiermuth. I don't need him and he hasn't produced all year, but again, free move plus I could immediately move him into my 2nd and last IR spot. I'm so clever....

While I'm tinkering around with that the game ends. ADD Muth DROP nobody MOVE Muth to IR, OK let's go get Moss. [game ends] A player no longer eligible is in the IR spot. Say what? Yep.....as soon as the game ended, Burrow, declared out for the game, reverted to Q. I no longer could pickup Moss. Nor could I put in a claim until I moved Burrow back to the Active Roster.

Cut Muth and went to bed.
That’s rough, I’ve noticed that happen too. Yahoo does that for players who are active but then declared out during a game. They revert the player to questionable right after the game. It’s different if the player was declared out before the game as one of the inactives. In that case the player will remain listed as out until the day after the final game of the week, which is usually Tuesday. Although if that inactive player has a bye the next week, he’ll remain listed as out through that week.

Last edited:
Reading some of what's above, I certainly appreciate the resolve. I refer to manipulating the IR spot as worming the gray zone. My leagues have the default setting, but if seven owners wanted it, I'd change it. But even there, the right to worm would be countered with the right to de-worm! If I'm ever confronted with this, I'd grant every team owner the permission to edit everyone's roster. Worm, but if a league-mate catches you & is willing to add your player (sitting in IR w/o the proper designation) to his/her active roster, blip, he's gone bud. I think a setting more equitable would be more akin to the NFL's practice squad rule.

I also don't like that to varying degree it dilutes the wire. Common, a player has been on IR for weeks, some of that time may include the 21-day window, but eventually he's back up. But you read any number of things like a snap count, a brutal matchup, perhaps he's a WR & the QB's hurting? Perhaps he wasn't exactly lighting it up prior getting hurt? Let's say you know you're not going to start him & the following week is his team's BYE. For some, perhaps most that have commented, that the penalty is soft to stash your player w/o the very designation that allowed you to chuck him into IR in the 1st place, equates to not cheating. I suppose. Pretty certain that the penalty is soft at every site because if it were more forceful they'd be inundated with complaints.

Back to our example, let's add the variable that there's a player on the wire you want. Here's what you're grappling with: you have to add your (IR) player back which means you have to drop a player. Then, to add the FA you want you have to drop a 2nd player. On a Tuesday there's the added variable of how successful your claim is likely to be. Point being, it's doesn't take much for it to be advantageous to leave your player in there. To me it's more challenging & less controversial to find a way to work around injuries.

My Yahoo league allows 2 IR spots, and we all know there are ways to manipulate that. I have suggested we just increase our roster size by 2, and eliminate the whole stupid IR thing. I understand the IR spots are to make FF owners feel more like GM's, but in fantasy, I think the IR spots are just dumb. Increase the roster size and move on.

My Yahoo league allows 2 IR spots, and we all know there are ways to manipulate that. I have suggested we just increase our roster size by 2, and eliminate the whole stupid IR thing. I understand the IR spots are to make FF owners feel more like GM's, but in fantasy, I think the IR spots are just dumb. Increase the roster size and move on.
100% agree. Used to have 16 spots and 2 IR... changed it to 18 spots and 0 IR and it's remarkably better.

There is still a downside to using the two IR spots as extra roster spaces when you have guys who may not be out beyond that week. Once waivers start the designations reset to questionable unless a player is already on IR or are on bye after being declared out prior to their game. If you didn’t submit a waiver claim prior to Tuesday then you’re faced with the dilemma of waiting for another one of your players to be designated as out so you can swap your IR player back to active, or you make two cuts for the price of one.

It can be especially problematic if you wanted to claim a player that week but both your IR slots are occupied by players listed as questionable. Yahoo won’t let you put in a claim if you have an ineligible player occupying an IR slot (though the exploit still works as long as you do it before the end of Monday).

I’ve painted myself in a corner with this before, where earlier in the season I rostered an extra kicker a few weeks in advance of a bye so I didn’t have to cut anyone I was stashing to participate in waivers the following week. The other was recently when I had IR players as questionable and I picked up a backup TE ahead of my TE’s bye week. I don’t like rostering 2 TE’s typically but I wanted to use the IR slots to stash players I wasn’t intending on playing, and I wanted to get a backup TE ahead of the bye and also in case my starter gets hurt and I’d need to pick up a replacement.

I personally like the IR spots as it lessens the bad luck effect of injuries whereas just adding 2 roster spots benefits teams with healthy players a bit more even as there is less chance to find a replacement for injured players.

I personally like the IR spots as it lessens the bad luck effect of injuries whereas just adding 2 roster spots benefits teams with healthy players a bit more even as there is less chance to find a replacement for injured players.
Yeah that’s the big thing for me. Having two IR slots as temporary roster spots beats having everyone in the league fill those two spots and deplete the free agent pool that much more. IR also adds an element of strategy: if you pick up a player with that IR spot and then get attached to that player, now you eventually have to figure out who to drop.

Yeah that’s the big thing for me. Having two IR slots as temporary roster spots beats having everyone in the league fill those two spots and deplete the free agent pool that much more. IR also adds an element of strategy: if you pick up a player with that IR spot and then get attached to that player, now you eventually have to figure out who to drop.
Yep. I agree with this.

Users who are viewing this thread