What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Young to turn pro (1 Viewer)

coolnerd

Footballguy
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3573146.html

Texas junior quarterback Vince Young plans to enter the NFL draft and forgo his final year of college, a close family friend said today. Young plans to make the announcement this afternoon at a press conference in Austin.

"He has the blessing of God, the pastor and his family," said Yolanda Lezine, Young's godmother and the family media's spokeswoman. "It's his decision. Everybody is going to support him a 110 percent."

Young capped off his career Wednesday night, rallying the Longhorns from a 12-point deficit in the fourth quarter to defeat two-time defending national champion Southern California, 41-38, in the Rose Bowl.

The Madison product will hire Bus Cook as his agent. Cook is also the agent for Tennessee quarterback Steve McNair, Young's mentor, and Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre.

Young finished with 467 all-purpose yards – 200 rushing and 267 passing – in what some are calling one of the greatest performances in college football history. He is the first player in NCAA history to rush for 1,000 yards (1,050) and pass for 3,000 yards (3,036) in a season. In three seasons, Young is 30-2 as a starter at Texas, the best in school history.

Some draft analysts project Young could be selected among the top 5 in the April draft, possibly as high as the top 3. The Texans, New Orleans Saints and Tennessee Titans own the top three picks in the draft.

The chance to be selected that high was one of the deciding factors in Young's decision not to return to the Longhorns.

All underclassmen must declare for the NFL draft by Jan. 15. Young will become the underclassman to leave early in coach Mack Brown's eight-year tenure at Texas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Honestly, I did see it comming but really just wasn't sure. There's really no way I think New Orleans passes up on him, even for Lienart. As a Saints fan, I'm stoked.

Wow. Honestly, I did see it comming but really just wasn't sure. There's really no way I think New Orleans passes up on him, even for Lienart. As a Saints fan, I'm stoked.
I would think NO would still take Leinart. :confused: Brooks will be let go and their backup has proven he's not starter material. Therefore, they will need the guy who can step in right away and play, which is certainly Leinart>Young.

This is the BEST news for the Jets.Now D'Brickshaw Ferguson, Leinart, Bush and Young will go 1-4 in some order, and they'll scoop up one helluva NFL prospect at #4.

Hah! I argued all year that he was coming out even when he said he wasn't, and mods and three digiters were rolling eyes at me! Hah! :) But yes, Wow for New Orleans. They have to decide between Young and Leinart (or so it seems). This could get really really interesting for Leinart and his fans. I'm almost certain Tennessee will NOT have any interest in Leinart. How far could Matt fall. Would Tennessee trade down if they can't have Bush or Young? Would the Jets or Packers take Leinart? Would he fall to the Raiders? Davis wants a big arm and Matt doesn't have it. Who would trade up for a franchise QB with a weak arm and slow feet?

I think the Saint will draft Leinart... but if they don't this gets very interesting for him.

This is the BEST news for the Jets.

Now D'Brickshaw Ferguson, Leinart, Bush and Young will go 1-4 in some order, and they'll scoop up one helluva NFL prospect at #4.
D'Brick may not end up the top rated OL, and I doubt given his small size and upper body strength concerns that he'll rate higher than the top LB or DE. Yes, this is good for the Jets, but I think the players to be excited about should be AJ Hawk and Mario Williams. They both can't miss.

Hmm...well not to detract from the original conversation, but it would seem that a more mobile QB would be a better fit in New Orleans system than a dropback passer in Lienart. Their offensive line simply cannot protect the QB and even a slippery QB like Brooks got sacked 33 times this year. It allowed defenses to blitz regularly and hence, the offense became more about perservation than attacking. Besides, there's simply no guarantee that Lienart will play for the Saints. Given his disgust for the Niners last season and his return to school, he may just pull another Eli. Young looks like a solid, good-natured, talented kid. Any GM would love to have him.

I would think NO would still take Leinart. :confused: Brooks will be let go and their backup has proven he's not starter material. Therefore, they will need the guy who can step in right away and play, which is certainly Leinart>Young.
I'm not surprised especially after the Rose Bowl - best performance EVER!This will be an interesting situation to watch. If the staff likes Brooks' skill set but wants a leader, Young is the guy. If they want more of a pocket passer who is ready to start today, Leinart would be the choice.

If the owner wants to move to LA, Leinart is the choice. ;)

How far could Matt fall. Would Tennessee trade down if they can't have Bush or Young? Would the Jets or Packers take Leinart? Would he fall to the Raiders? Davis wants a big arm and Matt doesn't have it. Who would trade up for a franchise QB with a weak arm and slow feet?

I think the Saint will draft Leinart... but if they don't this gets very interesting for him.
I don't see Leinart getting past New York even if he isn't selected by the Saints.

I'm almost certain Tennessee will NOT have any interest in Leinart. How far could Matt fall. Would Tennessee trade down if they can't have Bush or Young? Would the Jets or Packers take Leinart? Would he fall to the Raiders? Davis wants a big arm and Matt doesn't have it. Who would trade up for a franchise QB with a weak arm and slow feet? I think the Saint will draft Leinart... but if they don't this gets very interesting for him.
With Norm in TN. I am sure he is lobbying heavily for Leinart. TN needs to make a decision at QB this year and probably the only way they are completely out of the picture for a QB come draft day is if they some how keep both McNair and Volek, which is looking highly unlikely.

Actually this poses an interesting scenario. I hear the Titans love Young and given that him and McNair enjoy a very healthy friend/mentorship- I wouldn't be surprised if the Titans actually trade up to the two spot to ensure they get him. He would allow Tenessee to maintain their current system and build for the future, just like they would have done with McNair at the helm. It's almost a match made in heaven and ultimately, I think the Saints will play the 'interested in Vince Young' card and end up getting a late round selection and the 3rd pick.

I know that it's hard for Young to turn down the money, because he will be chosen early, but he needs another year to refine his skills to be more suited to the pro game. He won't be able to do to NFL linebackers what he did to college linebackers. Vince Young's ability in the passing game is still a work in progress.

With Norm in TN. I am sure he is lobbying heavily for Leinart.
Hey TME, I'm now very confident that Norm Chow is the reason why Tennessee is not interested in Leinart. I've been writing about Chow not being a big fan of his in these draft threads all season. I've recently been reading enough "rumor" from solid observers to feel almost certain that I was reading this right all along. We'll see. But here's the stuff I've been talking about. Chow preferred Cassel to Leinart three years ago in a very close QB competition. Carroll trumped Chow because Leinart was the better student and had prepared himself according to Carroll's Hoyle. Cassel was more of a free spirit at USC. Chow liked Cassel's athleticism and stronger arm. Chow also was quoted calling Booty the best prospect of the three, then later expressed surprise at Leinart's success.

Chow recently called Bush the best Trojan prospect and some observers felt like he was being critical of Leinart by the way he answered.

The rumors of Tennessee/Chow being very interested in Cutler have accelerated to the point of a Tennessee big dog, maybe the GM, saying they rated Cutler above Leinart. I think I can substantiate this one, and I will try. I understand Jay is a local boy and of course they'll have nice things to say about him and he will be seen around the facility, but this may have advanced a little further.

Still, I think the Saints take Leinart and none of this matters. But my thoughts are about the possibility that they don't.

I know that it's hard for Young to turn down the money, because he will be chosen early, but he needs another year to refine his skills to be more suited to the pro game. He won't be able to do to NFL linebackers what he did to college linebackers. Vince Young's ability in the passing game is still a work in progress.
He can refine himself better in the NFL than at Texas. Texas coaching has been awful for his development and another year in that offense is not nearly as good for him as a year (or two) carrying a clipboard and getting good coaching.

With Norm in TN.  I am sure he is lobbying heavily for Leinart. 
Hey TME, I'm now very confident that Norm Chow is the reason why Tennessee is not interested in Leinart. I've been writing about Chow not being a big fan of his in these draft threads all season. I've recently been reading enough "rumor" from solid observers to feel almost certain that I was reading this right all along. We'll see. But here's the stuff I've been talking about. Chow preferred Cassel to Leinart three years ago in a very close QB competition. Carroll trumped Chow because Leinart was the better student and had prepared himself according to Carroll's Hoyle. Cassel was more of a free spirit at USC. Chow liked Cassel's athleticism and stronger arm. Chow also was quoted calling Booty the best prospect of the three, then later expressed surprise at Leinart's success.

Chow recently called Bush the best Trojan prospect and some observers felt like he was being critical of Leinart by the way he answered.

The rumors of Tennessee/Chow being very interested in Cutler have accelerated to the point of a Tennessee big dog, maybe the GM, saying they rated Cutler above Leinart. I think I can substantiate this one, and I will try. I understand Jay is a local boy and of course they'll have nice things to say about him and he will be seen around the facility, but this may have advanced a little further.

Still, I think the Saints take Leinart and none of this matters. But my thoughts are about the possibility that they don't.
Great stuff here, thanks :thumbup:

I think you are taking some serious liberties with your assessment of Chow. I viewed serveral practices that summer and Matt simply outperformed Cassel. Everything I heard/read/saw pointed to Chow making the call to go with Matt.

Have the Saints completely given up on Adrian McPherson being a good NFL QB?
He is still a few years away from even being a capable backup. For all the love McPhearson got from this board last year, I think many forgot how raw he really is.

With Norm in TN. I am sure he is lobbying heavily for Leinart.

Great stuff here, thanks :thumbup:
You're welcome, but eh, it's still pretty speculative. I'll look ignorant when Chow announces Leinart is the greatest QB he's every coached. :D I am confident in the above assessment though. Now I'm more interested in finding out what the Saints are thinking.

I think you are taking some serious liberties with your assessment of Chow. I viewed serveral practices that summer and Matt simply outperformed Cassel. Everything I heard/read/saw pointed to Chow making the call to go with Matt.
Maybe so, but that part of my opinion was in an LA Times article from those days, so it would be that reporter taking liberty with Chow. It should be archived there. Remember when Leinart got hurt at AZ or ASU, then stayed in the game and played great? The stuff on Chow being surprised and preferring Cassel was in the story about that game. Leinart didn't have the faith of his teammates yet, in part because the QB competition was so close, in part because Palmer's legacy was still strong. The gist of the story was It's Matt's team now. I have searched for the story, but I think someone with Nexus Lexus will be required. I've always admitted I could be reading more into this stuff than I should be, but I am confident that Chow likes a more mobile QB with a stronger arm.

I'm thinking Norm Chow is licking his chops thinking of the possibilities of what he could do with VY at qb, and the thought of coaching him up.

Hah! I argued all year that he was coming out even when he said he wasn't, and mods and three digiters were rolling eyes at me! Hah! :)
I doubt he comes out had USC won that game to be honest.
He can refine himself better in the NFL than at Texas. Texas coaching has been awful for his development and another year in that offense is not nearly as good for him as a year (or two) carrying a clipboard and getting good coaching.
I agree. Texas is severly lacking in this department IMO. Young has taken his career at Texas as far as it is going to go. He is mature enough and skilled enough to play in the NFL and should go. Personally, I don't think he is as ready as passer as he needs to be to succeed, but he isn't going to improve any more at Texas. I would prefer Lienart of the 2 QBs, simply because when you take an athlete like Young who suddenly cannot run the same way as he did in college and who's passing game is less than fully developed you never know how they will react. I think Matt is simply a safer pick.

Houston better think long and hard about this guy as their NEW franchise QB. He's a big guy with an ACCURATE arm who can throw with TOUCH. David Carr is a BUM and will never be a franchise QB. Reggie Bush is a SMALL RB who will never be a franchise guy, imo. Simple question....would you rather have a BIG, bigtime Q or a SMALL part-time RB who had a meltdown in the biggest game of his life? Vince Young to Houston is kindof a no-brainer....kindof why I think they WONT choose him. Thats the kind of silly stuff BAD teams do.

I must restate my comments that I think YOung is a perfect fit for New Orleans and Mike Marts. Young is an African American QB from the South that the people of New Orleans will relate with and embrace. He will create an excitement that that town hasn't seen.....well.....ever. He is from the area and he is exciting. New Orleans would probably sell out every game. You think Tom Benson actually cares about winning? Wrong. He cares about putting butts in the seats. Young will be a Saint. I admit that Lienart may be the more "polished" QB but the Saints need more than that. Leinart isn't going to step right in and start either and if he does, he wont be any better than Young. As a matter of fact, I would say I think YOung could walk in and start because of his style. Maybe Tennessee and New Orleans can work out a trade if anything. New Orleans might swap picks with them for a later pick. It would make a ton of sense. That way New Orleans could have an excuse for passing on Lienart......Just specualtion I guess.....sure makes the off season fun.....

Phil Simms was on NFL Today with Mike Francesa this morning and said he thinks Young is a HUGE risk. That people [myself included] got all excited about his 30 or 40 performance but that almost none of the throws he made in that game will be available in the pros. He also said that after watching film on him, Young is a "safe, tentative" thrower and that's a recipe for disaster in the NFL.Take it for what it's worth, but he conceded that Young will be a very high pick and COULD evolve, but that he's got a ton of work and is far, FAR from being ready to help an NFL franchise.

Good Decision for VY: He couldn't go anywhere but down the draft board by staying another year. He can refine his skill just fine on an NFL team. Is he ready to start in the NFL? No. Is he ready for an NFL Roster? Absolutely.

I think Young is better than Vick was when he came out early. I think if the Texans cannot trade down (which I guarantee is what they want to do), they will surprise people and take Vince Young (kind of like how Miami talked about wanting Braylon Edwards and took Ronnie Brown). Young would be so much better than Carr in that offense. It's a run-blocking offensive line that can't pass protect. Perfect!Here's how I see it happening if Houston can't trade downHouston - Vince YoungNew Orleans - Matt LeinartTennessee - DBrickshaw FergusonNew York Jets - Reggie BushGreen Bay - DeAngelo WilliamsOakland - Jimmy WilliamsSan Fran - AJ HawkHowever, I think Houston will trade down and this is what will happen:Tennessee (via Houston) - Vince YoungNew York Jets (via New Orleans) - Reggie BushHouston (via Tennessee) - D'Brickshaw FergusonNew Orleans (via NYJ) - Matt LeinartGreen Bay- DeAngelo WilliamsOakland - Jimmy WilliamsSan Fran - AJ HawkTennessee will want to get Vince Young to be mentored by McNair, so they trade up with Houston to take him. The Jets, realizing that the Texans can still snag Reggie Bush, are forced to trade up with New Orleans to get their man. The Texans "settle" with their franchise LT and New Orleans gets a franchise QB.

Phil Simms was on NFL Today with Mike Francesa this morning and said he thinks Young is a HUGE risk. That people [myself included] got all excited about his 30 or 40 performance but that almost none of the throws he made in that game will be available in the pros. He also said that after watching film on him, Young is a "safe, tentative" thrower and that's a recipe for disaster in the NFL.

Take it for what it's worth, but he conceded that Young will be a very high pick and COULD evolve, but that he's got a ton of work and is far, FAR from being ready to help an NFL franchise.
I find it funny how Simms talks down VY. His boy was supposedly the greatest thing since sliced bread at Texas yet his successor killed his stats and brought what he was supposed to the university.....a national championship.

Houston better think long and hard about this guy as their NEW franchise QB. He's a big guy with an ACCURATE arm who can throw with TOUCH. David Carr is a BUM and will never be a franchise QB. Reggie Bush is a SMALL RB who will never be a franchise guy, imo. Simple question....would you rather have a BIG, bigtime Q or a SMALL part-time RB who had a meltdown in the biggest game of his life? Vince Young to Houston is kindof a no-brainer....kindof why I think they WONT choose him. Thats the kind of silly stuff BAD teams do.
You know a guy is good when 13 carries for 82 yards and 6 catches for 95 yards against a very good defense is considered a "meltdown". Did you also consider guys like Thurman Thomas and Marshall Faulk "part-time RB"s? Sure, he might only get around 15 carries and 5 catches a game, but he can have a huge impact on the game with those touches.

I think VY ends up with his mentor, McNair, in Tennessee. Cutler will probably end up as the first pick of the Miami Dolphins; Nick Saban likes Cutler's potential.

Last week the opinion was Houston had to take Bush even though they didn't really need him, but due to the public perception he had to be picked. This week VY had a tremendous title game and being from Houston the fans want VY. I believe most of the board agrees the offensive line is probably the most serious problem for them. Tough position to be in for the Texans.

please tell me you're kidding

Phil Simms was on NFL Today with Mike Francesa this morning and said he thinks Young is a HUGE risk. That people [myself included] got all excited about his 30 or 40 performance but that almost none of the throws he made in that game will be available in the pros. He also said that after watching film on him, Young is a "safe, tentative" thrower and that's a recipe for disaster in the NFL.

Take it for what it's worth, but he conceded that Young will be a very high pick and COULD evolve, but that he's got a ton of work and is far, FAR from being ready to help an NFL franchise.
YEah....this wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that Young has more talent in his big toe than Chris Simms altogether?

Sounds like Phil is just looking at one game.Stupid.

Houston better think long and hard about this guy as their NEW franchise QB.  He's a big guy with an ACCURATE arm who can throw with TOUCH.  David Carr is a BUM and will never be a franchise QB.  Reggie Bush is a SMALL RB who will never be a franchise guy, imo.  Simple question....would you rather have a BIG, bigtime Q or a SMALL part-time RB who had a meltdown in the biggest game of his life?  Vince Young to Houston is kindof a no-brainer....kindof why I think they WONT choose him.  Thats the kind of silly stuff BAD teams do.
You know a guy is good when 13 carries for 82 yards and 6 catches for 95 yards against a very good defense is considered a "meltdown". Did you also consider guys like Thurman Thomas and Marshall Faulk "part-time RB"s? Sure, he might only get around 15 carries and 5 catches a game, but he can have a huge impact on the game with those touches.
That crazy lateral might be contributing somewhat to the "meltdown" assessment.

Question in regards to Young. I don't watch much college football so please forgive my stupidity. From what I saw in the bowl game he was doing most if not all of his passing via the shotgun. Is this correct?

This is incorrect. Simms has seen Young plenty. Lest we forget where Chris Simms went to school? He still follows the 'horns

This is incorrect. Simms has seen Young plenty. Lest we forget where Chris Simms went to school? He still follows the 'horns
You know this to be true? Phil Simms is a very busy man.I've seen every down of football Vince Young has ever played and I can tell he will throw the deep ball without hesitation when it's there. I doubt Simms has even seen half his games this season.

In the Rose Bowl, Texas took the short passes because SC was in Cover 2 almost the entire game. They were giving Texas the short pass, esp to Thomas, who raped them, so they took it and marched right down the field, repeatedly. Why on earth, then, would they get greedy and throw deep into a Cover 2. That's suicide and utterly stupid. Texas' gameplan with Vince throwing short passes and rushing for nearly 300 yards as a team won them the game.

Also, I'm a big Chris Simms fan, but he's no Vince Young...

just because his opinion differs from yours does not mean he has not seen Young play. Also, you need to consider why Simms is saying this now. It does not make sense to me.

just because his opinion differs from yours does not mean he has not seen Young play.  Also, you need to consider why Simms is saying this now.  It does not make sense to me.
Got your PM. There may be something to that. Who knows?What I do know is that I've never thought much of Phil Simms or his opinion. During his broadcasts he comes off as an abrasive idiot. I am a fan of his son, however, who has exhibited far more class than his father over the years, imho. Chris Simms' opinion would mean more to me than his idiot father's.

just because his opinion differs from yours does not mean he has not seen Young play. Also, you need to consider why Simms is saying this now. It does not make sense to me.
Got your PM. There may be something to that. Who knows?What I do know is that I've never thought much of Phil Simms or his opinion. During his broadcasts he comes off as an abrasive idiot. I am a fan of his son, however, who has exhibited far more class than his father over the years, imho. Chris Simms' opinion would mean more to me than his idiot father's.
If it isnt info-sensitive, I'd like to know what that PM business is about. Seems like someone may have stumbled upon something.

There are relationships built as to why Simms went to Texas. Dad still is tight with many down in Austin. I question why daddy Simms says this now. Why disrespect Young, whom all Horns fans love, versus his son, who is not well-liked in Texas.They all rememr the Major/Vince fiasco mentioned earlier.

There are relationships built as to why Sinns went to Texas. Dad still is tight with many down in Austin. I question why daddy Simms says this now. Why disrespect Young, whom all Horns fans love, versus his son, who is not well-liked in Texas.

They all rememr the Major/Vince fiasco mentioned earlier.
You mean the Major/Chris fiasco, and the Chance/Vince rotation fiasco?

There are relationships built as to why Sinns went to Texas.  Dad still is tight with many down in Austin.  I question why daddy Simms says this now.  Why disrespect Young, whom all Horns fans love, versus his son, who is not well-liked in Texas.

They all rememr the Major/Vince fiasco mentioned earlier.
You mean the Major/Chris fiasco, and the Chance/Vince rotation fiasco?
Yep. Sorry. thanks for catching it.

I don't mean this as any slight to Young or Leinart, but taking Reggie Bush is the right move for the Texans IMO.You can never have too many good RB's. A combo of Bush/Davis is a great commodity.If I recall Davis doesn't get a whole ton of money. They can afford to have the two of them. Giving them more production as well as a great backup plan in case of injury.Carr is paid like a franchise QB. He's never had any type of offensive line production and I think maybe he deserves that chance before starting the rebuilding process all over again, which would be costly to the team for many reasons.If the Texans could trade down for line help (Offense and Defense) it would seem to be a good plan, but it seems they have already decided to not go that route.

Houston better think long and hard about this guy as their NEW franchise QB.  He's a big guy with an ACCURATE arm who can throw with TOUCH.  David Carr is a BUM and will never be a franchise QB.  Reggie Bush is a SMALL RB who will never be a franchise guy, imo.  Simple question....would you rather have a BIG, bigtime Q or a SMALL part-time RB who had a meltdown in the biggest game of his life?  Vince Young to Houston is kindof a no-brainer....kindof why I think they WONT choose him.  Thats the kind of silly stuff BAD teams do.
Im obviously referring to the meltdown pitch when Bush advanced the ball down to inside the 20 and somehow had a 'momentary lapse of reason', aka a MELTDOWN, throwing the ball backwards while getting drilled. Do we not know a meltdown when we see one?

Im obviously referring to the meltdown pitch when Bush advanced the ball down to inside the 20 and somehow had a 'momentary lapse of reason', aka a MELTDOWN, throwing the ball backwards while getting drilled. Do we not know a meltdown when we see one?
So that one play is enough to make you think he wont be a good NFL RB?

So that one play is enough to make you think he wont be a good NFL RB?
The only comparable play in history I can remember is Chris Webber calling Time out when they had no time outs in the College Championship. Webber went on to become a pretty solid pro, Bush will be solid, yet unspectacular, like a Warrick Dunn.

Users who are viewing this thread