What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your first ever draft pick (1 Viewer)

Bad_Mo

Footballguy
Mine was Emmitt Smith back in 1994.

I had the #1 pick and drafted by telephone while looking through USA today pre-season stats.

Jerry Rice - last pick of round 1

It was the year Terry Allen came back from his knee surgery. He helped me win my first title. Hooked ever since.

Shaun Alexander in '07 (i think it was '07)

took him 4th overall and started him maybe the first 3 weeks (Ouch) ended up starting Jacobs and Lynch the rest of the year. I knew nothing back then...

Both 2nd round picks.....Will Franklin...followed up by Brian Brohm :football:

yea my first picks in my dynasty draft were god awful.

Jerry Rice - last pick of round 1It was the year Terry Allen came back from his knee surgery. He helped me win my first title. Hooked ever since.
Same player way different result.Rice had never had a serious injury his whole career until I jinxed him. 1997 He got hurt the first game of the year and didnt play again until really late in the year and was shut down. My season went in the tanks week 1 and never got better.

First league: Not sure if it was 1995 or 1996, but I know the player was Jerome Bettis.

First 'serious' league: 1999- Ike Bruce

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark Rypien with 2nd overall pick in a TD only league - 1990. I was a guppy back then.

Jerry Rice. Had a choice between him and Emmitt. I think Smith scored 25 touchdowns that year. Of course Rice was awesome too though.

Jerome Bettis - 5th overall pick in 1998. Steve McNair (RIP) in the 2nd and Marshall Faulk was my THIRD round pick for massive production.

Bernie Kosar, 1987. Cleveland Free-Net Fantasy Football League, run by JJ Pudelski out of Case Western Reserve University on Message Boards, 1200 baud modems.

Bernie Kosar, 1987. Cleveland Free-Net Fantasy Football League, run by JJ Pudelski out of Case Western Reserve University on Message Boards, 1200 baud modems.
Wimp. We did manual calculations right out of the Monday morning paper.

Drafted Jerome Bettis in his 2nd year with the Rams. Passed up on some HOFers in the process. I hated the Bus for a while after that.

Hmm, might have been Boomer - was back in '89. I do remember for sure 4 picks I made in draft.

Tim Worley his rookie year in round 4 :scared:

Steven Baker the Touchdown maker in (I think) Round 7 or so. He didn't make too many touchdowns for me but he is the only player I've ever met who I owned on my fantasy team.

Erik McMillian - INTs were worth 2 and sacks were worth 2. This was my first draft so the whole "take the steady 2 or 4 points from a sack guy" didn't really enter into consideration. McMillan ended up returning 3 INTS for a touchdown that year and picked off 4 more I think. :rolleyes:

Picked Ironhead Heyward in the last round (I debated between him and Hilliard). Cut him for Hilliard after week 1. That was the year Dalton went off for like 18 TDs.

Picked up Sterling Sharpe as a FA and he got me like 13 TDs.

Just remember another one: picked Andre Rison of the COLTS in like round 11 - it was either his rookie or 2nd year as well I think.

One regular football mag was all I had to go on. Pretty much all the whole room had to go on.

-QG

I recall having to wait for the Wednesday paper for the final MNF box score when the game ran late which was about 60% of the time.

Back-to-back picks in 1997. I like to say I picked curtis Martin first, but the truth is, I picked Jeff Blake first immediately followed by Martin. Best part is, it was an initial draft for a keep 7 league and I did not keep Blake going into the next year.

I recall having to wait for the Wednesday paper for the final MNF box score when the game ran late which was about 60% of the time.
Wow - I was at CWRU then or shortly thereafter and we had another league with manual calculations..Stan Humphries - 1991 last pick of Round 1

Brett Favre 1996 1.04

I remember hooting and hollering like I just won the Lotto. I didn't think he'd be there at 4. Then a couple people laugh and they tell me Passing Td's are only worth 4 points. I was so pissed I didn't know that until after I took my QB. Favre still had a great year, but I would have went RB if I had known. FYI.... Always get the scoring system before your first draft. Every draft for that matter. I just assumed, a TD is 6 points, just like in the NFL.

I only jumped into the fantasy stuff recently, but i joined a keeper league my first year and my first pick after keepers was Tatum Bell. :bag:

1998 I drafted Terrell Davis with the first pick. I got Jerry Rice in either the second or the third round that year. I think it was the year after he was hurt and I got him cheap due to injury and his "old" age. I had no clue what I was doing and was just drafting straight out of a magazine.

Terrell Davis.

Took Warner the bagboy in the final round. Bruce,manning,Harrison all broke out that year - Bruce reamerged actually. Dorsey and watters. Won the league and had the highest score one week out of 460,000 players on yahoo and got 100 dollar prize and it was a free league.

1990-- Dalton Hilliard and Christian Okoye at the 6-7 turn (could only find 6 of us to play that year). Walked away bragging about the 'dream backfield.' Hilliard blows out a knee, Okoye runs into Atwater week 1 on MNF and is never the same.

Users who are viewing this thread