What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your first ever draft pick (1 Viewer)

1988 or 1989

#2 overall pick: Randall Cunningham (got double points for rushing TDs)

1st overall pick that year was Joe Montana

Bad Moon Rison in one league then 1 year later, Kijana Carter (ouch!) in my other. Both keeper leagues still going strong.

I was a big Bengals player in Madden (Blake to Pickens) - We started our league in 1997 and I took Carl Pickens coming off his huge 1995-1996 seasons which were never to be repeated. Laid a complete egg for me...Scored the league by the Chicago Sun-Times from work every Monday and Tuesday AM of the fantasy season. My buddy must have walked into my work area no less than 5 times a morning asking what the damn scores were.

First year of a keeper league that's expanded twice and still rolling like a freight train.

Barry Sanders in 1994, followed by Andre Rison, had the 10th spot in the draft. I believe we didn't have a TE spot that year and I started Rison, Sharpe, and Ben Coates as my three WR/TEs. Pretty cool.

1989 - Eric Dickerson in Round 1, Ickey Woods Round 2. This was Woods 2nd year, and the year after Dickerson's last double digit TD performance...

:X

Still managed to come in second that year, after judicious drafting and waiver wire grabs for all 3 members of the Fun Bunch (Clark, Monk, and Sanders)!

Yatil Green as the first overall pick of my brand new expansion team.

Uhhh...he tore his ACL a few days ago rook. Welcome to the league!

1.01 Neal Anderson (Chi) - 1990. It was a 10 team league and with 2.10 I got the "other" Anderson. That be Otis Anderson (NYG)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bernie Kosar #4 overall 1989

next pick was ickey woods in 2nd and mark bavaro in 3rd.

Woods got hurt in week 2 and bavaro in week 7.

Started working on better drafting between week 7 and 8 for the 1990 season.

Matt Forte last year at 1.08

Would have gotten first instead of third in my league if I draft practically anyone else.

I don't know what is worse...

1. That all you addicts remember your first pick 20 years ago....

or

2. That I remember mine was Curtis Martin...

1993, 2nd overall pick, Barry Sanders (Steve Young went first). I followed up with Sterling Sharpe in the 2nd and Warren Moon in the 3rd... made the play-offs as #3 seed and actually went on to win our inaugural Stooper Bowl with the NOT-so-Hall-of-Fame backfield tandem of Derek Brown (NOS) and Leonard Russell (NEP).

Literally "cut and pasted" our newsletter together back then. :rolleyes:

Angry Beavers said:
username said:
Rovers said:
brownies19 said:
Bernie Kosar, 1987. Cleveland Free-Net Fantasy Football League, run by JJ Pudelski out of Case Western Reserve University on Message Boards, 1200 baud modems.
Wimp. We did manual calculations right out of the Monday morning paper.
I recall having to wait for the Wednesday paper for the final MNF box score when the game ran late which was about 60% of the time.
Wow - I was at CWRU then or shortly thereafter and we had another league with manual calculations..Stan Humphries - 1991 last pick of Round 1
:lmao: loving the names that are passing by :thumbup: I have to look at some of my old drafts now - what were totally reasonable picks at the time look totally comical in retrospect.NFL Primetime was must-see tv back then. If the highlight of a score wasn't shown you crossed your fingers and hoped your guy got the points. I remember one-time "needing" 3 touchdowns from Rod Bernstine (even though the game was well over) and was elated to see in the next day's paper that he got all 3 unknown Chargers touchdowns :rolleyes: -QG

thehornet said:
I only jumped into the fantasy stuff recently, but i joined a keeper league my first year and my first pick after keepers was Tatum Bell. :bag:
:thumbup: :shark: move :) That guy hoodwinked a ton of people - don't feel bad.-QG

I just started playing in 2004. Since it was Yahoo, I was able to locate my entire draft. It's bad, and full of homer picks.

1.08 - Deuce McCallister

2.03 - Chad Pennington (From what I remember, I thought he was going to be great that season, even though he wasn't ranked highly)

3.08 - Steve Smith (Car)

4.03 - Tony Gonzalez

5.08 - Carolina Defense (hahaha)

6.03 - Larry Fitzgerald

7.08 - Charlie Garner (Was he projected highly at any point in his career? No idea why I would have made this pick)

8.03 - Jake Delhomme (hahaha...although he was a solid fantasy QB that year. It was his best season statistically in Carolina)

9.08 - John Kasay (hahah)

10.03 - Deshaun Foster (hahaha)

11.08 - Joey Galloway

12.03 - Drew Bennett

13.08 - Jeff Garcia

14.08 - Donald Driver (underrated, even back then)

15.03 - Jacksonville Defense

For some reason, I finished last in the league.

We had a total points league my first year and I got #1 overall (YAY!). Don't remember the year (maybe 94?) But I took Emmitt straight from Fantasy Index and did terrible as he screwed up his neck diving over the pile for a TD against the Bears early in the season. Been hooked since.

Choke said:
I believe it was Gerald Riggs.
Gerald Riggs :bag: Got him in a trade the week after Don Beebe went off for 4 TDs (I had the first waiver priority). I had drafted only 1 RB (was running the draft and was so excited to get Thurman Thomas in round 2 I promptly forgot to draft another RB the entire time :bag). Guy in my league wanted to trade for my first waiver (to get Beebe) but didn't want to give up much. I looked at his team, knew he was griping about Riggs, saw that his stat line was 2 carries for 3 yards and that was all I needed to know that he was the goal-line back for Joe Gibbs - as :thumbup: a role as there was back then. Riggs went on to get like 10 TDs that year :shark: -QG

I just started playing in 2004. Since it was Yahoo, I was able to locate my entire draft. It's bad, and full of homer picks.1.08 - Deuce McCallister2.03 - Chad Pennington (From what I remember, I thought he was going to be great that season, even though he wasn't ranked highly)3.08 - Steve Smith (Car)4.03 - Tony Gonzalez5.08 - Carolina Defense (hahaha)6.03 - Larry Fitzgerald7.08 - Charlie Garner (Was he projected highly at any point in his career? No idea why I would have made this pick)8.03 - Jake Delhomme (hahaha...although he was a solid fantasy QB that year. It was his best season statistically in Carolina)9.08 - John Kasay (hahah)10.03 - Deshaun Foster (hahaha)11.08 - Joey Galloway12.03 - Drew Bennett13.08 - Jeff Garcia14.08 - Donald Driver (underrated, even back then)15.03 - Jacksonville DefenseFor some reason, I finished last in the league.
11 TDs in '02 for Charlie Garner.only 4 TDs in '03 but he moved on to Tampa for '04 with big things in store :thumbup: (3 games and 172 combined yards)-QG

Drafted Harrison and Warner in 2001 at the turn picks. Traded Harrison to my brother for Holt, and rode the Greatest Show on Turf to a title, along w/David Boston's 1,548 yds and 13 TDs :rolleyes:

My very first draft pick was John LeClair in 1999.

For football it was Ahman Green with the 3rd pick in 2002. Ended up trading him, Antwain Smith & Donte Stallworth for Priest Holmes, Jerome Bettis & Jerome Pathon.

1992 I believe and my first pick was Jerry Rice. I took Steve Young with my 3rd round pick and that was a money combo.

Roger Craig 1986.

Was in a TD only league.

he would run up and down the feild like crazy but Rathman would score from 1 yard out.

Good subject. 1995- we started a 6 team league. I had the 6th and 7th pick. All 5 people before me took a qb and I got Barry Sanders and Jerry Rice. Won the league easily.

Great thread, loving seeing the names -- and the fantasy legacy -- from the eighties and early 90s. Always been a devotee of the NFL, but caught on to fantasy comparatively late. Seeing people devoted to fantasy in the pencil-and-boxscore era is really cool.

First started in 2001.

Marshall Faulk went #1.

I snagged Edgerrin James with the #2 pick, who went down 5 or 6 games in with a torn ACL. While Dominic Rhodes and Anthony Thomas picked up the slack, it was really my QB and WR stable that helped put me in the money that year:

Jeff Garcia

Kevin Johnson

David Boston

My first introduction to fantasy football wasn't a draft, it was TSN's Salary Cap league. Every player had a dollar value, and you could assemble any roster you wanted, provided you could fit everyone under the cap. Players rose in value as more people added them, and dropped in value as people sold, so it added a stock market aspect to everything, too. One of my favorite games ever, and I still use the scoring system from it in my dynasty league because it's my favorite scoring system that I've played with. Sadly, I can't remember anyone from my team that first year (because teams keep getting shuffled in that system).I believe my first actual draft pick was Deuce McAllister.

7.08 - Charlie Garner (Was he projected highly at any point in his career? No idea why I would have made this pick)
He finished 7th, 10th, 17th, and 9th from 1999 to 2002. 2003 was a major down year for him (31st), but it wasn't completely unreasonable to expect him to rebound in Tampa Bay in 2004.

1995 - Kijana Carter :rolleyes:

I'd like to think that I've since learned to not pick rookies in the 1st round.

E

Users who are viewing this thread