What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Steve Smith injury (2 Viewers)

Is there a reason behind the Colbert being inactive thing? I can't see why they would keep a high draft pick off the roster. Is Prohl that much better? That guy never really showed me much.
They only had 4 active WR's last night. Proel was the third, and I think that is mainly due to his experience. Hankton was the 4th WR and he is very good on special teams, so Colbert sat. I'm sure Colbert will be active next week, and possibly Eugene Baker as well (for punt returns).

Depending on the severity of the break and where the break occurred he may only be out 4-6 weeks or so, if surgery isn't required. The Fibula is the non weight-bearing bone in the leg. Keep in mind, Travis Henry played with a hairline fracture of his fibula last year.

By no means am I comparing the two injuries, as I believe Smith's to be the more serious injury. But, if no surgery is required and the break isn't very close to the ankle, I think Smith could be back before the mid-point of the season, if not a little earlier. The Panther's have an early BYE so that's one extra week of healing that Smith owners wouldn't have had him for anyway.

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

Figures, Alexander owners with their hundred yard days and 8 tds get a bone bruise and I get this.
could be worse, an owner in my league has Alexander, Steve Smith and Charles Rogers... :shock:

Depending on the severity of the break and where the break occurred he may only be out 4-6 weeks or so, if surgery isn't required. The Fibula is the non weight-bearing bone in the leg. Keep in mind, Travis Henry played with a hairline fracture of his fibula last year.

By no means am I comparing the two injuries, as I believe Smith's to be the more serious injury. But, if no surgery is required and the break isn't very close to the ankle, I think Smith could be back before the mid-point of the season, if not a little earlier. The Panther's have an early BYE so that's one extra week of healing that Smith owners wouldn't have had him for anyway.

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.
Not sure if I can afford to keep Smith on my roster. What is the general consensus about keeping Smith around. Any information on how long the injury will keep him out? If it was a 6 game injury I thnk I would keep him but I hate to carry dead weight for any length of time. The last couple of years I have done a lot of waiver scrolling early in the season. Not sure if I should jettison Smith right now (Waiver drafts are on Tuesday night) or wait until I hear more definitive news.

If it means anything, Fanball reported that he will be out a minimum of 1 month. That's as opposed to statements like "half a year", "the year", or "most of the season". In my experience, the media tends to over-play stuff, so I would take that as a good news story.In almost all leagues, you have a bench. Use it to keep someone who was probably your #1 WR to start the year (i.e. don't drop him until you know when he'll be back).

No word yet, but concencus seems to be:Colbert will move to the starting role; Prohel will remain in his role as WR#3 (which he was very good at with St. Louis BTW).My OPINION (with little to base it on except what little I have read):If an offense has roles, the old Carolina was:Smith = quick & fast receiver who ran good routes & had good handsMuhammed = bigger, slower receiver who was a good blockerProhel = 3rd receiver who had good hands, but average everything else.The knock on Colbert is that he does not have good speed, but runs good routes and has good hands - in other words, just like Prohel.Now, if I were the coach, I would move Colbert into Smith's role in the offense. Muhammed is not fast enough to take that role, and Colbert is not big enough to take Muhammed's role.However, from a pass distribution, I would think that Muhammed would get many more looks than Colebert, and Colebert (because he lacks the speed of Smith) won't put up nearly as many yards simply because he won't be able to break the big plays as often.That's my opinion.. take it for what it's worth.

Pat Yasinskas, of the Charlotte Observer, reports Carolina Panthers WR Steve Smith (broken left fibula) underwent surgery Tuesday, Sept. 14, on his broken left leg. He's going to miss a significant part of the 2004 season, but head coach John Fox noted he is not out for the year ... at least not right now. "He's not out for the season, but anything after that or short of that, I don't know," Fox said. "But it's not season ending at this point." Players with similar injuries have generally missed eight to 12 weeks of action.

Users who are viewing this thread