What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**** OFFICIAL **** LOST - The TV Series (5 Viewers)

I also think, it's far too convenient for Michael to come stumbling out of the jungle right into Jack and Kate's laps as they're at the "line in the sand" clearing.
Yeah, that hardly ever happens on the island? :rolleyes: :lmao:
:confused: Maybe I wasn't clear. From your previous posts, I think you and I may be on the same page, to some degree.

Michael shows up where Jack and Kate are waiting to try to make an exchange for Walt and Michael shows up. From the previews, it's obvious that he wants to launch an assault on them because he knows where they are and that they're "barely armed".

My guess is, Michael's been allowed to see certain things or he's been caught and drugged or something.
People are constantly "coincidentally" running into each other at opportune moments on the island. I don't put any particular weight on this instance.Michael doesn't strike me as the sharpest tool in the shed. He ran off alone for Christ's sake, so there's not a lot of consistency there. Whether or not there is even an assault on the others (again, its tough to get people to make a sign with rocks, so I'm not sure how the Army recruitment is going) is still in question, let alone the outcome.

I don't think Michael has been caught or drugged. I could be wrong, but that doesn't seem to be their M.O. He may have seen something that leads him to believe he knows their strengths/capabilities, but my bet is he is misinterpreting what he saw.
I don't think he was caught or drugged either. Too :tinfoilhat: for me. I think he was spying on the others from a hidden location and when he heard Jack yelling he decided to make a break for it. After waiting until night fall for the others to go to sleep or when he knew the others would not see him. Or it could just be a coincidence. But, I doubt a guy running through the forest with a torch is going to be finding anyone without them knowing it.Also, did anyone else notice what looked like a large black rock behind Jack and Kate when they reached the "line in the sand" at the clearing? Or was that just me?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Walt dies as well. He's too old for the part now, and that can be the big dramatic way they close the season.
I heard that Walt really sprouted up since we last say him. He looks like a young man and not a kid.I don't know if that would be a reason to write him out. After all this is a weird island.

Remember in island time he's only been gone a month or so.
Re-cast.

I think Walt dies as well. He's too old for the part now, and that can be the big dramatic way they close the season.
I heard that Walt really sprouted up since we last say him. He looks like a young man and not a kid.I don't know if that would be a reason to write him out. After all this is a weird island.

Remember in island time he's only been gone a month or so.
Re-cast.
Better than killing him off.

So do you all think the island actually has healing powers? How do you explain the fact that Shannon's asthma wasn't cured? Or Hurley's mental illness?
Valid points.Perhaps Locke's problem was cured by the jostling he took in the crash. Perhaps Rose's cancer just went into remission naturally, and perhaps Sun is pregnant because she slept with someone else while Jin was out rafting.

So do you all think the island actually has healing powers? How do you explain the fact that Shannon's asthma wasn't cured? Or Hurley's mental illness?
Valid points.Perhaps Locke's problem was cured by the jostling he took in the crash. Perhaps Rose's cancer just went into remission naturally, and perhaps Sun is pregnant because she slept with someone else while Jin was out rafting.
i tend to think that Locke's "handicap" was psychosomatic. he has some block that affected him. Rose's cancer may be in remission but that she simply feels better is perhaps enough. I don't put much stock in her own diagnostic abilities, quite frankly. Again, that psychosomatic thing which can lead folks astray in thinking.The one that I can't put my finger on is the Jin pregnancy. I don't think it was Jin being infertile but rather Sun firing blanks. That's what I took the doctor's point being somehow. Maybe he managed to fire a live round after all?

Anyone think that little Aaron's health concerns are tied to the drugs that Ethan and the Others might have pumped into her system? Claire might be over-reacting, as new mothers are apt to do, but knowing that they had designs for him and that he has had minor health issues is curious to me...

The one that I can't put my finger on is the Jin pregnancy. I don't think it was Jin being infertile but rather Sun firing blanks. That's what I took the doctor's point being somehow. Maybe he managed to fire a live round after all?
:confused: Jin is a boy and Sun is a girl.

I think it was pretty clear that Jin was the one firing blanks while Sun's reproductive system was fine. Hence, my thought that she could've slept with another on the island and that got her pregnant.

The one that I can't put my finger on is the Jin pregnancy. I don't think it was Jin being infertile but rather Sun firing blanks. That's what I took the doctor's point being somehow. Maybe he managed to fire a live round after all?
Or maybe he's not the father.

I think it was pretty clear that Jin was the one firing blanks while Sun's reproductive system was fine. Hence, my thought that she could've slept with another on the island and that got her pregnant.
What about Charlie? Was she unconscious when he abducted her? I can't remember.

I thought that whole abduction thing took like 30 seconds or so.

If she did sleep with someone else on the island (IMO I don't think she did) it would have been Michael.

If she did sleep with someone else on the island (IMO I don't think she did) it would have been Michael.
He was out on the raft too though. If find him an unlikely canidate.I think she boned Frogurt.

Who knows what was causing his infertility. Maybe his tighty-whiteys were too tight and now that he's only got 1 pair, the elastic is wearing out and his swimmers are improving.It's certainly possible that the guy could've shot 1 mark spitz amongst all the doggie-paddlers. Haven't you guys ever heard stories of couples being told they'll never have children and then they do? Doesn't seem that crazy.

I think shannon's asthma may have been a crutch. She acted like a spoiled kid, perhaps she created problems for herself too. Perhaps she didn't have asthma at all and that's why it didn't improve on the island.The magical healing powers of the island also explain why everyone doesn't have diarrhea. All that fruit and no Cottonelle, oy vey!

I always mix up their names for whatever reason. Anyway, I think Jin is the father. While she appeared to have some romantic feelings for her tutor/hotel heir, I just don't think she slept with him. I think she's surprised by her pregnancy, perhaps, because she thought she was infertile. Maybe she didn't get the doctor's gist like we did?

I always mix up their names for whatever reason. Anyway, I think Jin is the father. While she appeared to have some romantic feelings for her tutor/hotel heir, I just don't think she slept with him. I think she's surprised by her pregnancy, perhaps, because she thought she was infertile. Maybe she didn't get the doctor's gist like we did?
I agree with you although I can't help but wonder about the pregnancy test. Most people don't carry one of these unless they have good reason. She knew there was one on the plane...

So do you all think the island actually has healing powers?  How do you explain the fact that Shannon's asthma wasn't cured?  Or Hurley's mental illness?
I think shannon's asthma may have been a crutch. She acted like a spoiled kid, perhaps she created problems for herself too. Perhaps she didn't have asthma at all and that's why it didn't improve on the island.The magical healing powers of the island also explain why everyone doesn't have diarrhea. All that fruit and no Cottonelle, oy vey!
Shannon didn't have any asthma attacks on the island, did she? Early on, she was having trouble breathing and they tortured Sawyer, but he didn't have an inhaler. After that, Shannon did not have any breathing problems, so I am not sure how someone could say that her asthma wasn't cured.As to Hurley, I am still in the hold out camp that the island Dave was brought on by the island, not the same as the institution Dave which was manifested by Hurley himself. And lest someone misinterpret what I am saying, yes I do think that Dave was Hurley's imaginary friend and not real.

I am still waiting for Hulk to give me more info on the Dave thing from the podcast to see if I am completely off base or not.

All that said, to be honest, I am not sure what the "healing power" really is, but I think we have seen 3 cases of it occuring and an acknowlegement from Rose and Locke (and thus the writers) in the last episode that it does exist. That said, the marshall still died as did others in the plane crash, so it doesn't appear to instantaneously heal traumatic wounds. I have a thought, what if the healing is only for conditions that would be considered as a body not working correctly, i.e. puts cancer cells into remission but doesn't heal internal injuries due to gunshot wounds?

Shannon didn't have any asthma attacks on the island, did she? Early on, she was having trouble breathing and they tortured Sawyer, but he didn't have an inhaler. After that, Shannon did not have any breathing problems, so I am not sure how someone could say that her asthma wasn't cured.As to Hurley, I am still in the hold out camp that the island Dave was brought on by the island, not the same as the institution Dave which was manifested by Hurley himself. And lest someone misinterpret what I am saying, yes I do think that Dave was Hurley's imaginary friend and not real.

I am still waiting for Hulk to give me more info on the Dave thing from the podcast to see if I am completely off base or not.

All that said, to be honest, I am not sure what the "healing power" really is, but I think we have seen 3 cases of it occuring and an acknowlegement from Rose and Locke (and thus the writers) in the last episode that it does exist. That said, the marshall still died as did others in the plane crash, so it doesn't appear to instantaneously heal traumatic wounds. I have a thought, what if the healing is only for conditions that would be considered as a body not working correctly, i.e. puts cancer cells into remission but doesn't heal internal injuries due to gunshot wounds?
I thought she did when Boone died and Jack talked her thru it.

I agree with you although I can't help but wonder about the pregnancy test. Most people don't carry one of these unless they have good reason. She knew there was one on the plane...
I thought she just asked Sawyer if he had one.
i think she implied that she knew there was one. to that i say "so what?". she could have suspected that she was pregnant before the flight. if anything, it points to a less than mystical experience for some survivors.

Not sure on the pregnancy test one way or the other, but there were two interesting things about it:1. The pregnancy test said Widmore Laboratories on it. Widmore was the name of the construction company that was on the building where Charlie went when his band recorded that baby commercial/video. The key thing was that in one of the podcasts or articles, a writer or producer of the show said to pay attention to the name on the building. Anyway, not sure who Widmore is, but maybe they built the bunkers for Dharma and maybe Michael worked for them?

2. Kate laid out that line about why in the world a pregnancy test was on the plane and Sun kind of deflected that and never answered. It reminded me of Libby deflecting the question from Hurley about whether or not they had met before and the discussion between Locke and Rose about the healing. There are lines like that littered throughout the show where the writers seem to put a real big emphasis on what was said almost as a precursor to a future event or to answer an outstanding issue.

I still think Jin knocked up Sun because she told her tutor that she couldn't when they were about to kiss.

Not sure about that. I thought that the one Jack talked her thru was her first attack before they went after Sawyer.Oh well, again, the "healing" may be specific in nature. When Isaac talked about certain places, he mentioned that he could not help Rose there and if he is really a healer (in the show reality ;) ) then the island may help some more than others.

I think one thing is for certain, the show's writers went out of their way with the Rose/Locke discussion and the rest of the episode to tell us that Rose, Locke and Jin (from before) were healed by the island or something on it.

I doubt there is any "magic healing" powers of the island. More likely its the experimental electro-magnet that has some type of effect on things.

Not sure about that. I thought that the one Jack talked her thru was her first attack before they went after Sawyer.Oh well, again, the "healing" may be specific in nature. When Isaac talked about certain places, he mentioned that he could not help Rose there and if he is really a healer (in the show reality ;) ) then the island may help some more than others.

I think one thing is for certain, the show's writers went out of their way with the Rose/Locke discussion and the rest of the episode to tell us that Rose, Locke and Jin (from before) were healed by the island or something on it.
Why have both Rose and Locke kept their healing secret from the other castaways, and even from each other? What's the motivation for that? Why didn't Rose say something when she saw Locke walking around and she knew he had been in a wheelchair?

Why have both Rose and Locke kept their healing secret from the other castaways, and even from each other? What's the motivation for that? Why didn't Rose say something when she saw Locke walking around and she knew he had been in a wheelchair?
These are the two that became the faithful of the island from the start. They are the believers amongst the heretics. They are waiting for others to convert before they tell their stories. :shrug:

Or something....

I doubt there is any "magic healing" powers of the island. More likely its the experimental electro-magnet that has some type of effect on things.
Oh sorry, you are correct, it has been scientifically proven that experimental electro-magnets can cure quadrapelegics and terminal cancers. Too bad no one told Christopher Reeve that. ;)

I doubt there is any "magic healing" powers of the island.  More likely its the experimental electro-magnet that has some type of effect on things.
Oh sorry, you are correct, it has been scientifically proven that experimental electro-magnets can cure quadrapelegics and terminal cancers. Too bad no one told Christopher Reeve that. ;)
We never saw any doctor actually tell Rose she had cancer, did we? Maybe she never had it in the first place.

We never saw any doctor actually tell Rose she had cancer, did we? Maybe she never had it in the first place.
This is true. I mean, she could be a con artist like Sawyer. "I have cancer!" is the oldest scam in the book. the Onion AV Club's "the underrated list"..."The evidence: The fourth episode, "Charlie Has Cancer," cements the show's ability to mine serious issues (like, say, cancer) to genuinely funny ends. Upon learning that Charlie may have cancer, everyone, even Charlie, uses the information to suit their own agendas. The best line in the episode is delivered by Day, with a sarcastic eye-roll: "I found out I might have cancer, so, oooooh, scary."

Good question. As buckychudd mentioned above, they both have a bit of faith that others don't.I almost think it is more to do with personality as well. Locke has hidden numerous things (Dad not being dead, the hatch), so him not telling people is in his character and Rose also hid the fact that she wasn't healed from Bernard. Throw in the fact that if you were mysteriously healed, you might not want to say anything that could in any way cause you to not be healed anymore. Remember when Locke starting losing feeling in his legs (he didn't notice the shrapnel in his leg when they tried to bust open the hatch) and he was yelling at the island that he did everything it asked, etc? He in particular would think he was risking his legs if he did tell other people.

Good question. As buckychudd mentioned above, they both have a bit of faith that others don't.

I almost think it is more to do with personality as well. Locke has hidden numerous things (Dad not being dead, the hatch), so him not telling people is in his character and Rose also hid the fact that she wasn't healed from Bernard. Throw in the fact that if you were mysteriously healed, you might not want to say anything that could in any way cause you to not be healed anymore. Remember when Locke starting losing feeling in his legs (he didn't notice the shrapnel in his leg when they tried to bust open the hatch) and he was yelling at the island that he did everything it asked, etc? He in particular would think he was risking his legs if he did tell other people.
This doesn't explain why Rose kept Locke's disability a secret.

1. The pregnancy test said Widmore Laboratories on it. Widmore was the name of the construction company that was on the building where Charlie went when his band recorded that baby commercial/video. The key thing was that in one of the podcasts or articles, a writer or producer of the show said to pay attention to the name on the building. Anyway, not sure who Widmore is, but maybe they built the bunkers for Dharma and maybe Michael worked for them?
Widmore also appears on Henry Gale's balloon.Lost-media

LostPedia

Shannon didn't have any asthma attacks on the island, did she? Early on, she was having trouble breathing and they tortured Sawyer, but he didn't have an inhaler. After that, Shannon did not have any breathing problems, so I am not sure how someone could say that her asthma wasn't cured.
Im fairly certain Sun ground up some plants/herbs and that was what cured Shannon.

:thumbdown: I still don't think that the plane crash took place in 2004. We'll see eventually, I'm sure.
Did you see this post from a while back?
Calendar

This calendar was on the wall of the train station in "What Kate Did". I won't repeat my analysis, but rather give people a chance to draw their own conclusions from it. You can figure out which 3 months they are based on the number of days, and you can figure out the possible years its from based on the which dates fall on which days.

Poster

The poster in this picture (Michael flashback when he was injured, and Walt was 2 or 3. Occupational Therapy Month 2000. Either it was a mistake, or it was intentional.

I tend to think this is intentional. The writers/producers have said in interviews that the set people are extra vigilant, and they need to make certain that everything is correct in every scene. Also, in a different interview, they said that although people assumed the show takes place in present time, that may or may not be true, as the show hasn't revealed any timeline at all. I have no idea where those interviews are though :shrug:

Anyway, all of this leads me to believe that the show is set in the not too distant future, not present time.

ETA: it appears LOST media is temporarily down. :hot:
Here is some more date-related info. Im not sure if they provide any evidence for either side of this, though.Right before Kate tries to leave the farm in Australia, we see jars labeled 2003. Also, although lost-media doesnt have a screen-cap of it, the shelf below the one in the picture has jars with 2004 on the label [i just watched Tabula Rasa (1x03)]. Kate was on the farm for almost 3 months before she tried to "escape". Although its not explicitly said, we're led to believe that she got on the plane days later.

The letter Sawyer writes to the real Saywer was in a Bicentennial envelope. Assuming he was 7 when he wrote the letter, he would be 35 in 2004 or 38/39 in 2007/2008. The gap in age really isnt large enough to notice though, so this probably doesnt help either side of the argument.

So while those two pieces of info dont tell us very much, I stumbled across this post from another board:

http://lost.cubit.net/pics/lostPills.jpg?P...279e849c469987b

People are always looking for items with dates on them to help determine the timeline of LOST. After enlarging an image of a pill bottle, it appears that Christian's prescription was filled in 9/05/2004 or 9/08/2004, which would mean Flight 815 left sometime after those dates.

Sledgeweb's homepage

Shannon says she is 20 at the island, and we do know that Boone is 2 years older.

(based at the information we got that boones mom and shannons dad married when shannon was 8 and boone was 10) And we could investigate some more..This ID shows that Boone is born 1981.

http://lost.cubit.net/pics/booneLicense.jp...279e849c469987b

So if boone is born october 1981, and is in fact 22 years old, that makes us 2003-2004, depending on when the plane aired.
Edit to give credit where credit is due. The first two pieces of info [the farm and the letter] were not found by me, but were mentioned in the thread refrenced above. [Although I did watch Tabula Rasa and found the lost-media screen-caps.]

Good question. As buckychudd mentioned above, they both have a bit of faith that others don't.

I almost think it is more to do with personality as well. Locke has hidden numerous things (Dad not being dead, the hatch), so him not telling people is in his character and Rose also hid the fact that she wasn't healed from Bernard. Throw in the fact that if you were mysteriously healed, you might not want to say anything that could in any way cause you to not be healed anymore. Remember when Locke starting losing feeling in his legs (he didn't notice the shrapnel in his leg when they tried to bust open the hatch) and he was yelling at the island that he did everything it asked, etc? He in particular would think he was risking his legs if he did tell other people.
This doesn't explain why Rose kept Locke's disability a secret.
No it doesn't, but Locke and Rose have both kept secrets, so it isn't a stretch that Rose would keep his secret. She seems like a nice, considerate person and I could see her thinking that it is Locke's secret and if he doesn't want to tell people, then it isn't her place to tell other people for him.

Shannon didn't have any asthma attacks on the island, did she? Early on, she was having trouble breathing and they tortured Sawyer, but he didn't have an inhaler. After that, Shannon did not have any breathing problems, so I am not sure how someone could say that her asthma wasn't cured.
Im fairly certain Sun ground up some plants/herbs and that was what cured Shannon.
You are absolutely correct, I was really trying to mention that other than the early attack which got Sawyer tortured. We don't really know what Sun gave her, but since she understood Jack, she may have given Shannon something more of a relaxing herb rather than an asthma cure.Anyway, after that one time, Shannon didn't have another attack, so IMHO it is as reasonable to say the island cured her as it was to use her as an example of someone that wasn't cured by the island. Again, not trying to say she was cured at all, but that she isn't a good example of not getting cured.

I think you and I agreed a few pages back that we need to take dialogue to heart, i.e. the writers aren't trying to trick us, and in that vein, the writers told us in no uncertain terms that the island/something on the island healed Rose, Locke and very possibly Jin.

PodcastEnjoy it. Its 20 minutes long with 2 minutes of substance.
Wow, that kind of sucked.Anyway, they did say Dave was imagined, but I can't say that they blew away my thought that the imaginary Dave on the island was caused by the island "magic" that caused Jack to see his Dad, Kate/Sawyer to see the horse from Kate's past, etc.

The big reason I think that the imaginary Dave on the island wasn't just Hurley's psychosis (like the institution one) is because:

1. The Dave in the institution was Hurley trying to justify a reason to eat like a pig and escape.

2. The Dave on the island tried to get Hurley to jump to his death.

I don't know why, but I am just going to stick with my thought on Dave that the two Daves, while both imaginary, are caused by two different things for two completely different purposes.

So you've seen the creators stated that Dave was imagined and yet you disagree with them now. Gotcha.

Edit: Nevermind. You're debating the rationale for their fabrication. That's a relatively meaningless splicing of an unobtrusive back hair, is it not?

Last edited by a moderator:
You are absolutely correct, I was really trying to mention that other than the early attack which got Sawyer tortured. We don't really know what Sun gave her, but since she understood Jack, she may have given Shannon something more of a relaxing herb rather than an asthma cure.Anyway, after that one time, Shannon didn't have another attack, so IMHO it is as reasonable to say the island cured her as it was to use her as an example of someone that wasn't cured by the island. Again, not trying to say she was cured at all, but that she isn't a good example of not getting cured.

I think you and I agreed a few pages back that we need to take dialogue to heart, i.e. the writers aren't trying to trick us, and in that vein, the writers told us in no uncertain terms that the island/something on the island healed Rose, Locke and very possibly Jin.
That last line got me thinking that Marshall Faulk needs to go to this island to get rid of his ball cancer. ;)

So you've seen the creators stated that Dave was imagined and yet you disagree with them now. Gotcha.

Edit: Nevermind. You're debating the rationale for their fabrication. That's a relatively meaningless splicing of an unobtrusive back hair, is it not?
It is splicing hairs, but possibly not meaningless. I am just glad that someone finally realized that I believe that Dave is 100% imaginary.Anyway, it was just a thought that I had when it seemed like the island Dave was not acting like the institution Dave, i.e. trying to get Hurley to kill himself. I definitely think there is some sort of mind reading/image projection thing going on on the island, and so I lumped this in as a potential occurence as well.

Users who are viewing this thread