What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crock pot / Slow cooker recipes (4 Viewers)

Going to make a sweet & sour brisket in the crock pot for dinner tomorrow. Seems like it should take between 8-10 hours on low to cook.Question, bought a bunch of potatoes. Once rinsed, peeled, and quartered, can I just throw them on top of the brisket and let them cook there the entire time?
I wouldn't go longer than 8 hours on low on the pot or 4 hours on high.After that, they start to break down a bit. So if you're going 10 hours on the brisket. Don't throw them in until 2 hours into the cooking process.

Snowy day outside, so figured it was a good time to try a potato soup. I have never done one in the old crock pot, but I don't think there is much you can screw up with soup.

I have 8 potatoes--diced.

1 onion.

4-5 cups of water

2-3 tablespoons butter

3 chicken bouillon cubes

6 pieces cooked, crumbled bacon.

Salt/Pepper

I am going to add a couple cups of milk when we are 1/2 hour from serving to thicken it up.

I have two links of pre-cooked Polish Sausage I am debating about chopping up and throwing in there maybe an hour or so before it is ready to go.

We will see how it turns out.

Taking a shot at slow-cooked Al Pastor. Marinated 2.5 lbs of pork last night and just put it in the slow cooker layered with slices of fresh pineapple.

5 dried guajillo chiles

5 ancho chiles

1 c. distilled white vinegar

10 cloves garlic, roughly chopped

1/2 T. cumin

1/2 cup OJ

1/2 T. dried Mexican oregano

salt and pepper

1 medium white onion

achiote paste

Taking a shot at slow-cooked Al Pastor. Marinated 2.5 lbs of pork last night and just put it in the slow cooker layered with slices of fresh pineapple.5 dried guajillo chiles5 ancho chiles1 c. distilled white vinegar10 cloves garlic, roughly chopped1/2 T. cumin1/2 cup OJ1/2 T. dried Mexican oreganosalt and pepper1 medium white onionachiote paste
:blackdot:

Snowy day outside, so figured it was a good time to try a potato soup. I have never done one in the old crock pot, but I don't think there is much you can screw up with soup.I have 8 potatoes--diced.1 onion.4-5 cups of water2-3 tablespoons butter3 chicken bouillon cubes6 pieces cooked, crumbled bacon.Salt/PepperI am going to add a couple cups of milk when we are 1/2 hour from serving to thicken it up.I have two links of pre-cooked Polish Sausage I am debating about chopping up and throwing in there maybe an hour or so before it is ready to go.We will see how it turns out.
:blackdot: Add the sausage.

Snowy day outside, so figured it was a good time to try a potato soup. I have never done one in the old crock pot, but I don't think there is much you can screw up with soup.I have 8 potatoes--diced.1 onion.4-5 cups of water2-3 tablespoons butter3 chicken bouillon cubes6 pieces cooked, crumbled bacon.Salt/PepperI am going to add a couple cups of milk when we are 1/2 hour from serving to thicken it up.I have two links of pre-cooked Polish Sausage I am debating about chopping up and throwing in there maybe an hour or so before it is ready to go.We will see how it turns out.
How did it turn out? Looking for a good, easy potato soup.

:popcorn:

Taking a shot at slow-cooked Al Pastor. Marinated 2.5 lbs of pork last night and just put it in the slow cooker layered with slices of fresh pineapple.

5 dried guajillo chiles

5 ancho chiles

1 c. distilled white vinegar

10 cloves garlic, roughly chopped

1/2 T. cumin

1/2 cup OJ

1/2 T. dried Mexican oregano

salt and pepper

1 medium white onion

achiote paste
:blackdot:
These turned out pretty awesome. Will make again! Serve on corn tortilla with onion, cilantro and fresh lime juice. :thumbup:

I just found this thread. Thank God. Don't know how I missed it. I just made a potato soup yesterday. Pretty simple recipe and it turned out well. 6 potatoes--diced. I used redskin potatoes and peeled them,2 cups diced onion.5 cups of water1 tablespoon butter4 chicken bouillon cubes1/2 cup carrots1/2 cup celeryKosher salt/pepperPut all of the above in for 6 hours. I then added the following about a half hour before serving:12 oz can evaporated milk8 oz. package of shredded cheese (I used cheddar jack cheese) until melted3 pieces cooked, crumbled bacon.I am a huge potato soup fan and I'll be making this again.

Chicken

Teriyaki Sauce

Broccoli

Pineapples

Rice

I put chicken in, covered with teriyaki sauce, and then poured the pineapples (with juice) over that.

6 hours on low.

Pull chicken out, shred it, put it back in. Stir in with pineapple chunks.

Add in broccoli.

Continue on low for an hour.

Serve over rice.

I had a few people over for dinner, all were impressed. It was very good.

It turned out pretty good. I did add the sausage about 1 1/2 links about two hours before serving. I put the milk in about 45 minutes before I was planning on serving. Even then, I found it to be a little too watery, so I put about a 1/2 cup flour in and that actually thickened it up quite nicely. My wife said it was too thick, but I tend to like my soup thicker vs watery.Oh and like skillz receipe below, I topped each of the bowls of soup with shredded cheese and added more salt accordingly.I think this is a good starting receipe, but there is a lot of tinkering that can be done with it to improve it.

It turned out pretty good. I did add the sausage about 1 1/2 links about two hours before serving. I put the milk in about 45 minutes before I was planning on serving. Even then, I found it to be a little too watery, so I put about a 1/2 cup flour in and that actually thickened it up quite nicely. My wife said it was too thick, but I tend to like my soup thicker vs watery.Oh and like skillz receipe below, I topped each of the bowls of soup with shredded cheese and added more salt accordingly.I think this is a good starting receipe, but there is a lot of tinkering that can be done with it to improve it.
:thumbup: Maybe next time use a potato masher to get some more starch out. That should thicken it up.

So they don't make a full size crock like we all have, but x3?
I haven't seen one. My SIL got that for my Mom for X-mas a couple years back. I can't lie, I was expecting the greatest invention ever and then saw the the size of the actual pot. Not worth it.
You bastards just ruined my Christmas. I saw the picture and ran down the hall to show my wife. Didn't pick up on the size of them.

You guys with all of the teriyaki recipes... what brand of glaze are you using?

I haven't made a single homemade teriyaki dish yet that hasn't been disappointing.

You guys with all of the teriyaki recipes... what brand of glaze are you using?I haven't made a single homemade teriyaki dish yet that hasn't been disappointing.
Yup....that's the problem. Why does teriyaki sauce at a restaurant taste so much better than the store bought crap?

I haven't made a single homemade teriyaki dish yet that hasn't been disappointing.
Yup....that's the problem. Why does teriyaki sauce at a restaurant taste so much better than the store bought crap?
It's crazy.The General Tso glaze that I LOVE is by Iron Chef. But Iron Chef's teriyaki glaze was a huge letdown.

'Raider Nation said:
'John Bender said:
'Raider Nation said:

It's crazy.The General Tso glaze that I LOVE is by Iron Chef. But Iron Chef's teriyaki glaze was a huge letdown.
I decided to go with an actual sauce, not a glaze.I figured it would make it a bit too salty, but then the pineapple juice helped eliminate that. I think something else could be added to offset, but not sure what yet. I might go with a little bit of maple syrup.

Ive quit using store bought teriyakis and things for stir frys and rice dishes (though, not sure about a crock pot recipe use yet).

It started with my chicken fried rice "sauce" that was about 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/3 cup chicken stock, 1 tbsp brown sugar (or more to taste if you like it sweeter), ground ginger (again to taste...no clue how much I put in there), garlic (3 pressed cloves...or a tsp of the jarred chop stuff if I use that), and about 7 turns of the pepper mill.

Experiment with it to see how much more/less soy sauce you want for the salty part of it.

Works well with the chicken fried rice...

Any good recommendations on a new crock pot? Made chicken chili last night in ours. Emptied it, let it cool overnight. Went to soak it this morning and the ceramic cracked (it is over 13 years old).

Any good recommendations on a new crock pot? Made chicken chili last night in ours. Emptied it, let it cool overnight. Went to soak it this morning and the ceramic cracked (it is over 13 years old).
My GF got me this one and I love it.

Make cooking dinner easier with this 6-quart slow cooker. The gasket on the lid and the large full-grip handles make it easy and safe to transport stews, soups and more.

Product Features

[*]6-quart removable stoneware liner provides ample room and is dishwasher-safe

[*]Choose from 3 different ways to cook, including manual, programmable timer and temperature probe

[*]Temperature probe ensures that the cooker automatically shifts to the warm setting once food is done so dinner is ready when you are

[*]Gasket on the lid and large full-grip handles ensure easy and safe transportation
~

Last edited by a moderator:
It's that time of week again!

Chicken Breasts

1/2 cup honey

1/2 cup orange juice

3 TBsp Lemon Juice (or one whole lemon, punctured)

2 onions, quartered

All in the pot, going for a few hours, pull out and shred, throw it back in for an hour or two more.

I can't decide what veggie to serve it with. Thinking right now of serving over rice, with some squash and zucchini...

Making this for Thxgiving:

Crockpot Bacon Cheese Potatoes

Ingredients

[*]1/4 pound bacon, diced – I bake it first in the oven so that it is “done” and browned then I dice it and place in the crock pot.

[*]2 medium onions, thinly sliced

[*]4 medium potatoes, thinly sliced (or if you use a new potato or Yukon gold then halve)

[*]1/2 pound cheddar cheese, thinly sliced (shredded is fine)

[*]salt and pepper

[*]butter

[*]Green Onions (optional)

Instructions

[*]Line crockpot with foil, leaving enough to cover the potatoes when finished – this will help to not stick and to steam the potatoes – also to keep them from getting discolored or mushy.

[*]Layer half each of the bacon, onions and potatoes in the crockpot.

[*]Season to taste with salt and pepper and dot with (real) butter.

[*]Repeat layers of bacon, onions, potatoes and cheese. Dot with butter.

[*]Cover with remaining foil.

[*]Cover and cook on low for up to 6 hours (check at 4 hours – depending on your crock pot).

[*]Add cheese for the last 20 – 30 minutes and enjoy!

Believe it or not but you really get what you pay for with crock pots. If you get the Costco model, you are going to boil your food opposed to slow cook it. Spend a little bit more money and you will be amazed at the food that comes out of it. This is the model I use and couldn't be happierhttp://www.cuisinart.com/products/slow_cookers_rice_cookers/psc-650.html

Made this yesterday for my woman. I'm not a fan of buffalo chicken ( :unsure: ), but she loved it:4 Chicken breasts1 Large bottle of Franks1 Packet of Ranch Dressing mix4 Tablespoons butterChicken breasts and Franks go in, drizzle the Ranch packet over the chicken, cook on high 6-7 hours if frozen, or 3-4 on low if fresh. During the last hour, shred the chicken, add the butter and serve over a roll that can either sop up the sauce, or toasted.She drizzled some more ranch dressing on the bun :excited: and she loved it. Very simple.
Going to give this a shot tonight :popcorn:

My GF got me this one and I love it.

Make cooking dinner easier with this 6-quart slow cooker. The gasket on the lid and the large full-grip handles make it easy and safe to transport stews, soups and more.

Product Features

[*]6-quart removable stoneware liner provides ample room and is dishwasher-safe

[*]Choose from 3 different ways to cook, including manual, programmable timer and temperature probe

[*]Temperature probe ensures that the cooker automatically shifts to the warm setting once food is done so dinner is ready when you are

[*]Gasket on the lid and large full-grip handles ensure easy and safe transportation
~
i see that link isnt working now. here is a new link

http://findnsave.adn.com/Product/957223/Hamilton-Beach-Set-and-Forget-Stay-or-Go-6-Quart-Slow-Cooker-Stainless-Steel

Made this yesterday for my woman. I'm not a fan of buffalo chicken ( :unsure: ), but she loved it:

4 Chicken breasts

1 Large bottle of Franks

1 Packet of Ranch Dressing mix

4 Tablespoons butter

Chicken breasts and Franks go in, drizzle the Ranch packet over the chicken, cook on high 6-7 hours if frozen, or 3-4 on low if fresh. During the last hour, shred the chicken, add the butter and serve over a roll that can either sop up the sauce, or toasted.

She drizzled some more ranch dressing on the bun :excited: and she loved it. Very simple.
Went with 5 big breasts instead of 4. Added about 20-25 Pickled Jalepeno rings to the mix. Will be going for 4 hours by the time I get home (5pm)... Hope it isnt overdone. :popcorn: EDIT:

Finished!

Wasn't overcooked... breasts flaked nicely. Sauce was awesome. Jalepenos added a nice touch, as did the slice of Provolone melted over the top.

Will make again.

'Skylord said:
Believe it or not but you really get what you pay for with crock pots. If you get the Costco model, you are going to boil your food opposed to slow cook it. Spend a little bit more money and you will be amazed at the food that comes out of it. This is the model I use and couldn't be happierhttp://www.cuisinart.com/products/slow_cookers_rice_cookers/psc-650.html
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but what feature allows the Cuisinart to slow cook vs boil? Doesn't it just depend on how much liquid you put into the pot? Or does the size/shape of the Cuisinart somehow keep the liquid on the bottom?

'[icon] said:
'[icon] said:
Made this yesterday for my woman. I'm not a fan of buffalo chicken ( :unsure: ), but she loved it:

4 Chicken breasts

1 Large bottle of Franks

1 Packet of Ranch Dressing mix

4 Tablespoons butter

Chicken breasts and Franks go in, drizzle the Ranch packet over the chicken, cook on high 6-7 hours if frozen, or 3-4 on low if fresh. During the last hour, shred the chicken, add the butter and serve over a roll that can either sop up the sauce, or toasted.

She drizzled some more ranch dressing on the bun :excited: and she loved it. Very simple.
Went with 5 big breasts instead of 4. Added about 20-25 Pickled Jalepeno rings to the mix. Will be going for 4 hours by the time I get home (5pm)... Hope it isnt overdone. :popcorn: EDIT:

Finished!

Wasn't overcooked... breasts flaked nicely. Sauce was awesome. Jalepenos added a nice touch, as did the slice of Provolone melted over the top.

Will make again.
:thumbup:

'Skylord said:
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but what feature allows the Cuisinart to slow cook vs boil? Doesn't it just depend on how much liquid you put into the pot? Or does the size/shape of the Cuisinart somehow keep the liquid on the bottom?
Not a setting. Cheap cookers just don't cook well and everything ends up tasting the same.

Italian Chicken

Chicken Breasts

Chili Powder

Garlic Powder

Black Pepper

Italian Dressing

Just a little hint of sriracha sauce - that stuff adds to everything.

Trying the Italian Beef sandwiches today. I figure I might as well enjoy some good food while watching the Lions come up with yet another creative way to lose a football game.

Making some pork carnitas today. Simple man's 2 minute prep time version.

3 lb pork butt/shoulder

about a cup of orange juice

packet of carnitas or taco seasoning

liquid smoke (i like to go 2 tablespoons)

poor over pork

sprinkle down with some sea salt

Making some pork carnitas today. Simple man's 2 minute prep time version.3 lb pork butt/shoulderabout a cup of orange juicepacket of carnitas or taco seasoningliquid smoke (i like to go 2 tablespoons)poor over pork sprinkle down with some sea salt
Treat me like I am shuke. Then do you just cook it on low for 8 hours?I did a 4 pound shoulder, apple juice and liquid smoke overnight - shredded it this am with sweet baby rays... great eats perfect start to the 1 pm games and feeds everyone - so easy and so good.

Making some pork carnitas today. Simple man's 2 minute prep time version.3 lb pork butt/shoulderabout a cup of orange juicepacket of carnitas or taco seasoningliquid smoke (i like to go 2 tablespoons)poor over pork sprinkle down with some sea salt
Treat me like I am shuke. Then do you just cook it on low for 8 hours?I did a 4 pound shoulder, apple juice and liquid smoke overnight - shredded it this am with sweet baby rays... great eats perfect start to the 1 pm games and feeds everyone - so easy and so good.
Normally, yes. Low and slow is always best. Because I got a late start I went high for 4, then Low until ready. Probably be about 1-2 hours. You did yours the right way. Apple cider, smoke and some sea salt is my favorite. Would have done it today but the wife is feeling spicy.

Made a simple Pot Roast yesterday.

3.5 lb Chuck Roast

2 cans of Cream of Mushroom soup

1 pkg. onion soup mix

1.5 cups water

I had about a quarter of an onion in the fridge and threw that in too.

5 hours on high. Didn't have the time for a low cook but probably will do 8 hrs. on low next time.

Used some flour to thicken gravy, served over egg noodles with asparagus on the side. :thumbup:

Made this yesterday for my woman. I'm not a fan of buffalo chicken ( :unsure: ), but she loved it:4 Chicken breasts1 Large bottle of Franks1 Packet of Ranch Dressing mix4 Tablespoons butterChicken breasts and Franks go in, drizzle the Ranch packet over the chicken, cook on high 6-7 hours if frozen, or 3-4 on low if fresh. During the last hour, shred the chicken, add the butter and serve over a roll that can either sop up the sauce, or toasted.She drizzled some more ranch dressing on the bun :excited: and she loved it. Very simple.
Where's the cream cheese???????????????????????????????Buffalo Chicken has to have cream cheese :boxing:

Lazy Man's Italian Beef3-5 lb Chuck RoastJar of Hot GiardineraVidalia OnionsDash of Olive OilCrock PotSlice onions 1/2 thick and Layer bottom of crock pot. Pour in Giardinera and dash of Olive Oil. Place roast on top. Cook on low for 8 hours. Shred meat removing any fat. The broth can be used to dip your sandwich in. Serve on sturdy toasted bun. Eat.
dot

Right now I have Italian herb chicken in there.4 big chicken breasts and a pack of mushrooms.I mixed a small can of tomato paste w 2 small cans of diced tomatoes, garlic, onions, oregano, basil, salt and pepper.It's looking and smelling great. Will toss it with some pasta. Bingo bango
Don't walk, run to the store to buy the ingredients for this.Wow this is good
Made this yesterday for my family of 5. Started at 9 am - by 3 pm the chicken was falling apart - left it on "warm" for the final 2 hours.The perfect Sunday football meal. Easy and very good. All 3 of my picky kids couldn't get enough of it. There were no leftovers.Thanks for posting the recipe.

Right now I have Italian herb chicken in there.4 big chicken breasts and a pack of mushrooms.I mixed a small can of tomato paste w 2 small cans of diced tomatoes, garlic, onions, oregano, basil, salt and pepper.It's looking and smelling great. Will toss it with some pasta. Bingo bango
Made this yesterday for my family of 5. Started at 9 am - by 3 pm the chicken was falling apart - left it on "warm" for the final 2 hours.The perfect Sunday football meal. Easy and very good. All 3 of my picky kids couldn't get enough of it. There were no leftovers.Thanks for posting the recipe.
Approximate amount of: garlic, onions, oregano, basil, salt and pepper?

The small can of tomato paste I bought came with garlic & oregano in it.The 2 small cans of diced tomatos I bought were also flavored with garlic & oregano.I still chopped up about 3-4 cloves of garlic and threw that in.I chopped up one medium size yellow onion and threw that in.One pack of sliced regular mushrooms.Pinch of basil, salt & pepper.Came out really good and the chicken was not dried out.

The small can of tomato paste I bought came with garlic & oregano in it.The 2 small cans of diced tomatos I bought were also flavored with garlic & oregano.I still chopped up about 3-4 cloves of garlic and threw that in.I chopped up one medium size yellow onion and threw that in.One pack of sliced regular mushrooms.Pinch of basil, salt & pepper.Came out really good and the chicken was not dried out.
This seems like it would be great.Anyone ever throw pasta into the crockpot with something like this? Seems like it should be able to cook it if it is liquidy enough, just not sure on how long.Would be great to come home after work, dump in a box of penne, let it cook for another 15-30 mins or whatever, and it be a full meal already done.

Users who are viewing this thread