What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crock pot / Slow cooker recipes (3 Viewers)

I agree that LMPP is the king of the recipes in this thread.Here's my "go-to" - Beef Stew:8 hours on low with following ingredients:4.5 lbs. stew beef (cubed)2 onions6 red potatoes (cubed)1 bag small carrots2 McCormick beef stew seasoning packets2 1/2 cups water1 tsp Garlic powder (shaken on top)Put all veggies and beef in slow cooker. Mix seasoning mix with water (mix is thoroughly). Pour into slow cooker. Shake garlic powder on top.For those wondering, the beef itself will generate all the fluids you want/need with this. It's amazing.
Sent this one home. Thanks for the recipe.

I agree that LMPP is the king of the recipes in this thread.Here's my "go-to" - Beef Stew:8 hours on low with following ingredients:4.5 lbs. stew beef (cubed)2 onions6 red potatoes (cubed)1 bag small carrots2 McCormick beef stew seasoning packets2 1/2 cups water1 tsp Garlic powder (shaken on top)Put all veggies and beef in slow cooker. Mix seasoning mix with water (mix is thoroughly). Pour into slow cooker. Shake garlic powder on top.For those wondering, the beef itself will generate all the fluids you want/need with this. It's amazing.
:blackdot:

First time using a slow cooker. After seeing this thread, I had to buy one. Got the lazy man's pulled pork going now, seasoned with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Should be ready for the game tonight.Thanks to all who have contributed recipes and tips. Can't wait to try them out :thumbsup:
results?Saving another LMPP for the Super Bowl.
Lazy man pulled pork is the Cadillac of slow cooker recipes.
Oh, I know it. Just love to hear the responses towards it.
Just saw your posts. It turned out great, though I would probably go with a different BBQ sauce next time. Been eating pork sammiches all week :thumbup:Any good recommendations on a sauce? I saw Sweet Baby Ray's mentioned, which I like, but I prefer a less sweet sauce on pork.

I make something pretty similar, but I add a pack of whole mushrooms and also either some red wine (1 cup) or some Worcestershire sauce (1/2 cup) instead of some of the water. I also use bottled minced garlic instead of garlic powder (a generous spoonful). If the sauce gets too watery, I add in some sour cream.I have kids that generally would turn their nose up at most everything in this, but we never have leftovers when I make it. They will opt for seconds and thirds.

'Dippa said:
'jamny said:
'John Bender said:
First time using a slow cooker. After seeing this thread, I had to buy one. Got the lazy man's pulled pork going now, seasoned with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Should be ready for the game tonight.Thanks to all who have contributed recipes and tips. Can't wait to try them out :thumbsup:
Just saw your posts. It turned out great, though I would probably go with a different BBQ sauce next time. Been eating pork sammiches all week :thumbup:Any good recommendations on a sauce? I saw Sweet Baby Ray's mentioned, which I like, but I prefer a less sweet sauce on pork.
My GF loves Famous Dave's Devil Spit. It's spicy.

Bender, if you want something really easy during the week when you're at work all day...

Buy a decent size chuck roast, a bag of baby carrots and a couple of potatoes and an onion.

Put two packages of Lipton's onion soup in the crock pot with enough water to fill the crock pot halfway.

Put the roast in, dump the bag of carrots in, and slice up the potatoes/onion and throw them in also.

Top off with several shakes of garlic powder.

When you come home, the roast will fall apart and the other stuff will be done to perfection. :thumbup:
Question - aren't you almost boiling it with this much water?

Had this over the holidays.

chuck roast (4-5 lbs)

bottle of Stubbs beef marinade

That's it. Soak that sucker overnight in the fridge, then pour the whole thing in the crock and cook it on low until you can shred it with a fork for pulled beef sammies.

Buffalo flavored nacho dip:

2 cans shredded chicken (10 oz)

8 oz philly cream cheese

6-8 oz of frank's red hot sauce (to taste)

1 cup ranch dressing

1.5 cups shredded cheese

Takes 5 minutes to throw everything in the crock pot, about an hour to get ready. Delicious.

Seems fairly popular, we ran into someone else at a party last week who used the exact same recipe. So this might already be posted, but figured I'd post it just in case it isn't.

Buffalo flavored nacho dip:2 cans shredded chicken (10 oz)8 oz philly cream cheese6-8 oz of frank's red hot sauce (to taste)1 cup ranch dressing1.5 cups shredded cheeseTakes 5 minutes to throw everything in the crock pot, about an hour to get ready. Delicious. Seems fairly popular, we ran into someone else at a party last week who used the exact same recipe. So this might already be posted, but figured I'd post it just in case it isn't.
Im fairly sure that is the recipe on franks redhot website.

No go on soups in the crock pot for me.I'm a soup expert (or at least I'd like to think) and I tried one of the chicken tortilla soup recipes listed here.The ingredients are great, but the broth itself tastes like water and has the same consistency.With a good soup you really need to cook it uncovered so it cooks down and compound the flavor. When the veggies, chicken, etc release their water, it just deadens the stock you added to the crock pot.(ETA: I tried pulling it and simmering on the stove for an hour but the chicken was beginning to get stringy and overcooked and just basically quit)Maybe I'll try a different kind of soup, but the broth is just too flavorless.As a matter of fact, I have so much left over, I think I'm going to strain the broth and use what's left as a topping for some nachos.
Depends on what recipe you used, but it helps a lot to replace all/some of the water with chicken broth.

Bender, if you want something really easy during the week when you're at work all day...

Buy a decent size chuck roast, a bag of baby carrots and a couple of potatoes and an onion.

Put two packages of Lipton's onion soup in the crock pot with enough water to fill the crock pot halfway.

Put the roast in, dump the bag of carrots in, and slice up the potatoes/onion and throw them in also.

Top off with several shakes of garlic powder.

When you come home, the roast will fall apart and the other stuff will be done to perfection. :thumbup:
Question - aren't you almost boiling it with this much water?
Not really - the slow cooker will never bring meat to a real rolling boil.In fact, if I am cooking meat in the slow cooker, I will make sure it's almost completely sumberged in liquid as anything above the fluid line tends to get a bit dry

First time using a slow cooker. After seeing this thread, I had to buy one. Got the lazy man's pulled pork going now, seasoned with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Should be ready for the game tonight.

Thanks to all who have contributed recipes and tips. Can't wait to try them out :thumbsup:
Just saw your posts. It turned out great, though I would probably go with a different BBQ sauce next time. Been eating pork sammiches all week :thumbup:

Any good recommendations on a sauce? I saw Sweet Baby Ray's mentioned, which I like, but I prefer a less sweet sauce on pork.
Make your own BBQ Sauce

Buffalo flavored nacho dip:2 cans shredded chicken (10 oz)8 oz philly cream cheese6-8 oz of frank's red hot sauce (to taste)1 cup ranch dressing1.5 cups shredded cheeseTakes 5 minutes to throw everything in the crock pot, about an hour to get ready. Delicious. Seems fairly popular, we ran into someone else at a party last week who used the exact same recipe. So this might already be posted, but figured I'd post it just in case it isn't.
May give this one a try this weekend. Been hankering for some good dip.

It's excellent with celery

I have 1/2 pre cooked smoked ham. I am going to try a suggestion I saw that talked about scoring the ham, dust it with brown sugar, wrap it in reynolds wrap and then cooking it in the crock pot for 3-4 hours. We will see how this turns out.I get tired of cooking a ham the same boring way in the oven, so I am going to try this. Plus if this works out, this is going to be an awesome help on Thanksgiving because we usually prepare a turkey and a ham and this will free up the oven space.
Update?
I put it in on high for 1 hour and then cooked it on low for 3 hours. WOW!!! It was good. All the sugar just carmelized on the ham. My kids ate every little scrap. Now I need to experiment on a larger ham before I attempt this for a holiday meal.
I have a small one in now. Looks and smells good. I added a can of crushed pineapple and am basting with the juices. :thumbup:ETA: Turned out great. Very moist and flavorful. :thumbup:
Reading online recipes they say not to buy a smoked ham, just a cooked one, that it ends up tasting weird. Did your hams taste fine?? And a stupid question having never bought an actual ham before, is there anything I should look for (cut, type...). I want to try this for a late Christmas gathering this weekend. Hopefully I can eyeball a ham that will fit in the crock pot

Got some jambalaya on now. Here's what I did:

1 lb kielbasa diced

~12 oz chicken breast cubed

1 green pepper diced

1 onion diced

2 cups chicken stock

1 can diced tomatoes 14.5 oz

1 can Rotel with habaneros drained

1 tbsp creole seasoning

Pile everything in and set on low 7 or 8 hours.

If u like, celery and/or shrimp can be added. Just add the shrimp 45 min or so before it's done.

Most importantly, cook the rice separately. It will turn into a mushy mess in the crockpot. Trust me :bag:

Oh yeah. I also threw in a few dashes of hot sauce. I think that's about it.

ETA: 1 cup of rice will do

Last edited by a moderator:
'loser said:

1 lb kielbasa diced

1 green pepper diced

1 onion diced

2 cups chicken stock

1 tbsp creole seasoning

If u like, celery and/or shrimp can be added. Just add the shrimp 45 min or so before it's done.

Most importantly, cook the rice separately. It will turn into a mushy mess in the crockpot. Trust me :bag:

Try some Slap ya Mama

'TxBuckeye said:
'tribecalledjeff said:
Couldn't find canned shredded chicken. Got two packs of pre-cooked instead. Hopefully that works ok. I'll find out Sunday.

'loser said:

1 lb kielbasa diced

1 green pepper diced

1 onion diced

2 cups chicken stock

o1 tbsp creole seasoning

Try some Slap ya Mama
Great idea. Next time! I have been trying to find the perfect heat, hence the habaneros

Actually tried making a variant of porchetta in a slow cooker, sort of a "pulled porchetta" if you will. Season a pork sirloin roast with lots of rosemary, oregano, garlic, parsley, slat, and pepper, then brown on all sides in a cast iron skillet. Put it in the crock pot overnight with a half cup each of wine and chicken stock. In the morning, pull out the bones and shred - great on a good hard roll with stone ground mustard.

'loser said:
Got some jambalaya on now. Here's what I did:1 lb kielbasa diced~12 oz chicken breast cubed1 green pepper diced1 onion diced2 cups chicken stock1 can diced tomatoes 14.5 oz1 can Rotel with habaneros drained1 tbsp creole seasoningPile everything in and set on low 7 or 8 hours.If u like, celery and/or shrimp can be added. Just add the shrimp 45 min or so before it's done.Most importantly, cook the rice separately. It will turn into a mushy mess in the crockpot. Trust me :bag:Oh yeah. I also threw in a few dashes of hot sauce. I think that's about it.ETA: 1 cup of rice will do
Turned out great, but if cooking the rice separate, 2 cups of chicken stock is a bit too much. In the future, I'll half that.

I have 1/2 pre cooked smoked ham. I am going to try a suggestion I saw that talked about scoring the ham, dust it with brown sugar, wrap it in reynolds wrap and then cooking it in the crock pot for 3-4 hours. We will see how this turns out.I get tired of cooking a ham the same boring way in the oven, so I am going to try this. Plus if this works out, this is going to be an awesome help on Thanksgiving because we usually prepare a turkey and a ham and this will free up the oven space.
Update?
I put it in on high for 1 hour and then cooked it on low for 3 hours. WOW!!! It was good. All the sugar just carmelized on the ham. My kids ate every little scrap. Now I need to experiment on a larger ham before I attempt this for a holiday meal.
I have a small one in now. Looks and smells good. I added a can of crushed pineapple and am basting with the juices. :thumbup:ETA: Turned out great. Very moist and flavorful. :thumbup:
Reading online recipes they say not to buy a smoked ham, just a cooked one, that it ends up tasting weird. Did your hams taste fine?? And a stupid question having never bought an actual ham before, is there anything I should look for (cut, type...). I want to try this for a late Christmas gathering this weekend. Hopefully I can eyeball a ham that will fit in the crock pot
Yes, no worries. Mine was not smoked though.Also, I recently discovered Cherry Dr Pepper is a good sub for the Coca Cola for LMPP.

Looking to do something for New Year's Day and the bowl games. Anybody got a recipe for turkey in the crock pot?

Yep. I inserted it into the OP. It's earned the honor.
making this today. Smells amazing :thumbup: I have a few recipes ive done like lentil soup (mmmm), chicken tortilla (mixed with cream cheese), and some other mushroom and chicken recipes. Ill post them sometime during the week.

making this today. Smells amazing :thumbup: I have a few recipes ive done like lentil soup (mmmm), chicken tortilla (mixed with cream cheese), and some other mushroom and chicken recipes. Ill post them sometime during the week.
I did a mushroom and lentil soup that was totally aces as well as a mushroom and barley soupLove lentils and barley

I did a mushroom and lentil soup that was totally aces as well as a mushroom and barley soupLove lentils and barley
Lets see the mushroom barley details

10 ounces chopped mushrooms (if you can find some wild mushrooms at you local grocery, co-op, etc...the better. Otherwise buttons will work)2 minced garlic cloves2 chopped carrots2 chopped celery stalks1/2 cup barley5 cups water1 tablespoon Vegetable Broth (I prefer the low sodium)1 teaspoon thyme or 2 sprigs fresh thyme if you can get someAdd to crock pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours depending on how hot your low gets. Salt and pepper to taste You can add beef or chicken to this if you want some meat but add the respective broth to whatever meat you add or add mushroom broth if you can find it. I don't eat a lot of meat anymore so I find this quite delicious. I always wanted to add a tablespoon or two of sherry to the crock pot during the last hour of cooking just to jazz it up. Some folks I know add potatoes or roasted beets. One guy add green beans. Whatever you like is good to go.

10 ounces chopped mushrooms (if you can find some wild mushrooms at you local grocery, co-op, etc...the better. Otherwise buttons will work)2 minced garlic cloves2 chopped carrots2 chopped celery stalks1/2 cup barley5 cups water1 tablespoon Vegetable Broth (I prefer the low sodium)1 teaspoon thyme or 2 sprigs fresh thyme if you can get someAdd to crock pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours depending on how hot your low gets. Salt and pepper to taste You can add beef or chicken to this if you want some meat but add the respective broth to whatever meat you add or add mushroom broth if you can find it. I don't eat a lot of meat anymore so I find this quite delicious. I always wanted to add a tablespoon or two of sherry to the crock pot during the last hour of cooking just to jazz it up. Some folks I know add potatoes or roasted beets. One guy add green beans. Whatever you like is good to go.
Def going to do this. Thanks

New Orleans is famous for it's "wet" roast beef po-boy. Here's how I make mine, will be serving tomorrow.

[*]Take a 2-3lb round roast bottom

[*]Lightly salt and pepper

[*]Make "Xs" evenly spaced with a knife on each side of the roast...stuff each "X" with garlic (a handful of minced, or a whole clove)

[*]Cut up an onion and add to pot

[*]Add one can of condensed cream of mushroom soup

[*]Add one can of french onion soup

[*]Cook on slow for 8-10 hours

[*]After 8 hours, check to make sure that that the meat is completely covered by the liquid (condensed soup + french onion soup + water). Break apart with wooden spoon and remove bone

[*]Cook for another 2 hours (not necessary, but ideal)

[*]Salt to taste

[*]Is great by itself, but best served on french bread :thumbup:

Some people add cut up potatos and carrots

Extremely easy and serves multiple people for under $20

Is there a ribs recipe in this thread?
I think Tiger Fan has one in here somewhere. I've tried babybacks once and didn't like how they turned out. Country style ribs are my preferred choice in the crock pot.
So it is a viable product? We did pork butt and it turned out fantastic. I did not know you could do ribs in a crock pot.
The only time I did Ribs in the Crock Pot the flavor was great and the meat was literally falling off of the bone. It was more like eating a pile of boneless ribs than "pickup and eat off of the bone" if that makes any sense.Kids requesting RN's meatball recipe for the weekend!! :thumbup:

Pulled Chicken BBQ 6 frozen skinless, boneless chicken breast halves 1 (12 ounce) bottle barbeque sauce 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing 1/4 cup brown sugar 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce 1.Place chicken in a slow cooker. In a bowl, mix the barbecue sauce, Italian salad dressing, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over the chicken.2.Cover, and cook 3 to 4 hours on High or 6 to 8 hours on Low.3. Pull chicken apart, put back in slow cooker on low or warm setting for atleast an hour to soak up the juices :thumbup:

Pulled Chicken BBQ 6 frozen skinless, boneless chicken breast halves 1 (12 ounce) bottle barbeque sauce 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing 1/4 cup brown sugar 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce 1.Place chicken in a slow cooker. In a bowl, mix the barbecue sauce, Italian salad dressing, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over the chicken.2.Cover, and cook 3 to 4 hours on High or 6 to 8 hours on Low.3. Pull chicken apart, put back in slow cooker on low or warm setting for atleast an hour to soak up the juices :thumbup:
BBQ sauce + Italian Dressing :confused: Sorry that doesn't even sound good

i thought the same. but its very good.. had a party and made enough for 40 people everyone said it was awesome

i thought the same. but its very good.. had a party and made enough for 40 people everyone said it was awesome
:thumbup: I use apple cider vinegar instead of the dressing-- adds a nice mouthwatering bite

Lots of great recipes in this thread. Here is a story about the dark side of a slow cooker . . .Over the NYE weekend I attempted to make a Chicken-Shrimp-Andouille Jammin Jambalaya in my crock pot. Was told to put the uncooked rice in 3 hours before the entire thing was done. Went to check on it with about 30 minutes to go and the rice was paste-like. Completely ruined the dish.Moral of the story: Do NOT attempt to cook rice in a crock pot. Make it on the side.

Lots of great recipes in this thread. Here is a story about the dark side of a slow cooker . . .Over the NYE weekend I attempted to make a Chicken-Shrimp-Andouille Jammin Jambalaya in my crock pot. Was told to put the uncooked rice in 3 hours before the entire thing was done. Went to check on it with about 30 minutes to go and the rice was paste-like. Completely ruined the dish.Moral of the story: Do NOT attempt to cook rice in a crock pot. Make it on the side.
Oof. 3 hrs is way too long. If youre making Chicken Bog (recipe is in here and it is awesome) the rice takes 40-50 minutes to cook (assuming you are using normal rice and not the quick cook stuff) and I am constantly checking it. 3 hrs seems like youre murdering it.

Oof. 3 hrs is way too long. If youre making Chicken Bog (recipe is in here and it is awesome) the rice takes 40-50 minutes to cook (assuming you are using normal rice and not the quick cook stuff) and I am constantly checking it. 3 hrs seems like youre murdering it.
Yep - it was a rice massacre

A rice cooker is a great accompaniment to your crock pot. It cooks your rice until all the water is absorbed and then switches to warm so you never have to worry about over/under cooking. Looks like they can be had for $20 or so.

Crazy that the recipe called for that.When you think about cooking rice on the stove top, you bring the water up to temperature and then basically turn it down to low and leave it uncovered and 20 mins later you have rice. The same principles apply to a slow cooker I have to assume where you're pouring in the rice and it just needs 40 minutes or so to get to al dente. Sorry you had to learn the hard way. I always try to cook my pasta or rice separately with any soup recipe.

Got a buffalo chicken DIP recipe that I'll have in here by the Super Bowl. If i get time to transcribe it for the conference championship games, even better

:no: CROCK POT FAIL!!!I know this is a weird post because we all post good stuff, but my recipe failed tonight (like my Broncos), 5 chicken breasts, 30 oz chunk pineapple (drained), 20 oz bottle Moutain Dew.I like to try and come up with recipes but this one just failed. Chicken was shredded right but bland and had no taste,I really thought the Dew would create a nice flavor, but I failed....lots of left over pizza in the Jester house tonight, but I am working on a bad drunk now, so

I was going to try the LMPP today but the grocery store (and another I called) didn't have liquid smoke. Is this stuff normally available or do I have to go somewhere special? Ended up dropping in a chuck roast with root veggies and some beef stock/beer with garlic chunks crammed into the meat. A packet of Lipton's onion soup mix. I rubbed the meat in Lawry's, garlic powder, a little salt and black pepper and seared it first. Low for 6 hours, turned out awesome.

I was going to try the LMPP today but the grocery store (and another I called) didn't have liquid smoke. Is this stuff normally available or do I have to go somewhere special?
:no: I can get LS at Giant Eagle (grocery store chain) look by the BBQ sauce and other condiments. LS adds a smokey touch but some will tell you it is not absolutely necessary.

I was going to try the LMPP today but the grocery store (and another I called) didn't have liquid smoke. Is this stuff normally available or do I have to go somewhere special? Ended up dropping in a chuck roast with root veggies and some beef stock/beer with garlic chunks crammed into the meat. A packet of Lipton's onion soup mix. I rubbed the meat in Lawry's, garlic powder, a little salt and black pepper and seared it first. Low for 6 hours, turned out awesome.
I wouldn't even worry about the liquid smoke.

OK. I am thinking I just didn't know where to look and those hard-working teenage idiots might not have known what it even was. I've never bought it.Looking forward to trying it out and want to keep it true to the original.

Rolling with this today. Will probably shred it but could keep the breasts whole and serve over pasta8 chicken breasts1 jar marinara sauce1 can diced tomatoes1/2 cup Italian dressings&p

Users who are viewing this thread