What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crock pot / Slow cooker recipes (3 Viewers)

Rolling with this today. Will probably shred it but could keep the breasts whole and serve over pasta8 chicken breasts1 jar marinara sauce1 can diced tomatoes1/2 cup Italian dressings&p
you tried this before? if not, let us know how it turns out. About how many lbs does that chicken total?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rolling with this today. Will probably shred it but could keep the breasts whole and serve over pasta8 chicken breasts1 jar marinara sauce1 can diced tomatoes1/2 cup Italian dressings&p
you tried this before? if not, let us know how it turns out. About how many lbs does that chicken total?
Nope, never tried it before. Had the ingredients in the pantry so thought I'd give it a run.

Lots of great recipes in this thread. Here is a story about the dark side of a slow cooker . . .Over the NYE weekend I attempted to make a Chicken-Shrimp-Andouille Jammin Jambalaya in my crock pot. Was told to put the uncooked rice in 3 hours before the entire thing was done. Went to check on it with about 30 minutes to go and the rice was paste-like. Completely ruined the dish.Moral of the story: Do NOT attempt to cook rice in a crock pot. Make it on the side.
How about the time i put a pork roast in and forgot to turn the thing on. What a waste of time and money

2lbs ground beef1 can kidney beans1 can crushed tomatoes1 can rotelTbsp chili powderDash of cayenne pepperDash of franks red hotTbsp onion powderCook on slow for 8 hoursAnything else needed for chili? Thats how i usually make it and it comes out good

Nope, never tried it before. Had the ingredients in the pantry so thought I'd give it a run.
:thumbup: curious to know how it turns out

2lbs ground beef1 can kidney beans1 can crushed tomatoes1 can rotelTbsp chili powderDash of cayenne pepperDash of franks red hotTbsp onion powderCook on slow for 8 hoursAnything else needed for chili? Thats how i usually make it and it comes out good
Cumin if you have it.

Turned out well but not perfect. The diced tomatoes made it watery. Next time I would drain the tomatoes first and take the lid off the crock earlier for evaporation. I'd also add diced tomatoes that come with basil, onions, etc. Something to bump the flavor. Also a small can of tomato pasteI shredded it and served it on buns with provolone. I'll be making this again!

Turned out well but not perfect. The diced tomatoes made it watery. Next time I would drain the tomatoes first and take the lid off the crock earlier for evaporation. I'd also add diced tomatoes that come with basil, onions, etc. Something to bump the flavor. Also a small can of tomato pasteI shredded it and served it on buns with provolone. I'll be making this again!
Good deal

I will be trying this Wednesday, but less chicken, so probably less Marinara sauce than a whole jar. Also, I'm going to add a chopped onion, and some basil and oregano.I'll serve with pasta...what kind of side dishes would y'all do with this? It's a bit of an in-house date night deal, so...was thinking perhaps just a nice salad would work with some chopped veggies, but if there's something more impressive and fairly easy, that'd be appreciated.

Cumin if you have it.
Got it!
I usually brown the meat first with an onion. I also like diced green & red bell peppers too. Finally I don't put beans in until the last 30 or 60 minutes -- they're already cooked and don't want them to get mushy.

Anyone have some good vegetarian friendly recipes? Dating one of them, and would like to make something that she can eat.Found some stuff online, but didn't know if anyone had any personal experiences with one here.

Anyone have some good vegetarian friendly recipes? Dating one of them, and would like to make something that she can eat.Found some stuff online, but didn't know if anyone had any personal experiences with one here.
Lazy Man Pulled Pork.Make the recipe as is. Put pork on your bun. Give her an empty bun and BBQ sauce.You probably could find a chili recipe and take the meat out.

Lazy Man Pulled Pork.Make the recipe as is. Put pork on your bun. Give her an empty bun and BBQ sauce.You probably could find a chili recipe and take the meat out.
Have made the LMPP from here before. :thumbup: Don't think that would work for her, though. :mellow:

Did this over the weekend. Turned out really good.

Browned some chicken tenders with some salt/pepper/garlic

Added chicken to slow cooker with about 1/2cup chicken broth, 1/2 white wine, lemon juice, plus the liquid from both of a jar of sundried tomatoes and a jar of artichoke hearts. Plus about 1/4 of the jar of the actual sundried and chokes, plus about 1/4 of the mushrooms I had.

Cooked all day.

About an hour before eating, I added some more of the sundried tomatoes, the rest of the artichokes and the rest of the mushrooms.

I've found that leaving certain vegs, in this case chokes shrooms, in all day tends to make them wither away to nothing. So I like to get some in there for flavor, but save the majority for the end of the cooking so they're still there for the meal itself

Served over fettuccini with some parmesan

Did this over the weekend. Turned out really good.

Browned some chicken tenders with some salt/pepper/garlic

Added chicken to slow cooker with about 1/2cup chicken broth, 1/2 white wine, lemon juice, plus the liquid from both of a jar of sundried tomatoes and a jar of artichoke hearts. Plus about 1/4 of the jar of the actual sundried and chokes, plus about 1/4 of the mushrooms I had.

Cooked all day.

About an hour before eating, I added some more of the sundried tomatoes, the rest of the artichokes and the rest of the mushrooms.

I've found that leaving certain vegs, in this case chokes shrooms, in all day tends to make them wither away to nothing. So I like to get some in there for flavor, but save the majority for the end of the cooking so they're still there for the meal itself

Served over fettuccini with some parmesan
Sounds good

Slightly different spin on this today:ChickenDiced TomatoesRotelItalian DressingBasilParsleyMarinara sauceChopped OnionI split it to be four breasts each in two crockpots, and did half a can of all these things. That's about 12 oz tomatoes in each (drained), not a whole lot of Italian dressing, and a half jar of marinara (a fairly small size, I want to say its about 8 oz per crockpot).There's a whole white onion in each (again, fairly small as far as onions go).I'm deciding right now between sandwiches or serving over pasta. Anyone want to sway me one way or another? Cooking for 8 people here.

10 ounces chopped mushrooms (if you can find some wild mushrooms at you local grocery, co-op, etc...the better. Otherwise buttons will work)2 minced garlic cloves2 chopped carrots2 chopped celery stalks1/2 cup barley5 cups water1 tablespoon Vegetable Broth (I prefer the low sodium)1 teaspoon thyme or 2 sprigs fresh thyme if you can get someAdd to crock pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours depending on how hot your low gets. Salt and pepper to taste You can add beef or chicken to this if you want some meat but add the respective broth to whatever meat you add or add mushroom broth if you can find it. I don't eat a lot of meat anymore so I find this quite delicious. I always wanted to add a tablespoon or two of sherry to the crock pot during the last hour of cooking just to jazz it up. Some folks I know add potatoes or roasted beets. One guy add green beans. Whatever you like is good to go.
Made a batch of this (a variation) last week. It was good and even the kids liked it! I forgot the sherry at the end, which definitely would have added a nice zing to it. That or some tomato paste...something to give it umami. (Weak Iron Chef joke/reference.)

Slightly different spin on this today:ChickenDiced TomatoesRotelItalian DressingBasilParsleyMarinara sauceChopped OnionI split it to be four breasts each in two crockpots, and did half a can of all these things. That's about 12 oz tomatoes in each (drained), not a whole lot of Italian dressing, and a half jar of marinara (a fairly small size, I want to say its about 8 oz per crockpot).There's a whole white onion in each (again, fairly small as far as onions go).I'm deciding right now between sandwiches or serving over pasta. Anyone want to sway me one way or another? Cooking for 8 people here.
Seems like it would be too watery for sandwiches.What did you end up going with?

Seems like it would be too watery for sandwiches.What did you end up going with?
I ended up with exactly that. Low for 6 hours, pull it out and shred, low for another hour or two. I served it onto hoagie rolls and put mozzarella cheese on top - it was a meatball sub with chicken instead of meatballs. Big hit - 8 people downed 18 sandwiches like nothing. Not too watery at all - I always put in quite a fair amount of liquid and have never had issues with watery-ness...Although, note I used about HALF as much marinara as the guy who originally suggested this, because I split one jar into two crockpots.

Have never ventured into crock pot cooking. Can you make anything that cooks for unattended for 10 hours? That is how long I am usually away at work. Maybe that is a basic question.
pretty much. Most crockpots go to "warm" when they're done cooking...so if you have an 8 hour recipe, you set your crockpot for 8 hours and it will shut down to "warm" when it's done

started reading thread and only on second page but already making the pulled pork tomorrow, when you say coke, would Dr. pepper be ok? It's all I got, but will buy Coke if it HAS to be coke. Also would beer work as well?

started reading thread and only on second page but already making the pulled pork tomorrow, when you say coke, would Dr. pepper be ok? It's all I got, but will buy Coke if it HAS to be coke. Also would beer work as well?
also to add to this, do i sear or pre cook the pork at all or just boom right in the crock with it? Thanks, my mouth is already watering thinking about it tomorrow.

also to add to this, do i sear or pre cook the pork at all or just boom right in the crock with it? Thanks, my mouth is already watering thinking about it tomorrow.
OK one last thing lol, my first instinct is to add some salt pepper, garlic salt and the like to this as well, should I stick strictly to Soda, Pork, Liquid Smoke, then add BBQ sauce later, or extra spices is obvious just not mentioned because it is obv I should be adding them? Obv not a cook here so just don't wanna mess it up wait 8 hours and screw it up all ready for some good BBQ lol.

OK one last thing lol, my first instinct is to add some salt pepper, garlic salt and the like to this as well, should I stick strictly to Soda, Pork, Liquid Smoke, then add BBQ sauce later, or extra spices is obvious just not mentioned because it is obv I should be adding them? Obv not a cook here so just don't wanna mess it up wait 8 hours and screw it up all ready for some good BBQ lol.
You can use apple juice and someone suggested at some point in the last couple pages to use cherry Dr. Pepper. I suppose you could use regular DP as well. No precook and no other spices. Just shred and discard fat after 8 hours. Enjoy

You can use apple juice and someone suggested at some point in the last couple pages to use cherry Dr. Pepper. I suppose you could use regular DP as well. No precook and no other spices. Just shred and discard fat after 8 hours. Enjoy
awesome thanks, one last thing, i seen a couple posts of people going for 9-10 hours then adding the bbq sauce and cooking for another 2 hours, is that too long? does it matter?

trying this out with some stuff out of the pantry:

[*]Line the bottom of the crockpot with 2 cans of pork and beans

[*]Place 2 lbs of frozen chicken breasts on top

[*]Cover the chicken with a bottle of BBQ sauce and a healthy squirt of mustard

[*]Top that with half a red onion, diced

I'm putting it on high for 3 hours. Will report back.

awesome thanks, one last thing, i seen a couple posts of people going for 9-10 hours then adding the bbq sauce and cooking for another 2 hours, is that too long? does it matter?
As long as there is plenty of liquid it should be OK(cover most if not the entire shoulder) but I have not gone significantly past 8 hours so I am guessing.

I use Dr Pepper and apple cider vinegar.. gives the pork a mouthwatering bite.. then I add a little brown sugar.. cook the pork shoulder for 8-10 hours, shred, add BBQ sauce, and cook another hour.. I never used liquid smoke

Is it safe to start up the crockpot in the morning and leave it on while I'm away at work? I want to double check this is not a fire hazard or something.

If i cook the pulled pork for say 9 hours add BBQ and cook another hour or so, then i leave it on warm, is there a time limit on what it is on warm for? Trying to time out how to do this and don't wanna ruin it, like say I had it on warm after cooking and it was on warm for 3 hours , is that bad?

If i cook the pulled pork for say 9 hours add BBQ and cook another hour or so, then i leave it on warm, is there a time limit on what it is on warm for? Trying to time out how to do this and don't wanna ruin it, like say I had it on warm after cooking and it was on warm for 3 hours , is that bad?
You might dry it out and cook off all the bbq sauce. Not sure where you cross over the threshold though.

You might dry it out and cook off all the bbq sauce. Not sure where you cross over the threshold though.
gotcha

What if I have two pork shoulders to choose between. One is, say, 4.3 pounds and the other one is 4.45 pounds. Which one would taste better? How about if the 4.3 one had an expiration date different than the 4.45 pound one? And would it be just as good with chocolate milk instead of Coke? Will this recipe still work on a Tuesday?/godgers12

What if I have two pork shoulders to choose between. One is, say, 4.3 pounds and the other one is 4.45 pounds. Which one would taste better? How about if the 4.3 one had an expiration date different than the 4.45 pound one? And would it be just as good with chocolate milk instead of Coke? Will this recipe still work on a Tuesday?/godgers12
because I have never used a crock pot in my life, the wife is gone for a few days and I dont want to cook something and be looking forward to it tomorrow night and have messed it up? My bad, carry on, I will keep my questions to myself.

i asked if it had to be coke, if I should be adding extra spices, and if cooking it longer or warming it longer would ruin it. But I can see the comparison to what you mention as well, #####.

because I have never used a crock pot in my life, the wife is gone for a few days and I dont want to cook something and be looking forward to it tomorrow night and have messed it up? My bad, carry on, I will keep my questions to myself.
Relax man, just having some fun.There's no need to stress about this recipe. You have a HUGE margin for error. You don't need to be perfect.

Relax man, just having some fun.There's no need to stress about this recipe. You have a HUGE margin for error. You don't need to be perfect.
I know but imagine this lol, I NEVER EVER EVER cook, home alone no kids tomorrow, So I smell all day this good stuff and when im starving and ready to eat I screw up some point that should be obvious and I am eating my side salad and a pot pie while cleaning out my crock pot.With my luck this is not far fetched lol...

Nah, you'll be fine. Don't panic and do your best to follow the instructions. It's ridiculously easy.
cool, cant wait, have a couple bottles of Rudy's BBQ sauce which to me is off the hook because it isn't sweet like other sauces which I really do not like. It tends to be more peppery and spicy. Really good :)

Nah, you'll be fine. Don't panic and do your best to follow the instructions. It's ridiculously easy.
cool, cant wait, have a couple bottles of Rudy's BBQ sauce which to me is off the hook because it isn't sweet like other sauces which I really do not like. It tends to be more peppery and spicy. Really good :)
My favorite
yea i have had that as it is my wives fav of all time lol, it is odd but I really don't care for BBQ sauce to much, but when I tried Rudy's it was much different, more vinegar and peppary, more on what I like. Trust me if she was in town I would be using Sweet Baby Ray's..

My favorite
yea i have had that as it is my wives fav of all time lol, it is odd but I really don't care for BBQ sauce to much, but when I tried Rudy's it was much different, more vinegar and peppary, more on what I like. Trust me if she was in town I would be using Sweet Baby Ray's..
It's pretty difficult to screw up crockpot stuff. I usually do some variant of chicken + sauce + cook, and I've cooked the same recipe anywhere from 5 to 11 hours with the only difference being longer = easier to shred (more tender). Taste is all the same. Crockpots are MADE for low quality meet and slow cooking a sauce's taste into it. Pretty darn tough to screw up, even if you're a 20 year old college student who is never at the apartment between 10:00AM and 10:00PM...

Weber makes a chicken marinade called "White Wine and Herb" and it's like liquid gold.Thinking of just making the marinade and cooking the chicken in the marinade itself. Can't be a bad thing can it?My one concern is the marinade has a lot of olive oil. Cooking the chicken in a vat of olive oil and herbs sound like an ok idea?

Here's my "go-to" - Beef Stew:8 hours on low with following ingredients:4.5 lbs. stew beef (cubed)2 onions6 red potatoes (cubed)1 bag small carrots2 McCormick beef stew seasoning packets2 1/2 cups water1 tsp Garlic powder (shaken on top)Put all veggies and beef in slow cooker. Mix seasoning mix with water (mix is thoroughly). Pour into slow cooker. Shake garlic powder on top.
Made this over the weekend for family I had visiting. Went over well. Fed six easily and still had a bunch left over. This was a huge batch! Need to have a good sized crock pot. Next time, I may just cut the recipe in half. I thought about adding some green beans and corn but simply had no room. Crock pot was filled to the brim with just these ingredients.

Users who are viewing this thread