What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crock pot / Slow cooker recipes (5 Viewers)

Sorry if it has been asked before but I didn't read the entire thread.

Any recommendations or factors to consider on size of crock pot for two adults and a 13 year old who eats like an adult?

I was thinking 4 qts was the appropriate size.
I think that's big enough if you're just looking to get a meal and maybe some leftovers for a lunch out of it. But if you're trying to cook a couple nights' worth of dinner, go bigger. Also if you're trying to cook a big pork shoulder or something similar, 4qt could be a little tight.
In SoCal...we have this casual dining/fast food chain called Cafe Rio...they make an excellent sweet pulled pork. Something like this:

http://www.yummyhealthyeasy.com/2013/10/copycat-cafe-rio-sweet-pulled-pork.html

This recipe calls for 8 servings and features 3 lbs of pork loin roast which seems like a lot of food to me. I would probably try to do 6 servings and use 2 pounds of meat.

I have never used a crock pot or owned one...using this recipe do you think I need to go larger than 4 quarts?
Why bother with a 4Q crock pot? Go the extra $8 and get a 6Q.

Any recommendations or factors to consider on size of crock pot for two adults and a 13 year old who eats like an adult?

I think that's big enough if you're just looking to get a meal and maybe some leftovers for a lunch out of it. But if you're trying to cook a couple nights' worth of dinner, go bigger. Also if you're trying to cook a big pork shoulder or something similar, 4qt could be a little tight.
In SoCal...we have this casual dining/fast food chain called Cafe Rio...they make an excellent sweet pulled pork. Something like this:

This recipe calls for 8 servings and features 3 lbs of pork loin roast which seems like a lot of food to me. I would probably try to do 6 servings and use 2 pounds of meat.

I have never used a crock pot or owned one...using this recipe do you think I need to go larger than 4 quarts?
Couple reasons.

First and foremost...I don't know what the heck I am doing and my main fear would be essentially having to make more food than we need to get it to turn out right. For example...is cooking in a 6Q for our family going to be like throwing a turkey in the bathtub? Am I going to need to add marinades and what not to compensate for the expanded size of the bowl and will that effect taste in a negative way?

Second...kitchen counter space is a premium.

SIDA! said:
Binky The Doormat said:
SIDA! said:
RUSF18 said:
SIDA! said:

Couple reasons.

First and foremost...I don't know what the heck I am doing and my main fear would be essentially having to make more food than we need to get it to turn out right. For example...is cooking in a 6Q for our family going to be like throwing a turkey in the bathtub? Am I going to need to add marinades and what not to compensate for the expanded size of the bowl and will that effect taste in a negative way?

4Q is still pretty small for a family. If you all don't eat a lot then 4Q will do. You do limit yourself if you are cooking for anything larger than your small family or in a couple of years when the kids get bigger. I have not experienced needing to add more stuff because of the bigger pot - just cook on low.

SIDA! said:
Binky The Doormat said:
SIDA! said:
RUSF18 said:
SIDA! said:

Couple reasons.

4Q is still pretty small for a family. If you all don't eat a lot then 4Q will do. You do limit yourself if you are cooking for anything larger than your small family or in a couple of years when the kids get bigger. I have not experienced needing to add more stuff because of the bigger pot - just cook on low.
Really stupid question.

Say you put a chunk of meat in the pot that is like 4 inches tall...when you use the slow cooker...don't you cover the entire thing with sauces or marinades? If not...how does the top of the meat get cooked and seasoned if you guys are turning this stuff on and letting it cook all day while at work?

SIDA! said:
Binky The Doormat said:
SIDA! said:
RUSF18 said:
SIDA! said:

Couple reasons.

Really stupid question.

Say you put a chunk of meat in the pot that is like 4 inches tall...when you use the slow cooker...don't you cover the entire thing with sauces or marinades? If not...how does the top of the meat get cooked and seasoned if you guys are turning this stuff on and letting it cook all day while at work?
No need. Heat and moisture are trapped in the pot. The meat will cook through. We often put spices, herbs and such on top the meat where it is exposed, but this is not necessarily needed either. Flavors will absorb into the meat. If it is something you are going to shred anyway, just let it soak and cook a little longer in all the juices after shredding.

Made this one over the weekend and will be doing it again for sure,very tasty!

Crockpot Chicken Wild Rice Soup

Ingredients
  • 1 cup uncooked wild rice
  • 1 pound chicken breasts
  • 2 cups mirepoix (chopped celery, carrots, and onions)
  • 6 cups chicken broth
  • 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
  • ½ cup butter
  • ¾ cup flour
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • a few tablespoons white wine (optional)
  • up to 2 cups additional milk or water
Instructions
  1. Rinse the wild rice. Place the uncooked wild rice, raw chicken, mirepoix, chicken broth, and poultry seasoning in a crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours. The chicken should be cooked through and the rice should be soft. There will be extra liquid in the crockpot; do not drain.
  2. Remove the chicken breasts from the crockpot and allow to cool slightly. Using two forks, shred the chicken. Return the shredded chicken to the crockpot.
  3. When rice and chicken are done cooking, melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and let the mixture bubble for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the whole milk until a thick, creamy mixture forms. Stir in the wine.
  4. Add this to the rice and chicken in the crockpot and stir to combine. Add extra water or milk to adjust the consistency as you like it. Season with additional salt and pepper.
Notes
The poultry seasoning is a mix of several things, including thyme and sage. Even though it's only a teaspoon, do not omit this because it adds a lot of the flavor. If you don't have any, just use any other herb seasonings that you like. Thyme and sage are the best in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
SIDA! said:
RUSF18 said:
SIDA! said:

One thing to keep in mind (and someone else will correct me if I'm wrong) but usually after cooking in the crock the yield will be half of the weight of the protein. So 2 pounds of meat will be around 1 pound after cooking - if that is enough food for your family then great but if you want seconds or leftovers I would stick with 3 pounds or go even larger.

SIDA! said:
Binky The Doormat said:
SIDA! said:
RUSF18 said:
SIDA! said:

Couple reasons.

Yeah I can't imagine that a 4Q crock would be the right choice. Just get a standard crockpot and be done with it.

Ingredients
  • 6 cups chicken broth
  • ½ cup butter
  • ¾ cup flour
  • 2 cups whole milk
Instructions
  1. Rinse the wild rice. Place the uncooked wild rice, raw chicken, mirepoix, chicken broth, and poultry seasoning in a crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours. The chicken should be cooked through and the rice should be soft. There will be extra liquid in the crockpot; do not drain.
  2. Remove the chicken breasts from the crockpot and allow to cool slightly. Using two forks, shred the chicken. Return the shredded chicken to the crockpot.
  3. When rice and chicken are done cooking, melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and let the mixture bubble for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the whole milk until a thick, creamy mixture forms. Stir in the wine.
  4. Add this to the rice and chicken in the crockpot and stir to combine. Add extra water or milk to adjust the consistency as you like it. Season with additional salt and pepper.
Notes
The poultry seasoning is a mix of several things, including thyme and sage. Even though it's only a teaspoon, do not omit this because it adds a lot of the flavor. If you don't have any, just use any other herb seasonings that you like. Thyme and sage are the best in my opinion.
How could it not?

Ingredients
  • 6 cups chicken broth
  • ½ cup butter
  • ¾ cup flour
  • 2 cups whole milk
Instructions
Notes
How could it not?
Kinda hard to mess this one up and it certainly isn't for those counting calories but when something is good you just have to share.Give it a try.

Made this French Onion Soup recipe this weekend. Takes a loooooong time, but most of it is just sit and wait. It came out delicious.

How To Make French Onion Soup in the Slow Cooker
Serves to 6

What You Need

Ingredients
3 pounds yellow onions, peeled, sliced, and cut into quarter-moons
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
10 cups beef broth
3 tablespoons brandy, optional

To Serve
4 to 6 baguette slices, toasted, for each bowl
1 1/3 to 2 cups grated Gruyere cheese (1/3 cup per bowl)
Chopped shallot or fresh onion

Equipment
Cutting board and chef's knife
Slow cooker
Wooden spoon
Oven-safe soup bowls
Baking pan

Instructions
* Season the onions: Place the onion slices in a 5-quart (or larger) slow cooker. Stir in the butter and olive oil, salt, and a generous quantity of black pepper.
* Cook on LOW for 12 hours: Cover and cook on LOW overnight or for 12 hours. The onions should be dark golden brown and soft.
* Add broth: Stir in the balsamic vinegar and the broth.
* Cook for 6 to 8 hours on LOW: Cover and continue cooking on LOW for 6 to 8 hours. This is flexible; as long as your slow cooker holds moisture well (wrap a towel over the lid if quite a lot of steam escapes), you can cook the soup for hours. Longer cooking will only intensify the flavors. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if desired, and stir in the brandy if using.
* Portion the soup into oven-safe bowls: Heat the oven to 350°F. Ladle the soup and onions into oven-safe bowls and place the bowls in a baking pan.
* Top with toast and shredded cheese: Top each bowl with a slice of toast and a generous quantity of shredded Gruyere cheese.
* Bake for 20 to 30 minutes: Bake on a rack in the upper third of the oven until the cheese is completely melted.
* Broil for 2 to 3 minutes: Turn the oven to broil and broil the soup for 2 to 3 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and browned. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes, then serve with chopped fresh onion on the side.

Recipe Notes
* Adjusting Consistency & Thickness: When I have made this the soup has always been just the right consistency. But if yours seems a little thin or watery, you can quickly finish it off on the stovetop by simmering gently in a saucepan for 15 minutes or until the broth has reduced a little.
*Nutrition Note: The nutrition info below does not include the bread and Gruyere for topping the soup.
One other note is to put the slow-cooker outside in your garage while cooking the onions overnight; they can take over your house!!

A lot of these sound awesome but does anyone have preferred *healthy* slow cooker recipes? Obviously it's harder to slow cook the leaner meats since they get dried out, but I found a really good chicken (breast) taco chili one that we had last night which was awesome.
We make this all the time:

South of the Border Shredded Chicken

Ingredients:

2-3 Pounds of Chicken Breasts

1 - Jar of your favorite salsa

1 - Diced Jalapeno (Keep the seeds if you like extra hot)

Juice from 4 limes

1 - TSP of salt

1 - Bunch of cilantro diced w/out stems (we use more because we love the stuff)

Place chicken in CP cover with salsa, jalapenos, lime juice and salt - Cook on low for 4 hours

Shred chicken using this method with cilantro in the bowl

You can either eat this now or return it to the CP and cook it for another hour or two.
This sounds awesome and I'll have to try it. I just made something similar:

SOUTHWESTERN 2 BEAN CHICKEN

4 raw, boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1 can pinto beans (rinsed and drained)

1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)

1 can diced tomatoes in juice

1 can corn

1 (12 ounce) jar of salsa

Place the chicken breasts on the bottom of your slow cooker. Pour the tomatoes and salsa over that and then layer on the beans and corn.

Cook on low for 5-7 hours, or until the chicken easily falls apart when the pot is stirred. Serve over rice.
:blackdot:

Will have to try this.

A lot of these sound awesome but does anyone have preferred *healthy* slow cooker recipes? Obviously it's harder to slow cook the leaner meats since they get dried out, but I found a really good chicken (breast) taco chili one that we had last night which was awesome.

Ingredients:

Juice from 4 limes

1 - TSP of salt

Place chicken in CP cover with salsa, jalapenos, lime juice and salt - Cook on low for 4 hours

You can either eat this now or return it to the CP and cook it for another hour or two.

1 can corn

Place the chicken breasts on the bottom of your slow cooker. Pour the tomatoes and salsa over that and then layer on the beans and corn.

Cook on low for 5-7 hours, or until the chicken easily falls apart when the pot is stirred. Serve over rice.

Will have to try this.
Looks good. What size cans of beans & stuff?

Ingredients:

Juice from 4 limes

1 - TSP of salt

1 can corn

Will have to try this.
#10 can of each IMO :)

1 can corn

Will have to try this.
The #10 works, or use what I did - the basic Campbell's soup size, whatever the ounces are.

That's the basic recipe but I'm pretty sure I also added about half a diced onion and some diced green & red peppers. Need to update my recipe to include it. This will probably be included on Super Bowl menu.

Made this French Onion Soup recipe this weekend. Takes a loooooong time, but most of it is just sit and wait. It came out delicious.

How To Make French Onion Soup in the Slow Cooker

Serves to 6

What You Need

Ingredients

3 pounds yellow onions, peeled, sliced, and cut into quarter-moons

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste

Freshly ground black pepper

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

10 cups beef broth

3 tablespoons brandy, optional

To Serve

4 to 6 baguette slices, toasted, for each bowl

1 1/3 to 2 cups grated Gruyere cheese (1/3 cup per bowl)

Chopped shallot or fresh onion

Equipment

Cutting board and chef's knife

Slow cooker

Wooden spoon

Oven-safe soup bowls

Baking pan

Instructions

* Season the onions: Place the onion slices in a 5-quart (or larger) slow cooker. Stir in the butter and olive oil, salt, and a generous quantity of black pepper.

* Cook on LOW for 12 hours: Cover and cook on LOW overnight or for 12 hours. The onions should be dark golden brown and soft.

* Add broth: Stir in the balsamic vinegar and the broth.

* Cook for 6 to 8 hours on LOW: Cover and continue cooking on LOW for 6 to 8 hours. This is flexible; as long as your slow cooker holds moisture well (wrap a towel over the lid if quite a lot of steam escapes), you can cook the soup for hours. Longer cooking will only intensify the flavors. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if desired, and stir in the brandy if using.

* Portion the soup into oven-safe bowls: Heat the oven to 350°F. Ladle the soup and onions into oven-safe bowls and place the bowls in a baking pan.

* Top with toast and shredded cheese: Top each bowl with a slice of toast and a generous quantity of shredded Gruyere cheese.

* Bake for 20 to 30 minutes: Bake on a rack in the upper third of the oven until the cheese is completely melted.

* Broil for 2 to 3 minutes: Turn the oven to broil and broil the soup for 2 to 3 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and browned. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes, then serve with chopped fresh onion on the side.

Recipe Notes

* Adjusting Consistency & Thickness: When I have made this the soup has always been just the right consistency. But if yours seems a little thin or watery, you can quickly finish it off on the stovetop by simmering gently in a saucepan for 15 minutes or until the broth has reduced a little.

*Nutrition Note: The nutrition info below does not include the bread and Gruyere for topping the soup.
One other note is to put the slow-cooker outside in your garage while cooking the onions overnight; they can take over your house!!
That sounds incredible.

A little of topic but debating between a crock pot or pressure cooker. Is a crock pot a better option for cooking quality?

A little of topic but debating between a crock pot or pressure cooker. Is a crock pot a better option for cooking quality?
Pressure cookers will save you time in cooking lesser cuts of meat. I've never really had to braise anything super quickly so I don't see the value at my house.Also there are really spectacular recipes in this thread that you wouldn't be able to do in a pressure cooker that you can do in a crock pot. That alone may make the decision for you.

Pressure cookers will save you time in cooking lesser cuts of meat. I've never really had to braise anything super quickly so I don't see the value at my house.Also there are really spectacular recipes in this thread that you wouldn't be able to do in a pressure cooker that you can do in a crock pot. That alone may make the decision for you.
I got one of those InstaPots that is a pressure cooker/crock pot/steamer/something else I can't recall (maybe a yogurt maker?). It's the IU-DUO model. I've only done the slow-cooking stuff in it so far, but I can definitely see me using the steamer function at some point.

1 can corn

Will have to try this.
The #10 works, or use what I did - the basic Campbell's soup size, whatever the ounces are.That's the basic recipe but I'm pretty sure I also added about half a diced onion and some diced green & red peppers. Need to update my recipe to include it. This will probably be included on Super Bowl menu.
I think those are 14.5 oz cans - thanks. I'm doing it this weekend. Do you cook down the onions & peppers in a skillet first?

I find the slow cooker to be the best way to cook chicken breasts.

You can pretty much cook them in any sauce, soup or broth and they come out better than any other method.

Sometimes when in a bind, just a jar of Ragu and 2 chicken breasts is enough for a great cheap, easy dinner served over pasta.

Making a lazy version of slow cooker chicken cacciatore for dinner tonight (using thighs), since Tuesdays are rushed with the kid running around to music lessons.

I think the sauce is too thin, but it sure smells good. Added a couple tablespoons of flour to thicken it.

Uruk-Hai said:
Amused to Death said:
[icon] said:
Uruk-Hai said:
Just Win Baby said:
Amused to Death said:

1 can corn

Will have to try this.
The #10 works, or use what I did - the basic Campbell's soup size, whatever the ounces are.That's the basic recipe but I'm pretty sure I also added about half a diced onion and some diced green & red peppers. Need to update my recipe to include it. This will probably be included on Super Bowl menu.
I think those are 14.5 oz cans - thanks. I'm doing it this weekend. Do you cook down the onions & peppers in a skillet first?
No, I just layered them on top (chicken, diced tomatoes, beans, corn, salsa, peppers & onions). I might make this again this weekend myself.

John Bender said:

You can pretty much cook them in any sauce, soup or broth and they come out better than any other method.

Sometimes when in a bind, just a jar of Ragu and 2 chicken breasts is enough for a great cheap, easy dinner served over pasta.
Yuck. Slow cookers may be the worst way to cook chicken breasts.

John Bender said:

I am suprised I haven't heard this more here. Just creates an odd texture - hard to explain.

I love our slow cooker and use it a lot but haven't found a way not to get that weird texture. Is it just that they are cooked too long?

Note: got the sous vide for Christmas and this seems ideal for moist chicken breast.

John Bender said:

I am suprised I haven't heard this more here. Just creates an odd texture - hard to explain.

I love our slow cooker and use it a lot but haven't found a way not to get that weird texture. Is it just that they are cooked too long?

Note: got the sous vide for Christmas and this seems ideal for moist chicken breast.
Chicken breast - especially skinless/boneless is a lean, fast-cooking meat. Slow-cooking works better on cuts with plenty of fat and/or connective tissue (which breaks down into gelatin). Lean meats can dry out, even in a moist cooking environment, because the muscle fibers tighten up when held at high temperatures.

Put me down for not a fan of chicken breasts in crock pot. I keep going back to the well but they're always going to be bone dry.

I prefer chicken thighs to chicken breasts, I usually substitute them and don't have much problem, just may need to adjust cooking times some. I would think a slow cooker would be no problem.

John Bender said:

Chicken breast - especially skinless/boneless is a lean, fast-cooking meat. Slow-cooking works better on cuts with plenty of fat and/or connective tissue (which breaks down into gelatin). Lean meats can dry out, even in a moist cooking environment, because the muscle fibers tighten up when held at high temperatures.
This. Slow cookers are best with big hunks of cheap meat.

I'm going to do a pork butt in the crock on Sunday. I'm tired of the same old bbq style and don't do coke so can't do the Lazy Man's recipe (I know that is blasphemy) - someone give me a new recipe/style to try.

TIA

I'm going to do a pork butt in the crock on Sunday. I'm tired of the same old bbq style and don't do coke so can't do the Lazy Man's recipe (I know that is blasphemy) - someone give me a new recipe/style to try.

TIA
I do an Italian version with garlic and a diced yellow onion and a big can of whole tomatoes I squeeze before dropping them in. Sauce will be pretty thin so you can also put a small can of tomato paste if you want thicker.

TIA
This pork recipe has been mentioned before in here, but it is easily my favorite meal from the slow cooker.

http://www.food.com/recipe/tony-lukes-italian-roast-pork-sandwich-the-real-deal-109581
Freakin love that sandwich. Better than his cheese steak.

I scanned the first page.

Did anyone ever put a "best of the best" type post with the various recipes somewhere in this thread?

Going to buy my crockpot today. :thumbup:

Bought Slow Cooker Revolution several years ago after they were raving about it on a morning show I listen to. I've made probably 10 of the dishes in there so far, and they've all been outstanding. And most are super easy. They use some what seem to be strange ingredients from time to time, but things they have tested and that yield an overall top-notch result. Would definitely recommend for any slow cooker aficionado.

They have 2 other books out (I think I'm going to try Healthy Slow Cooker Revolution next)

Just did a pork loin rubbed with garlic, doused in root beer. Drained most of the liquid when done, mixed in a half cup of my fave bbq sauce.

Exquisite and intoxicating!

TIA
I do an Italian version with garlic and a diced yellow onion and a big can of whole tomatoes I squeeze before dropping them in. Sauce will be pretty thin so you can also put a small can of tomato paste if you want thicker.
Seems like Frosty's Italian Beef (see post #1) would be adaptable for pork shoulder.

Bought Slow Cooker Revolution several years ago after they were raving about it on a morning show I listen to. I've made probably 10 of the dishes in there so far, and they've all been outstanding. And most are super easy. They use some what seem to be strange ingredients from time to time, but things they have tested and that yield an overall top-notch result. Would definitely recommend for any slow cooker aficionado.

They have 2 other books out (I think I'm going to try Healthy Slow Cooker Revolution next)
I have SCR and have probably made a dozen of the recipes, most of which were great. I highly recommend it. Don't have HSCR but will have to try it.

Does anyone make their own spaghetti sauce in the slow cooker? I'd like to make some from scratch and have extra for the week.

Doing some Swedish meatballs tomorrow

Soak bread crumbs in milk for 5 minutes in a large mixing bowl. Add ground beef and pork, eggs, onion, 1 1/4 teaspoon salt, nutmeg, and allspice; mix well. Shape into 1 inch meatballs.

Place the meatballs on rack in broiler pan and bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 400°.

Put browned meatballs in slow cooker. Add 1/2 can beef broth and the pepper. Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours.

To thicken gravy, turn slow cooker to high.

Combine butter and flour to make a smooth paste. Add paste to remaining 1/2 can beef broth and pour over meatballs.

Cook until thickened, about 45 minutes.

Remove the meatballs with a slotted spoon. Stir sour cream or cream into the broth until smooth.

Pour the sauce over the meatballs and serve with noodles or potatoes.

I got one of those InstaPots that is a pressure cooker/crock pot/steamer/something else I can't recall (maybe a yogurt maker?). It's the IU-DUO model. I've only done the slow-cooking stuff in it so far, but I can definitely see me using the steamer function at some point.
This is exactly the one we bought for Christmas. So far we've done a pot roast, butterbeans, black-eyed peas, and even a couple of frozen steaks. So far so good.

We also love our crock pot as well but I need to upgrade. Are the casserole ones any better? worse? about the same?

This is exactly the one we bought for Christmas. So far we've done a pot roast, butterbeans, black-eyed peas, and even a couple of frozen steaks. So far so good.

We also love our crock pot as well but I need to upgrade. Are the casserole ones any better? worse? about the same?
Not sure I understand. The InstaPot works just fine as a crock pot and it seems you've used it for that if I'm reading you correctly

Users who are viewing this thread