What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Droughns arrested for assault (1 Viewer)

SSOG

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/foot...d.ap/index.html

CENTENNIAL, Colo. (AP) -- Cleveland Browns running back Reuben Droughns surrendered to authorities Wednesday for a night in jail after being charged with domestic violence.

The 27-year-old Droughns was being held without bond until a court hearing Thursday morning, Arapahoe County sheriff Patrol Capt. Mark Fisher said.

Fisher said Droughns faces misdemeanor charges of third-degree assault and harassment for an incident in this suburb south of Denver that happened May 12, three days after a jury in Medina, Ohio, acquitted him of drunken driving.

Fisher said Droughns had left the scene before sheriff's deputies arrived. Droughns turned himself in and was arrested after deputies contacted him through his attorney.

Details of the incident were not provided by authorities. Neither Droughns' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, nor Browns spokeswoman, Amy Palcic, returned messages left after hours.

Droughns, who signed a three-year contract extension with the Browns earlier this year, rushed for 1,232 yards last season on 309 carries, scoring two touchdowns. He was traded to Cleveland from Denver in March 2005.

Earlier this month, a jury decided Droughns was not impaired by alcohol when an Ohio State Patrol trooper pulled him over Nov. 1. A breath test showed Droughns had an alcohol level of 0.08, the state's legal limit.

Droughns was charged with failing the Breathalyzer test, driving under the influence and traveling 50 mph in a 35-mph zone.

Droughns and his wife, Kellie, disputed the trooper's testimony that Droughns was weaving, and Droughns said he was unfamiliar with the speed limit in the area. Droughns said he drank three cocktails at a Halloween party that night.
Looks like we might be finding out how good William Green really is, after all. :popcorn:

i was just reading the same thing on PFT.. his wife was saying they take a limo every where they go.. would LOVE to see what jerome harrison can do...

Droughns is starting to look like a bit of a headcase. Always thought he was more the blue-collar type guy.

Droughns is starting to look like a bit of a headcase. Always thought he was more the blue-collar type guy.
I thought so, too. Back in Denver he seemed to have a good head on his shoulders, but obviously he's got some demons.

Are we looking at a league suspension here?
I could be wrong, but I don't think so. The Browns could, but I doubt they will. If anything, I'm going to bump RD up now that I know that he has a mean streak.

I could be wrong, but I don't think so. The Browns could, but I doubt they will.
I agree. After seeing Pittman essentially get off "scott free", I'm convinced that there is plenty of tolerance in the NFL for domestic abusers. :no:

I could be wrong, but I don't think so. The Browns could, but I doubt they will. If anything, I'm going to bump RD up now that I know that he has a mean streak.
:lmao: That's true. The last monster season Rod Smith had was the year before he went to anger management classes after slapping his wife around one too many times. Once he stopped beating his wife he couldn't beat anybody. Particularly corners off the line of scrimmage :P

Surprised he still makes his home in Colorado.
This sudden onset of rage on Plummer's & Droughn's part seem to coincide suspiciously with the smoking ban imposed by the state legislature.

This sudden onset of rage on Plummer's & Droughn's part seem to coincide suspiciously with the smoking ban imposed by the state legislature and with the sale of Tubby's.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/foot...d.ap/index.html

CENTENNIAL, Colo. (AP) -- Cleveland Browns running back Reuben Droughns surrendered to authorities Wednesday for a night in jail after being charged with domestic violence.

The 27-year-old Droughns was being held without bond until a court hearing Thursday morning, Arapahoe County sheriff Patrol Capt. Mark Fisher said.

Fisher said Droughns faces misdemeanor charges of third-degree assault and harassment for an incident in this suburb south of Denver that happened May 12, three days after a jury in Medina, Ohio, acquitted him of drunken driving.

Fisher said Droughns had left the scene before sheriff's deputies arrived. Droughns turned himself in and was arrested after deputies contacted him through his attorney.

Details of the incident were not provided by authorities. Neither Droughns' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, nor Browns spokeswoman, Amy Palcic, returned messages left after hours.

Droughns, who signed a three-year contract extension with the Browns earlier this year, rushed for 1,232 yards last season on 309 carries, scoring two touchdowns. He was traded to Cleveland from Denver in March 2005.

Earlier this month, a jury decided Droughns was not impaired by alcohol when an Ohio State Patrol trooper pulled him over Nov. 1. A breath test showed Droughns had an alcohol level of 0.08, the state's legal limit.

Droughns was charged with failing the Breathalyzer test, driving under the influence and traveling 50 mph in a 35-mph zone.

Droughns and his wife, Kellie, disputed the trooper's testimony that Droughns was weaving, and Droughns said he was unfamiliar with the speed limit in the area. Droughns said he drank three cocktails at a Halloween party that night.
Looks like we might be finding out how good William Green really is, after all. :popcorn:
Why .....If all those NFL players accused of domestic violence were suspended or lost their job there would not be enough players available for every team.

It s absolutely nothing and it wont affect him at all.

If anything, I'm going to bump RD up now that I know that he has a mean streak.
Because everyone knows that being able to beat the crap out of a woman makes one a better NFL player.Nice.

This sudden onset of rage on Plummer's & Droughn's part seem to coincide suspiciously with the smoking ban imposed by the state legislature and with the sale of Tubby's.
In protest of both I plan on road raging this weekend and then laying hands upon Droughns' wife as well. For those outside of Colorado they probably aren't aware, but these are now very comon forms of protest here.Red Auerbach would not tolerate Colorado's smoking ban, but me, like a ##### I'll complain, but ultimately do nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anything, I'm going to bump RD up now that I know that he has a mean streak.
Because everyone knows that being able to beat the crap out of a woman makes one a better NFL player.Nice.
She's small but she's wirery. Also she can take a punch nearly as good as Robin Givens in her prime. Only a fool would underestimate her as an opponent.

Droughns is starting to look like a bit of a headcase.  Always thought he was more the blue-collar type guy.
I thought so, too. Back in Denver he seemed to have a good head on his shoulders, but obviously he's got some demons.
It certainly sounds as though he lives with one. :unsure:

:lmao: That's true. The last monster season Rod Smith had was the year before he went to anger management classes after slapping his wife around one too many times. Once he stopped beating his wife he couldn't beat anybody. Particularly corners off the line of scrimmage :P
113/1343/11 and the #4 ranked fantasy WR (same as the season before anger-management). I'd hate to see what kind of numbers he would have put up if he could only have beaten some corners off the line of scrimmage. :eek:

Put a six pack in the end zone and his wife as the opposing DT and there would be no stopping him :P

:boxing: :banned: :banned: :banned: :banned: :banned: :banned:

there was some speculation of a possible kidnapping charge. i'm not sure if his wife would have to file that complaint against him or if the state could do so without her involvement?

either way reuben needs to get his act together. i'm already avoiding him because of his brutal playoff schedule :shrug:

:yes:
:no:
These things are always the guy's fault, right? :thumbdown: For the record, I've never been involved in any domestic abuse or even close to it but I do know someone who was with a woman who repeatedly hit him and ended up getting arrested for defending himself. He was found not guilty in court but was arrested and spent a night in jail. I know how these things can escalate with some of the crazy women out there.

Droughns is starting to look like a bit of a headcase.  Always thought he was more the blue-collar type guy.
These things are always the guy's fault, right? :thumbdown: For the record, I've never been involved in any domestic abuse or even close to it but I do know someone who was with a woman who repeatedly hit him and ended up getting arrested for defending himself. He was found not guilty in court but was arrested and spent a night in jail. I know how these things can escalate with some of the crazy women out there.
In fact, all Reuben has to do is talk to his backup Willie Green to learn how screwed up women can be. His fiance freaking stabbed him! Talk about a domestic disurbance!

Browns' Droughns free on $2,500 bail in domestic violence case

Cleveland Browns running back Reuben Droughns was released on $2,500 bail Thursday after he was arrested in a domestic violence case.

The 27-year-old, who played for the Denver Broncos until a 2005 trade, faces charges of third-degree assault and harassment. His attorney, Harvey Steinberg, did not immediately return a call.

Droughns surrendered on Wednesday and spent the night in jail before appearing in Arapahoe County Court Thursday, district attorney's spokeswoman Kathleen Walsh said.

The judge issued an order barring Droughns from any contact with his accuser, whose name was not released.

Conviction on the assault charge, a class 1 misdemeanor, would carry a penalty of six to 18 months in jail, Walsh said. Conviction on the harassment charge, a class 3 felony, would carry a penalty of up to six months in jail.

Sheriff's Capt. Mark Fisher said the charges stemmed from a May 12 incident in this south Denver suburb. No details of the incident were released.

Browns officials issued a statement saying they were aware of the case and were taking it seriously but had no other comment.

Droughns' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, did not immediately return a message.

Where is the one guy who knows the Cleveland RB situation better than anyone?

Paging George Jefferson for his take on all of this.

George thinks that William Green would have hit his woman harder had he just been given the chance.

Browns' Droughns free on $2,500 bail in domestic violence case

Cleveland Browns running back Reuben Droughns was released on $2,500 bail Thursday after he was arrested in a domestic violence case.

The 27-year-old, who played for the Denver Broncos until a 2005 trade, faces charges of third-degree assault and harassment. His attorney, Harvey Steinberg, did not immediately return a call.

Droughns surrendered on Wednesday and spent the night in jail before appearing in Arapahoe County Court Thursday, district attorney's spokeswoman Kathleen Walsh said.

The judge issued an order barring Droughns from any contact with his accuser, whose name was not released.

Conviction on the assault charge, a class 1 misdemeanor, would carry a penalty of six to 18 months in jail, Walsh said. Conviction on the harassment charge, a class 3 felony, would carry a penalty of up to six months in jail.

Sheriff's Capt. Mark Fisher said the charges stemmed from a May 12 incident in this south Denver suburb. No details of the incident were released.

Browns officials issued a statement saying they were aware of the case and were taking it seriously but had no other comment.

Droughns' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, did not immediately return a message.
Am I the only one who finds it odd that the misdemeanor has a steeper penalty than the felony?

George thinks that William Green would have hit his woman harder had he just been given the chance.
Sorry, what? I was distracted by your avatar. :eek:

"It's reflected in the police report that [Kellie] didn't want the charges to be filed and she's been insistent about that," Droughns' agent said. It will be a lot harder for prosecution to convict Droughns (and cause a league suspension) without his wife's help.

edit: from rotoworld.com

Not sure if this was sarcasm or not, but it was funny in a messed up way.It has some basis in history too... Pittman had his best fantasy season ever in 2004, after being suspended because of that running over his GF with his car thing.

More details per KFFL:

Browns | Arrest report: Droughns threw wife out the door

Sat, 27 May 2006 09:49:16 -0700

The Associated Press reports Cleveland Browns RB Reuben Droughns threw his wife out of the door of their home after she told him she wanted a divorce, according to a sheriff's report. The arrest report claims Kellie Droughns' right arm was hurt in the May 12 incident at their Denver home. The report adds that she called her mother in Texas, who then called the sheriff's department.

Hmm.. it's sad because no one likes to hear about domestic disturbances, family problems, etc. but if KFFL is correct, then this sounds pretty trivial, especially when viewed in light of what some other NFL players have done in the past.

These things are always the guy's fault, right? :thumbdown:
Browns | Arrest report: Droughns threw wife out the doorSat, 27 May 2006 09:49:16 -0700

The Associated Press reports Cleveland Browns RB Reuben Droughns threw his wife out of the door of their home after she told him she wanted a divorce, according to a sheriff's report. The arrest report claims Kellie Droughns' right arm was hurt in the May 12 incident at their Denver home. The report adds that she called her mother in Texas, who then called the sheriff's department.

You were saying?

Browns | Arrest report: Droughns threw wife out the doorSat, 27 May 2006 09:49:16 -0700

You were saying?
Well, it would be easier to pass judgement if we had the Movie Version, but seeing we don't, it takes 2 to tango and I believe making a judgement without walking in a mans shoes is unwise.

You were saying?
Well, it would be easier to pass judgement if we had the Movie Version, but seeing we don't, it takes 2 to tango and I believe making a judgement without walking in a mans shoes is unwise.
Agreed, although I think we've seen this story before. We can leave the details to the police and divorce lawyers.In any event, from a FF perspective, it likely means nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread