What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How's your housing market? (1 Viewer)

Gift funds from rich parents.  Pretty common up here.
Ok.  If I understand correctly:  the nation-wide housing boom on the sub$400k entry-level market is being driven by all cash buyers who do things like waive inspections and pay over the list- with the cash coming from rich parents who want their kids to move out of their basement? 

Not just a teency weency bit of speculation?

lol

We have a lot of people selling in CA and paying cash for homes here.  Supposedly.

Seems like I heard that story once before. 

lol

We have a lot of people selling in CA and paying cash for homes here.  Supposedly.

Seems like I heard that story once before. 
we have this from CA, Seattle, Denver and almost all parts of the us.  Closed one I. Talahasee 12 months ago.  Working on a Hawaii now. 

To many homeowners, talk of a bubble doesn't matter one bit. Any bubble popping will be temporary for most of the country. If you own property in an urban area, you will be fine. The 2008 "bubble" lasted what, three years for many parts of the country? That's nothing to a homeowner. 

And that was at a time when lending practices were horrendous. 

Bottom line: establish good credit, do what you can to own property somewhere/anywhere, pay your bills, have some reserve just in case, and you will be more than fine over the long run. If you can't do this, don't buy property. 

So we have 66 homes listed at $1,000,000+ in our county.

The MLS listings only show what the buyer agent is getting, so I don't know what the seller is getting.  
62 - 3%
2 - 2.5%
2 - 2 %.

I'm getting 2.5% on a $167k pending.   Agent said CA couple was selling 3 rentals and wanted a discount.  Makes sense.  But, listing agent limited the amount of buyers coming in by knocking buyer agent to 2.5% instead of 3%, which helped us to not get in a bidding war.   Seller LOST MONEY by asking for discounted rate.  Same homes within 1/2 mile are now getting $175k offers.  Dumb seller and dumb listing agent.
You have to realize that this situation exists and is perpetuated by the fact that most realtors are holding fast to the traditional way of doing this business.

As discussed above, the old model does a crud job properly giving incentive to agents to have interests aligned with seller.  And buyer's agents, sheesh.  They do incredibly little then if they don't see that same 3%, they don't bring clients to view a property.  We need a better model.  Personally, I think the agent should get a retainer that is his in the event the property doesn't sell.  Something for his time.  And then escalating amounts based upon how good he does for the seller.  That would make heaps more sense.  As for buyer's agents, flat fee only.  I prefer NOT to use an agent when purchasing as it makes my offers much stronger and costs me nothing.  I rarely meet an agent who knows more about my local market than I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
For comparison, in Huntington Beach there are 79 homes between $1M-$2M.

13 offer buying agent 2%

63 offer 2.5%

3 offer 3%

Below $1M there are 124 homes

3 offer 1%

32 offer 2%

6 offer 2.25%

76 offer 2.5%

7 offer 3%

Just spit balling here, how much would you expect to pay to build a 2500' cabin on a hill top? Possibly a log cabin. 

I know it depends on many factors like quality of materials, plumbing, electric, etc. But roughly speaking would you pay the same to build a house as to buy a similar house?  We can do many of the basic things but I won't touch plumbing or most electrical. 

We'd want to keep it simple and an open floor plan, probably 4 bedrooms and a loft, walkout basement. 
So many factors there, location not being the smallest of those.  It is really hard to say. But a few things I can say to consider based on the one I bought:

-Availability of builders and contractors in rural areas will drive you mad unless you can ride herd over them and be there to have eyes on them. Things you wouldn't consider at first (like, its hunting season out here in the mountains so guys just simply don't show up to work until they are done getting their hunting fix in).

-Once you find a good builder/contractor, etc, talk to them about who they recommend to work other services. "Hey plumber, who would you think would be a good guy to run some electric?"  These guys in these more remote areas all know one another and they know who is good and not.

-If you are truly building in the REAL woods, wildlife area: Give a TON of thought to the fact that you are now the guest in Mother nature's land. That means, think about the building requirements to deter termites, squirrels, rats, snakes,...lady BUGS and wasps!  Then build accordingly. DOn't skimp. Seal those roof structures and roof lines and ground entry points and clear that land so you aren't building condos for raccoons and opossums, etc.  If your'e building a log cabin, know the pests in the area so you know what material is a death sentence and which will hod up to your hot, dry, moist, etc area.  

-It cost money but two words: TIN/metal roof. Okay, maybe that's three words but do it.  If you're truly in the woods, the protection against falling trees, blown wildfire cinders, moss, critters, high winds.  You will thank me somewhere down the road.

-Simple layout is very good, I agree. Especially when your'e thinking about heating/cooling and relation to remoteness and possible outages.  Most cabins have a fire place in some capacity and a fire place is worth its weight in gold (even a propane one...actually, I prefer it for a few reasons).  

-Depending on area, the walkout basement may be an issue you want to consider.  Unless you are living there full time, are you prepared to concern yourself with flooding, the easier access to humans and critters, etc? Just a thought. 

-Get to know your neighbors (even if they are a mile or 5 away).  This is just my limited experience based on one experience but it is very helpful and enriches the experience greatly. 

Hope this helps, OZ.

So many factors there, location not being the smallest of those.  It is really hard to say. But a few things I can say to consider based on the one I bought:

-Availability of builders and contractors in rural areas will drive you mad unless you can ride herd over them and be there to have eyes on them. Things you wouldn't consider at first (like, its hunting season out here in the mountains so guys just simply don't show up to work until they are done getting their hunting fix in).

-Once you find a good builder/contractor, etc, talk to them about who they recommend to work other services. "Hey plumber, who would you think would be a good guy to run some electric?"  These guys in these more remote areas all know one another and they know who is good and not.

-If you are truly building in the REAL woods, wildlife area: Give a TON of thought to the fact that you are now the guest in Mother nature's land. That means, think about the building requirements to deter termites, squirrels, rats, snakes,...lady BUGS and wasps!  Then build accordingly. DOn't skimp. Seal those roof structures and roof lines and ground entry points and clear that land so you aren't building condos for raccoons and opossums, etc.  If your'e building a log cabin, know the pests in the area so you know what material is a death sentence and which will hod up to your hot, dry, moist, etc area.  

-It cost money but two words: TIN/metal roof. Okay, maybe that's three words but do it.  If you're truly in the woods, the protection against falling trees, blown wildfire cinders, moss, critters, high winds.  You will thank me somewhere down the road.

-Simple layout is very good, I agree. Especially when your'e thinking about heating/cooling and relation to remoteness and possible outages.  Most cabins have a fire place in some capacity and a fire place is worth its weight in gold (even a propane one...actually, I prefer it for a few reasons).  

-Depending on area, the walkout basement may be an issue you want to consider.  Unless you are living there full time, are you prepared to concern yourself with flooding, the easier access to humans and critters, etc? Just a thought. 

-Get to know your neighbors (even if they are a mile or 5 away).  This is just my limited experience based on one experience but it is very helpful and enriches the experience greatly. 

Hope this helps, OZ.
Good stuff and thanks. I'll have time later to read more. For the flooding, we're on the top of a decent sized Hill so I'm not worried about that so much, but critters are for real.

Good stuff and thanks. I'll have time later to read more. For the flooding, we're on the top of a decent sized Hill so I'm not worried about that so much, but critters are for real.
Flooding doesn't just involve standing water.  If the stream/drainage flows through your house, it's still flooding.  (A friend of mine did that.)  Also, make sure you get a good geological survey.  You want a good stable piece of land.

Good luck.

It’s the 17th month in a row that Seattle has led the country in home-price increases. That’s a record for Seattle and the longest streak for any metro area since San Francisco’s 20-month run that ended in 2001.
There are housing developments and apartment buildings going up every where you look.  Here is an example near our neighborhood that plans to quintuple the City of Black Diamond, approximately 30 miles south east of Seattle.  My property has increased 37% in price since I bought in August of 2013.

ETA:  I think that site plan is just the first 350 homes out of over 6000 planned.

There are housing developments and apartment buildings going up every where you look.  Here is an example near our neighborhood that plans to quintuple the City of Black Diamond, approximately 30 miles south east of Seattle.  My property has increased 37% in price since I bought in August of 2013.

ETA:  I think that site plan is just the first 350 homes out of over 6000 planned.
Zillow ranks Raleigh 2nd hottest market in 2018. My house has increased 22% since Sep 14 and it's the same to other cities, shortage of properties, huge influx of new residents, good job opportunities. Yaddayadda, if there is a patch of dirt, they are developing.

The current median price of a single-family house in Seattle is at an all-time high of $777,000, while on the Eastside, it’s a record $950,000. In Snohomish County, the typical house costs a record $485,000, and in Pierce County, homes are going for $325,000, also the most ever.

Prices continue to swell as the local population surges across the metro area while the number of homes for sale has slid to the lowest level in decades, creating feverish competition among homebuyers. Total for-sale inventory across the metro area is down 20 percent just in the past year, which is double the national decline, according to Zillow.

Just spent the most wicked four weeks of real estate ever. one closing and five pending.  Two of the pending are on their second pending in that time.  One had the tenants not move out on this past Monday when it was supposed to close and it cancelled the deal, after giving them SIX weeks to move out.

The insanity of the market has wicked circumstances coming up in every deal.  Never seen anything like it.

One of the pendings lost after offering 4k, 4k, 7k, 6k, 10.5k, 10k, 15k, 15k, and 15k over on 9 offers. Finally accepted on a coming soon not in the MLS a friend had as a pocket.  

It's not a bubble.  Just supply and demand.  

Watched a great video Sunday night explaining why.

One of the major reasons is home builders are not building starter homes at remotely the pace they did 10 to 15 years ago. There just isn't enough housing for the demand right now. Builders are also not over building these days either.  

It's not a bubble.  Just supply and demand.  

Watched a great video Sunday night explaining why.

One of the major reasons is home builders are not building starter homes at remotely the pace they did 10 to 15 years ago. There just isn't enough housing for the demand right now. Builders are also not over building these days either.  
I see the same thing in land development.  In the mid 2000s in my area land developers would come in and build golf courses, miles and miles of roads and utilities before even selling a lot.  Now they are being smarter about phasing infrastructure and limiting their upfront costs before getting lots sold, which decreases the size of their bubble and minimizes their exposure if/when the downturn hits.

Anyone know how accurate the Zillow Zestimate is? I’m sure the variance changes based on location. My house has gone up 31% in 1 year. I’m in Chicago. 

Anyone know how accurate the Zillow Zestimate is? I’m sure the variance changes based on location. My house has gone up 31% in 1 year. I’m in Chicago. 
:lmao:

not very accurate at all. It's an algorithm and they don't have great data, especially in non-disclosure states. 

I see the same thing in land development.  In the mid 2000s in my area land developers would come in and build golf courses, miles and miles of roads and utilities before even selling a lot.  Now they are being smarter about phasing infrastructure and limiting their upfront costs before getting lots sold, which decreases the size of their bubble and minimizes their exposure if/when the downturn hits.
While I agree with his statement about not being in a bubble, housing costs are far far far outpacing wages, couple that with rising rates which further hampers affordability, and we're not to far off from the end of this cycle (basically, they're elevated a little higher than they should be thanks to endless years of minimal interest rates, but not a bubble). This is nothing like the late 2000's where a stripper "owned" 12 homes, and it won't be an epic crash, but prices will start to level off if rates continue to rise and we near our next recession (maybe 2020-2021, who knows).

Supply is the main driver of appreciation right now - we are 9 years into an economic expansion, people have money, they're buying houses - just about any real estate agent I've spoken with says that this dynamic of overwhelming demand coupled with minimal supply is here forever. They typically laugh when I explain that this time is no different than any other in history, the cycle will end, supply/demand will come back to equilibrium, but only those with a crystal ball know when.

The city council is working on that problem for you ;)
Pretty torn on that one. Not going to act like I know how they should handle it but some type of measures need to be inacted IMO. I’m a homeowner in Seattle neighborhood and wife works at Amazon. If I understand the compromise was to cut the tax proposal in half and reevaluate in 5 years. 

Also worth noting, typically those at the top of the market with all the wealth get wind of a housing slowdown first; in NYC they aren't getting close to ask and they're on the market longer than they've been in years - it appears they're getting message. 

What is the % change? 80k is relative. 
It's an algorithm - easiest way I can explain; it just looks at data from sold homes in the area to calculate the price... It falls short when it comes to looking at details like renovations, work done, etc.. 

You can get the comps yourself - real estate records are public. Finding comps is simple and that'll give you a great frame of reference for what things in your neighborhood are going for. 

While I agree with his statement about not being in a bubble, housing costs are far far far outpacing wages, couple that with rising rates which further hampers affordability, and we're not to far off from the end of this cycle (basically, they're elevated a little higher than they should be thanks to endless years of minimal interest rates, but not a bubble). This is nothing like the late 2000's where a stripper "owned" 12 homes, and it won't be an epic crash, but prices will start to level off if rates continue to rise and we near our next recession (maybe 2020-2021, who knows).

Supply is the main driver of appreciation right now - we are 9 years into an economic expansion, people have money, they're buying houses - just about any real estate agent I've spoken with says that this dynamic of overwhelming demand coupled with minimal supply is here forever. They typically laugh when I explain that this time is no different than any other in history, the cycle will end, supply/demand will come back to equilibrium, but only those with a crystal ball know when.
This will be a market-by-market thing IMO.   Some of the high priced areas like you mentioned are starting to see a top.  Gov't wants RE to go up 4-6% per year. The pricey areas will come back down to that line at some point in the next few years.  Just normal cycles.  

Another main reason prices are going up is that investors bought the foreclosures 10 years ago and they're not selling them. No reason to with rising rents. The average person use to sell in 6 years. It's almost 10 years now.

We just sold our house for 9% higher than the zEstimate. Again this is the SF Bay Area, so everything's nuts. Cinco de Mayo weekend seemed like a near-perfect time.

Listed our house Saturday and by Tuesday had about 14 viewings.  We received an offer on Monday (above our listing price) and accepted.  Crossing my fingers that it doesn't fall through but this was a very smooth process.

Rhythmdoctor said:
I don’t know. The Fed controls rates in either direction. Basically rates themselves are artificial. 
The Fed does not control mortgage interest rates. They can influence them to an extent, but there are many factors that go into the yield of mortgage bonds.

Houses last a week and go for more than asking...crazy.  we were looking to upgrade but are now looking at spending a bunch on renovations.  I dont want to buy a slightly nicer house for $150,000 more and then still have to do work on it.

Rhythmdoctor said:
I don’t know. The Fed controls rates in either direction. Basically rates themselves are artificial. 
Yes, but they intentionally kept rates low to re-inflate the market in the last 8 years.  Really, the last 15 years.  

The Fed does not control mortgage interest rates. They can influence them to an extent, but there are many factors that go into the yield of mortgage bonds.
Not directly, but they have a strong indirect influence and the Fed rate was quite intentionally kept at those low levels to spur further lending - particularly in the consumer borrowing space.

Yes, but they intentionally kept rates low to re-inflate the market in the last 8 years.  Really, the last 15 years.  
My point is that who says .25% is too low?  We're used to fluctuations/manipulations in rates but that doesn't mean it should be the norm.  And I'm not necessarily saying rates should be .25%, just that rates are what the Feds deem them to be, hence they are artificial.

The Fed controls EVERYTHING related to money.  It's done very discreetly and indirectly but I can assure you, the Fed literally controls our nation's currency from every angle and in every way.  If you control the currency, you set prices interest rates and everything else related to money/currency.

Users who are viewing this thread