What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Green Egg Grill (1 Viewer)

As always we picked ten times the amount of apples my little family can eat (even my rabbit is saying "wtf" when I cut him another slice :) )

I am making ribs this weekend. Any ideas/suggestions for how to incorporate apples, either directly with the ribs and/or as a side dish?

Well, I've heard people when they wrap their pork shoulders they put sliced apples in with the pork. Hell if I know if it makes a difference. You could do the same with the ribs if you wrap them?

:shrug:

Well, I've heard people when they wrap their pork shoulders they put sliced apples in with the pork. Hell if I know if it makes a difference. You could do the same with the ribs if you wrap them?

:shrug:
I do wrap for a couple of hours.

Maybe I should replace the honey I used during wrapping with apple slices (or I can do both I guess)?

And should I remove the apple peel?

Since I have started, I've always gone 3-2-1 on spares at 225

Anyone smoke at 275 for 4 hours. Was watching BBQ pitmasters and this seemed to be what the competition people do.

I'm having a party next week and want to plan a butt and ribs. Trying to find the time.

Anyone smoke at 275 for 4 hours. Was watching BBQ pitmasters and this seemed to be what the competition people do.

I'm having a party next week and want to plan a butt and ribs. Trying to find the time.
You should have plenty of room to do both in a large. I've done 4 w a butt

i can barely fit 4 racks alone without the butt. How do you configure this

I think you would need a vertical rib rack to use with the adjustable rig. Set the butt on one level and then the rib rack on the other level.

Thanks NR. I actually have one of those 4 slot rib rack but mine come out a lot better when I don't use it. But maybe for a cook like this, I will have to

Still thinking of trying the 275 for 4 hours though. Butt could be foiled and put in cooler while ribs cook

Thanks NR. I actually have one of those 4 slot rib rack but mine come out a lot better when I don't use it. But maybe for a cook like this, I will have to

Still thinking of trying the 275 for 4 hours though. Butt could be foiled and put in cooler while ribs cook
I have been doing my ribs for 5 hours (3 open, 1 foiled and 1 open) at 250 this season and have loved the texture. The 2 hours in the foil at 225 using 3-2-1 was making them a bit too mushy for my tastes.

Let us know how the 4 hour at 275 works out. Like you I have seen this technique used many times on tv.

I have been doing my ribs for 5 hours (3 open, 1 foiled and 1 open) at 250 this season and have loved the texture. The 2 hours in the foil at 225 using 3-2-1 was making them a bit too mushy for my tastes.

Let us know how the 4 hour at 275 works out. Like you I have seen this technique used many times on tv.
No longer doing the butt. I think I am going to try your 3-1-1 method and see how that works. I dont mind the texture but I am looking for a litttle more bite to it instead of just fall off the bone.

Smoke butt on rig rack 3 for 12 hours-ish. During this time it will shrink. Remove it and drop it to level 1. Place original grate on top of rig with vertical rib rack. This is also a good time to clean out the drip pan, stir the firebox and add more live wood if you want.

Smoke butt on rig rack 3 for 12 hours-ish. During this time it will shrink.
When I smoke a pork butt at 250, it reaches internal temp of 200 at around 6 hours (4 hours open, two in foil). The pork butts are around 4-5 pounds (boneless).

Why is mine cooking so much faster than yours? Even at 225, I could not see getting anywhere near 12+ hours. Does the bone affect the smoking time that much?

I think I have seen whole pork shoulders that seem much bigger than what I cook, which is labeled pork butt. I could see a whole pork shoulder (something in the 12 pound range) taking 12+ hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone tried to use a tea mixture to smoke with? I think this is an Asian technique but was unsure how to go about it for the Egg.

NewlyRetired said:

Smoke butt on rig rack 3 for 12 hours-ish. During this time it will shrink.
When I smoke a pork butt at 250, it reaches internal temp of 200 at around 6 hours (4 hours open, two in foil).The pork butts are around 4-5 pounds (boneless).

Why is mine cooking so much faster than yours? Even at 225, I could not see getting anywhere near 12+ hours. Does the bone affect the smoking time that much?

I think I have seen whole pork shoulders that seem much bigger than what I cook, which is labeled pork butt. I could see a whole pork shoulder (something in the 12 pound range) taking 12+ hours.
Not sure. I've done 10-12 pounders at 225 and they take about 18 hrs. I can make them take 8 hrs if I texas crutch them, but w a butt it isn't worth the effort IMO. I've always done bone in whole. The half ones I cook take much less than 50% of the time of a whole. It's probable that the cook time isn't linear.

I have made 7-8 pound butts, bone in and both have taken around 10-12ish hours.

The one thing I noticed is that I never have a stall. I dont wrap and I spray with apple juice every hour after the first two. It actually kills me because I start early for the stall and then it never happens

Looks like a good idea to me. I'm still working on Asianed short ribs.
what sauce are you using for those?
I do a pretty standard viet sauce with hoisin/fish sauce/siracha and add some 5 spice to it. It's still a work in progress overall. Last time I did it with some live wood, and it was too smokey for the flavors. Next time will do it with no live smoke and over hardwood lump coals rather than my normal mesquite lump.

I do a pretty standard viet sauce with hoisin/fish sauce/siracha and add some 5 spice to it. It's still a work in progress overall. Last time I did it with some live wood, and it was too smokey for the flavors. Next time will do it with no live smoke and over hardwood lump coals rather than my normal mesquite lump.
did you rub with the 5 spice mix or something different?

did you rub with the 5 spice mix or something different?
yes, primarily plus salt/pepper and added a touch of extra dry Chinese hot mustard. I don't recommend getting that stuff in your nose btw.

3-1-1 method was fantastic. Gives a little bite to the rib. I was very happy with it, thanks

Now, i just need to try the 275 for 4 hours and see what happens there

I just got one of these this weekend. It belonged my dad, and wanted to replace his BGE with a dedicated smoker, so he gave me his. I have to say that this thing is pretty awesome. I smoked a turkey breast on it yesterday despite an air temp in the single digits. Not knowing exactly what to do, I cooked it at about 300 for 3 hours, and when I tested it with a meat thermometer it registered at 180 so I was afraid I had overcooked it, but it actually turned out perfect. Am I correct that there's a decent margin for error here?

I just got one of these this weekend. It belonged my dad, and wanted to replace his BGE with a dedicated smoker, so he gave me his. I have to say that this thing is pretty awesome. I smoked a turkey breast on it yesterday despite an air temp in the single digits. Not knowing exactly what to do, I cooked it at about 300 for 3 hours, and when I tested it with a meat thermometer it registered at 180 so I was afraid I had overcooked it, but it actually turned out perfect. Am I correct that there's a decent margin for error here?
if you are not cooking for a competition, you need to decide what internal temp is right for your pallet.

I think Turkey legs are typically pulled out at about 165 so 180 is not that much higher that you would notice any real difference unless you really knew what to look for.

Congrats on your BGE acquisition. It is a really fun cooking vessel.

Do you know what size you have?

3-1-1 method was fantastic. Gives a little bite to the rib. I was very happy with it, thanks

awesome! I have been very happy with this method as well. What did you use during the 1 hour wrapped phase? I typically smother honey on top and add just a tiny bit of fruit juice to the bottom of the foil pouch.

Once the ice is melted from my deck, I am going to trying the tea smoked ribs I talked about earlier in the thread, I will let you guys know how they turned out.

if you are not cooking for a competition, you need to decide what internal temp is right for your pallet.

I think Turkey legs are typically pulled out at about 165 so 180 is not that much higher that you would notice any real difference unless you really knew what to look for.

It's a "medium." Plenty large enough to cook for me and my family, but that's it.

awesome! I have been very happy with this method as well. What did you use during the 1 hour wrapped phase? I typically smother honey on top and add just a tiny bit of fruit juice to the bottom of the foil pouch.

Once the ice is melted from my deck, I am going to trying the tea smoked ribs I talked about earlier in the thread, I will let you guys know how they turned out.
apple juice

It's a "medium." Plenty large enough to cook for me and my family, but that's it.
nice!

By the way, do you know what your dad got for a dedicated smoker and if he is enjoying it so far?

By the way, do you know what your dad got for a dedicated smoker and if he is enjoying it so far?
No idea, sorry.

I absolutely love how well this thing retains heat. I live in South Dakota, so I can't really grill anything for 4-5 months out of the year. This is going to be great during the winter.

My brother got a device for his where he can monitor internal and external temperature as well as control heat via airflow with his iphone.

He loves smoking meat so much now I go to Costco with him and split the cost. He delivers my half to my house twice a week.

No idea, sorry.

I absolutely love how well this thing retains heat. I live in South Dakota, so I can't really grill anything for 4-5 months out of the year. This is going to be great during the winter.
the only thing that keeps me from using mine during the winter here in Boston is too much snow on deck. I try to keep up with it but sometimes it just comes too much too fast and I give up.

My brother got a device for his where he can monitor internal and external temperature as well as control heat via airflow with his iphone.

He loves smoking meat so much now I go to Costco with him and split the cost. He delivers my half to my house twice a week.
yeah, we linked to a few of these devices earlier in the thread. I have not purchased one yet because I don't tend to do very long cooks (like overnights), but they seem to be very well liked by people who employ them.

My warranty claim for a new fire box was approved today and the local dealer will include it in the next order. I'd expect nothing less given the lifetime warranty that is such a big put of the company marketing, but they really do make it very easy. My Egg sits outside, uncovered in Wisconsin 365/yr. The fire box cracked after about 6 years and it's now in two pieces. Still works fine, but is a bit cumbersome getting in and out for cleaning, which I do a couple times a year.

My warranty claim for a new fire box was approved today and the local dealer will include it in the next order. I'd expect nothing less given the lifetime warranty that is such a big put of the company marketing, but they really do make it very easy. My Egg sits outside, uncovered in Wisconsin 365/yr. The fire box cracked after about 6 years and it's now in two pieces. Still works fine, but is a bit cumbersome getting in and out for cleaning, which I do a couple times a year.
My buddy just got a new xl, and I recommended a cover for him and while he was waiting for it in the mail, his XL froze shut (rained and then temp dropped quickly). How do you keep yours from freezing shut in winter?

My buddy just got a new xl, and I recommended a cover for him and while he was waiting for it in the mail, his XL froze shut (rained and then temp dropped quickly). How do you keep yours from freezing shut in winter?
I've seen people put what amounts to a shim in the front one cooled off then put a cover on it. If under a cover it's really not that prone to freezing up though.

I've seen people put what amounts to a shim in the front one cooled off then put a cover on it. If under a cover it's really not that prone to freezing up though.
My daisy wheel freezes up all the time, but I've never had a problem with the dome. It freezes shut, but I've never had difficulty getting it open.

I don't use the shim but I have always used a cover. I have not frozen shut once here in Boston. Although like Cletius said, even if it freezes shut, there are easy ways to thaw it.

Does anyone get a black liquid that comes off the daisy wheel and runs down the front of the egg?
i just checked. I have some small (1 inch or less) dark marks towards the top of my Egg just under the daisy wheel. I just assumed it was grease build up.

But nothing as big that would run down the whole Egg. Seems to just stop quickly near the top. You can't even see it with the wheel on. It is on the "neck" part of the Egg

Do you clean burn your daisy wheel from time to time?

OK it is barely 20 degrees outside today but I am attempting the Asian style ribs (they are cooking right now) Here are the steps I am taking and general recipe:

1) butcher ribs to the style you like and remove membrane.

2) make marinade: soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, honey, ginger, garlic, sriracha sauce

3) marinate ribs for 2 hours

4) make foil tea packet: cut up 7 bags of tea, fresh ginger, brown sugar, orange peel and uncooked rice

5) set up egg for 250 indirect and put foil packet with slits on hot coals

6) cook ribs for 3 hours

7) wrap ribs in foil with an apple sauce, sriracha sauce mix, cook for 1 hour

8) heat glaze on stove top: garlic, ginger, teriyaki, pineapple juice and a little brown sugar, heat until all blended

9) after ribs have cooked one hour in foil, take out of foil and let cook unfoiled for one more hour

10) add glaze during last 30 minutes, finishing off with one coat of glaze during the end

While not as aromatically strong as cooking with wood, I can definitely smell the tea smoking in the cold air.

OK it is barely 20 degrees outside today but I am attempting the Asian style ribs (they are cooking right now) Here are the steps I am taking and general recipe:

1) butcher ribs to the style you like and remove membrane.

2) make marinade: soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, honey, ginger, garlic, sriracha sauce

3) marinate ribs for 2 hours

4) make foil tea packet: cut up 7 bags of tea, fresh ginger, brown sugar, orange peel and uncooked rice

5) set up egg for 250 indirect and put foil packet with slits on hot coals

6) cook ribs for 3 hours

7) wrap ribs in foil with an apple sauce, sriracha sauce mix, cook for 1 hour

8) heat glaze on stove top: garlic, ginger, teriyaki, pineapple juice and a little brown sugar, heat until all blended

9) after ribs have cooked one hour in foil, take out of foil and let cook unfoiled for one more hour

10) add glaze during last 30 minutes, finishing off with one coat of glaze during the end

While not as aromatically strong as cooking with wood, I can definitely smell the tea smoking in the cold air.
Update? :pics:

Users who are viewing this thread