What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Green Egg Grill (1 Viewer)

Another tip I'd never heard before -- pick up each brisket and give it a wiggle. The most flexible one is what you want, because the cow was lazier than the others and therefore has less dense muscle fibers, which will yield a more tender final product. Interestingly she said 50% of cooking a really tender brisket is selecting the right one. Good way to look like an expert at Costco, if nothing else.
I wouldn't buy one out of a cryo bag. Jmho.

You have to trust the grading

Question:

When I watch videos from people using other grills they say things like cook over direct heat "medium" or "medium hot"

How would those terms translate for the BGE temperature guage?

Question:

When I watch videos from people using other grills they say things like cook over direct heat "medium" or "medium hot"

I usually use 350* as the "medium" gauge. My suggestion is simply cook to temp, not time.

I put my hand over the top exhaust. If I have to pull it back immediately, its hot. If I can leave it there a second or so, its medium. If I can leave my hand over the exhaust for several seconds, its low heat.

Question:

I usually use 350* as the "medium" gauge. My suggestion is simply cook to temp, not time.
I typically do cook to temp.

I was looking at a recipe that was not something you would cook to temp per say. It was from the bbqpitboys.

It was basically a hamburger wrapped in dough. The hamburger was already fully cooked before wrapping in the dough and then cooked over "medium" indirect heat until the dough was golden brown.

I was thinking 350 is as good a spot as any for a medium heat.

I put my hand directly on the grill. If I get third degree burns immediately, it's hot. If I only get some light blistering, it's medium. If neither of those things happen, the fire has gone out and I need to relight the coals.

I put my hand over the top exhaust. If I have to pull it back immediately, its hot. If I can leave it there a second or so, its medium. If I can leave my hand over the exhaust for several seconds, its low heat.
I have heard this technique but I always read it was suppose to be done roughly 3 inches above your grate.

I have heard this technique but I always read it was suppose to be done roughly 3 inches above your grate.
I think I've seen that as well. I like my method better, as I don't have to open the dome.

I have not done beer can chicken in a long time and want to do it tonight.

Do you guys use direct or indirect heat with this technique? I am leaning towards 375 indirect.

Do you guys use direct or indirect heat with this technique? I am leaning towards 375 indirect.
Not a fan of beer can chicken. It's a gimmick which adds nothing.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/debunking_beer_can_chicken.html
It is kind of fun though.

Definitely check out that link, as well as just about anything Meathead Goldwyn writes about. That guy has shot holes through so many techniques I thought I knew were best.

Not a fan of beer can chicken. It's a gimmick which adds nothing.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/debunking_beer_can_chicken.html
It is kind of fun though.

Definitely check out that link, as well as just about anything Meathead Goldwyn writes about. That guy has shot holes through so many techniques I thought I knew were best.
The only reason I would do beer can is if I wanted to do 3 or 4 chickens. Upright, they fit nicely in the egg.

Random questions that probably have no right answer. Just interested in various opinions:

1) do you soak your wood chunks in a liquid before smoking?

2) when you wrap your meat in foil, do you keep the foil tight to the meat or do you leave some air space under the foil seal?

3) how often do you perform a clean burn? Is it based on time or number of uses?

4) how long do you let your egg sit at target temp before putting your food on?

Random questions that probably have no right answer. Just interested in various opinions:

2) when you wrap your meat in foil, do you keep the foil tight to the meat or do you leave some air space under the foil seal?

3) how often do you perform a clean burn? Is it based on time or number of uses?

1 never. Not only is this not needed it may be dangerous to your health.

2. Never al on meat. Again health reasons. Parchment paper first then al foil.

3. Whenever I can't get the gunk off easily. Monthly maybe. Depending on use pattern.

4. Depends on the temp. 350 not long at all 5 min tops. 200 15 min. >450 basically immediately.

3. Whenever I can't get the gunk off easily. Monthly maybe. Depending on use pattern.

4. Depends on the temp. 350 not long at all 5 min tops. 200 15 min. >450 basically immediately.
Wow, I never knew foil was bad.

I have watched hundreds and hundreds of bbq shows on tv and never saw anyone use anything to make a barrier between the foil and meat.

Learn something new every day.

1. never, just place the wood in semi-concentric circles to have smoke at various stages of the cook. Also, smoke usually does not permeate the meat after a certain point, so don't go crazy.

2. Never heard of the health thing with foil (doesn't mean anything, though), and just use it regularly. I leave a bit of room, never wrap too tightly.

3. I honestly don't think I've ever done a clean burn. I just vacuum out the egg a few times per season.

5. I let the smoke run clear, and then I place the food on the grid.

http://eggheadforum.com/search?Search=Indirect+cookinghttp://eggheadforum.com/search?Search=Adjustable+rig

Many people use an adjustable rig, which is way more flexible/versatile. I still use my plate setter, but once it breaks I'll follow the herd.
Ever since buying the R&B combo early last year, I have not used my plate setter since. Everyone who recommended it was spot on. The versatility is through the roof and the shape of the stone is great for ribs.http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/big-green-egg-large-adjustable-rig.html
The thing I like about the plate setter is that I can easily switch from direct to indirect and back - is it the same with this rig? Which combo do you recommend? I would say about 75% of my grilling is beef, chicken, pork, where I typically start with browning/searing on high direct heat, then put the plate setter in and shut vents to cook/finish with indirect. I do low/slow stuff like ribs, shoulder and brisket about 6-8 times a year.

Thanks for the advice. This thing is pretty expensive obviously.

p.s. - it was my FIL who broke the plate setter. He was helping me with some work in the back yard and he hardly noticed as it shattered into several pieces. I said nothing at the time, quietly put the pieces in the garbage later. If he had any inkling of what its going to cost me to replace, I would never hear the end of it.
I got the R&B combo, that should work great for you.

You can switch from direct to indirect very easily.
I finally got my R&B combo set up yesterday. Can I jump right in with ribs tomorrow or is there a learning curve with this? Or some sort of break-in needed? I've not read anything or looked at any videos, just taking this on faith based on the strong recommendation here.

http://eggheadforum.com/search?Search=Indirect+cookinghttp://eggheadforum.com/search?Search=Adjustable+rig

Many people use an adjustable rig, which is way more flexible/versatile. I still use my plate setter, but once it breaks I'll follow the herd.
Ever since buying the R&B combo early last year, I have not used my plate setter since. Everyone who recommended it was spot on. The versatility is through the roof and the shape of the stone is great for ribs.http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/big-green-egg-large-adjustable-rig.html
The thing I like about the plate setter is that I can easily switch from direct to indirect and back - is it the same with this rig? Which combo do you recommend? I would say about 75% of my grilling is beef, chicken, pork, where I typically start with browning/searing on high direct heat, then put the plate setter in and shut vents to cook/finish with indirect. I do low/slow stuff like ribs, shoulder and brisket about 6-8 times a year.

Thanks for the advice. This thing is pretty expensive obviously.

p.s. - it was my FIL who broke the plate setter. He was helping me with some work in the back yard and he hardly noticed as it shattered into several pieces. I said nothing at the time, quietly put the pieces in the garbage later. If he had any inkling of what its going to cost me to replace, I would never hear the end of it.
I got the R&B combo, that should work great for you.

You can switch from direct to indirect very easily.
I finally got my R&B combo set up yesterday. Can I jump right in with ribs tomorrow or is there a learning curve with this? Or some sort of break-in needed? I've not read anything or looked at any videos, just taking this on faith based on the strong recommendation here.
Jump right in. Ribs were the first thing I cooked last year. No real learning curve needed.

Wow, I never knew foil was bad.

I have watched hundreds and hundreds of bbq shows on tv and never saw anyone use anything to make a barrier between the foil and meat.

Learn something new every day.
http://www.electrochemsci.org/papers/vol7/7054498.pdf

http://gnowfglins.com/2013/07/09/rethinking-aluminum-foil/

There are more sources on this. It's just not a risk I take. Others may just go with it. It takes minimal effort to do a parchment wrap so there is no contact with the foil.

I found a steak grilling process online that I never tried before and gave it a shot. Requires searing at about 750 for a minute a side and then letting the steak sit for about 20 minutes. The idea being that the shock of the sear constricts the muscles and letting it rest that long softens them up again for the grill. Bring down the grill to 400 and cook how ever minutes you like per side. I did it 5 minutes per side. Came out awesome, extremely tender.

eta: dome up for sear

Last edited by a moderator:

1- I always soak in water for an hour. I find it to be too smoky throwing them on dry. Not that I would care myself by my yard is small and I try not to annoy my neighbors too much. As it is some of them close their windows when I begin grilling.

2 - Loosely wrapped in foil

3 - once a year

4- when I only see heat coming out of the top, maybe some light smoke.

I like hottubbing or throwing the steaks directly on the coals when they are completely embers. Buying a nice beef tenderloin for Father's Day this weekend. Should be a big hit.

I found a steak grilling process online that I never tried before and gave it a shot. Requires searing at about 750 for a minute a side and then letting the steak sit for about 20 minutes. The idea being that the shock of the sear constricts the muscles and letting it rest that long softens them up again for the grill. Bring down the grill to 400 and cook how ever minutes you like per side. I did it 5 minutes per side. Came out awesome, extremely tender.
What was the IT when you were done?

It was a 2.5 lb. whole top sirloin that I left on longer than normal since I was splitting it with my wife. I took it off at around 153 using an instant read. If I'm grilling two steaks, I'll take mine off at like 140 and leave hers on into the low 150's.

We had enough left over to throw on a salad yesterday. :thumbup:

link

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be attempting my first brisket on Saturday. Had to special order it from the butcher. He was already getting one sent over and added mine to the delivery. He has to order it from another neighborhood since, as he put it, "not enough Jews live around here to make it worth carrying" :D I guess not enough people smoking either.

The most common method seems to be pulling it from the grill, wrapping in foil and keeping in a cooler for some time. Temps and cooler time seem to vary. I'm guessing somewhere in the 185-195 range (although I've seen 200-205) before putting into the cooler. I've seen cooler time from 30 minutes to 3+ hours. Are you leaving the probe in? What temp when done or do you just do a feel test? It'll be about a 5-6 lb. flat.

It was a 2.5 lb. whole top sirloin that I left on longer than normal since I was splitting it with my wife. I took it off at around 153 using an instant read. If I'm grilling two steaks, I'll take mine off at like 140 and leave hers on into the low 150's.

We had enough left over to throw on a salad yesterday. :thumbup:

link
I've used Trex many times, awesome way to do it :thumbup:

I'll be attempting my first brisket on Saturday. Had to special order it from the butcher. He was already getting one sent over and added mine to the delivery. He has to order it from another neighborhood since, as he put it, "not enough Jews live around here to make it worth carrying" :D I guess not enough people smoking either.

The most common method seems to be pulling it from the grill, wrapping in foil and keeping in a cooler for some time. Temps and cooler time seem to vary. I'm guessing somewhere in the 185-195 range (although I've seen 200-205) before putting into the cooler. I've seen cooler time from 30 minutes to 3+ hours. Are you leaving the probe in? What temp when done or do you just do a feel test? It'll be about a 5-6 lb. flat.
Did you get a packer brisket? Or just a flat?

6 pound flat.

Just did the Dizzy Pig rub and it's sitting overnight in the fridge. Can't wait for tomorrow.

6 pound flat.Just did the Dizzy Pig rub and it's sitting overnight in the fridge. Can't wait for tomorrow.
Love dizzy pig, my go to.

Ah, need to get the point! Burnt ends are incredible.

6 pound flat.Just did the Dizzy Pig rub and it's sitting overnight in the fridge. Can't wait for tomorrow.
Love dizzy pig, my go to.

Ah, need to get the point! Burnt ends are incredible.
Yeah, I'd like to try the whole packer some time.

I'm using Dizzy Dust but running low. Any other recommendations from them? Trying to stay lower sodium though.

So the brisket came out very good. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get it on the grill until 2:30pm. With that in mind, I raised the temp to around 250. It went through the stall at around 169 for a few hours and the temp started to rise again at about 8:30. I had to abandon my original plan to maintain 250 throughout and raised it up to 350, pushing the internal temp to 200 within the next hour. I pulled it off and instead of wrapping and putting it in a cooler, I just covered it in foil and let it sit for about a half hour. It tasted great but could have used a little more time to make it more tender.

No complaints. I knew I had to alter things because of the late start. At least I didn't ruin it! :banned:

Users who are viewing this thread