What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Green Egg Grill (3 Viewers)

Does anyone remember the name of the company that makes the multi-level racks that were recommended in this thread years ago?  @NewlyRetired ?

I bought one about 5 years ago based on the recommendation in this thread and its been great.  Just today I broke the ceramic heat shield piece and need to replace it.

Alternatively, I'd appreciate any recommendations as to multi-level rack systems.  I don't use it to stack food, but more as my system for indirect/direct cooking, and moving the food closer/further from the coals when needed.

tia BGEFBGs

Does anyone remember the name of the company that makes the multi-level racks that were recommended in this thread years ago?  @NewlyRetired ?

I bought one about 5 years ago based on the recommendation in this thread and its been great.  Just today I broke the ceramic heat shield piece and need to replace it.

Alternatively, I'd appreciate any recommendations as to multi-level rack systems.  I don't use it to stack food, but more as my system for indirect/direct cooking, and moving the food closer/further from the coals when needed.

tia BGEFBGs
https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/big-green-egg-large-accessories-by-ceramic-grill-store

I purchased my first accessory for my BGE in years recently and it may be the best one I ever bought.  I can't recommend this enough.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C9XJ28J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It does two things that make life so much better

1) Ash clean up is so easy now.  Before you cook, you don't need to do any stirring.  Just lift the basket and a couple of shakes and it is perfect.  Then when you want to clean the egg, you don't have to try and clean out from the small vent in the bottom, you just lift out the coal and have easy access cleaning from the top.

2) This gadget replaces the plate at the bottom of your egg.  Because this is a basket with large gaps, the air flow is so much better.  The egg comes up to temperature quicker now.

The one I linked is the one I bought but there are many versions.  This linked one is made very solid.

Once you start using it, it makes you think that BGE should be including this in every Egg instead of the bottom plate.

I purchased my first accessory for my BGE in years recently and it may be the best one I ever bought.  I can't recommend this enough.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C9XJ28J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1) Ash clean up is so easy now.  Before you cook, you don't need to do any stirring.  Just lift the basket and a couple of shakes and it is perfect.  Then when you want to clean the egg, you don't have to try and clean out from the small vent in the bottom, you just lift out the coal and have easy access cleaning from the top.

2) This gadget replaces the plate at the bottom of your egg.  Because this is a basket with large gaps, the air flow is so much better.  The egg comes up to temperature quicker now.

The one I linked is the one I bought but there are many versions.  This linked one is made very solid.

Once you start using it, it makes you think that BGE should be including this in every Egg instead of the bottom plate.
I've had that for a couple years, a different one called the Kick Ash basket. I'll be honest -- I left the ceramic plate inside the Egg. I never even considered taking it out, although it seems like the logical thing to do now. I don't think that leaving it in affected my airflow much, if at all. Really considering taking it out now, though. (I'm on my second plate in the 11 years I've had the Egg -- BGE replaced the first one for free when it broke around 5 years ago.)

I've had that for a couple years, a different one called the Kick Ash basket. I'll be honest -- I left the ceramic plate inside the Egg. I never even considered taking it out, although it seems like the logical thing to do now. I don't think that leaving it in affected my airflow much, if at all. Really considering taking it out now, though. (I'm on my second plate in the 11 years I've had the Egg -- BGE replaced the first one for free when it broke around 5 years ago.)
Give it shot.  It will never be less air flow than you have now but there is a chance it will be more.

If you read the reviews on the amazon link, you will see improved air flow is mentioned quite a bit so maybe you will have some luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dinsy Ejotuz said:
So I took the leap into an Akorn Kamado yesterday.  Total newb, so figured I'd enter at a lower price than an Egg or Joe.

Seems like everything you could ever want to know is Youtubed now, but is there anything you'd consider *must watch* beyond just basic operating?
Welcome!  have fun with it.

youtube is loaded with great info so that is a great place to learn. 

Be careful with some of the links you may see in this thread as they are ceramic based, not steel based like the Akorn is (one is not better than the other, just different).  But in general, you will also learn by reading through this thread.

Dinsy Ejotuz said:
So I took the leap into an Akorn Kamado yesterday.  Total newb, so figured I'd enter at a lower price than an Egg or Joe.

Seems like everything you could ever want to know is Youtubed now, but is there anything you'd consider *must watch* beyond just basic operating?
Welcome to the club! I got an Akorn for Xmas and have used it at least 20-30 times. I've only done a couple of low and slows, and I've yet to control temps like I want...its tricky and is gonna just take practice. I'm seriously considering a temp control thingy like the pitmaster or something similar.

For regular grilling (steak, chops, chicken, etc) or for high heat searing, its amazing. For my GFs birthday tomorrow Im grilling shrimp and filet mignon. I'll post some pics if everything goes well lol

Also... check out the grilling thread, some good info in there about the Akorn/kamados and grilling in general  

I've only done a couple of low and slows, and I've yet to control temps like I want...its tricky and is gonna just take practice.
Thanks WN.

The two things I know I want to do are a pork butt and homemade naan, and the pork is #1 on my list -- so I've been trying to read up on the low and slow.  Seems like finding the right bottom/top airflow settings that thread the needle between getting the temps too high (and having to wait forever for it to cool) and having the fire go out is not simple until you've done it a few times.

ETA:  I'm pretty methodical with this kind of stuff, so this was appealing  to me.  Posting it here so I can find it again and in case it's useful to anyone else:

This is the simple fact: you don't know what you're doing. So stop flailing around and take systematic control of your kamado by working within its parameters. Take the time and learn what your kamado can and cannot do. You need to invest an afternoon and get to know your cooker. so go buy a 12er of your favorite malt-based adult beverage and a big bag of lump. Your task is to learn how to control your kamado's temp between 225°-450° in 25° increments and do it consistently. You'll need to take notes, so you'll also need paper and pencil. Also remember that you've got to stay ahead of your kamado and anticipate what is going to happen.

Go fill up your kamado, fill it completely with lump. Light the charcoal in one single spot, and pop the top on your first tall cool one. Once the fire is established, not roaring, close the lid and make certain your vents are wide open. When your kamado's temp hits about 150°, shut your vents, both top and bottom, by about half. At 175°, shut them by half again. At 200° shut them by half again. You don't want to overshoot your target temp. You'll slowly come up to 225°. If you overshoot your temp, shut the vents by half again and let the temp stabilize. Take notes of vent settings and temps. You have to learn the response curve of your kamado. Take a sip of your favorite beverage. This is hot, hard work and you don't want to get dehydrated!

After about 20-30 mins at 225° you'll want to move on to 250° open both vents just a small bit and see what happens. Take notes. Creep up on 250° and use small incremental steps. Take a sip and sit down and notice how your kamado responds to more air. Be patient, take time and let your kamado stabilize each time you change a vent setting. Take notes, heck take pics if that helps! Repeat this procedure for every 25° all the way up to 450°. 

Thinking of finally getting one of these, is the Large big enough for a single family.  I would do things like a single pork butt or a smaller brisket (~10-12 lbs), or like 2 racks of ribs, can’t see any occasions where I’d be doing more than that

also would like to use as an everyday grill (steaks, chicken, hamburgers, etc)

Any reason if need go spend the extra $ for an XL?

also would like to get some sort Table for it, looks like more options for the Large, although I could probably build my own if needed

Thinking of finally getting one of these, is the Large big enough for a single family.  I would do things like a single pork butt or a smaller brisket (~10-12 lbs), or like 2 racks of ribs, can’t see any occasions where I’d be doing more than that

also would like to get some sort Table for it, looks like more options for the Large, although I could probably build my own if needed
Was trying to figure this out yesterday and measured the regular charcoal grill grate we have.  It's 19"x18" (342sq in).  The one I just bought is 314", but has another 133" as a warming rack.  My take was that would be big enough for the stuff you're talking about and cooking for four people.  And you could probably get away with it for a smaller get together, but I think it'd probably be too small to cook for a big party.  

A large can hold a ton of food with the proper accessories.  if you have the budget, I would never talk you out of a extra large because more space is never bad but if you are budget constrained I would recommend the large with a few of the key accessories that many of us love.

I am not handy at all but was able to build a table for my egg based on plans I found online.  I was able to do it all by myself except cut the circle, which my brother did for me.

The Egg is multi functional, and works as a grill, smoker or baking oven.  However, I will slightly caution you that if you want to use it as a basic grill (hamburgers and hot dogs etc), you still will need the 12-15 minutes to get the egg ready.  That time frame is meaningless for smoking and baking, but for people used to throwing a burger on a gas grill 4 minutes after you start it up, the wait might be annoying.

Was trying to figure this out yesterday and measured the regular charcoal grill grate we have.  It's 19"x18" (342sq in).  The one I just bought is 314", but has another 133" as a warming rack.  My take was that would be big enough for the stuff you're talking about and cooking for four people.  And you could probably get away with it for a smaller get together, but I think it'd probably be too small to cook for a big party.  
Don't think just horizontal, you want to think vertical as well.

When cooking large amounts of food (say a full rack of ribs and a large pork shoulder) they won't fit horizontally but they will fit vertically.  There are accessories that can be used that create shelves inside the dome.  Take a look at this picture for an example (this is one of  numerous configurations you can buy).  I would think similar ones exist for the Akorn.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0423/4649/products/chris_egg_1400x.jpg?v=1571438611

Note this is when cooking indirect as vertical height is meaningless since the smoke will get equally distributed.  Obviously you can't do this for direct heat (grilling) cooking.

Don't think just horizontal, you want to think vertical as well.

When cooking large amounts of food (say a full rack of ribs and a large pork shoulder) they won't fit horizontally but they will fit vertically.  There are accessories that can be used that create shelves inside the dome.  Take a look at this picture for an example (this is one of  numerous configurations you can buy).  I would think similar ones exist for the Akorn.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0423/4649/products/chris_egg_1400x.jpg?v=1571438611
If you're doing something indirect/slow are those added levels at the same temp (more or less) as the main grate?  Because that would be pretty awesome.

What's that accessory actually called?

If you're doing something indirect/slow are those added levels at the same temp (more or less) as the main grate?  Because that would be pretty awesome.

What's that accessory actually called?
I added clarity to my previous post to speak to this while you were responding.

Yes, when indirect, the smoke and heat get distributed relatively equally.

There is no one name, there are a ton of choices.

Many of us in the thread have this one which we love:

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/big-green-egg-large-accessories-by-ceramic-grill-store/products/large-adjustable-rig-r-and-b-combo-bge

I would google "Akorn Kamado accessories" and see what choices you have.

A large can hold a ton of food with the proper accessories.  if you have the budget, I would never talk you out of a extra large because more space is never bad but if you are budget constrained I would recommend the large with a few of the key accessories that many of us love.

I am not handy at all but was able to build a table for my egg based on plans I found online.  I was able to do it all by myself except cut the circle, which my brother did for me.

The Egg is multi functional, and works as a grill, smoker or baking oven.  However, I will slightly caution you that if you want to use it as a basic brill (hamburgers and hot dogs etc), you still will need the 12-15 minutes to get the egg ready.  That time frame is meaningless for smoking and baking, but for people used to throwing a burger on a gas grill 4 minutes after you start it up, the wait might be annoying.
I use charcoal now so I don’t have any issue waiting for the grill to get ready even for simple stuff

need to see how quarantine budget shakes out, but between some poker winnings and kids sports getting refunded I will probably have the extra cash to blow on one (been wanting one a few years but haven’t been able to justify dropping 1K on a grill)

Thinking the large with some extra accessories might be the way I go, still gonna try to get to the store one day and check them out in person 

Dinsy Ejotuz said:

I've had my akorn for a few years, love it. Excellent entry level unit imo

Got an unexpected escrow refund from our refi so that sealed the deal as far as me deciding for buy one or not

probably going Thursday or Friday to grab one, anything I need to do to prep it or anything extra I need to buy right away, or is this thing ready to go out of the gate?  Planning to smoke some ribs to start with

i will probably build a custom table down the road but plan to use it this weekend 

also only lump charcoal right?  No more kingsford briquettes?

Got an unexpected escrow refund from our refi so that sealed the deal as far as me deciding for buy one or not

probably going Thursday or Friday to grab one, anything I need to do to prep it or anything extra I need to buy right away, or is this thing ready to go out of the gate?  Planning to smoke some ribs to start with
if you want to smoke, you need a deflector plate of your choosing that will create the indirect heat.  If you just want the Big Green Egg specific one, look for an item called a Plate Setter.  You can't do indirect cooking with out this accessory (or something similar) 

Typically people tend to break in their eggs with a more simple cook like a direct heat spatch #### chicken since there is a little learning curve to setting and maintaining temperature.

I am now 10 cooks into using this and I really love it still.  My egg is so clean (because it is so easy to remove the ash), and I always find my fire easier to maintain with a clean Egg.   The air flow is so good with this device that you have to slightly adjust your openings in the top and bottom else your fire will be hotter than you typically will find.

i will probably build a custom table down the road
I remember saying these same words about 12 years ago...

welcome to the club. Enjoy.

(also, I use lump charcoal probably 90% of the time, but there's nothing wrong with briquettes.  I use them from time to time when I catch a good sale.  They leave a bit more ash and don't seem to burn as hot when that's needed, but otherwise work fine.)

I remember saying these same words about 12 years ago...

welcome to the club. Enjoy.

(also, I use lump charcoal probably 90% of the time, but there's nothing wrong with briquettes.  I use them from time to time when I catch a good sale.  They leave a bit more ash and don't seem to burn as hot when that's needed, but otherwise work fine.)
Did you actually build the table?

so lovin my new akorn so much im kicking around upgrading to the bigger version - worth it?  Whats main differnces?   Worth the higher price?  

Dan Lambskin said:

i will probably build a custom table down the road but plan to use it this weekend 

also only lump charcoal right?  No more kingsford briquettes?
No lighter fluid or any briquettes with that in it. 

CletiusMaximus said:
I(also, I use lump charcoal probably 90% of the time, but there's nothing wrong with briquettes.  I use them from time to time when I catch a good sale.  They leave a bit more ash and don't seem to burn as hot when that's needed, but otherwise work fine.)
Just to be clear, briquettes are not an issue per say.  The deeper concern is if people use lighter fluid to light the briquettes.  The Egg is ceramic (and as such highly porous) and it the safety concern is that it can absorb the fluid.

Big Green Egg actually goes as far to say that using lighter fluid can void the warranty. 

Just to be clear, briquettes are not an issue per say.  The deeper concern is if people use lighter fluid to light the briquettes.  The Egg is ceramic (and as such highly porous) and it the safety concern is that it can absorb the fluid.

Big Green Egg actually goes as far to say that using lighter fluid can void the warranty. 
Thanks.  I never use lighter fluid so good to know, if I’m doing something simple like burgers or something I might still go with briquettes over lump 

Thanks.  I never use lighter fluid so good to know, if I’m doing something simple like burgers or something I might still go with briquettes over lump 
I didn't mean to re-open the great neverending briquette v lump debate.  I assume it should go without saying no one should buy the briquettes that are soaked in chemicals like the "match light instant start" variety.  When I find the Kingsford competition briquettes on a good sale (Costco), I'm probably going to buy a couple big bags depending on how much I already have at home.  They are made of charcoal dust, with a starch binding agent, just like lump charcoal.  It burns a little different, but not enough to notice.

Welcome.  I did the same thing about ten years ago when they first came out.  Bang for the buck on these is fantastic.  On the downside, they can be hard to maintain low temps.  I have had alot of success with the tip top temp regulator (if you buy this you can use a placesetter to make it temporary).  I know other owners have taken other approaches to sealing up (better gasket?) the ash pan, etc. as the issue seems to be it is a bit leaky - which is a problem holding low temps as too much oxygen gets pulled in.   Regardless, you will adjust and will be making better BBQ than anything you can get in any restaurant.  Enjoy!

I am now 10 cooks into using this and I really love it still.  My egg is so clean (because it is so easy to remove the ash), and I always find my fire easier to maintain with a clean Egg.   The air flow is so good with this device that you have to slightly adjust your openings in the top and bottom else your fire will be hotter than you typically will find.
shop vac?

Welcome.  I did the same thing about ten years ago when they first came out.  Bang for the buck on these is fantastic.  On the downside, they can be hard to maintain low temps.  I have had alot of success with the tip top temp regulator (if you buy this you can use a placesetter to make it temporary).  I know other owners have taken other approaches to sealing up (better gasket?) the ash pan, etc. as the issue seems to be it is a bit leaky - which is a problem holding low temps as too much oxygen gets pulled in.   Regardless, you will adjust and will be making better BBQ than anything you can get in any restaurant.  Enjoy!
Thanks!

I spent the day testing it Saturday, and I do have a noticeable leak in the back between the top and bottom of the dome, but the first time out I had it stuck on 255 before I started opening it up.  I'm going to try it at like .4 top and .8 bottom the next time and see what happens, but I bet that 255 is about as low as I can go. 

Which is fine for me, at least right now.  I'm dying to close the lid on a huge piece of pork and just let it go for the day and 255 gets me there just fine.

Lesson learned from the testing:  the numbers are just for show.  You only need to open it fractions of a unit on both the top and bottom to really move the temp.

Dinsy Ejotuz said:
Thanks!

I spent the day testing it Saturday, and I do have a noticeable leak in the back between the top and bottom of the dome, but the first time out I had it stuck on 255 before I started opening it up.  I'm going to try it at like .4 top and .8 bottom the next time and see what happens, but I bet that 255 is about as low as I can go. 

Which is fine for me, at least right now.  I'm dying to close the lid on a huge piece of pork and just let it go for the day and 255 gets me there just fine.

Lesson learned from the testing:  the numbers are just for show.  You only need to open it fractions of a unit on both the top and bottom to really move the temp.
Yeah, I never have the bottom open past 1 when smoking.  Usually .5 plus or minus.

Enjoy

Dinsy Ejotuz said:
Thanks!

255 is an awesome spot to smoke at.

It is worth acknowledging that there is no one perfect temperature.  Have fun experimenting and trying different techniques and temperature combos.   Some articles and cooks refer to 225 as a magic temperature but I have found you can get fantastic bbq with many different time/temperature combos.

One of the most decorated and award winning bbq competitors is Myron Mixon and he smokes at a relatively high temperature of 300- 325 for many of his cuts.  While those temps are an outlier for most people who smoke, the amount he has won over the years shows that this type of cooking has room for experimentation.

I have really experimented a lot lately with different cook temps.  

Without a blower I can't really see this being possible, if you all are doing this without a blower I bow down.

I have really experimented a lot lately with different cook temps.  

Without a blower I can't really see this being possible, if you all are doing this without a blower I bow down.
I'm kind of the opposite when it comes to cook temps.  I've not used a dome thermometer for at least 10 years.  I have a thermapen-style stick I used to check the meat for doneness.

I hold my hand over the top vent to monitor dome temps.  90% of my cooking is going to fall into three categories - low/slow (about 250), grilling temps (burgers, chicken, etc.) and hotter than blazes (steaks, searing).

I'm kind of the opposite when it comes to cook temps.  I've not used a dome thermometer for at least 10 years.  I have a thermapen-style stick I used to check the meat for doneness.

I hold my hand over the top vent to monitor dome temps.  90% of my cooking is going to fall into three categories - low/slow (about 250), grilling temps (burgers, chicken, etc.) and hotter than blazes (steaks, searing).
That's even more hardcore.  If I don't have my internal and dome temp down to the tenth of a degree reported to my phone continually I can't go on living.

CletiusMaximus said:
My hand is not sensitive enough to do this so I just use a thermometer that connects to the grill plate so I have a decent idea of the temp where the meat is sitting.

But your categories are identical to mine.  One of those three groups are what I use as well for almost every cook.

I have thought about getting a blower but since I have never done an over night cook, I find maintaining the temp while awake extremely easy.

Went and bought the large today, gonna assemble it tomorrow 

think i ended up getting a deal too because first I went to the local hardware store and they wanted $899 for a large, but apparently they don’t stock the larger sizes and would have had to order

found a pool supply place that has them and I called to verify stock and she told me $875 out the door so I went and grabbed 

that came with the the stand too, looked at the invoice I think she charged me their cost instead of the sales cost, unless there was some special I was unaware of but based on my research seems like I got a good deal

I don’t really need the stand since I want to build a table, but I figure it’s worth keeping so I can slack off on the table for awhile and it will be nice to have the stand in case I ever wanted to take it somewhere 

they didn’t have the Convection plate or whatever, but I did see it at the hardware store so I will go pick that up

any other must haves to start with?  I know someone posted some coal basket or whatever, think I will order that and maybe a pizza stone down the road

Went and bought the large today, gonna assemble it tomorrow 

think i ended up getting a deal too because first I went to the local hardware store and they wanted $899 for a large, but apparently they don’t stock the larger sizes and would have had to order

found a pool supply place that has them and I called to verify stock and she told me $875 out the door so I went and grabbed 

that came with the the stand too, looked at the invoice I think she charged me their cost instead of the sales cost, unless there was some special I was unaware of but based on my research seems like I got a good deal

I don’t really need the stand since I want to build a table, but I figure it’s worth keeping so I can slack off on the table for awhile and it will be nice to have the stand in case I ever wanted to take it somewhere 

they didn’t have the Convection plate or whatever, but I did see it at the hardware store so I will go pick that up

any other must haves to start with?  I know someone posted some coal basket or whatever, think I will order that and maybe a pizza stone down the road
Things I use every time I fire it up are the ash tool, a pair of welding gloves (https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Leather-Fireplace-14-5-Inch-Resistant/dp/B000G1MIJO/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=Grill+fireplace+gloves&qid=1590102811&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-4) and a chimney coal starter. 

So you are telling me you all use the ash tool instead of a shop vac, and your hand instead of a thermometer and briquettes for fuel?

This place has passed me by.
I probably make really crappy food compared to y’alls.  Honestly, I just don’t ever see myself vacuuming my grill or using an app to make burgers.  The main reason I don’t use a dome thermometer is I can’t be bothered with it. The dial thermometer that came with the grill was crap. 

So you are telling me you all use the ash tool instead of a shop vac, and your hand instead of a thermometer and briquettes for fuel?

This place has passed me by.
I’ve had eggs for 9 years now and never even seen the ash tool. I use a small shovel and a garbage bag. 

Capella said:
I’ve had eggs for 9 years now and never even seen the ash tool. I use a small shovel and a garbage bag. 
I just don't think you can get the ash around the inner ring out without some sort of suction.  

Users who are viewing this thread