What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your favorite Podcast (1 Viewer)

Interesting podcast moment

Fresh Air is one of my favorite podcasts, and Terry Gross is one of my favorite interviewers. Last year, Dave Davies filled in for Terry and interviewed Steve Coogan, one of my favorite comedians. Steve's clearly a bright guy, but Dave Davies...is not so much. Davies is not on par with Gross, and there's a moment in this interview where I am certain that Coogan is not very impressed with Davies.

British Comedian Steve Coogan's Improv-Based 'Trip'

Tried Movies You Should See. I think the hosts are funny, but at the same it seems like they go 45 minutes and not really talk about the movie.
I agree. I like that it feels more like just a bunch of blokes (and a lass) just sitting around chatting about a film and the fact that they often go off on tangents about other films (with the same actors or director as the one they are reviewing) that often piques my interest. They can also be pretty darn funny. /Filmcast does a significantly better job of staying on point and I trust their reviews they also seem to understand the art of film making much better (it's podcast where you will learn about interesting production techniques if that's your thing) but it feels impersonal relative to MYSS.
I've listened to a lot of film podcasts now, and the /filmcast is my favorite. It's not that I agree with a lot of their criticisms - because I don't. It's that they make interesting points and defend them intelligently.
Have either of you listened to Filmspotting?

Agree that /film is a must listen. I do enjoy the hell out of Now Playing though - gotta respect the dedication to reviewing an entire series and devote an hour + to each movie. I think I have gone through most of them and some of the best shows are them reviewing the worst movies - Texas Chainsaw 2, Friday the 13th 3, etc..

Tried Movies You Should See. I think the hosts are funny, but at the same it seems like they go 45 minutes and not really talk about the movie.
I agree. I like that it feels more like just a bunch of blokes (and a lass) just sitting around chatting about a film and the fact that they often go off on tangents about other films (with the same actors or director as the one they are reviewing) that often piques my interest. They can also be pretty darn funny. /Filmcast does a significantly better job of staying on point and I trust their reviews they also seem to understand the art of film making much better (it's podcast where you will learn about interesting production techniques if that's your thing) but it feels impersonal relative to MYSS.
I've listened to a lot of film podcasts now, and the /filmcast is my favorite. It's not that I agree with a lot of their criticisms - because I don't. It's that they make interesting points and defend them intelligently.

Agree that /film is a must listen. I do enjoy the hell out of Now Playing though - gotta respect the dedication to reviewing an entire series and devote an hour + to each movie. I think I have gone through most of them and some of the best shows are them reviewing the worst movies - Texas Chainsaw 2, Friday the 13th 3, etc..
Sounds good!

Love him or hate him, Kevin Smith is putting out the most solid podcast network this side of Leo Laporte.
Haven't heard it yet. But I've watched many hours of Smith's live talks at colleges, and they are very entertaining.
Not a fan. DLed Jay Mohr a few weeks ago and had way too many plugs to start the podcast. Ended up deleting it before it started. Smith comes off as a condescending ##### bag when he does one.

'jdoggydogg said:
'KarmaPolice said:

Sounds good!
I have listened to about 10 episodes of filmspotting now, and would say that it's better than /film. The guys are a bit more articulate, and they have some fun stuff in the episodes - top 5 lists of random categories, a mash up of scenes they act out, etc.. They still have similar guests, etc.. I think the downfall is that the reviews of a singular movie are a little bit shorter. A plus is that the main part of the podcast is completely safe for work/family. Might just have to stop before the outtakes.

I decided to start with a 'list' episode to get a feel for what type of film they are into and wasn't disappointed. I listened to their 300th episode where they countdown their top 20 films of the decade. That is a great place to start.

Interesting stuff:

Hardcore History

Things you should know

The Moth

Radiolab

All the NPR stuff

Survival podcast

Ted talks

Funny:

Rogan

Prank it up

Mike omeara show (old don and mike)

Bidness & $$$:

Motley fool

Freakanomics

Wall street journal

Harvard biz review

Slate negotiation

Entreleadership

Tech:

iPad today

Ht guys

Anything Leo laporte

New to me/trying it out again:

WTF

When the kids go to sleep( parenting/ family: shay Carl if you know of him)

Mike and Tom eat snacks

Trail runner nation

'Short Corner said:
Love him or hate him, Kevin Smith is putting out the most solid podcast network this side of Leo Laporte.
Haven't heard it yet. But I've watched many hours of Smith's live talks at colleges, and they are very entertaining.
Not a fan. DLed Jay Mohr a few weeks ago and had way too many plugs to start the podcast. Ended up deleting it before it started. Smith comes off as a condescending ##### bag when he does one.
Your fast forward button broke? Almost all Podcasts have ads, you just FF them until you hear the music start to play. Takes 5-10 seconds, way worth it compared to having to pay for the hundreds of podcasts I listen to in a year.

'Short Corner said:
Your fast forward button broke? Almost all Podcasts have ads, you just FF them until you hear the music start to play. Takes 5-10 seconds, way worth it compared to having to pay for the hundreds of podcasts I listen to in a year.
They have eliminated the 3 minutes of ads at the front of Mohr Stories. It is now just 1 30 second promo I FF through.

'ragincajun said:
I sit at a desk for 8-10 hours a day. I need more!!!!
I know these have all been mentioned at one point or another, and they are outstanding.I find it hard to believe you'd have enough hours in the day to hear them all, but I'll be jealous if you do:The MothFresh Air/FilmcastThis American LifeSavage LoveWTF with Marc MaronStoryCorpsThe New Yorker Out LoudThe Onion AV Club

Finally started in on Mohr Stories, and I am really digging it. Almost had me in tears while driving a couple times now.

Tore through a bunch of Radiolab over the last couple of weeks. Great podcast with some really interesting stories. One stand out was the 'death mask' episode for me.

Here's mine:

Football:

The Audible :thumbup: -Obviously, but this one changed the way I view football and made me understand the game better than I did when I played it (in addition to the FBGs site and Shark Pool).

ESPN Fantasy Focus

ESPN Football Today

ESPN First Draft

CBS Fantasy Football

BTR: Dynasty Blitz

ESPN: Baseball Today

Fitness/Training:

The Fitcast- one of the best in fitness/nutrition, I like the length of them, although some may not but there is usually 20 min or so of off-topic at the end

Strength Coach Podcast- more for the hardcore trainer, strength coach, personal trainer

Robertson Training Systems- one of the best strength coaches in the industry

Misc:

Pickup Podcast- self-help, learn about attracting women, having high value, be more social, - great one here, I've met these guys and they are great people, genuinely want to help people be better and their advice is solid

Radical NLP, Mythology... Learning about Neuro Linguistic Programming,

Jungian Podcast- all about Carl Jung

Zencast- Meditation, Zen Buddhist Teachings

Trying to get into politics, new and better rounded. I tend to focus too much on sports, fitness, self-help.

So far:

NPR stuff

Wall Street Journal

Last edited by a moderator:
Tore through a bunch of Radiolab over the last couple of weeks. Great podcast with some really interesting stories. One stand out was the 'death mask' episode for me.
Big fan of Radiolab. The death mask episode was very interesting.Both Radiolab and This American Life bring great stories to the table that I likely never would have heard otherwise.

Here's mine:Football: The Audible :thumbup: -Obviously, but this one changed the way I view football and made me understand the game better than I did when I played it (in addition to the FBGs site and Shark Pool). ESPN Fantasy FocusESPN Football TodayESPN First DraftCBS Fantasy FootballBTR: Dynasty BlitzESPN: Baseball TodayFitness/Training:The Fitcast- one of the best in fitness/nutrition, I like the length of them, although some may not but there is usually 20 min or so of off-topic at the endStrength Coach Podcast- more for the hardcore trainer, strength coach, personal trainerRobertson Training Systems- one of the best strength coaches in the industry Misc:Pickup Podcast- self-help, learn about attracting women, having high value, be more social, - great one here, I've met these guys and they are great people, genuinely want to help people be better and their advice is solidRadical NLP, Mythology... Learning about Neuro Linguistic Programming, Jungian Podcast- all about Carl Jung Zencast- Meditation, Zen Buddhist TeachingsTrying to get into politics, new and better rounded. I tend to focus too much on sports, fitness, self-help. So far:NPR stuffWall Street Journal
Thank you for the Dynasty Blitz shoutout!

Started listening to Doug Loves Movies, which is funny and I love it for the games/trivia.

Also via a suggestion I started on Double Feature. Started with 2 guys talking about movies in their collection, etc.. They watched 2 movies each week - one new for each of them. Baffles me some of their lack of knowledge on some things - ie one didn't know that Jodie Foster was in Silence of the Lambs before watching it for the first time, but moreso than in some of the other movie podcasts I listen to they seem to mix in more about tech lingo, certain shots, etc.. This will be part of my weekly rotation for sure - looking through the epidsodes there is some really interesting movies they will talk about in there.

Also tried Yeah, It's That Bad. Loved the premise on the surface - they take a movie that is rated "rotten" on RT.com and watch it to see if it really is that bad. Entertaining for a little bit, but the guys are pretty annoying and laugh at their #### way too much. Felt too much like listing to Bob and Tom on the radio - way too much laughing, not enough substance.

For a cheatsheet, these are the movie podcasts I would highly suggest people check out:

Filmspotting - serious, spoiler free reviews of newer movies + top 5 list of the week

/Filmcast (although how much longer are they going to keep going?)

Now Playing - long, really in depth movie reviews. One per podcast, and they do mostly a series of movies - ie, they are working on all the Batman movies leading up to Dark Knight Rises

Double Feature -

The Film Vault - I could see these guys grating on people. Talk about 3 movies each they watched that week + a top 5 list of the week.

ESPN college football podcast takes a hit with Beano dying. I always enjoyed his episodes.

Recently started listening to "The Podcast History of Our World." I read a lot of history, but haven't gotten into podcasts on it as much. But this one is pretty well done.

A mix of my faves in no particular order:

Endless Boundaries Jam Radio -- (Eclectic Music)

My History Can Beat Up Your Politics -- (History/Politics)

American Conservative University -- (Consortium of various speeches, interviews, radio shows)

Adam Carolla Show -- (Guy talk)

Anal: The How To Show

Dan Lebatard & Stugotz Show -- (Guy/sport talk)

Big O & Dukes -- (Guy talk)

A mix of my faves in no particular order:

Endless Boundaries Jam Radio -- (Eclectic Music)

My History Can Beat Up Your Politics -- (History/Politics)

American Conservative University -- (Consortium of various speeches, interviews, radio shows)

Adam Carolla Show -- (Guy talk)

Anal: The How To Show

Dan Lebatard & Stugotz Show -- (Guy/sport talk)

Big O & Dukes -- (Guy talk)
Also guy talk? :unsure:

Planet Money has had almost no new or original programming in almost two months. A lot of repeats and a couple of compilations from NPR news storiesWhat is up with that?Sent from my iPhone

My rotation:BS ReportWTF with MaronGirl on GuyAdam CarollaI still subscribe to Nerdist and Freakonomics but they are last resorts.God bless the app Downcast. Makes listening to podcasts so much easier. Also WTF podcasts are 10x better when you can fast forward past the first 10 minutes of his rambling.

Have a few that I listen to, but excited to try some of the ones suggested here.For videogames and some :lmao: banter, I'd suggest Giant Bombcast. Really good stuff, imo.

My rotation:BS ReportWTF with MaronGirl on GuyAdam CarollaI still subscribe to Nerdist and Freakonomics but they are last resorts.God bless the app Downcast. Makes listening to podcasts so much easier. Also WTF podcasts are 10x better when you can fast forward past the first 10 minutes of his rambling.
What does Downcast do for you that the built in app can't ?

What does Downcast do for you that the built in app can't ?
Not sure. I had Downcast before iOS6 and since it already had my subscriptions set up and it was paid for, I've stuck with it. Downcast automatically downloads any episodes in the background and allows me to rewind/ffwd in 30 sec or 2 min intervals. I guess if the built in app does that, then there isn't a huge difference.

Some interesting sounding stuff in here. :blackdot: The ones I listen to:The AudibleGreen and Gold Today (ESPN Milwaukee)The Aaron Rodgers Show (ESPN Milwaukee)The Miller Lite Football show (ESPN Milwaukee)Cheesehead RadioPackers Therapy The Roll for Initiative Podcast (RFIPodcast.com) A Podcast on 1st edition Dungeons and Dragons. :nerd:

Recently started listening to "The Podcast History of Our World." I read a lot of history, but haven't gotten into podcasts on it as much. But this one is pretty well done.
I'm still enjoying this one. Been getting into other podcasts more lately. My other favorites are:The Audible

The Solid Verbal (college football)

Marek vs Wyshynski (NHL)

Baseball Tonight (MLB)

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me (NPR current events/trivia)

Mine has changed a bit lately...History of Rome ended :( - still the best ever.Frequently released podcasts I listen to as soon as they come out:The Basketball JonesBS ReportESPNU College FootballAudibleGrantland (skip the Hollywood eps)The Shot with Alexi LalasLess frequent podcasts I listen to as soon as they come out:ESPN FC PodcastESPN Big Head RedheadDan Carlin's Hardcore HistoryMike and Tom Eat SnacksNorman CenturiesScott Sigler AudiobooksDesperation podcasts I dip into when I'm going on a long trip:NerdistMohr Stories (about to fall off even this list)I have Podcast History of Our World, but haven't started listening to it yet.

My rotation:

BS Report

WTF with Maron

Girl on Guy

Adam Carolla

I still subscribe to Nerdist and Freakonomics but they are last resorts.

God bless the app Downcast. Makes listening to podcasts so much easier. Also WTF podcasts are 10x better when you can fast forward past the first 10 minutes of his rambling.
OMG, the rambling before the interview is so bad and he keeps mentioning Stamps.com every five seconds. After fast forwarding to interview though its usually amazing entertainment and highly informative. His interview with Michael Keaten was so good i was upset it was only like two hours.

Users who are viewing this thread