What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☞ Official SOPRANOS Thread (4 Viewers)

Sonny Lubick Blowup Doll said:
jdoggydogg said:
All I know is that it was just a boat ride. It had nothing to do with anything else and that's what the writers wanted.
Seriously? It was just a boat ride where Tony almost picked up a knife and killed Pauli.
The knife was for cutting bait. Didn't you see the bait right next to it?
:hot:

jdoggydogg said:
All I know is that it was just a boat ride. It had nothing to do with anything else and that's what the writers wanted.
Seriously? It was just a boat ride where Tony almost picked up a knife and killed Pauli.
The knife was for cutting bait. Didn't you see the bait right next to it?
:confused:
:lmao:

Any way to find out what the old guys who came to visit Junior said to him in Italian as they were leaving?

Also, comparing the Asian kid with Junior to the VT shooter is just stupid. The only similarity is the physical look. Slightly.

So curious -- what did everyone think the conclusion to the Livia storyline was going to be? I remember Chase saying her dying when she did obviously derailed it.

Part of me thinks she would've testified against Tony and he would have had to come to grips with killing her, but he's too much of a family guy to do that. But, it was all heading in that direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
So curious -- what did everyone think the conclusion to the Livia storyline was going to be? I remember Chase saying her dying when she did obviously derailed it. Part of me thinks she would've testified against Tony and he would have had to come to grips with killing her, but he's too much of a family guy to do that. But, it was all heading in that direction.
Forgot about her. That last scene with her after she was dead was creepy. I remember watching it without knowing she had died but I realized it was cuts from her previously because of the awkward way the head was held and the fact that her hairdo changed several times in one scene.Weird.

So curious -- what did everyone think the conclusion to the Livia storyline was going to be? I remember Chase saying her dying when she did obviously derailed it. Part of me thinks she would've testified against Tony and he would have had to come to grips with killing her, but he's too much of a family guy to do that. But, it was all heading in that direction.
Forgot about her. That last scene with her after she was dead was creepy. I remember watching it without knowing she had died but I realized it was cuts from her previously because of the awkward way the head was held and the fact that her hairdo changed several times in one scene.Weird.
that's what made me think of this - watched that scene tonight, just awful.

Was supposed to be her that married Bacala after his wife's death instead of Janice.

Was supposed to be her that married Bacala after his wife's death instead of Janice.
Was Ritchie going to get in there as well?

Was Ritchie going to get in there as well?
:lmao:

that's what made me think of this - watched that scene tonight, just awful.
Which scene is this?

N.Y. Shreks said:
Any way to find out what the old guys who came to visit Junior said to him in Italian as they were leaving?

IIRC, they basically told him to call them if he needed anything. It wasn't anything to do with any storylines.

So curious -- what did everyone think the conclusion to the Livia storyline was going to be? I remember Chase saying her dying when she did obviously derailed it.
Remember that "Dead Sopranos" thing I referenced earlier in this thread? They had the actors who played Richie/Ade/####/Gloria/Tony B. on stage, along with head writer Terrance Winter and Chase himself.Well, Chase commented that had Nancy Marchand not passed away, the storyline would have had her reconciling with Tony. Chase said that they would have gotten close because they would have had to work closely together on Tony's upcoming trial. Livia was caught at the Newark Airport with the stolen tickets, remember? She would have had to take the stand at some point.

I could see a finale with Tony having no more power and maybe Carm having left him -- series ends with Tony just sitting there realizing he has no more power and has lost both his families.
I think a more likely scenario is that Tony dies, and leaves Carm with nothing.It's been building towards that. In season 2 when Junior told Tony that he had a 'tarded uncle, the conversation turned to Johnny Boy. Tony stated that he left his mother with "Jujubees" and Junior countered by saying that Johnny Boy left Livia with a package that could choke an elephant. Reference #1 to what a wise guy left to his family.Carm had major money concerns in past episodes, which she voiced to Tony. She asked what would happen if he died and he said she would "be taken care of" in perpituity when the time came. Then she saw Angie giving out food samples at the market, and she got more concerned. Then she steals $40K from Tony to put into bonds, then builds a spec house, etc.Now Tony is gambling heavily and losing heavily. I suspect either he'll do a life stint in the can and have his assets seized, or he'll get clipped and Carm will find out that she is penniless. There have been all sorts of hints to a conclusion such as this.
This sounds like a very plausible possibility. Tony's recent gambling has to have some repercussions which would have to have some big plot involvement in the ending of the show. Thoughts on what the last scene will be? What's David Chase play here?

I could see a finale with Tony having no more power and maybe Carm having left him -- series ends with Tony just sitting there realizing he has no more power and has lost both his families.
I think a more likely scenario is that Tony dies, and leaves Carm with nothing.It's been building towards that. In season 2 when Junior told Tony that he had a 'tarded uncle, the conversation turned to Johnny Boy. Tony stated that he left his mother with "Jujubees" and Junior countered by saying that Johnny Boy left Livia with a package that could choke an elephant. Reference #1 to what a wise guy left to his family.Carm had major money concerns in past episodes, which she voiced to Tony. She asked what would happen if he died and he said she would "be taken care of" in perpituity when the time came. Then she saw Angie giving out food samples at the market, and she got more concerned. Then she steals $40K from Tony to put into bonds, then builds a spec house, etc.Now Tony is gambling heavily and losing heavily. I suspect either he'll do a life stint in the can and have his assets seized, or he'll get clipped and Carm will find out that she is penniless. There have been all sorts of hints to a conclusion such as this.
Thoughts on what the last scene will be? What's David Chase play here?
Carm puking when she finds out she's broke. :thumbup:

For those that may have thought that Uncle Juniors story had more to go.

"The Sopranos" is not going quietly into that good night.

As the show counts down its final episodes - there are six left - the overarching theme of David Chase's mob drama seems to be desperation and deterioration.

Johnny Sacramoni (Vincent Curatola) is dead. Bobby Baccalieri executed a messy hit that if it doesn't get him pinched has certainly sent his heart to a cold, dark place. Tony - who is feeling his immortality more acutely than ever - has started to have "Cleaver" fantasies about his right-hand capo, Paulie Walnuts.

And last week, Uncle Junior - the one-time feared head of the family - sustained a beat down in the mental institution where he is confined.

"David [Chase] equates age with disintegrating," says Dominic Chianese, who plays Corrado Soprano aka Uncle Junior. "He lets you see the dark side."

Chianese claims not to know the "complete" ending. (Curatola has suggested that Chase filmed more than one conclusion to the show.) But because his work on the series has concluded, Chianese has been watching the remaining episodes with a more analytical eye.

Chase, he says, "has written a fantastic journey of a guy who happens to be a gangster. He has written a great American story about a family. It's a real world."

Tony may want to retire and spend his twilight years fishing and enjoying the occasional extramarital tryst, but the future looks anything but status quo. On Sunday's episode, Tony finds himself in the uncomfortable position of comforting Vito's widow (played by Lorraine Bracco's sister Elizabeth Bracco). Future episodes will have Paulie and Christopher feuding; AJ sinking into depression, and Phil Leotardo causing problems for the Jersey family.

When Tony told Paulie in last week's episode that he talks too much, it was classic projection.

"Tony is beginning to realize that he talked too much to the psychiatrist," he adds.

As "The Sopranos" has evolved, says Chianese, the show "has gone deeper into the psyche."

The psychological waves have not always inspired fans, who have grumbled on message boards and chat rooms about the show's pace in recent seasons.

"I think people will philosophize, they'll say many things," Chianese says. "But David is a powerful writer. It's pretty heavy stuff. Little lines mean so much. It's a show about the psyche. It's not about the mob. To me, the psyche is like a dark rubber-band ball with twists and turns."
link

I just think that means his actual work is done. There haven't been any more episodes yet for him to analyze.

I think June's story is done, but I would be a bit unsatisfied with that. Other than Tony, I really thought he was the other guy who had to die.

I just think that means his actual work is done. There haven't been any more episodes yet for him to analyze.I think June's story is done, but I would be a bit unsatisfied with that. Other than Tony, I really thought he was the other guy who had to die.
I was kind of annoyed that they opened a new storyline with the Asian kid, but once the realization that Juniors storyline was over kicked in (IMO) I was sad but very satisfied. I imagine there will be a lot of that as the show winds down..btw - there was a little hint in the article that might tie into the spoiler I posted recently with the filming in my neighborhood. Very interesting.

Bills beat the Bucs! :thumbdown:
:shrug: Gotta say, didn't think much of this episode.eta: I do like the "Tony is falling" storyline and the scenes with Carm were excellent, but I guess they got my hopes up when they showed Junior in the mental ward prior to the show. That usually indicates something is going to happen in the episode.

Vito's Goth kid pooping in the shower....wait, wait, it must be some profound metaphor that ties into Tony's dream sequence last year!!!!! Chase is a f***ing genius!

Here's what sucked about tonight's episode: In six seasons, Tony's gambling problem has never come up once. Seemed to come pretty much out of left field.

Next week: A health scare as Tony's diabetes acts up!

Here's what sucked about tonight's episode: In six seasons, Tony's gambling problem has never come up once. Seemed to come pretty much out of left field. Next week: A health scare as Tony's diabetes acts up!
lolNot only has it never come up, they took time to hammer it over our head that Tony thought gambling was stupid.Guess it's supposed to show his downfall. :P

lolNot only has it never come up, they took time to hammer it over our head that Tony thought gambling was stupid.Guess it's supposed to show his downfall. :goodposting:
You would rather have more focus on Junior doing nothing?
Here's what sucked about tonight's episode: In six seasons, Tony's gambling problem has never come up once. Seemed to come pretty much out of left field. Next week: A health scare as Tony's diabetes acts up!
He has always gambled. It wasn't a problem because he was winning. That's why he brought up "a real bad streak", it's catching up with him.

I've enjoyed the past three episodes but this one sucked.
Same here. Ok, we get it, he's got a gambling problem. Beating us over the head with it again and again really shows a lack of respect for the audience.Not to mention that any time in the future that I get some inside scoop on a game, my wife is going to come up with some bull #### Tony Soprano reference about why I shouldn't gamble. Marone!Can't believe Van Patten directed this one. Didn't seem like his usual work.

lolNot only has it never come up, they took time to hammer it over our head that Tony thought gambling was stupid.Guess it's supposed to show his downfall. :own3d:
You would rather have more focus Junior doing nothing?
He has always gambled. It wasn't a problem because he was winning. That's why he brought up "a real bad streak", it's catching up with him.
He has always gambled but they never showed him gambling on sports. At his age you dont just all of a sudden become addicted to gambling on Sports. Just really seems forced.

lolNot only has it never come up, they took time to hammer it over our head that Tony thought gambling was stupid.Guess it's supposed to show his downfall. :own3d:
He has always gambled but they never showed him gambling on sports. At his age you dont just all of a sudden become addicted to gambling on Sports. Just really seems forced.
I thought it was because he is in the hole a ton and he is looking for every edge to get out. :confused:

this might be obvious.. but the vig is just interest right? Tony is basically paying this dude $3000 per week as long s he owes him the $200k those payments he was making weren't bringing down the balance

At his age you dont just all of a sudden become addicted to gambling on Sports.
:bag:
:loco:And this was a really weak episode - what was the point of this? I can't even get into this one from a "analyze Tony's head" perspective. With 6 episodes left, they don't have an episode to waste.Great music, though. The blues singer's voice was SOOOO familia. While I'm sure it was not any of the bigg'uns (not Muddy, Robert Johnson, John Lee, etc.), I am sure I have heard a ton of his music.

the reason I ask is obviously that $3k per week is a pretty heavy amount to lose.. seems like Tony has some $$$ hidden or can get some...why not touch some of that as opposed to losing $3k

lolNot only has it never come up, they took time to hammer it over our head that Tony thought gambling was stupid.Guess it's supposed to show his downfall. :loco:
Maybe I'm wrong but I think the point was not that he is addicted. It's that he has some instability problems. We saw it in the discussions with Melfi. He knows he has destructive personality traits but he's not ready to deal with it. I think this stems from discontent with the family. None of his capos are pulling their weight, he has issues with Phil who is now firmly in control, and he personally seems to have taken a bit of a step back from the day to day action.A couple of seasons ago, Melfi likened his personality to that of a shark - constant motion. Here he is having made conscious steps to remove himself and things are spiraling out of control. He's a big kid though and so he is "acting up." He is going down a very destructive path and alienating himself from the few people that he has always counted on - Hesh, his capos, and even Carm. IMO he is displaying a lot of the same traits his mother did. He is really coming across as a selfish ****, much more than in the past. In previous seasons, he was ruthless, no doubt, but it was always business except with Janice. Now, it seems he is a #### just to be a #### to everyone. IMO Gambling is a symptom, not the problem (which is often the case).

this might be obvious.. but the vig is just interest right? Tony is basically paying this dude $3000 per week as long s he owes him the $200k those payments he was making weren't bringing down the balance
:loco:Tony got a BRIDGE loan, meaning he pays the vig until he can drop the entire 200G he borrowed back on Hesh. That is as opposed to a regular loan where he would pay both vig and part of the principal each week.

the reason I ask is obviously that $3k per week is a pretty heavy amount to lose.. seems like Tony has some $$$ hidden or can get some...why not touch some of that as opposed to losing $3k
Yes, it is interest. It's not much money to a guy like T though. Realize, he carries that kind of cash as petty cash on him.

lolNot only has it never come up, they took time to hammer it over our head that Tony thought gambling was stupid.Guess it's supposed to show his downfall. :bag:
Maybe I'm wrong but I think the point was not that he is addicted. It's that he has some instability problems. We saw it in the discussions with Melfi. He knows he has destructive personality traits but he's not ready to deal with it. I think this stems from discontent with the family. None of his capos are pulling their weight, he has issues with Phil who is now firmly in control, and he personally seems to have taken a bit of a step back from the day to day action.A couple of seasons ago, Melfi likened his personality to that of a shark - constant motion. Here he is having made conscious steps to remove himself and things are spiraling out of control. He's a big kid though and so he is "acting up." He is going down a very destructive path and alienating himself from the few people that he has always counted on - Hesh, his capos, and even Carm. IMO he is displaying a lot of the same traits his mother did. He is really coming across as a selfish ****, much more than in the past. In previous seasons, he was ruthless, no doubt, but it was always business except with Janice. Now, it seems he is a #### just to be a #### to everyone. IMO Gambling is a symptom, not the problem (which is often the case).
Good analysis. :loco:

Just watched that Carm-Tony scene again -- great stuff there "the house will collapse and kill that unborn kid".

I wonder if AJ will snap and kill or beat his ex.

Nobody lol'd at Phil saying Vito's son looked like a "Puerto Rican w h o r e"

I 'bout pissed myself on that line.

lolNot only has it never come up, they took time to hammer it over our head that Tony thought gambling was stupid.Guess it's supposed to show his downfall. :confused:
Great post.I'm convinced the people that think this episode sucked just don't get what the show is all about.

Users who are viewing this thread