What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Philip Rivers, RET (8 Viewers)

Rivers ends the season as the NFL leader in TDs, Passer Rating, TD/INT ratio, and Yrd/Pass.LHUCKS, Jeff P, Moe Green, and others, what does this guy have to do to get some respect?
No kidding.. I still don't understand why they vote for the pro bowl with 4 games left. He should of been voted in anyway but with the way Favre & Cutler both have played down the stretch. It's a joke he's not going in place of either guy but especially Favre..

Rivers ends the season as the NFL leader in TDs, Passer Rating, TD/INT ratio, and Yrd/Pass.LHUCKS, Jeff P, Moe Green, and others, what does this guy have to do to get some respect?
No kidding.. I still don't understand why they vote for the pro bowl with 4 games left. He should of been voted in anyway but with the way Favre & Cutler both have played down the stretch. It's a joke he's not going in place of either guy but especially Favre..
Favre won't go so he'll probably end up going anyhow.

This guy might be my favorite player in the league

What I wouldnt give for the Bears to have a qb like him

I cant believe Im about to post this: :yucky: Dude is a stud pure and simple. I was a huge doubter when the whole Rivers/brees thing went down, after work Im going to buy myself and my son matching Rivers jerseys.

This guy might be my favorite player in the leagueWhat I wouldnt give for the Bears to have a qb like him
You mean even if he yelled in the stands after playoff victories? Geesh, to hear a lot of Sharks I would have thought it would be better to have a QB that doesn't make the playoffs just so long as they were quiet about it. For the record, I'm not a Shark either. I agree with you.

:lmao:You guys are a real piece of work - listening to whatever you want to listen to.For two years I've said that he's an above average QB that gets bolstered numbers due to him being durable.I also said that his schedule sucked in 07 and 08 for fantasty pruposes. I was 100% justified in 2007, but was way off in 2008. Congrats if you had Rivers and were confident enough to play him this past year. From a talent standpoint he's certainly good - but I don't believe he's a Top 5 guy long term. He is, however, a good enough NFL starter to be SD's QB for the next several years.Spin that however you like. He did very good this year, and be happy that Sproles won you a game. Rivers didn't do it, but the rest of SD was just good enough. Sproles and Scifres plus the defense did enough for the win.

:lmao:You guys are a real piece of work - listening to whatever you want to listen to.For two years I've said that he's an above average QB that gets bolstered numbers due to him being durable.I also said that his schedule sucked in 07 and 08 for fantasty pruposes. I was 100% justified in 2007, but was way off in 2008. Congrats if you had Rivers and were confident enough to play him this past year. From a talent standpoint he's certainly good - but I don't believe he's a Top 5 guy long term. He is, however, a good enough NFL starter to be SD's QB for the next several years.Spin that however you like. He did very good this year, and be happy that Sproles won you a game. Rivers didn't do it, but the rest of SD was just good enough. Sproles and Scifres plus the defense did enough for the win.
somehow I knew JeffP would post in here after this game

Last time I checked the NFL is about total team effort.

Rivers did his job for the most part. He mat not be elite but he's def a solid QB.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lmao: You guys are a real piece of work - listening to whatever you want to listen to.For two years I've said that he's an above average QB that gets bolstered numbers due to him being durable.I also said that his schedule sucked in 07 and 08 for fantasty pruposes. I was 100% justified in 2007, but was way off in 2008. Congrats if you had Rivers and were confident enough to play him this past year. From a talent standpoint he's certainly good - but I don't believe he's a Top 5 guy long term. He is, however, a good enough NFL starter to be SD's QB for the next several years.Spin that however you like. He did very good this year, and be happy that Sproles won you a game. Rivers didn't do it, but the rest of SD was just good enough. Sproles and Scifres plus the defense did enough for the win.
:thumbup: At how I'm the guy that is the target and this is perceived as a shot at him.How many times have I posted in this thread this season?You can't win in this thread - it's all populated with polar opposites - Rivers lovers or haters.I'm not a hater of Rivers. I call them as I see them.You love Rivers and he's your team's QB. Great - enjoy it. Many teams don't have franchise QBs and you do. Enjoy it. Every QB has warts - none throw 50 TDs and 0 INTs.Just relax and enjoy your W as you wait to see who you play next week.

:lmao: You guys are a real piece of work - listening to whatever you want to listen to.For two years I've said that he's an above average QB that gets bolstered numbers due to him being durable.I also said that his schedule sucked in 07 and 08 for fantasty pruposes. I was 100% justified in 2007, but was way off in 2008. Congrats if you had Rivers and were confident enough to play him this past year. From a talent standpoint he's certainly good - but I don't believe he's a Top 5 guy long term. He is, however, a good enough NFL starter to be SD's QB for the next several years.Spin that however you like. He did very good this year, and be happy that Sproles won you a game. Rivers didn't do it, but the rest of SD was just good enough. Sproles and Scifres plus the defense did enough for the win.
:thumbup: At how I'm the guy that is the target and this is perceived as a shot at him.How many times have I posted in this thread this season?You can't win in this thread - it's all populated with polar opposites - Rivers lovers or haters.I'm not a hater of Rivers. I call them as I see them.You love Rivers and he's your team's QB. Great - enjoy it. Many teams don't have franchise QBs and you do. Enjoy it. Every QB has warts - none throw 50 TDs and 0 INTs.Just relax and enjoy your W as you wait to see who you play next week.
dude I just love to give you ####I agree, before this season rivers was a borderline fantasy backup.His NFL cred at this point cannot be denied by anyone

:lmao: At how I'm the guy that is the target and this is perceived as a shot at him.How many times have I posted in this thread this season?You can't win in this thread - it's all populated with polar opposites - Rivers lovers or haters.I'm not a hater of Rivers. I call them as I see them.You love Rivers and he's your team's QB. Great - enjoy it. Many teams don't have franchise QBs and you do. Enjoy it. Every QB has warts - none throw 50 TDs and 0 INTs.Just relax and enjoy your W as you wait to see who you play next week.
dude I just love to give you ####I agree, before this season rivers was a borderline fantasy backup.His NFL cred at this point cannot be denied by anyone
:lmao: Now I have my own team to sweat..... :thumbup:

Rivers ends the season as the NFL leader in TDs, Passer Rating, TD/INT ratio, and Yrd/Pass.

LHUCKS, Jeff P, Moe Green, and others, what does this guy have to do to get some respect?
:lmao: You guys are a real piece of work - listening to whatever you want to listen to.

For two years I've said that he's an above average QB that gets bolstered numbers due to him being durable.

I also said that his schedule sucked in 07 and 08 for fantasty pruposes. I was 100% justified in 2007, but was way off in 2008. Congrats if you had Rivers and were confident enough to play him this past year.

From a talent standpoint he's certainly good - but I don't believe he's a Top 5 guy long term. He is, however, a good enough NFL starter to be SD's QB for the next several years.

Spin that however you like. He did very good this year, and be happy that Sproles won you a game. Rivers didn't do it, but the rest of SD was just good enough. Sproles and Scifres plus the defense did enough for the win.
I agree Jeff. Rivers, the NFL leader in TDs, TD/INT ratio, and Passer Rating, is certainly "a good enough NFL starter to be SD's QB for the nex several years". What would Rivers have to do to have a "great" year, under your criteria? Obviously leading the NFL in the categories I mentioned above aren't good enough.

Rivers is 36-17 as a starter, including 3-2 in the postseason. :rolleyes:
He didn't look that great tonight, but their defense, punter, and Sproles did. I believe that was posted in a different thread, as was yours.
Johnny U himself would tell you " a win is a win"
yeah, but this is why QB's get too much credit for wins and too much blame for losses...If the Indy D got the job done, Peyton is a winner tonight and people would be saying how weak Rivers looked.A win is a win FOR A TEAM, but I wouldn't use that for an individual player.

:rolleyes: You guys are a real piece of work - listening to whatever you want to listen to.For two years I've said that he's an above average QB that gets bolstered numbers due to him being durable.I also said that his schedule sucked in 07 and 08 for fantasty pruposes. I was 100% justified in 2007, but was way off in 2008. Congrats if you had Rivers and were confident enough to play him this past year. From a talent standpoint he's certainly good - but I don't believe he's a Top 5 guy long term. He is, however, a good enough NFL starter to be SD's QB for the next several years.Spin that however you like. He did very good this year, and be happy that Sproles won you a game. Rivers didn't do it, but the rest of SD was just good enough. Sproles and Scifres plus the defense did enough for the win.
:lmao: At how I'm the guy that is the target and this is perceived as a shot at him.How many times have I posted in this thread this season?You can't win in this thread - it's all populated with polar opposites - Rivers lovers or haters.I'm not a hater of Rivers. I call them as I see them.You love Rivers and he's your team's QB. Great - enjoy it. Many teams don't have franchise QBs and you do. Enjoy it. Every QB has warts - none throw 50 TDs and 0 INTs.Just relax and enjoy your W as you wait to see who you play next week.
In the preseason, you ranked Rivers as the most "Overrated QB" as the 16th ranked QB overall, suggesting you considered him to be far worse than than. He finished 2nd overall. And you wonder why you're catching heat for hating on Rivers? :D

:rolleyes: You guys are a real piece of work - listening to whatever you want to listen to.For two years I've said that he's an above average QB that gets bolstered numbers due to him being durable.I also said that his schedule sucked in 07 and 08 for fantasty pruposes. I was 100% justified in 2007, but was way off in 2008. Congrats if you had Rivers and were confident enough to play him this past year. From a talent standpoint he's certainly good - but I don't believe he's a Top 5 guy long term. He is, however, a good enough NFL starter to be SD's QB for the next several years.Spin that however you like. He did very good this year, and be happy that Sproles won you a game. Rivers didn't do it, but the rest of SD was just good enough. Sproles and Scifres plus the defense did enough for the win.
In the preseason, you ranked Rivers as the most "Overrated QB" as the 16th ranked QB overall, suggesting you considered him to be far worse than than. He finished 2nd overall. And you wonder why you're catching heat for hating on Rivers? :D
No answer will be good enough for you, so just enjoy it.I was wrong in slating him at 16 this year. It happens.Congrats on your team winning tonight - in spite of your QB. :D

:thumbup: You guys are a real piece of work - listening to whatever you want to listen to.For two years I've said that he's an above average QB that gets bolstered numbers due to him being durable.I also said that his schedule sucked in 07 and 08 for fantasty pruposes. I was 100% justified in 2007, but was way off in 2008. Congrats if you had Rivers and were confident enough to play him this past year. From a talent standpoint he's certainly good - but I don't believe he's a Top 5 guy long term. He is, however, a good enough NFL starter to be SD's QB for the next several years.Spin that however you like. He did very good this year, and be happy that Sproles won you a game. Rivers didn't do it, but the rest of SD was just good enough. Sproles and Scifres plus the defense did enough for the win.
tommy in Jeff's defense no one saw this coming out of Phil.He kind of hit the perfect storm to have this kind of FFL season.bad D, lack of a solid running gameTo me, he will "regress to the mean" (trademark). I dont think the charger D or running game will be as bad next season, thus he wont need to have th type of season he just had

Rivers ends the season as the NFL leader in TDs, Passer Rating, TD/INT ratio, and Yrd/Pass.

LHUCKS, Jeff P, Moe Green, and others, what does this guy have to do to get some respect?
:thumbup: You guys are a real piece of work - listening to whatever you want to listen to.

For two years I've said that he's an above average QB that gets bolstered numbers due to him being durable.

I also said that his schedule sucked in 07 and 08 for fantasty pruposes. I was 100% justified in 2007, but was way off in 2008. Congrats if you had Rivers and were confident enough to play him this past year.

From a talent standpoint he's certainly good - but I don't believe he's a Top 5 guy long term. He is, however, a good enough NFL starter to be SD's QB for the next several years.

Spin that however you like. He did very good this year, and be happy that Sproles won you a game. Rivers didn't do it, but the rest of SD was just good enough. Sproles and Scifres plus the defense did enough for the win.
I agree Jeff. Rivers, the NFL leader in TDs, TD/INT ratio, and Passer Rating, is certainly "a good enough NFL starter to be SD's QB for the nex several years". What would Rivers have to do to have a "great" year, under your criteria? Obviously leading the NFL in the categories I mentioned above aren't good enough.
Rivers is going to need a stud #1 WR. Peyton had Marvin Harrison and then Reggie Wayne. McNabb had his best season when he had Owens. Brady had his best when he had Moss. That's pretty much what it comes down to. It is incredibly impressive that Rivers did this when he lacks a true stud #1 WR though.

:lmao: You guys are a real piece of work - listening to whatever you want to listen to.

Rivers is going to need a stud #1 WR. Peyton had Marvin Harrison and then Reggie Wayne. McNabb had his best season when he had Owens. Brady had his best when he had Moss. That's pretty much what it comes down to. It is incredibly impressive that Rivers did this when he lacks a true stud #1 WR though.
Yes because Rivers only has and elite receiving TE and most productive RB this era to work with.

Yes because Rivers only has and elite receiving TE and most productive RB this era to work with.
Maybe you haven't noticed that Rivers dominated this year while LT had the worst season of his career and Gates had his worst season since his 2003 rookie season.

Maybe you haven't noticed that Rivers dominated this year while LT had the worst season of his career and Gates had his worst season since his 2003 rookie season.
Thanks to his WRs right?

Max Power said:
Just Win Baby said:
Max Power said:
Die said:
tommyGunZ said:
Jeff Pasquino said:

Thanks to his WRs right?
Thanks to his use of a variety of targets. Only one player on the team had more than 704 yards receiving - Jackson, with 1098. Do you think Jackson is a "stud #1 WR" like Harrison/Wayne/Owens/Moss were/are? You responded to a post saying San Diego should get Rivers a true #1 WR. I am not following your point.

Max Power said:
Just Win Baby said:
Max Power said:
Die said:
tommyGunZ said:
Jeff Pasquino said:

Thanks to his WRs right?
Thanks to his use of a variety of targets. Only one player on the team had more than 704 yards receiving - Jackson, with 1098. Do you think Jackson is a "stud #1 WR" like Harrison/Wayne/Owens/Moss were/are? You responded to a post saying San Diego should get Rivers a true #1 WR. I am not following your point.
I'm just saying these "true #1" and "stud WR" are subjective. What makes a stud WR? a good QB? Seriously, is Wayne really that talented? For all I know Chambers could have as much if not more talent than Wayne. I just can't sit here and listen to someone say Rivers overcame not having a fantasy #1 WR to succeed. Just because Gates/Floyd/Jackson/Chambers don't get the same amount of targets per game, doesn't mean they don't do as much if not more on a per target/catch ratio.

I just can't sit here and listen to someone say Rivers overcame not having a fantasy #1 WR to succeed.
Did someone say that?

Rivers is really good.

He may not be a top five fantasy QB every year (although he certainly may be). But he's definitely a top 5 NFL QB, IMO.

I just can't sit here and listen to someone say Rivers overcame not having a fantasy #1 WR to succeed.
Did someone say that?
Where in that quote was anything said about fantasy?

Did someone say that?
Favre made a career out of this.

Rivers is really good.He may not be a top five fantasy QB every year (although he certainly may be). But he's definitely a top 5 NFL QB, IMO.
I disagree. He's good but not great. But love him or hate him, I think he has one of the ugliest throws in the league. A ball thrown from Rivers looks like Rosie O'Donnell in flight.

Rivers is really good.He may not be a top five fantasy QB every year (although he certainly may be). But he's definitely a top 5 NFL QB, IMO.
I disagree. He's good but not great. But love him or hate him, I think he has one of the ugliest throws in the league. A ball thrown from Rivers looks like Rosie O'Donnell in flight.
My first react to "Top 5" was "no way", but I struggled with finding 5 better. I checked my Dynasty Rankings and I have Rivers at #9, but I can easily see him anywhere from 5 - 10. After Brees, Peyton, Cutler and a healthy Brady the debate begins. Not sure what that says more - that Rivers belongs at 5, or that the league needs better QB play. Romo, Rodgers, Ryan and Big Ben along with McNabb are on par with Rivers at this point IMHO - all of them have gaps in their game.For Rivers to be in that top tier he needs another season like this and then he'll belong in the Top 5.

Did someone say that?
Where in that quote was anything said about fantasy?
I did toss the word fantasty in there. Mainly due to this being a FF website. Sometime I get the lines blurred. Point still remains the same.

My first react to "Top 5" was "no way", but I struggled with finding 5 better. I checked my Dynasty Rankings and I have Rivers at #9, but I can easily see him anywhere from 5 - 10. After Brees, Peyton, Cutler and a healthy Brady the debate begins. Not sure what that says more - that Rivers belongs at 5, or that the league needs better QB play. Romo, Rodgers, Ryan and Big Ben along with McNabb are on par with Rivers at this point IMHO - all of them have gaps in their game.For Rivers to be in that top tier he needs another season like this and then he'll belong in the Top 5.
I assume you are talking NFL (not fantasy here). It kind of hard to not talk about the other Qb who he was drafted with. While Rivers may have the stats, Eli has won the big games.

I assume you are talking NFL (not fantasy here). It kind of hard to not talk about the other Qb who he was drafted with. While Rivers may have the stats, Eli has won the big games.
He said dynasty, not NFL. Easy to see as Cutler is clearly not NFL top 5 given his tendency to not show up / throw balls into triple coverage.NFL Tiers:1. Manning and Brady2. Roethlisburger3. Brees, McNabb4. Romo, Cutler, Rivers5. Half a dozen guysNext year, valuating Romo, Cutler and Rivers will come down to risk / reward, in roughly that order....

Did someone say that?
Where was the word "fantasy" in that quote? I was under the impression we were talking real football here, not fantasy football.

His motion is not pretty, but I've never noticed that his passes are ugly in flight. Is that what you're saying?

He said dynasty, not NFL. Easy to see as Cutler is clearly not NFL top 5 given his tendency to not show up / throw balls into triple coverage.NFL Tiers:1. Manning and Brady2. Roethlisburger3. Brees, McNabb4. Romo, Cutler, Rivers5. Half a dozen guysNext year, valuating Romo, Cutler and Rivers will come down to risk / reward, in roughly that order....
From an NFL perspective, what is the basis for putting Cutler in the same tier as Romo and Rivers? His record as a starter is 17-20, and he has never played in a playoff game. His career QB rating is 87.1, and it has gone down each season. And going forward, he has lost Shanahan... hard to believe that will be a positive for him.Please elaborate.

From an NFL perspective, what is the basis for putting Cutler in the same tier as Romo and Rivers? His record as a starter is 17-20, and he has never played in a playoff game. His career QB rating is 87.1, and it has gone down each season. And going forward, he has lost Shanahan... hard to believe that will be a positive for him.Please elaborate.
:goodposting: From a fantasy football perspective you can? Who cares what his record and playoff apperances are. He has all the weapons around him except a running game which would only improve his skill set

Rivers is really good.

He may not be a top five fantasy QB every year (although he certainly may be). But he's definitely a top 5 NFL QB, IMO.
He said dynasty, not NFL. Easy to see as Cutler is clearly not NFL top 5 given his tendency to not show up / throw balls into triple coverage.NFL Tiers:

1. Manning and Brady

2. Roethlisburger

3. Brees, McNabb

4. Romo, Cutler, Rivers

5. Half a dozen guys

Next year, valuating Romo, Cutler and Rivers will come down to risk / reward, in roughly that order....
steelers fan, are we? he's got no business in this group.

Because QBs shouldn't be judged by W-L, or QB rating. I think Cutler is a bit overrated, but he's improved each season in ANY/A and that's what counts.

:goodposting: From a fantasy football perspective you can? Who cares what his record and playoff apperances are. He has all the weapons around him except a running game which would only improve his skill set
I probably misunderstood. When he said "NFL tiers" (as opposed to fantasy tiers or dynasty tiers), I thought he was listing the tiers of QBs from an NFL perspective, not from a fantasy perspective. That's what I was questioning. If those are fantasy tiers, I agree record and playoff appearances aren't particularly relevant (though eventually he'll need to improve both to stay on the field long term).

Did someone say that?
Where was the word "fantasy" in that quote? I was under the impression we were talking real football here, not fantasy football.
As I said before, take the word fantasy out. Point still remains.

Because QBs shouldn't be judged by W-L, or QB rating.
Tell us how they should be judged.

Where is all of this Cutler love coming from? Do you guys play in fantasy leagues that reward "passing MPH" instead of passing TDs?

Upside.

Upside.
:lmao: clears this debate up. Case closed.

Upside.
Do you mean that a guy with a losing record who lost his biggest fan in the organization after the team surrendered a big division lead to miss the playoffs has nowhere to go but up? I guess that's upside.

Users who are viewing this thread