What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Perfect League Size? (1 Viewer)

MCguidance

Footballguy
I am in a 14 team league, and like it for the most part. But I think it kind of spreads out the talent a bit too much. I am wondering what everyone thinks about their respective league size? What are the pros and cons of each?

I generally like the 12 team leagues. With a 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE, K D format.

10 teams is fun, but with so much talent per team, picking weekly starters is a pain, and 14 teams makes some of those bye weeks really bad.

I am in a 14 team league, and like it for the most part. But I think it kind of spreads out the talent a bit too much. I am wondering what everyone thinks about their respective league size? What are the pros and cons of each?
YOU GUPPIEZ!! I ONLY PLAY IN 32 TEAM LEAGUES WITH 53 MAN ROSTERS!! Seriously, I play in one 10-team league and 2 12-teamers, and I think 12 is perfect.

10 teams is okay if you have more starting requirements. 1/2 QB, 2 RB, 3/4 WR, 1/2 TE, 1/2 Kick, 1/2 Def

12 teams from my experience is the best size league. 1 QB, 2 RB, 2/3 WR, 1/2 TE, 1 Kick, 1 Def

14 teams is to many unless the starting requirements is smaller. 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 Kick, 1 Def

With the way bye weeks are now it is not the league size that causes any problems instead the starting requirements.

I would have to agree. My 14 team league is just an injury away from ruing a season. I think the draft may be more important, but an injury to Sjax really can decimate a season. A guy that you conservatively put at 1300-8 and gives you 650-4 is just a killer. I am seriously thinking of starting a league next year, and trying to get another 11 to join me -- though it seems hard to field a league.

YOU GUPPIEZ!! I ONLY PLAY IN 32 TEAM LEAGUES WITH 53 MAN ROSTERS!! Seriously, I play in one 10-team league and 2 12-teamers, and I think 12 is perfect.
:confused: :unsure: playing in 2 12 man leagues and 1 8 man (older league that i just stay in cause we've been together awhile). i hate the 8 man, and will probably only play in 12 man leagues from now on. i'm an IDP rookie too and i like that as well.

12 is perfect except for 2 things:

1. you gotta keep the rosters down to 15 or less, otherwise the talent is watered down beyond belief. (One year I did 12 x 21, which is more players than 16x15!)

2. it's far too easy to make the QB position devalued. When you only start 12 of 32 QBs, there's a LOT of talent going unused (on waiver wires and benches). There's little point in spending an early pick on a QB because you can usually find a comparable QB in the 8th/9th/10th round.

There is no "perfect" league size.

The "perfect" league, IMHO, is based on it's owners. A league where every owner is very knowledgeable & competitive and submits the best line up possible even when they have no chance at the playoffs.

Personally, my 13 year - 10 teamer money league is my favorite.

I am in a free 14 team Yahoo league that has 2 IDP ( Individual Defensive Players ) but I think that the roster size is about 2 players too short.

In my opinion, anything over a 12 teamer spreads the talent too thin. But again, that is just my opinion.

12 is perfect except for 2 things:1. you gotta keep the rosters down to 15 or less, otherwise the talent is watered down beyond belief. (One year I did 12 x 21, which is more players than 16x15!)2. it's far too easy to make the QB position devalued. When you only start 12 of 32 QBs, there's a LOT of talent going unused (on waiver wires and benches). There's little point in spending an early pick on a QB because you can usually find a comparable QB in the 8th/9th/10th round.
But maybe there is a way to kind of counter balance that with waiver fees (in a money league) or a cap on ww moves in a non money league? By charging 5 bucks after the first 5 moves it may cut down on WWs and not devalue it so much?

12 is perfect except for 2 things:

1. you gotta keep the rosters down to 15 or less, otherwise the talent is watered down beyond belief. (One year I did 12 x 21, which is more players than 16x15!)

2. it's far too easy to make the QB position devalued. When you only start 12 of 32 QBs, there's a LOT of talent going unused (on waiver wires and benches). There's little point in spending an early pick on a QB because you can usually find a comparable QB in the 8th/9th/10th round.
But maybe there is a way to kind of counter balance that with waiver fees (in a money league) or a cap on ww moves in a non money league? By charging 5 bucks after the first 5 moves it may cut down on WWs and not devalue it so much?
Funny, that's exactly how it worked in the 12x21 league. But there were so no good players on the WW so it didn't matter. Then we reduced the rosters to 18 and it was only slightly better -- people didn't want to spend the $5 on speculative players like Faulk or Kenton Keith.

Aside from the question of dilution of talent, 10 teams is perfect, if you play a 13 game regular season schedule. Allows creation of two divisions with one game against non-division foes and two games against division teams.

I also like 10 teams when using a 2 QB lineup requirement, as it allows all teams to get 3 QBs. With more than 10, at least one team gets left out in the cold and has no QB for a bye week.

I like 14 myself. 12 or less and everyone has an allstar team and bench. 14 teamers separate the cream.

Users who are viewing this thread