What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****Official**** depression thread (1 Viewer)

I think there's a difference between being clinically depressed and being reasonably sad and empty about real-life events. I don't know that there's a "treatment" for that other than feeling the feelings knowing that right now is as bad as it gets and it will eventually bet better.

A good friend of mine lost her husband to MS a few months ago and said the support group she joined has been very helpful, much more so than she expected.
Spot on banana. Big difference as there are different types of depression. Clinical depression is another term for chronic and major depression. You can't quite pinpoint why. It's just there all the time. Most need not only therapy but meds to for awhile anyway.

There is nothing like going to a support group that fits your situation in person. Online forums are great like the ones I go for cancer, but in person it's just totally different. I used to attend a support group. Now I may help run it. It's not only unloading but I think really what helps is the fact that you are helping others too, esp those who are behind you in their journey. It's amazing when you think you don't have much to offer in the way of help how you really do just by listening and showing you care.

1:1 counseling may be beneficial, but you learn and grow more with your 'peers' than you do from a therapist who probably has never been in your shoes. Part of combating depression is not allowing it to keep you inside/idle. You have to push on through. Take the meds if needed. The longer you are in that hole the harder it is to get out of it.

If you can change something to make it better but have the fear, which goes along with depression and anxiety, you have to push past it. There's an old book that I have called "Fear The Fear and Do It Anyway." That and "Don't Sweat The Small Stuff and It's All Small Stuff." These two books helped me the most with dealing with all kinds of life issues.

I wish everyone in here well. It's a very tough battle and unfortunately even though we've come a long way in mental health awareness, there are still the misconceptions and stereotypes out there that keep many in the depression closet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting to round the corner into winter which seems to be a bad season for depression. Been a tough last few weeks. Haven't gone through this entire thread so I'm not sure if there's any discussion on rumination, but I'm wondering if anybody in here has any tips on avoiding it. Major increase in rumination lately has been a big red flag, messing up my sleep among other things. The rest is soon to come, if my last depression bouts are any indication.

Starting to round the corner into winter which seems to be a bad season for depression. Been a tough last few weeks. Haven't gone through this entire thread so I'm not sure if there's any discussion on rumination, but I'm wondering if anybody in here has any tips on avoiding it. Major increase in rumination lately has been a big red flag, messing up my sleep among other things. The rest is soon to come, if my last depression bouts are any indication.
I "what if" myself to death sometimes. Especially about past relationships. I am gentle with myself and remind myself that I don't have a time machine and that there is nothing I can do about it now. Then I think about what I can do today to feel better, to move my life forward. That may mean taking a hike, being more productive at work, or reconnecting with friends. For the the key is to realize that I am focusing on the past and doing something, anything to get out of it. 

If I were talking to someone haunted by regrets I'd ask them if there is anything they can do about the situation now and if not what can the do in the future to make sure it doesn't happen again. I had addiction issues that derailed my career and my marriage and has effected my relationship with child b/c my ex moved out of state. I can't change those facts. All I can do is work hard at rebuilding my career and visit my daughter when I can. Focusing on "I wish this or that never happened" isn't going to help me. 

Gratitude also plays a big part in my anti-depression efforts. There were days where I only kept going because I knew that I had a roof over my head and a lot of people don't. I can sit down eat a decent meal and watch a TV show that I like. To me that's a big deal. A lot of people don't have that luxury.

Pardon the pontification, but rumination is largely another case of wires crossing between between our lower and higher brains. Simply put, we have essentially three brains - a pre-mammalian brain, a mammalian brain and a human brain. They are literally stacked upon each other, not really that integrated at all as systems. The lower brain indulges nothing but survival issues - feed/####/fight/flee. Everything is DefCon4 in this section and. to this day, we feel all its impulses hard in the name of survival. The middle brain deals with the art of the hunt, the art of the mate, heeding the herd, the hoard, the hide.

That middle is where ruminating comes from. It's what i call Lost Food Syndrome. In the wild, you lose food, you might die. If you are member of a herd, you probably won't but, lose food twice, you're out the herd, then you die. Before we had a cerebral cortex, there was nothing to interfere with us saying dontlosefooddontlosefooddontlosefood and remembering the picture in your head of the last time you lost food over&over&over&over&over&over&over so you remember not to lose food next time or you're out/shamed/exposed/dead. 

The higher, human brain is able to abstract these concepts and, with generations of practice, we've become largely able to avoid being dramatically bothered by our lowest impulses. When our worlds are shaken or troubles have us underwater, though, we can all be prone to fall back on some kind of dontlosefooddontlosefooddontlosefood brooding. Mechanisms are hard to suppress once they are triggered - that's why they are mechanisms. 

Once a person is made aware that it's just a mechanism, an anachronism in our system, it's easier not to take it personally. You dont take a cough personally - it's like that. Once one stops taking a physical reaction personally, it is easier to relax. But there's nothing says you can't help that relaxing along with a little focused breathing, meditation technique, happyplace ideation, etc. If that doesn't work, you may want to investigate SSRIs with your medical doctor. I say medical doctor because it is as important to get off SSRIs in a timely fashion as it is to start them, and shrinks are often not invested in getting patients off anything. Good luck -

One thing I would suggest to everyone who is feeling depressed is to get a thorough workup by your regular doctor. There are multiple medical issues that can present similarly to depression: anemia, low thyroid, low testosterone, and several others. Please get those ruled out first. (Speaking from experience that I hope helps some of you from going down the wrong treatment path.)

Anyone have any good resources for a person whose spouse is battling depression?  Long story short, my wife had a borderline meltdown last night and I'm kinda terrified/lost as to what to do.

Hard to say. By borderline, do you mean she almost had a full meltdown or that she had a Borderline Personality Disorder-type meltdown?

Anyone have any good resources for a person whose spouse is battling depression?  Long story short, my wife had a borderline meltdown last night and I'm kinda terrified/lost as to what to do.
We all can have meltdowns but the difference is can we bounce back within a reasonable time frame. Is it based on an event(s)- or is it just general I don't know type. Sometimes venting to friends/family does it. Sometimes not, and professional help is needed. This time of year doesn't help for many suffering because of the short daylight hours.

As for what you can do is just to be there. You can't fix it, only she can do that by reaching out.

A good resource is NAMI. It's for families too. http://www.nami.org/

Just remember, folks, it is not absolutely necessary that you take life personally. Happenstance is not on you, only how you respond. Winter solstice means days get longer again. Best of the season to all -

I stared at the wall for 20 minutes straight this morning for no reason.  I think I am mentally hiding from something and my motovation disappears completely.  Its weird, I don't even realize I'm doing it.  At least my mood is ok today.

Does anyone else zone out for chunks of the day?  Sometimes its depression related but other times its not.

I stared at the wall for 20 minutes straight this morning for no reason.  I think I am mentally hiding from something and my motovation disappears completely.  Its weird, I don't even realize I'm doing it.  At least my mood is ok today.

Does anyone else zone out for chunks of the day?  Sometimes its depression related but other times its not.
my brother does this, me to a lesser degree. he had it diagnosed as a type of ADD... but with some kind of hyper-myopic focus (my phrase, not the diagnosis). I think the AD part gets put on everything else at the expense of the singular thing he's working on or thinking about. he has to have alarms around him at all times to break him out of whatever he's doing so that he can do any/everything else too.

does it feel like that?

my brother does this, me to a lesser degree. he had it diagnosed as a type of ADD... but with some kind of hyper-myopic focus (my phrase, not the diagnosis). I think the AD part gets put on everything else at the expense of the singular thing he's working on or thinking about. he has to have alarms around him at all times to break him out of whatever he's doing so that he can do any/everything else too.

does it feel like that?
Yeah, I have that too now that you mention it. Exactly what it is.  I totally forgot about it.  I stopped my ADD meds in college.  I have had many undiagnosed concussions and I wonder if they play into any of this.

I try to click on fbg threads in the morning to get my brain thinking about different types of things as a warmup for the day.

I am definitely depressed. I wouldn't call it "clinical" or really mental-health related at all, there are simply some things going on in my life that make me incredibly sad, for good reason.

I got divorced five years ago and that was a rough experience, but I ended up meeting an amazing woman who became Wife 2.0. Unfortunately, my ex-wife continues to be a major thorn in my side.

She has absolutely poisoned the well with my three children, to varying degrees. And she is a lousy parent to them (she has custody and they are with her about 75% of the time). 

My oldest is sixteen. He has been actively unpleasant to Wife 2.0 for 4+ years. Once I stopped ignoring it and held him accountable for his actions and attitude, he turned his ire towards me. He won't talk about why he acts the way he does and he refuses to do anything, even the smallest gesture, to back up his claims that he "wants things to be better".

My 13 year old daughter has panic attacks and is starting therapy for teen anxieties. My youngest, an 11 year old boy, has some issues as well.

Their mother is a passive-aggressive narcissist who will play the victim angle any time she doesn't like something. She has passed some of those traits on to our children (whether by nature or nurture) and also refuses to hold them accountable when they make bad choices.

I also hate my current job and am disappointed at what has happened to my career and finances over the past 8-10 years. There is a decent chance there could be a positive change on that front over the next 3-4 months, but I am not counting my chickens just yet. 

But the situation with my children is the #1 thing that makes me depressed. I don't know how to change it. I have tried everything.

And the situation is having a negative effect on my wife and step-kids as well.

I keep running through what I could have done differently to prevent this situation and I keep asking myself what I have done to deserve this. I am more than willing to shoulder whatever blame is mine, but I can't really come up with anything concrete. I feel powerless and am heart-broken.

Man, sorry to hear that RL.  Not sure if you can afford it or not, but having a few therapy or counselling sessions could help.  Your problems seem to be very situational/environmentally based and while medication could help take the edge off, the issues will still remain.  If I were you, I'd focus on my current wife first, then my kids and then my job.  If you can team up with the wife (not just vent to her), she may be able to help you work through things with your kids.

TPW.  Hope some rays of light start to shine through.  

Man, sorry to hear that RL.  Not sure if you can afford it or not, but having a few therapy or counselling sessions could help.  Your problems seem to be very situational/environmentally based and while medication could help take the edge off, the issues will still remain.  If I were you, I'd focus on my current wife first, then my kids and then my job.  If you can team up with the wife (not just vent to her), she may be able to help you work through things with your kids.

I really appreciate the kind words.

I know we've had some fairly unpleasant exchanges over the years. That you would go out of your way to post that is a credit to you.

Yeah, I have that too now that you mention it. Exactly what it is.  I totally forgot about it.  I stopped my ADD meds in college.  I have had many undiagnosed concussions and I wonder if they play into any of this.

I try to click on fbg threads in the morning to get my brain thinking about different types of things as a warmup for the day.
I've never been ADD diagnosed, but I had a lot of problems in my previous line of work similar to this and really struggled on a daily basis.  Seemed unable to snap out of it no matter what I did.

The thing that helped me the most was simply shifting careers.  I'm now doing something that involves people (construction project coordinator) instead of just me and a computer all day (accounting).  The more isolated my job was, the worse I handled it.  The more social in nature, the better I do.

Not sure if that could be of any use to you or anyone else.  I know I sure tried a LOT of different avenues (meds, counselling, etc.) before figuring out the root of my problems was the environment my career kept me in.  Shifting gears after a lengthy career wasn't easy, but it probably saved my family and maybe even my life.  I make less now, but I don't dread going to work every day.

I went from working at the P.O. to real estate so yeah, I agree with that too.  I'm much better off now.

I keep running through what I could have done differently to prevent this situation and I keep asking myself what I have done to deserve this. I am more than willing to shoulder whatever blame is mine, but I can't really come up with anything concrete. I feel powerless and am heart-broken.
You aren't alone. I'm in a good place now but I spent years earlier in my life grappling with these feelings, and I don't think they ever fully go away. 

This next part will fall into the category of easier said than done, but I really believe the key for me was letting go of the past and focusing on the present. Not letting go in the sense of walking away, you obviously can't do that with kids and family, but in accepting that you can't change past decisions. Also accepting that you can't change other people and how they relate to you or past actions.

But we all have the power to make choices today, informed by but not beholden to our past decisions. I don't even think about the future too much, except in the broadest terms. High level goals for myself that help structure my decisions in the moment. 

Hopefully this doesn't come off as preachy. It's the way that works for me, I'm sure there are many others. Mainly I just want you to know that you aren't alone, and I believe you can find your path.

Pardon my presumption, RL, My observation is that you are a very substantial individual. As part of this, you sense - correctly - that most people aren't. Your personal economy causes you to shut down idiots and featherweights as briskly as possible and, failing that, shut yourself down from them to spare the bull####. Depression is, in part - as i've gone on at length about on this board - an imitation, an abstraction of our old animal mechanism for handling starvation (lowering pulse, resps, caloric use, ie shutting down), so "closing" yourself in stress can dull an otherwise vigorous person who isn't careful how they do so. Try, during each of your difficulties, to find a way to "open" yourself - get a positive boost from effort/effect - for each time you close yourself and you may find greater personal equilibrium. Good luck -

I know what Im suffering from is more grief than depression but I am VERY nervous about my future state of mind on NYE. I always get depressed around NYE every year and this year I fear I will crawl into a ball and want to hide under a pile of laundry. I told my wife I do not want to celebrate and would prefer to stay home and even sleep through the ball drop but I know she does not want to do the same. Also there is my son to consider. I dont want to drag him down with me. I wish I can just FF to January 2.

I know what Im suffering from is more grief than depression but I am VERY nervous about my future state of mind on NYE. I always get depressed around NYE every year and this year I fear I will crawl into a ball and want to hide under a pile of laundry. I told my wife I do not want to celebrate and would prefer to stay home and even sleep through the ball drop but I know she does not want to do the same. Also there is my son to consider. I dont want to drag him down with me. I wish I can just FF to January 2.
I can't even imagine what it must be like for you. I have enough trouble coping with my family issues--a major tragedy like you suffered is unfathomable.

Stay strong GB.

Pix,

Are you into any physical activities? Stuff like martial arts, swimming and running really help with ADD/ADHD. 

Pix,

Are you into any physical activities? Stuff like martial arts, swimming and running really help with ADD/ADHD. 
I'd second this.

Another key to my recovery has been my side job as a football and basketball official.  Not only is it physical exercise, but it is another way to interact with people and have some success.  I don't even mind getting yelled at sometimes.

I know we've had some fairly unpleasant exchanges over the years. That you would go out of your way to post that is a credit to you.
There are serious issues that are beyond the petty differences that pop up in the FFA and this is one of them.  I also thank you for your kind words.

Its funny how you can think one thing of a person based on a few exchanges and then when you get deeper into that person's life, your opinion can change drastically.  I used to get really annoyed at @McGarnicle and kind of despised him until I had his name in the T-shirt exchange.  I dug through his posting history, did some internet sleuthing to try and determine what kind of stuff he was into.  Come to find out, he is a really giving person has some real life struggles and loves dogs and disc golf.  He is also one of the funniest guys around here and I appreciate his humor much more now.  I've tried to apply that lesson to everyone in the FFA and I hope I come across as less of a tool than I used to.

Pardon my presumption, RL, My observation is that you are a very substantial individual. As part of this, you sense - correctly - that most people aren't. Your personal economy causes you to shut down idiots and featherweights as briskly as possible and, failing that, shut yourself down from them to spare the bull####. Depression is, in part - as i've gone on at length about on this board - an imitation, an abstraction of our old animal mechanism for handling starvation (lowering pulse, resps, caloric use, ie shutting down), so "closing" yourself in stress can dull an otherwise vigorous person who isn't careful how they do so. Try, during each of your difficulties, to find a way to "open" yourself - get a positive boost from effort/effect - for each time you close yourself and you may find greater personal equilibrium. Good luck -
Also, for those of you whom wikkid reaches out to...take advantage of his wisdom in these areas.  Guy threw some knowledge at me months ago and it helped me through a few hurdles.  Special thanks to @wikkidpissah and I'm looking forward to reading the future blog he keeps hinting at.

There are serious issues that are beyond the petty differences that pop up in the FFA and this is one of them.  I also thank you for your kind words.

Its funny how you can think one thing of a person based on a few exchanges and then when you get deeper into that person's life, your opinion can change drastically.  I used to get really annoyed at @McGarnicle and kind of despised him until I had his name in the T-shirt exchange.  I dug through his posting history, did some internet sleuthing to try and determine what kind of stuff he was into.  Come to find out, he is a really giving person has some real life struggles and loves dogs and disc golf.  He is also one of the funniest guys around here and I appreciate his humor much more now.  I've tried to apply that lesson to everyone in the FFA and I hope I come across as less of a tool than I used to.
Wow, thanks man. I've had a bad tendency to tee off on people in here just to take out my frustrations I guess. Some posters make it difficult but I've tried to curtail that as much as possible. I don't like seeing how people interact in the politics threads especially and I don't want to be one of those people anymore. I've found that pornography really helps. 

This may be nitpicking as I agree with your sentiments but I would not say put wife 2.0 in front of the children.  That may be some of the source of the oldest son's acting out.  Not that RL did things wrong but the son could perceive it that way.  I'm a firm believer that husbands and wives need to not put their kids over the other one but I think this dynamic changes somewhat when you get remarried.  The kids are caught in the middle and their stability should be priority #1 IMO.  RL - please don't take this as a knock, not suggesting you are doing this at all - good luck, hope things get better for you.

Wow, thanks man. I've had a bad tendency to tee off on people in here just to take out my frustrations I guess. Some posters make it difficult but I've tried to curtail that as much as possible. I don't like seeing how people interact in the politics threads especially and I don't want to be one of those people anymore. I've found that pornography really helps. 
:lmao:   So subtle, yet hilarious.

This may be nitpicking as I agree with your sentiments but I would not say put wife 2.0 in front of the children.  That may be some of the source of the oldest son's acting out.  Not that RL did things wrong but the son could perceive it that way.  I'm a firm believer that husbands and wives need to not put their kids over the other one but I think this dynamic changes somewhat when you get remarried.  The kids are caught in the middle and their stability should be priority #1 IMO.  RL - please don't take this as a knock, not suggesting you are doing this at all - good luck, hope things get better for you.
This is tricky. 

I am generally not a super confrontational person and I also had a history of letting my ex-wife get away with all sorts of ####, both when we were married and also immediately after we split up. She was the type who would passive aggressively punish, primarily with silence, when we were married. She is also a grudge-holder and could stay mad far longer than I could, so I got in a habit of rolling over when we disagreed. So I got in the habit of standing down during those conflicts, to the point that I would end up apologizing for things even when I should have been the one receiving the apology.

Unfortunately, at first I continued to follow that pattern after we split up. Early in our relationship Wife 2.0 pointed this out to me and encouraged me to stand my ground on things both with my ex-wife and with the kids, when my first instinct was to let things slide in order to avoid things getting unpleasant. So my ex- and my kids both recognize that the change in my reactions are due to Wife 2.0's influence. I think it is actually a positive difference; they clearly do not. This is one of the main sources of my ex-wife's hatred for Wife 2.0.

My ex-wife is also very much of the "kid-centric" parenting approach, in addition to basically passing on the victim mentality to my kids. Wife 2.0 has a different approach, which I haven't fully adopted, but have moved toward. She is quite direct with her kids (and with me) when we do something that isn't really okay. This has been a big change from my kids' perspective. They had been used to being treated gently and to their mom making excuses for them. And she still is, but I am trying to be more straightforward and direct. As a result, when I call them out for doing something wrong, their first reaction is often to get angry at me for "making them feel bad". None of them are stupid. They all know that the change was due to Wife 2.0 coming in the picture. Again, I see it as a positive: she is helping me be a better parent. They have a different view of it. 

I was nervous about mixing add medications together.
Just make sure the med they are looking to give you doesn't interact with any other. One of my docs had to google if one of mine which isn't really known to her would interact with a med she wanted me on (not psych med but still). Google is great to dub check yourself.

Been mentioned many times in here but this time of year just sucks ###.
:goodposting:  

It kind of sucks even if you don't suffer from seasonal depression or anything. Best case, it's an expensive and annoying ordeal. Only thing good about this time of year is football. I would say food too, but everyone just stuffs themselves and then they pack the gyms for the first two weeks of January, because people are stupid.

I was feeling down and I went to see some live music tonight.  Granted it was a high school orchestra but I feel like a million bucks now.   

Also, they were playing C.R.E.A.M. during the Grizz-Celts game (during play) which was pretty cool too.

Winter solstice is Wed 2:44 am. Longest night is tonight. So ever so slowly days will start to get longer again. With seasonal affective disorder (SAD) you can lift yourself up by not just sitting around. With chronic depression, not so much.This time of the year especially is the time to do what will make you feel better. I just shopped for myself even though I'm on a budget now with medical bills. Oh well. Whatever it takes, do it.

bosoxs45 said:
I made the call to ask my doctor for a referral and try an SSRI.  Hopefully it will work out. 
I went on these and it really made a difference.  Obviously, you don't want it to be a lifetime thing, but it is a key way to start turning things around.  Best of luck. :thumbup:  

Promotion has me under 10x the amount of stress.

I can't maintain personal relationships.

I feel like my life is a failure and has been for a while. Feels like everyone hates me. I'm feeling like it's time to pull the plug and find peace.

I feel like my life is a failure and has been for a while. Feels like everyone hates me. I'm feeling like it's time to pull the plug and find peace.
At least try some things first.  Try counselling, medication and if you need to, change careers.  You can find peace and joy again in life, I guarantee it.  Reach out for some help first and keep all options on the table.

I go to the point where I was dying inside and come to find out it was the career I had locked myself into which I never truly enjoyed.  It may be your career, or it may not be, but at least give yourself a chance.

GL, RNR...I'll be praying for you.

I second what Jayrod said. Try a few things, (meds, counseling, job change, etc.), and see what happens. Please don't give up. You are a great individual and worthy of so much.

Ketamine Dreams said:
I second what Jayrod said. Try a few things, (meds, counseling, job change, etc.), and see what happens. Please don't give up. You are a great individual and worthy of so much.
Is the first post of mine you have ever read?

Jayrod said:
At least try some things first.  Try counselling, medication and if you need to, change careers.  You can find peace and joy again in life, I guarantee it.  Reach out for some help first and keep all options on the table.

I go to the point where I was dying inside and come to find out it was the career I had locked myself into which I never truly enjoyed.  It may be your career, or it may not be, but at least give yourself a chance.

GL, RNR...I'll be praying for you.
I tried those things 

I'm a terrible messed up person

no solving that

I tried those things 

I'm a terrible messed up person

no solving that
Have you seen a psychiatrist? For immediate relief, you need to get properly diagnosed and probably on some meds. You also need to want to help yourself. You I'm guessing are young with a life ahead of you. Who wants to remain miserable? No one else can do it nor can meds alone. It's like AA. It won't work unless you are fully committed. See a psychiatrist to get a firm diagnosis and get on meds. You'll need to allow 6-8 weeks for it to work. Surround yourself with positive people and people who care about you. Change what you can like job, where you live, etc that's causing duress. Support groups are a great place not only to learn coping techniques from those in your shoes but to make friends. I've made some awesome friends in my cancer group. They get me. It's different than my other friends.

See if there is a NAMI chapter near you. The best resource out there. http://www.nami.org/

I've seen cases when I thought no way but these people are doing much better. They work on it though daily, and along with meds for their diagnosis, they are leading good lives.

Always assume someone saying they are suffering is not schtick. Always want to try and help. It's the humane thing to do. This is not a topic to "win." That's part of the problem with those suffering. IRL, they may not look it and they feel alone. This can lead to a sad outcome.

Users who are viewing this thread