Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Guitar Novice Question

zamboni

After several years of deliberation, I've decided to take the plunge and learn to play guitar. Just picked up an acoustic over the weekend.

I plan to take some lessons from a local music shop, but in the interim, do any of you experienced players have any recommendations on good books, websites, etc. that can get me started?

TIA

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, I don't really have any suggestions other than to get started on your lessons as soon as possible. Trying to learn out of a book or from a website will probably only frustrate you. Once you've been able to learn some of the fundamentals from an instructor (or a friend who plays), you'll be in a much better position for self-study, IMO.

Sorry, I don't really have any suggestions other than to get started on your lessons as soon as possible. Trying to learn out of a book or from a website will probably only frustrate you. Once you've been able to learn some of the fundamentals from an instructor (or a friend who plays), you'll be in a much better position for self-study, IMO.

That's what I figured. Thanks though.

After several years of deliberation, I've decided to take the plunge and learn to play guitar. Just picked up an acoustic over the weekend.

I plan to take some lessons from a local music shop, but in the interim, do any of you experienced players have any recommendations on good books, websites, etc. that can get me started?

TIA

What kinda of music do you want to play?

If you are just going to learn music you already have a familiarity with, then learn how to read tablature. Here is a sample I found for "Carry On My Wayward Son" by Kansas.

Some lessons will help at first (I took two years worth in high school), but if you already have an ear for music, tabs can get you started.

guitarnoise.com has some good beginner lessons and songs.

Here's my fav: Wish You Were Here

Even better for beginners is "Mother".....

basically 2 chords and a real good song to practice strumming. Just getting the feel for strumming and holding these chords is half the battle....

Well, your battle at least. You'll never be Eddie.

:mellow:

TIA

If you are just going to learn music you already have a familiarity with, then learn how to read tablature. Here is a sample I found for "Carry On My Wayward Son" by Kansas.

Some lessons will help at first (I took two years worth in high school), but if you already have an ear for music, tabs can get you started.

That's pretty much up my alley - classic rock, singer/songwriter stuff (Neil Young, Cat Stevens, etc).

My plan is definitely to leard the chords/tabs and go from there.

:blackdot:

The next time you refer back, you can expect to hear of my wrapping the guitar around a tree. And not in a Pete Townshend performance kind of way.
I need to learn how to play. Need it.
Same here - should have done it ages ago. Might have helped me get more tail.

TIA

That's pretty much up my alley - classic rock, singer/songwriter stuff (Neil Young, Cat Stevens, etc).

There you go.

Just get 2 or 3 chords down and practice strumming/changing chords. Elvis' "That's Alright Mamma" was the one that got me going on the acoustic.

TIA

There you go.

Just get 2 or 3 chords down and practice strumming/changing chords. Elvis' "That's Alright Mamma" was the one that got me going on the acoustic.

On the chord transitions, try to find music that shows specific finger placement, or at least try to determine when you can use an anchor finger. For example, on songs with A, D and E chords, transitions are a lot easier if you always keep your index finger on the G (third) string.

guitarnoise.com has some good beginner lessons and songs.

Here's my fav: Wish You Were Here

Even better for beginners is "Mother".....

I have carved out "Pigs On The Wing" to be the first song I learned, but open to suggestions.

Basically the same song... Which is cool so, you can play around with the different ways to STRUM!

Again, i think Strumming is most of the battle at this level.... And switching between the chords.

You should probably play these songs every day for a bit and as you build up a repetoire use it to 'Warm up" before you tackle the next challenge of the day - Maybe a new chord?

TIA

There you go.

Thanks, man. Will look to jam some day with the Turnbulls. :popcorn:

:popcorn:

The next time you refer back, you can expect to hear of my wrapping the guitar around a tree. And not in a Pete Townshend performance kind of way.
I need to learn how to play. Need it.
Same here - should have done it ages ago. Might have helped me get more tail.
When I was young, a wise man told me that if I wasn't good enough to play varsity sports, to learn guitar and play in a rock band. Sage advice.

TIA

There you go.

Thanks, man. Will look to jam some day with the Turnbulls. :popcorn:
:shock:

Just remember, if you get discouraged with the guitar, there's always the bass.

I started because my son wanted a guitar for his birthday because he loved Guitar Hero

I got him the Fender Squire pack which came with a Fender Squire guitar, a carry bag, 10 watt amp and a starter instructional book.

In an effort to have my son ##### to me about how the strings hurt his fingers instead of the guy I was going to be paying $40 an hour for lessons, I picked it up the book and started learning some of the basics so I could work with him on them.

Within a month, I was playing basic open chord stuff. I'd say that was March / April of last year

I'd say that instructional book is really good because it worked for me.

Since then, I've still never taken a lesson, got a few pointers from friends, and played about an hour a day. I have worked my way up to about 12 - 15 songs I can work my way through (some better than others). Mostly stuff from tabs I've found online. I'm not good by any stretch of the imagination, but really do enjoy playing and don't ever see myself stopping.

I actually played bass for about a year when I was 13. Problem was it didn't have the same jamming-around appeal as the guitar does.

I started because my son wanted a guitar for his birthday because he loved Guitar HeroI got him the Fender Squire pack which came with a Fender Squire guitar, a carry bag, 10 watt amp and a starter instructional book.In an effort to have my son ##### to me about how the strings hurt his fingers instead of the guy I was going to be paying $40 an hour for lessons, I picked it up the book and started learning some of the basics so I could work with him on them.Within a month, I was playing basic open chord stuff. I'd say that was March / April of last yearI'd say that instructional book is really good because it worked for me.Since then, I've still never taken a lesson, got a few pointers from friends, and played about an hour a day. I have worked my way up to about 12 - 15 songs I can work my way through (some better than others). Mostly stuff from tabs I've found online. I'm not good by any stretch of the imagination, but really do enjoy playing and don't ever see myself stopping.

Nice. :hot:

I started because my son wanted a guitar for his birthday because he loved Guitar HeroI got him the Fender Squire pack which came with a Fender Squire guitar, a carry bag, 10 watt amp and a starter instructional book.In an effort to have my son ##### to me about how the strings hurt his fingers instead of the guy I was going to be paying $40 an hour for lessons, I picked it up the book and started learning some of the basics so I could work with him on them.Within a month, I was playing basic open chord stuff. I'd say that was March / April of last yearI'd say that instructional book is really good because it worked for me.Since then, I've still never taken a lesson, got a few pointers from friends, and played about an hour a day. I have worked my way up to about 12 - 15 songs I can work my way through (some better than others). Mostly stuff from tabs I've found online. I'm not good by any stretch of the imagination, but really do enjoy playing and don't ever see myself stopping.

Nice. :thumbup:
Now if the damn kid would pick up the real guitar like he does that damn guitar hero one, we'd be getting somewhere

Mel Bay has some good learner books.... I would master "bar chords". One you can play bar chords up and down the neck you can play a ton of songs

This is what I'm working on now. Driving me nuts

iVideoSongs.com

For any aspiring guitarists out there, here is a site for you. iVideosongs is launching at DEMO today after two years in the making. It offers video tutorials on how to play guitar from world-class instructors, musicians and sidemen. You won’t find instruction videos from Slash here (yet), but there are guitar videos from Graham Nash, John Oates, and Alex Lifeson (the guitarist from Rush). This site seems to be aimed squarely at the aging Baby Boomer male who still wans to play guitar. And there are a lot of those. But, actually, anyone can learn from the videos, which are quite good. The videos are large and clearly show closeups of exactly what you need to do.

The startup was founded in 2006, and has raised $3 million in angel funding. It’s spent the past two years licensing rights to song libraries from all the major music publishers. The site offers some free tutorial videos, but most cost $5 (for instructor videos) or $10 (for artist videos). Compare this to $35 to $40 an hour for guitar lessons.

That’s the beauty of the Internet: you can be taught by the best instructors at a fraction of what they would charge you for a one-on-one session. With each download, you get one song, broken up into bite-sized chapters for learning a song’s intro, verse, chorus, bridge, and outro. Artist videos also include interiews where they talk about their influences, guitar-picking history, and inspiration for a particular song. The site is launching with a catalog of 50 songs, plus 25 free tutorials. By the end of the year, it hopes to have 1,000 different songs. Instructions for how to play the drums and keyboard are available as well.

In addition to what everyone else posted, I'd also highly recommend you go to a bookstore, find some guitar magazines that feature the kinds of music you like to play (Guitar World, Acoustic Guitar, etc.), and then get a subscription. I've always found the lessons within these magazines helpful whenever my playing seems to stagnate. And every month, there'll be transcriptions and tabs for at least a couple of songs that you'd be familiar with. Plus, with the interviews, articles, etc., they're very helpful in getting you familiar with the world of guitars and keeping your interests up. Best of luck.

I actually played bass for about a year when I was 13. Problem was it didn't have the same jamming-around appeal as the guitar does.
Well, then there's Phil Lesh and his minions - Dave Schools, Rob Derhak and Mike Gordon.I primarily play bass and the cool thing is you can get started much faster and fake it a little more at the start..... I played "out" after playing bass for about 2 months...Guitar you may strum a bit at a decent level but, there's a much longer way to go till your "Jammin" or soloing comfortably...I feel that playing both helps out as well...

Thanks for the bump/new info.Got started a bit, and have learned a handful of chords so far. Stuck on the A minor chord - that one is a bear. On to lessons in the near future.

What's causing you problems? Can you play an E chord? If so, use the exact same fingering just down one string.

A few basic suggestions for those starting out on guitar:

1) Learn all of the open major and minor chords. If you have trouble fretting the entire chords, concentrate on fretting the high strings first, then work on stretching to fret the bass/root notes.

2) Learn the major and minor bar chords. Hard as hell at first, but with practice, you'll be able to play the chord progressions for just about any rock song by using only four hand positions.

3) Practice the pentatonic minor (minor blues) scales all over the neck, then if you're feeling a little bit country(!), try the pentatonic major scales too. These will allow you to practice soloing and improvising over chord progressions.

4) Practice the major and minor scales all over the neck as well. With a lot of practice, you'll be able to mix in more notes when improvising.

I'm not saying you'll be able to pick this all up in a year, but if I was a guitar teacher these are the things I would probably focus on with a beginning guitar player. Good luck, it's fun.

Thanks for the bump/new info.Got started a bit, and have learned a handful of chords so far. Stuck on the A minor chord - that one is a bear. On to lessons in the near future.

What's causing you problems? Can you play an E chord? If so, use the exact same fingering just down one string.
I'm fine with the E minor, it's the third finger with the A minor that's giving me problems. Can't seem to fit all three fingers on the second fret.

A few basic suggestions for those starting out on guitar:1) Learn all of the open major and minor chords. If you have trouble fretting the entire chords, concentrate on fretting the high strings first, then work on stretching to fret the bass/root notes.2) Learn the major and minor bar chords. Hard as hell at first, but with practice, you'll be able to play the chord progressions for just about any rock song by using only four hand positions.3) Practice the pentatonic minor (minor blues) scales all over the neck, then if you're feeling a little bit country(!), try the pentatonic major scales too. These will allow you to practice soloing and improvising over chord progressions.4) Practice the major and minor scales all over the neck as well. With a lot of practice, you'll be able to mix in more notes when improvising.I'm not saying you'll be able to pick this all up in a year, but if I was a guitar teacher these are the things I would probably focus on with a beginning guitar player. Good luck, it's fun.

Thanks, Moe. :rolleyes:

I'm a very impatient person. I find myself constantly touching the strings next to the strings I'm pushing down and it's driving me nuts. My fingers really aren't that fat. Am I just not holding the neck correctly or using a bad angle with my fingers? Is that just a matter of practice?

What would be a good starter guitar for and adult and for a kid ?

Others have a lot more insight than I do, but I got a Yamaha F350. Seems to be a popular starter guitar. Got a used one for $99 - new ones seem to go in the $150-200 range.I don't know about kids' ones, but I can find out from a few friends of mine.

The "D" always gave me a hard time.Actually, it still does. :rolleyes:

F was always hard for me -- you start with the basis for your first bar chord at the lowest position on the neck, which requires a lot of finger strength and stretching.

The "D" always gave me a hard time.Actually, it still does. :thumbdown:

F was always hard for me -- you start with the basis for your first bar chord at the lowest position on the neck, which requires a lot of finger strength and stretching.
:thumbdown:

The "D" always gave me a hard time.Actually, it still does. :thumbdown:

:thumbdown:
I don't even bother with that one.

I have been thinking about this for awhile, glad I saw this thread !I have a question...What would be a good starter guitar for and adult and for a kid ?

Get an acoustic with a solid top. I got a Silvertone SD50 on ebay. It was a beater but it still sounds good. For an electric I bought a squier to play with. They are cheap and sound fine for what you will be doing with them. Don't put a lot of money into your first guitar or that first ding will make you sick. Buy a cheap one and upgrade when you get decent. I would like to sell both of mine but shipping costs make it hard to do.

Can't seem to fit all three fingers on the second fret.

3 fingers at the same fret? Are you sure you're not meaning an A major not A minor? If that's what you're talking about, you can cheat and bar all 3 frets with the same finger. You'll mute the high E string, but the chord will still sound OK.

Hard

Easy

Btw, I've always kind of wished I took the time to learn it the hard way at first, because I can't make myself go back and do it now.

If you're actually talking about an A minor bar, then disregard all this.

3 fingers at the same fret? Are you sure you're not meaning an A major not A minor? If that's what you're talking about, you can cheat and bar all 3 frets with the same finger. You'll mute the high E string, but the chord will still sound OK.

Hard

Easy

Btw, I've always kind of wished I took the time to learn it the hard way at first, because I can't make myself go back and do it now.

Yeah, I think you have A minor and A major mixed up. A minor is just E major shifted down a string.

p.s I play A major the easy way too.

Hard

Easy

Yeah, I meant the A major - my bad.

A buddy of mine also told me to use one finger to grab all the strings. I had the same issue that you said - muting the high E, but if that is a common thing, then I guess I am OK.

Archived