What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Board Games (2 Viewers)

I’m sure it’s been mentioned but Spot it is an awesome game. All ages can play with your 7 year old just as likely to win as yourself. Quick and very fun game for all ages. 

Sheriff of Nottingham - very fun with family or friends.  Kingdomino an easy and fun new family game.  Man, I have a ridiculous number of games. :excited: :nerd:

I've played Catan about 4x and each time it took like 4-5 hours.  Too long and it made everyone really angry as we finished at like 2:00 AM.

What's the best advice to speed it up without ruining the fundamentals and balance of the game?  I want to like it, but it's been frustrating thus far.

I've played Catan about 4x and each time it took like 4-5 hours.  Too long and it made everyone really angry as we finished at like 2:00 AM.

What's the best advice to speed it up without ruining the fundamentals and balance of the game?  I want to like it, but it's been frustrating thus far.
Are you enforcing the full trading rules?

Is it an expansion?  

Did you download better settlers? Are you using their maps?

4 hrs is insane. 90min should be normal if no noobs.  

I should really have this thread bookmarked. I live in the upstairs apartment of an old house and my friends who live downstairs have more than 100 games. I recognize most of the games mentioned in here.

Dominion is my all-time favorite and I have a few of the expansions myself. Lately we've been really into Concordia. It's a longer game (2+ hours), easy to learn but hard to get good at. I've played 4 times and really enjoyed all of them.

Son and I have started playing Star Realms - fun deck building game with a destroy the other guy's armada theme.  Fun and quick, like 15-20 minutes.
I've really been enjoying this one lately. The luck factor can be a little frustrating, but like you said the play time is quick, so if you don't get the right cards you just take your beating and then play again.

There's also a really good free app for it which has become a nice timewaster.

Spartans Rule said:
I've really been enjoying this one lately. The luck factor can be a little frustrating, but like you said the play time is quick, so if you don't get the right cards you just take your beating and then play again.

There's also a really good free app for it which has become a nice timewaster.
:yes:   That is where I learned the rules to teach to my son. Just picked up the expansion Colony Wars and a few booster packs, because I cannot stand to do anything halfway. :bag:

Also grabbed Welcome to the Dungeon.  Looks like another similar game for 2-4, quick games, etc.

For the Exploding Kittens fans....

They came out with Bears vs. Babies.  It's a lot of fun for the 4 of us (me, wife, 11, 9yr old boys).

Must be out of print because I was going to get it but am not paying 99 bucks for it.  
Yeah, it was regular retail not too long ago, I had looked at it and not gotten it.  Like Captain Sonar, give it a couple of months and it will be back.  Or check your local game store.  I try to support them as much as possible and not buy online if they have it, even at higher cost. 

A guy that works for me just bought Gloomhaven.  A bunch of the team are getting together this weekend to play (although I won't be able to make it).  Supposedly very cool and completely different every time you play it.

Was just introduced to Dominion a couple weeks ago.  Really enjoyed the game.

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned here, but Dominion.games is the online.  I've only cracked the surface, but it seems to be free so far.   

Not sure if anyone here is on there playing, but I created my account as Caesar.  I only know the base game so far, but plan to branch out to expansions, starting with Empires (brcause I own that one, but haven't had a chance to play it yet.)

Last edited by a moderator:
A guy that works for me just bought Gloomhaven.  A bunch of the team are getting together this weekend to play (although I won't be able to make it).  Supposedly very cool and completely different every time you play it.

This game is ridiculous and incredible. Girlfriend and I have been working on the same campaign about once every week or so

Was just introduced to Dominion a couple weeks ago.  Really enjoyed the game.

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned here, but Dominion.games is the online.  I've only cracked the surface, but it seems to be free so far.   

Not sure if anyone here is on there playing, but I created my account as Caesar.  I only know the base game so far, but plan to branch out to expansions, starting with Empires (brcause I own that one, but haven't had a chance to play it yet.)
The base game is free to play on that site. The expansions require a subscription. It's more than I want to pay, but it wouldn't be prohibitive if we got some sort of FBG Dominion group going.

The base game is free to play on that site. The expansions require a subscription. It's more than I want to pay, but it wouldn't be prohibitive if we got some sort of FBG Dominion group going.
I just read that on there as well, but it also says only one subscription needed per game, so does that mean only one person in the group has to be a subscriber for the whole group to play with the expansion cards?  That's how I read it.

Family still playing a lot of Kingdomino.  Galaxy Trucker gets worked in among others.  Saw a couple of interesting looking strategy games called Quarto and Quoridor I might pick up this weekend.

Ebay has a flood of Chinese versions of Condottiere for $10 including shipping. The only printed language stuff in the game is on the board and that appears to be identical to the normal English version, just need to dl the English instructions. We'll with it for 10 bucks.

This is an excellent conquest card game with a lot of flexible mechanics which make it very interactive. Great game for 4 or 5 players. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ebay has a flood of Chinese versions of Condottiere for $10 including shipping. The only printed language stuff in the game is on the board and that appears to be identical to the normal English version, just need to dl the English instructions. We'll with it for 10 bucks.

This is an excellent conquest card game with a lot of flexible mechanics which make it very interactive. Great game for 4 or 5 players. 
Very cool.  I placed an order from a seller in Hong Kong that says they will include the English instructions.  We will see how it looks in 2 weeks. ;)

https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!gamelobby

Here's a website where you can play board games for free if you are willing to put up with a promo message sometimes before the games start. Personally I paid for the subscription because I was playing so much and it's only the cost of a reasonably priced game in order to play for a whole year.

They have something like 125+ games to play including some really good and popular games like Tokaido, Takenoko, Carcassone, Stone Age, Puerto Rico. etc

Here's a website where you can play board games for free if you are willing to put up with a promo message sometimes before the games start. Personally I paid for the subscription because I was playing so much and it's only the cost of a reasonably priced game in order to play for a whole year.

They have something like 125+ games to play including some really good and popular games like Tokaido, Takenoko, Carcassone, Stone Age, Puerto Rico. etc
Whoa. 

:thumbup:

I'm addicted to Can't Stop!. Takes 5 minutes to play and for some reason I enjoy it as a time waster. I can't seem to break the 400 ELO mark...

We picked up Scythe after a long love affair with Terraforming Mars. Scythe seems to have a lot more strategy in it.
For those interested in Scythe, one of the "print and play" games of the year was a kid friendly skin for Scythe .  It was a My Little Pony version of it some guy made for his daughter but since it won one of the boardgamegeek awards, he took down the download and is modifying it to be both less "get sued by my little pony" and more boy friendly.

Yep, Terraforming Mars and Isle of Skye (both recently pimped) for great prices, along with all-time classic 7 Wonders.

Just ordered Terraforming Mars and Isle of Skye, both supposed to be fantastic.  Feel bad not going to my LGS but man I give them a ton of money annually already.

Went to the LGS at lunch and picked up a new game called Sabordage and also Munchkins XMen.

so who has actually played Gloomhaven? supposedly it's like the best board game ever.

this looks like something I would enjoy, but I doubt I could talk my regular casual gamers into getting on board. my wife would call me a nerd, and my buddies would want to turn it into a drinking game and then get too wasted to play.

maybe I need new friends.  :(

Picked up Kahuna, a fun and relatively short 2-player game.  Also grabbed Can't Stop!  That is a fun one that my wife loves.  Got completely shut out first game of that, won the 2nd.  Great game to talk with the kids while playing.

Followed up another great session of "Red Dragon Inn" with a social deduction game "Deception". It was interesting. Each player is dealt in front of them three (or four, in a bigger game) cards with murder weapons on them, and then three or four cards with "clue items". Everyone can see everyone else's cards on the table. Then everyone is secretly dealt a role--1 murderer, 1 accomplice, 1 witness, 1 forensic scientist, and then everyone else is a generic investigator. Everyone closes their eyes, and then the murderer and accomplice reveal themselves to the forensic scientist, and the murderer chooses one of the murder weapons and clue items that he's been dealt as the 'method of the crime'. They close their eyes and the witness reveals himself, and the forensic scientist tells him who the murderer and accomplice are (but not which is which).

The forensic scientist then can only communicate by selecting clues on prepared cards that reveal the cause of death (options for illness, bodily injury, suffocation, blood loss, etc) and location (options for kitchen, bathroom, living room, etc), plus four random cards with options for time of death, state of the scene (messy, tidy, wet, etc), and a few others. The scientist is trying to get people to put together what cards the murderer has pointed out are his method of the crime. Each investigator gets like 30 seconds to pitch how they think the clues point to a particular target, then the next player gets a turn. The murderer and accomplice pretend to be investigators too, and come up with theories to lead people down the wrong track. The witness knows pretty well who did it, so knows who to lead people towards.

Each player gets one and only one guess as to exactly who the murderer is, and exactly which to cards they're using as the method of the crime, and if they're right, the murderer and accomplice get one final turn... if they can point out who the witness was that lead them to the correct answer, they can "kill" him and get away with murder. Otherwise the witness survives and they lose. 

It was fast and fun, and a bit of a brain teaser. Depends on the cards dealt and how creative the person playing the "forensic scientist" is. But we'll be playing it again soon, for sure.
Sounds fun, like werewolf and clue

I have. It's by no means the best board game ever, but fanatsy nerds who like a dungeon crawl will put it on their short list for favorite game I'm sure.
Played it several times.  While a good game, be prepared for long setup times, four-player limits, and a silly "you're out of cards, so you die" mechanic that can easily have you dropping dead walking across an empty room.  Much prefer the Pandemic series.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a game for 6 people? Most have played Settlers, Ticket to Ride, CAH, etc. We're looking for something in that ballpark, or if we have to one of those annoying 'adult' party games. Most pepe's are in their 40's except for one teenager.

Users who are viewing this thread