What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Scotch Whisky Thread (2 Viewers)

Ray Karpis said:
Bucky86 said:
How is Macallan 12? Just had a bottle sent to my office.
I like it. Easy to drink. I'm a relative newb, but I put it easily ahead of Balvenie Doublewood, Highland Park 12, and Dalwhinnie 15.
Macallan is a Speyside, as Cletus notes above, so it's really a different animal from the HIghland Park (an Island) and the Dalwhinnie (a Highland).

Ray Karpis said:
Bucky86 said:
I like it. Easy to drink. I'm a relative newb, but I put it easily ahead of Balvenie Doublewood, Highland Park 12, and Dalwhinnie 15.
Macallan is a Speyside, as Cletus notes above, so it's really a different animal from the HIghland Park (an Island) and the Dalwhinnie (a Highland).
Oh, I know it's not an apples comparison. Just saying as someone just getting into it who is tasting a lot of different things, I prefer it to the others.

Ray Karpis said:
Bucky86 said:
Oh, I know it's not an apples comparison. Just saying as someone just getting into it who is tasting a lot of different things, I prefer it to the others.
Makes sense. When I used to drink scotch but wasn't really into it, I'd drink Glenlivet and Glenfiddich mostly. Now I can't really drink any of the speysides unfortunately. They just don't have "it" for me like the Islays and some of the Highlands and Islands have.

Ray Karpis said:
Bucky86 said:
Makes sense. When I used to drink scotch but wasn't really into it, I'd drink Glenlivet and Glenfiddich mostly. Now I can't really drink any of the speysides unfortunately. They just don't have "it" for me like the Islays and some of the Highlands and Islands have.
Let me ask you this: I don't really care all that much for the heavy, smokey taste of the Highland Park. I have, however, had a few scotches in the past that have had a salty, seawater-ish taste - which I really liked. Any recommendations on something that might fit the bill?

Ray Karpis said:
Bucky86 said:
Let me ask you this: I don't really care all that much for the heavy, smokey taste of the Highland Park. I have, however, had a few scotches in the past that have had a salty, seawater-ish taste - which I really liked. Any recommendations on something that might fit the bill?
Actually, I can't recall tasting a scotch that would fit that description. Do you recall the names of any of them? I'd like to give them a whirl.

Ray Karpis said:
Bucky86 said:
Actually, I can't recall tasting a scotch that would fit that description. Do you recall the names of any of them? I'd like to give them a whirl.
Campbeltown region, perhaps?

CampbeltownOnce the whisky capital of Scotland, there are only three distilleries remaining in Campbeltown. The Scotch here is peaty, and has a salty hint and a briny character.

Famous (remaining) distilleries: Glen Scotia, Glengyle, Springbank.

Ray Karpis said:
Bucky86 said:
Laddie 10

Picked up the Glenlivet Nadurra 16 on the way home last night. Quite different than the Macallan 12 - not sure if I like it yet.

Digging this McAllan 12 with a big ice cube.
Awesome. As someone said above, the 18 is better but the 12 is certainly very solid. Good stuff.
The Macallan 12 is like the BMW 3 series. It's low end of the good stuff, but consistently and reliably good, solid, and a safe choice.

I also like the Lag 16 as noted above. The Talisker 18, which I haven't found on shelves in a while, knocked my socks off.

Randomly picked up a bottle of something new to me -- Dalwhinnie 15 year. Never heard of it before.

It's so so smooth. Really enjoying it.

Randomly picked up a bottle of something new to me -- Dalwhinnie 15 year. Never heard of it before.

That's a speyside, isn't it? I think I've got a bottle in my cabinet.

Bought a bottle of Isle of Jura Superstition today. I can quit searching for the best scotch.

I am not saying that this is the best, just that it does not have to be any better.

I could happily limit myself to this wonderful aqua vitae.

What do ya'll think of Makers 46? Got it at work.
I think it's not scotch.
What's the difference. :oldunsure:
It's bourbon. And bourbon is not scotch. Both are delicious IMO but I drink more bourbon than scotch because of cost.
I drink more scotch than bourbon because of the taste.
Thanks for reminding me I'm poor.
Not my intent. I prefer Dewar's White, Cutty Sark, The Famous Grouse and Johnny Red over most bourbons.

Bought a bottle of Isle of Jura Superstition today. I can quit searching for the best scotch.

I am not saying that this is the best, just that it does not have to be any better.

Wow, I had a bottle of this in my hands today when I stopped by Binny's on a whim to buy a bottle of single malt. I put it down because I haven't tried Jura yet and went with Laphroaig 18 instead.What are the odds that you would not only buy it today but then also bump this thread?

That's settles it, I'll need to go back tomorrow and pick up the Jura as well. Will report back ;)

What do ya'll think of Makers 46? Got it at work.
I think it's not scotch.
What's the difference. :oldunsure:
It's bourbon. And bourbon is not scotch. Both are delicious IMO but I drink more bourbon than scotch because of cost.
I drink more scotch than bourbon because of the taste.
Thanks for reminding me I'm poor.
Not my intent. I prefer Dewar's White, Cutty Sark, The Famous Grouse and Johnny Red over most bourbons.
:puke: I like scotch but can handle low-end bourbon much better than low-end scotch. JW red is crap, IMO.And FTR, I'm not poor, I've just got a wife and four kids. I have to drink A LOT to stay sane.

Last edited by a moderator:
Psychopav said:
RandyDB said:

Wow, I had a bottle of this in my hands today when I stopped by Binny's on a whim to buy a bottle of single malt. I put it down because I haven't tried Jura yet and went with Laphroaig 18 instead.What are the odds that you would not only buy it today but then also bump this thread?

That's settles it, I'll need to go back tomorrow and pick up the Jura as well. Will report back ;)
I just ordered a bottle of this and the Isle of Jura Prophecy. Can't wait to imbibe in a wee dram or two

We've talked a little about ice balls earlier. My buddy got me a couple ice ball molds for Christmas, and they are very cool.

But this takes it to a whole different level. I HAVE to get one of these.

You can skip to the 2:30 mark if you just want to see coolness in action, but the whole video is pretty cool.
Kutta - I forgot you had posted this. Got to see one in action a couple months back. Was very cool.

That's a speyside, isn't it? I think I've got a bottle in my cabinet.
Highland
Yep it's pretty smooth - I had a glass last night at a restaurant and I was very impressed. I like most scotches but I tend to go for Highlands. I've been branching out into more peaty scotches as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm just starting to get into Scotch having only recently started trying it. A couple friends of ours are much more seasoned scotch folk than myself but have invited us over a few times to sample quite a few varieties. My wife, who actually has slightly more experience with it than I do, has similar preferences to me. Our favorite, so far, has been Talisker (and I just got her the Talisker 18). So our friends just got us a Ledaig 10 for Christmas (recommendation from local liquor store as being similar to the Talisker) and tried it for the first time last night.

I didn't see it mentioned here so thought I'd post about it. All 4 of us thoroughly enjoyed it and the consensus was that it could definitely be a daily drinker. At $50, something you guys might want to try if you haven't already.

Just got into Scotch about a year ago and have tried several.

Love Glenlivet but it get's pricey so the "everyday" is Famous Grouse.

Has anyone tried Tomatin 12?

When I was at the Sam Adams Utopia tasting, the liquor store owner compared it favorably to the Macallan 12, which sells for twice as much.

So I'm just starting to get into Scotch having only recently started trying it. A couple friends of ours are much more seasoned scotch folk than myself but have invited us over a few times to sample quite a few varieties. My wife, who actually has slightly more experience with it than I do, has similar preferences to me. Our favorite, so far, has been Talisker (and I just got her the Talisker 18). So our friends just got us a Ledaig 10 for Christmas (recommendation from local liquor store as being similar to the Talisker) and tried it for the first time last night.

I didn't see it mentioned here so thought I'd post about it. All 4 of us thoroughly enjoyed it and the consensus was that it could definitely be a daily drinker. At $50, something you guys might want to try if you haven't already.
:thumbup:

That Talisker 18 is one of my favorites out there.

I last night enjoyed the Macallan 15 year fine oak, and I have to say, while I used to find my Johnny Blue the most "smooth" scotch in my cabinet, this Macallan 15 may actually be smoother (and at a fraction of the price). Forgot how good this stuff is.

My mother got me a bottle of Chivas Regal 18 yr.....wanted to exchange it cause I prefer single malt over blended. But it turns out she forgot that she bought it at duty free. So no exchange possible.

Was disappointed but as my wife said when I got home, it's not like it's going to make me gag. :)

Has anyone tried Tomatin 12?

When I was at the Sam Adams Utopia tasting, the liquor store owner compared it favorably to the Macallan 12, which sells for twice as much.
I got a sampler pack with the 12, 18 and 21 (or 12, 15, 18?). Anyways, just tried the 12 so far, it was pretty good. I thought it was a bit raw, kind of a rubbing alcohol kind of initial hit neat, but I did enjoy the glass I had. I added a little bit of water (1/2 teaspoon or so) and that helped mellow it out just enough.

Users who are viewing this thread