What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Chris Johnson Hype machine (1 Viewer)

I took Willie Parker over Westbrook last year based partly on the so called "geniuses" of the Shark Pool felating him every chance they got. Last time I'll let this forum have any weight on my drafting again.

Chris Johnson is this years' FWP.

Don't believe the HYPE
I'd love to see a link to all the posts where FWP was hyped over Westbrook. That's a bit difficult to imagine.
:hot: I bet there wouldn't be more than one or two guys that said Parker should be taken over Westbrook.
Archives are your friendHere's a poll where FWP & Gore both beat out Westbrook...151 people voted.

Willie Parker v. Westbrook thread more geniuses had FWP than Westbrook as far back as '06 LOLZ.

How quickly we forget Andy.
It must be unbearably emasculating to walk through life expecting everyone to make your decisions for you.Sack up, son, and start drawing your own conclusions without checking to see which way the wind blows in the Shark Pool. There's no shame in watching the lemmings race by.
:shock:
:lmao: :lmao:

My criticism was aimed toward the members of this MB who are always looking for the next big thing so they can pat themselves on the back as a genius and say "I told you so, I was hyping PLAYER X way back in June, I'm a fantasy Genius"I've seen that act on this MB before, the links I provided proved it.
That does happen... but some of the guys on these forums are pretty darn good at spotting talent. Look at Bloom and his hyping Marshall way way back, there was some guy who brought Boldin to everyone's attention before he blew up.Those are different than a thread like this, since those guys weren't heralded rookies. It's when those guys speak that I listen.
Right, because heralded rookies never blow up. :shock:
:unsure: Heralded rookies are expected to blow up. So when someone predicts McFadden is going to be great, then comes back and pimps himself for saying it... well, that's not much. When someone goes out on a limb and touts a guy no one else has heard of and they blow up, then people should take notice.
Don't worry guys.....don't be upset with switz.. you are insulting his "claim to FBG's fame". He feels like he discovered Boldin. Yes he posted about him on here, but who cares :shrug: . We all saw him play at Florida State, he was a 2nd round pick for god sakes (obvious talent)......get over yourself, you made a post about a player on a message board.
Whatever :cry: Jealousy will get you nowhere. I'm sure if you made a great call, you'd be touting yourself like no other. :lmao:
This :nerd: fight is funny and distrubing at the same time.

Johnson has put on a few pounds of muscle since the combine, as well. His frame will allow for even more muscle weight, but that's neither here nor there.
I'm wondering why you say this? I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but am wondering what it is about CJ that makes you think he can.
CJ can do anything;
Except run through a shoe string tackle LOL 1:34
He's totally abuses the safety in this video at 00:40.I'm sure Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, Jim Brown, O.J. Simpson, and so on and so on, have been "shoe-string" tackled at some point in their careers. No, I'm not comparing CJ to those players at all, but hey, you gotta admit, Chris Johnson has impressed more than he has disappointed.

I don't care about a guy's size. It's irrelevant. If it was important, Sanders and Smith would've never made it to the NFL. I don't even know why people argue about CJ's size, because he is by no means a small guy.

On a side note Switz, I'm not trying to start an argument, and I do love your postings and your views and your opinions(seriously), but you just come across all high and mighty sometimes. You act as if everybody else's opinions are inferior to yours.

Johnson has put on a few pounds of muscle since the combine, as well. His frame will allow for even more muscle weight, but that's neither here nor there.
I'm wondering why you say this? I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but am wondering what it is about CJ that makes you think he can.
CJ can do anything;
Except run through a shoe string tackle LOL 1:34
He's totally abuses the safety in this video at 00:40.I'm sure Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, Jim Brown, O.J. Simpson, and so on and so on, have been "shoe-string" tackled at some point in their careers. No, I'm not comparing CJ to those players at all, but hey, you gotta admit, Chris Johnson has impressed more than he has disappointed.

I don't care about a guy's size. It's irrelevant. If it was important, Sanders and Smith would've never made it to the NFL. I don't even know why people argue about CJ's size, because he is by no means a small guy.

On a side note Switz, I'm not trying to start an argument, and I do love your postings and your views and your opinions(seriously), but you just come across all high and mighty sometimes. You act as if everybody else's opinions are inferior to yours.
Written communication leaves much to be desired. My tone is NEVER meant as insultory or arrogant.

My criticism was aimed toward the members of this MB who are always looking for the next big thing so they can pat themselves on the back as a genius and say "I told you so, I was hyping PLAYER X way back in June, I'm a fantasy Genius"I've seen that act on this MB before, the links I provided proved it.
That does happen... but some of the guys on these forums are pretty darn good at spotting talent. Look at Bloom and his hyping Marshall way way back, there was some guy who brought Boldin to everyone's attention before he blew up.Those are different than a thread like this, since those guys weren't heralded rookies. It's when those guys speak that I listen.
Right, because heralded rookies never blow up. :thumbup:
:eek: Heralded rookies are expected to blow up. So when someone predicts McFadden is going to be great, then comes back and pimps himself for saying it... well, that's not much. When someone goes out on a limb and touts a guy no one else has heard of and they blow up, then people should take notice.
Don't worry guys.....don't be upset with switz.. you are insulting his "claim to FBG's fame". He feels like he discovered Boldin. Yes he posted about him on here, but who cares :lmao: . We all saw him play at Florida State, he was a 2nd round pick for god sakes (obvious talent)......get over yourself, you made a post about a player on a message board.
Whatever :lmao: Jealousy will get you nowhere. I'm sure if you made a great call, you'd be touting yourself like no other. :bag:
This :nerd: fight is funny and distrubing at the same time.
Funny thing is I was really just kidding around :lol:

Well, I just bought into the Chris Johnson franchise - just took him at 1.07 in my dynasty rookie draft.

switz said:
Well, I just bought into the Chris Johnson franchise - just took him at 1.07 in my dynasty rookie draft.
Who went 1-6 and what's your scoring format?

Last edited by a moderator:
I took Willie Parker over Westbrook last year based partly on the so called "geniuses" of the Shark Pool felating him every chance they got. Last time I'll let this forum have any weight on my drafting again.

Don't believe the HYPE
I'd love to see a link to all the posts where FWP was hyped over Westbrook. That's a bit difficult to imagine.
:popcorn: I bet there wouldn't be more than one or two guys that said Parker should be taken over Westbrook.
Archives are your friendHere's a poll where FWP & Gore both beat out Westbrook...151 people voted.

Willie Parker v. Westbrook thread more geniuses had FWP than Westbrook as far back as '06 LOLZ.

How quickly we forget Andy.
Good finding out.I guess I should have said "given that we're talking about non-PPR". Which we all were in those threads that you linked.

One thing I will say about Johnson. He may be small, but he doesn't avoid contact. He will put a shoulder into someone if need be. Certainly knows how to use his speed, and runs more north-south than east-west.

switz said:
It doesn't matter, as this was the most absurd draft I've seen for dynastyMcFaddenFelix JonesJames Hardy- a non rookie - Jonathon StewartDevin Thomasin that order- yes, I left Mendenhall out there to take Chris Johnson.

switz said:
It doesn't matter, as this was the most absurd draft I've seen for dynastyMcFadden

Felix Jones

James Hardy

- a non rookie -

Jonathon Stewart

Devin Thomas

in that order

- yes, I left Mendenhall out there to take Chris Johnson.
EBF will NOT be happy. :confused:

switz said:
It doesn't matter, as this was the most absurd draft I've seen for dynastyMcFadden

Felix Jones

James Hardy

- a non rookie -

Jonathon Stewart

Devin Thomas

in that order

:goodposting:

switz said:

Felix Jones

James Hardy

- a non rookie -

Jonathon Stewart

Devin Thomas

in that order

:thumbup:
:popcorn: :lmao:

switz said:

Felix Jones

James Hardy

- a non rookie -

Jonathon Stewart

Devin Thomas

in that order

:unsure:
:goodposting: :unsure:
We have small rosters for a dynasty league, and I want to win this year, I didn't want to have a player I needed to stash for a year. Johnson probably won't put up numbers to match Mendenhall in '09, but he should be better this year. As I've said a number of times, I forsee about 1000 total yards 4-6 TDs. He'll be a #3/Flex player for me.

switz said:

Felix Jones

James Hardy

- a non rookie -

Jonathon Stewart

Devin Thomas

in that order

:unsure:
:mellow: :unsure:
We have small rosters for a dynasty league, and I want to win this year, I didn't want to have a player I needed to stash for a year. Johnson probably won't put up numbers to match Mendenhall in '09, but he should be better this year. As I've said a number of times, I forsee about 1000 total yards 4-6 TDs. He'll be a #3/Flex player for me.
Do you think those numbers would leave him with just a 1% chance at ROY?

switz said:

Felix Jones

James Hardy

- a non rookie -

Jonathon Stewart

Devin Thomas

in that order

:excited:
:bag: :yes:
I wasn't :unsure: about you leaving Mendenhall, I was referring to the bolded selections of WRs in the top 6 picks.

Wow :thumbup: / :lmao: . Yes, let's ignore all of the bad calls anyone has made and look at their hit percentage on guys that they hit on...? Even someone who has an incredible eye for talent (note, this is probably not you) will have an even smaller chance at predicting fantasy success, let along a near fantasy stud. Think about the following:

You need the right talent, the right opportunity, the right system and the right health. There are a lot of unpredictable elements in here. Even top scouts will get the first wrong a lot.

Saying that there is any skill in the matter is just sad. Sorry. :lmao:
Not sure if the bolded part was aimed at me or not, since it was my post you replied to , but nevertheless :confused: overall.There is skill involved in predicting NFL talent - but that doesn't guarantee success because of all the factors you mentioned. No one can predict opportunity, system, or health accurately.

Quite frankly though, there are some guys on these forums that are very good at spotting talent. There are some guys that post on these forums that actually work in professional football. They're not just armchair QBs.

The guys that hit more frequently than they miss, and year after year are consistently better than average - there's more to that than luck.

But the average joe who is hyping Chris Johnson, a first round pick, like he discovered hidden gold is pretty ridiculous.
I was a little down on Johnson personally. I thought he lacked effort when he didn't have the ball in his hands. So I passed on him at 1.08 in a Dynasty draft for Charles. That may be a mistake. Probably was. But I'm still happy to go with my own convictions and not always follow the crowd. If you can do that and yet still have a bit of an eye for talent, I think you can do well in Dynasty leagues.

switz said:

Felix Jones

James Hardy

- a non rookie -

Jonathon Stewart

Devin Thomas

in that order

:D
:goodposting: :unsure:
When I expect the other RBs to do better, yes. Plus ROY isn't always about production. A lot of it has to do with who is most marketable for the NFL... and that would be players like McFadden, or players on teams with huge fan bases. Regardless, I think at least two rookies finish with nearer to 1500 total yards, and in double digit TDs.

Bump as we get closer to drafts for a lot of us on this weekend.

Where has CJ been going in drafts recently? Preferably PPR drafts if possible. Is he getting snagged in the 8th-9th round? Before then?

Don't believe the HYPE
:porked: I bet there wouldn't be more than one or two guys that said Parker should be taken over Westbrook.
I think you guys have short memories. Here's fftoday's preseason 2007 rankings http://www.fftoday.com/rankings/playerproj...&LeagueID=1 (sorry, only one I could find)It does have Westy at 7 and Willy at 8, but to say only one or two guys had Parker ranked higher than Westy on thier preseason ranking last year is just silly. I think Parker went ahead of Westy in one of my leagues last year (not sure) but in my 10 teamer, I took Westy/Henry at the turn.

Don't believe the HYPE
:porked: I bet there wouldn't be more than one or two guys that said Parker should be taken over Westbrook.
I think you guys have short memories. Here's fftoday's preseason 2007 rankings http://www.fftoday.com/rankings/playerproj...&LeagueID=1 (sorry, only one I could find)It does have Westy at 7 and Willy at 8, but to say only one or two guys had Parker ranked higher than Westy on thier preseason ranking last year is just silly. I think Parker went ahead of Westy in one of my leagues last year (not sure) but in my 10 teamer, I took Westy/Henry at the turn.
I already ate some crow on that. But it wasn't ridiculous to rank Parker over Westbrook in non-PPR leagues.

I already ate some crow on that. But it wasn't ridiculous to rank Parker over Westbrook in non-PPR leagues.
No, it wasn't ridiculous and I'm pretty sure Parker came out ranked higher in non-PPR leagues before the draft pretty consistently across the board. I know Draft Dominator had him ranked higher, and so did I, so I picked him.Parker was the "safe" pick last year after the studs were gone. I see Addai in that role this year.I'm still fuming over that one, but anyone who says they knew is lying.

switz said:
switz said:

Felix Jones

James Hardy

- a non rookie -

Jonathon Stewart

Devin Thomas

in that order

:popcorn:
:goodposting: :popcorn:
When I expect the other RBs to do better, yes. Plus ROY isn't always about production. A lot of it has to do with who is most marketable for the NFL... and that would be players like McFadden, or players on teams with huge fan bases. Regardless, I think at least two rookies finish with nearer to 1500 total yards, and in double digit TDs.
I think the Steelers have a pretty large fan base. 1500/10? That's awfully tough as a rookie, I'll take the under.

No, it wasn't ridiculous and I'm pretty sure Parker came out ranked higher in non-PPR leagues before the draft pretty consistently across the board. I know Draft Dominator had him ranked higher, and so did I, so I picked him.Parker was the "safe" pick last year after the studs were gone. I see Addai in that role this year.

I'm still fuming over that one, but anyone who says they knew is lying.
There were naysayers last year if you look up some old posts. But the big difference should have been obvious in the preseason if people would have listened - they took Parker off GL role. If his TDs hadn't dropped so much, he would have still been decent.I'm not sure what you mean about Addai this year - are you expecting him to drop off? Or do you just see him as "safe" and not "elite"?

From Rotoworld:

Rookie Chris Johnson "is going to play a huge role this fall, both running the ball and catching it," according to the Nashville Tennessean.

Johnson is averaging 8.8 yards per carry through two preseason games. The Tennessean thinks he may not hold up at only 5'11/197, but the Titans figure to leave most inside running to LenDale White. The ratio of overall touches could be closer to an even split. We project Johnson to catch 43 passes.
Too conservative. Gregg and I have gone back and worth about Johnson for weeks. Rotoworld should be out front on Johnson even more than they already are, but Gregg loves LenDale for some reason. I think LenDale White is exactly the kind of RB you draft if you have no interest in winning your league.

I think LenDale White is exactly the kind of RB you draft if you have no interest in winning your league.
:confused: The guys a bum and i'll guarantee TEN doesn't resign him when his contract is up. Also no other team will sign him as their starter.Lendale will get some carries, but that isn't due to being good, it's just that they don't have anyone else outside of Chris Johnson to give carries to.

From Rotoworld:

Rookie Chris Johnson "is going to play a huge role this fall, both running the ball and catching it," according to the Nashville Tennessean.

Johnson is averaging 8.8 yards per carry through two preseason games. The Tennessean thinks he may not hold up at only 5'11/197, but the Titans figure to leave most inside running to LenDale White. The ratio of overall touches could be closer to an even split. We project Johnson to catch 43 passes.
Too conservative. Gregg and I have gone back and worth about Johnson for weeks. Rotoworld should be out front on Johnson even more than they already are, but Gregg loves LenDale for some reason. I think LenDale White is exactly the kind of RB you draft if you have no interest in winning your league.
LenDale is the perfect back for the Titans offense. I'm not sure how people don't get that. He's a grinder, gets the tough yards, keeps the clock moving. He's the type of back Fisher loves. He fits that team's mentality perfectly.As for 43 receptions... I certainly hope so, but I'm finding it difficult to believe, only because so far Johnson's hands haven't impressed me. He's dropped almost everything thrown his way. OK maybe not that much, but he's been dropping a lot of passes. I had initially thought Johnson would be a great receiver out of the backfield, and that his speed would help him get yards. I am worried a bit after watching him in preseason. But I'm hoping he does well.

From Rotoworld:

He is fatter now than last year and not very good at all. Horrible on the talent meter. He just "runs downhill" thru the gaping 6 six foot holes our line opens. Do you know what will happen when our line opens those holes for Johnson? :mellow:

I think the Steelers have a pretty large fan base. 1500/10? That's awfully tough as a rookie, I'll take the under.
Peterson 1609/13 (missing two games)Addai 1408/8 (part time)Edge 2139/17MJD 1377/15 (part time)JLewis 1660/6Portis 1872/17 (wasn't opening day starter)Taylor 1644/17LT 1603/10Almost every year over the past 10 years a rookie puts up @ 1500 total yards and 10+ TDs

From Rotoworld:

LenDale is the perfect back for the Titans offense. I'm not sure how people don't get that. He's a grinder, gets the tough yards, keeps the clock moving. He's the type of back Fisher loves. He fits that team's mentality perfectly.As for 43 receptions... I certainly hope so, but I'm finding it difficult to believe, only because so far Johnson's hands haven't impressed me. He's dropped almost everything thrown his way. OK maybe not that much, but he's been dropping a lot of passes. I had initially thought Johnson would be a great receiver out of the backfield, and that his speed would help him get yards. I am worried a bit after watching him in preseason. But I'm hoping he does well.
Let's just hope it was only rookie jitters and that he has them out of his system.

You are going to see a lot of CJ and Lendale on the field at the same time. There is no way TEN can afford to leave CJ off the field, he is their only playmaker.

Frank Wychek was on Mike and Murray today talking about the Titans (he works for them now) and he said a few interesting things about CJ. He called CJ "Curtis Martin with 2 jetpacks on his back". Said that CJ is not just a receiver and someone who runs "Reggie Bush" type plays. He said he is a between the tackles runner as well. Also, he said that he expects CJ to be much more than just a 10-15 touch per game guy. I wish I had a transcript but this is just what I remember from listening in the car a few hours ago.

Frank Wychek was on Mike and Murray today talking about the Titans (he works for them now) and he said a few interesting things about CJ. He called CJ "Curtis Martin with 2 jetpacks on his back". Said that CJ is not just a receiver and someone who runs "Reggie Bush" type plays. He said he is a between the tackles runner as well. Also, he said that he expects CJ to be much more than just a 10-15 touch per game guy. I wish I had a transcript but this is just what I remember from listening in the car a few hours ago.
Good news for the CJ hype machines. I still cap his number of carries because I can't see him enduring too many between the tackles runs or big hits.

It's frustrating - CJ is really shooting up the mocks now that everyone is getting a glimpse of him. I was hoping people wouldn't notice, but I think the cat's out of the bag. Just hoping that he is still around after the late 5th.

Good news for the CJ hype machines. I still cap his number of carries because I can't see him enduring too many between the tackles runs or big hits.
Hypothetically speaking, if Johnson gets up to 210/215, while maintaining his 4.2 speed, would you still cap his carries?

I know that his frame/BMI make it seem that he can't run well between the tackles, but I didn't see that when I watched him. I thought he ran between the tackles pretty well. It's more a question of holding up to a pounding than whether he is strong/tough/smart enough to run between the tackles. He is, IMO.

It's frustrating - CJ is really shooting up the mocks now that everyone is getting a glimpse of him. I was hoping people wouldn't notice, but I think the cat's out of the bag. Just hoping that he is still around after the late 5th.
I got to participate in the SOFA Auction experts league last night. My whole gameplan was based on getting Chris Johnson late as a cheap flex. I felt pretty good b/c Gregg Rosenthal did the SOFA draft league the night before and Johnson didn't go until late. Unfortunately, it was The Huddle.com's David Dorey and I bidding back and worth from about $8 on. When it got to $23, my computer froze up. I was willing to go to at least $28 or $30, but Dorey ended up with him. Ruined my whole week.Seems like it's tough to tell when you'll be able to jump on Johnson in drafts. With some of us extremely high on him, it's tough to count on him being available late. I think it depends what kind of league you're in.

Wow :thumbup: / :lmao: . Yes, let's ignore all of the bad calls anyone has made and look at their hit percentage on guys that they hit on...? Even someone who has an incredible eye for talent (note, this is probably not you) will have an even smaller chance at predicting fantasy success, let along a near fantasy stud. Think about the following:

You need the right talent, the right opportunity, the right system and the right health. There are a lot of unpredictable elements in here. Even top scouts will get the first wrong a lot.

Saying that there is any skill in the matter is just sad. Sorry. :lmao:
Not sure if the bolded part was aimed at me or not, since it was my post you replied to , but nevertheless :thumbup: overall.There is skill involved in predicting NFL talent - but that doesn't guarantee success because of all the factors you mentioned. No one can predict opportunity, system, or health accurately.

Quite frankly though, there are some guys on these forums that are very good at spotting talent. There are some guys that post on these forums that actually work in professional football. They're not just armchair QBs.

The guys that hit more frequently than they miss, and year after year are consistently better than average - there's more to that than luck.

But the average joe who is hyping Chris Johnson, a first round pick, like he discovered hidden gold is pretty ridiculous.
I was a little down on Johnson personally. I thought he lacked effort when he didn't have the ball in his hands. So I passed on him at 1.08 in a Dynasty draft for Charles. That may be a mistake. Probably was. But I'm still happy to go with my own convictions and not always follow the crowd. If you can do that and yet still have a bit of an eye for talent, I think you can do well in Dynasty leagues.
This is were your wrong my friend, see, it's not about "following the crowd" but more like "believing your eyes." Anyone who's actually watched this kid play cannot deny that there's something very, very special about him. There are a countless number of player that defied the norman and he has that type of talent. "twocents"

Tex

Users who are viewing this thread