What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Phrases/terms that need to be retired immediately (6 Viewers)

Clapback

I mean, did we really need an alternate word for "respond"?

And if you're clapping back did someone clap forward/at/toward you? How does that work, exactly?

It doesn't mean respond.  More like retort, but worthy of an "oh, snap!"  
Okay. "Retort" then.

Typically the use of"clapback" is about as witty as the retort it's describing.

Retort - say something in answer to a remark or accusation, typically in a sharp, angry, or wittily incisive manner.

Clapback - say something in response to a remark or accusation, typically not particularly well thought out but liberally laced with profanity.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do any of these mean? Never heard any of them and have no idea of the context?
Just means to get what you want, accomplish the thing you are after, etc.

A: Did you end up getting that exciting new you have been talking about?

B: I have one more interview tomorrow

A: You got his, secure the bag

Just means to get what you want, accomplish the thing you are after, etc.

A: Did you end up getting that exciting new you have been talking about?

B: I have one more interview tomorrow

A: You got his, secure the bag
Wow, that sounds worse than I had even imagined. I think if I had someone say that to me, I'd probably throat punch them before I could stop myself.

Never heard that term. What does it mean?
In drug terms (which is where it originated) is your supplier

In general use it means someone who hooks someone else up with something they wanted or needed. I got the kid the copy of the notes he missed. 

Here’s one that might just be exclusive to education.

Kiddos

For some reason over the last couple of years instead of saying “kids” or “children” educational professionals seem to like saying “kiddos”.  “So if your kiddos need extra time to log in...”  “We need to make sure the kiddos are lining up in order...”

Hey, Darrin?  Just say “kids”.  Not only are you not Australian you have a PhD in some sort of BS kid science ####.  I mean I know it’s from University of Phoeni$ but just stop

Are people just now complaining about clapping back?

It originated as slang for "gunfire"

Ja Rule clapped back at 50 Cent in song.

We gon' clap back/yeah, we clap back

or the Roots...

We went to Millersville to get away from guns clappin'

or a hybrid of this thread...

Got our plug safe/now we gon' clap back at some kiddos

or the Roots...

If you don't shut up, I'm gonna clap the back of your head.

or the Roots...

Clap back as morphed into people clapping as they yell.  Which is so annoying.  Anybody who does this should be shot in the back of the head immediately.  You know.  A clap back.

McJose said:
Here’s one that might just be exclusive to education.

Kiddos

For some reason over the last couple of years instead of saying “kids” or “children” educational professionals seem to like saying “kiddos”.  “So if your kiddos need extra time to log in...”  “We need to make sure the kiddos are lining up in order...”

Hey, Darrin?  Just say “kids”.  Not only are you not Australian you have a PhD in some sort of BS kid science ####.  I mean I know it’s from University of Phoeni$ but just stop
:goodposting:  My daughters 2nd grade teacher used this 6 times in the intro email she sent to parents.

<anything> gate

Tired of this. Especially its overuse in football.
God yes. I was just thinking about this after reading some drivel about the University of Texas locker room airconditionergate.

Just stop this lazy naming of controversies.  :hot:

This thread makes me wonder if I am out of touch or lucky as I have never heard of about 80% of these things. Perhaps a little bit of both I suppose.

Not necessarily a phrase or term, but I can't stand it when people sign off emails with "Best".  Best what?   

A fresh epidemic: announcers calling quarterbacks by their first names during game calls.  "And now you see this strange decision by Baker . . . ." or "look at what happens during this rollout by Jameis."  Just stop it already.  

A fresh epidemic: announcers calling quarterbacks by their first names during game calls.  "And now you see this strange decision by Baker . . . ." or "look at what happens during this rollout by Jameis."  Just stop it already.  
I've come to hate 99.99% of all announcers.  Back when there were 3 channels, we had like 4 great announcers for all sports.  Then ESPN came around and we got about 10 great announcers, but also 6 bad ones.  Now, with all these channels and every game being televised, they could honestly pull a name out of a hat and have that fan from the stands do the announcing and it would be about the same.  Maybe better.  Have you ever put on ESPN3 during March Madness and watched a SWAC quarterfinal match up?  Dear Lord, these people are downright awful.  They make the "And boom goes the dynamite" guy look like Al Michaels.  

I've come to hate 99.99% of all announcers.  Back when there were 3 channels, we had like 4 great announcers for all sports.  Then ESPN came around and we got about 10 great announcers, but also 6 bad ones.  Now, with all these channels and every game being televised, they could honestly pull a name out of a hat and have that fan from the stands do the announcing and it would be about the same.  Maybe better.  Have you ever put on ESPN3 during March Madness and watched a SWAC quarterfinal match up?  Dear Lord, these people are downright awful.  They make the "And boom goes the dynamite" guy look like Al Michaels.  
My friends and I have discussed this subject peripherally. We reached the conclusion that there are fans who listen to the announcers and fans who don't. I stopped listening to them back in the 80s (just about the time your ESPN example revved up) because it seemed like everything that could be said had already been said. 

My friends and I have discussed this subject peripherally. We reached the conclusion that there are fans who listen to the announcers and fans who don't. I stopped listening to them back in the 80s (just about the time your ESPN example revved up) because it seemed like everything that could be said had already been said. 
So you just watch games with no sound?  Interesting.  I hadn't thought of that.  I'm not sure I could do that.  Do you put the CC on?  Because as much as I hate the announcers, there are times they give out vital information as to what's happening.  So I feel like if I go with no sound, I lose some of that.

Regards. All the best. 

This one is pretty innocuous to get worked up over.

Best,

Everybody.
It's in the pet peeves list, but I hate when people are so lazy that they put "Thanks," ahead of their signature.  You're too lazy to type Thanks?  And I especially love when they type "Thanks" and I get the double thanks.

Me personally, I say Thanks at the end of every email.  But when I stop saying Thanks and just have my name, that's when you know I'm no longer happy with the situation.  

Regards. All the best. 

This one is pretty innocuous to get worked up over.

Best,

Everybody.
Not worked up at all.  It's just dumb.

"Regards" makes sense. 

If you're using "all the best" in a work email, you're a do0shnozzle.

Sounds like someone actually uses this as a signoff.   :excited:

Throwing shade

And Clap back

I understand I'm old and these are some sort of millennial, social media phrases. But when I see them in the media, I growl.

Users who are viewing this thread