What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Phrases/terms that need to be retired immediately (3 Viewers)

People saying "It is what it is" like it's some kind of deep philosophical approach to life.
I will say "it's what it is." I don't say it like some kind of genius philosophy, just as a way to end a conversation with someone who is complaining to me about something that not that significant and totally out of my control. It is a good convo ender because it doesn't place any blame on anyone, is very neutral and offers nothing to respond back to. 

Covid related:

"In these trying/troubling/challenging times"

"Now more than ever"

Non Covid related:

"Taking it to the next level"

"Step up", as in "With the starting QB out, the rest of the team will really need to step up."

I don't have anything against the phrase per se, but I feel like reality TV ruined it for me. It's probably the second most overused phrase in that genre (after the runaway winner, "I'm not here to make friends").

Whenever I'm tempted to use it, I think of reality contestants and my low opinion of them, and I find another way to phrase whatever it is I'm trying to say

I don't normally watch hockey but enjoy checking in a few games in the playoffs.

in the 2-3 period break - I watched 3 different knuckleheaded announcers say "that's what playoff hockey is all about" 6 times within 3 minutes.

it's so overused in all sports -  "that's what ________________ is all about"

I don't normally watch hockey but enjoy checking in a few games in the playoffs.

in the 2-3 period break - I watched 3 different knuckleheaded announcers say "that's what playoff hockey is all about" 6 times within 3 minutes.

it's so overused in all sports -  "that's what ________________ is all about"
That's like guys that all they do on Twitter is talk about Arby's 

"Literally" 

If you don't have kids then you might not have come up with this that much... but it is out of control on Youtube and my kids have picked it up and the way they use it I am positive that they have no idea what the word means. 

Last edited by a moderator:
"Literally" 

If you don't have kids then you might not have come up with this that much... but it is out of control on Youtube and my kids have picked it up and the way they use it I am positive that they have no idea what the word means. 
Agreed. And the way you might describe it, is, well, cringe. Also retire-worthy.

"Literally" 

This has been misused for about 5-10 years now. I think it’s so misused that they have considered changing the meaning. 

"Literally" 

This has been misused for about 5-10 years now. I think it’s so misused that they have considered changing the meaning. 
We've had a couple rounds of retiring Literally in here... I linked to a viral story of one of my neighbors who owns a bar kicking out and banning people who used the word incorrectly... I'll try to find it. so not just kids, unless you count millennials (and I do count them). 

eta: link

"Literally" 

It's like, literally, like, mindblowing.

Users who are viewing this thread