What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Phrases/terms that need to be retired immediately (6 Viewers)

I have no problem with text shorthand, it seems an effective way to communicate in shorthand. Every profession, hobby, etc. has lots of acronyms. It is normal and sensible human behavior.

internet ads and headlines that start with "one weird trick that XXXX"
related internet headline i first saw this morning, featuring the hot chick from BSG :"Robot Handjobs Are The Future, And The Future Is Coming."
thanks for not posting a link. now "robot handjobs" is in my search history.
Big Bang had a show about this. Did not work out well for the engineer that decided to to use it for this purpose.

Use of the word "Humbling" or its variants when a person is being recognized for an achievement.

Humbling means that you've been brought perspective or worse brought back down in size.

You can humbly accept the recognition but being recognized for actual achievement should not be humbling.

Saying that the recognition is humbling implies that you thought too much of your achievement in the first place.

this has probably already been posted, but i'm not reading 57 pages. Football broadcasters using the term "extracurricular activity" to describe when players are fighting has to end now.

Use of the word "Humbling" or its variants when a person is being recognized for an achievement.

Humbling means that you've been brought perspective or worse brought back down in size.

You can humbly accept the recognition but being recognized for actual achievement should not be humbling.

Saying that the recognition is humbling implies that you thought too much of your achievement in the first place.
I use "humiliating" but that just because of the type of awards I get.

Not a phrase/term, but can we please stop having some idiot do push-ups when the team scores? It looks soooo stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Excellent post. Totally agree. Can't stand this.

"Where they do that at?"

girl1: "The office had a potluck and Teresa brought a open bag of Doritos."

girl2: "Open bag of Doritos!?, no way!!"

girl1: "yeah, where they do that at?"

girl1: "And that trick Jennifer came in tracking dirt all over the kitchen... where they do that at??"

girl2: "I don't know. A half bag? Lord Jesus"

"Of late" to mean lately.

Is that an east coast thing? I never hear anybody in real life say that, but I see it in the Shark Pool a lot, and occasionally on ESPN or the NFL Network. It might sound okay in certain literary contexts, but it always seems weird in casual conversation IMO.

Is that an east coast thing? I never hear anybody in real life say that, but I see it in the Shark Pool a lot, and occasionally on ESPN or the NFL Network. It might sound okay in certain literary contexts, but it always seems weird in casual conversation, IMO.
I have to say that I used to hear that term a lot, but of late not so much.

Business: "Let me ping <so-and-so>". Unfortunately I catch myself saying this from time to time.
"ping" used to infer talking to a person, as in "I'll ping him on that and get back to you."

People are not remote hosts captain nerd.
Ping.... as in "let me ping so and so to get his opinion". I'm an IT guy who troubleshoots TCP/IP all the time, and I like submarine movies as well, but enough is enough.

"Where they do that at?"

girl1: "The office had a potluck and Teresa brought a open bag of Doritos."

girl2: "Open bag of Doritos!?, no way!!"

girl1: "yeah, where they do that at?"

girl1: "And that trick Jennifer came in tracking dirt all over the kitchen... where they do that at??"

girl2: "I don't know. A half bag? Lord Jesus"
Who does that?

Going over anything but a real cliff needs to go. "Cliff" The Fiscal Cliff for example.

"The new normal" is getting old as well.

Is that an east coast thing? I never hear anybody in real life say that, but I see it in the Shark Pool a lot, and occasionally on ESPN or the NFL Network. It might sound okay in certain literary contexts, but it always seems weird in casual conversation IMO.
Uh, Joe uses "Of Late" incessantly in his email updates (specifically rushing/passing matchups)

"These days," "nowadays," and especially "in times like these" when implying how much tougher people have it now than in some undefined past time. This is mainly something I hear in commercials and political conversations. I mean, those lucky punks in the past who got to live in the cakewalk times of things like indentured servitude and bubonic plague - their suffering can't compare to the troubles we have today like mandatory auto insurance or not being able to afford a new mobile phone every two years.

Users who are viewing this thread